ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Charlie's good tonight... and everynight!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 30 Years Of Ronnie Wood! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
22nd April 2006 06:31 AM
Honky Tonk Man Maybe I have completely overlooked any previous thread mentioning this, but has it occurred to anyone that this is the 30th year of Ronnie being an ACTUAL Rolling Stone? Remember, he was only a hired hand in '75.

Congratulations Ronnie!

Just look at the concentration on the mans face in this photo. The focus and dedication at given us another wonderful guitar solo!
22nd April 2006 08:45 AM
GotToRollMe Damn, 30 years! Time is moving waaay too fast. Ronnie was such a perfect fit for the Stones. Happy Anniversary, Mr. Wood!
22nd April 2006 08:56 AM
Honky Tonk Man I'm having problems with the same thread over at the Tell Me board. Many seem to think that he joined in '75 and someone even stated 1993!

This thread is all innocence. If anyone feels differently as to when Mr Wood joined, then at least use this thread to praise the great man.

I'll be watching my Knebworth '76 DVD later in celebration!

[Edited by Honky Tonk Man]
22nd April 2006 09:06 AM
corgi37 Actually, i thought it was 89 when he became a fully fledged member.
22nd April 2006 09:12 AM
Nellcote HTM, wasn't he ONLY a hired hand for 15 years, starting with TOTA in '75, then the Stones gave him full member status?
Anyway, great thread, He is a Rolling Stone, always the "new kid".
Wish he'd break out that bird coat on the cover of Now Look every now & then...
22nd April 2006 09:17 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Actually, i thought it was 89 when he became a fully fledged member.

In terms of him getting a proper percentage of The Stones earnings, instead of a wage, you're probably right.

Though in my opinion, he joined in 1976. I think that's the year when he was actually unveiled as Mick Taylor’s replacement. I wasn't around back then, but I’m more than certain he was just hired for the ’75 tour and the press was told just that.
22nd April 2006 09:39 AM
Ten Thousand Motels

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
22nd April 2006 09:42 AM
Paranoid_Android All I know is that he is still the 'new guy" in the band
22nd April 2006 11:46 AM
Spru Ronnie is the man. He's a perfect fit in the group. Despite any bitching about his performance in recent years, he has helped this band stay together as long as it has. His solos (esp. slide parts) are highlights of every Stones show. Take the Super Bowl for example, where he stole the show on Start Me Up and most notably Rough Justice. I loved Brain and Mick T, too, but this is evolution in the rock world and Ronnie is the last man standing, 30 years strong.
22nd April 2006 11:56 AM
Poison Dart Ronnie Wood is the man
22nd April 2006 02:03 PM
gustavobala i think: 1975 he still has contract with warner (the faces and solo), then stones couldn´t not say he was a official member, only when the contract was over

22nd April 2006 02:18 PM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
Spru wrote:
His solos (esp. slide parts) are highlights of every Stones show.

If this is true these shows are quite worthless. Wood hasn't played a decent live solo in 15 years. Quite embarrassing.
22nd April 2006 02:50 PM
ExileInLA
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:

If this is true these shows are quite worthless. Wood hasn't played a decent live solo in 15 years. Quite embarrassing.

i agree.
22nd April 2006 04:14 PM
Gazza
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
I'm having problems with the same thread over at the Tell Me board. Many seem to think that he joined in '75 and someone even stated 1993!

This thread is all innocence. If anyone feels differently as to when Mr Wood joined, then at least use this thread to praise the great man.

I'll be watching my Knebworth '76 DVD later in celebration!

You're correct. Woody 'guested' on the 1975 Tour of the Americas but officially became a Rolling Stone in February 1976 (the obvious way of looking at it is that he wouldnt have been on the front cover of Black and Blue a few weeks later and subsequent albums had he NOT been a band member. When did you ever see Billy Preston or any other hired hand on an album cover? Or to look at it another way - Ronnie is on the front cover of 'Emotional Rescue'. Bill isnt. That would hardly have happened had Ronnie been a sideman)

When he joined he was given a salary (as was the case with Mick Taylor). I've read that he was given the choice of getting a percentage for as long as the band lasted or a salary, which would be paid annually over a longer period. With the Stones being already considered veterans when he joined in 1976, supposedly he took the 2nd option as he thought it would benefit him in the long-term. However, as the band ceased to be a live act for 7 years after 1982 and all but stopped working altogether, he was on the verge of bankruptcy by the late 80s. Apparently, this was one of the reasons why he started to sell his paintings.

Like Corgi, I understood for a long time that Ronnie became an equal partner in 1989, and seem to recall reading something around that time which suggested that to be the case. However, and I'm not sure what the ins and outs are, he didnt become an equal shareholder in the band until 1993 when Wyman left. Ronnie effectively replaced him as the 4th business partner in the band at that time.

However, something must obviously have changed in 1989 to help his financial position prior to his 'full membership' by 1993.

[Edited by Gazza]
22nd April 2006 06:27 PM
Spru
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:

He hasn't? What about the solos on Start Me Up, YCAGWYW, Wild Horses, Rough Justice, YGMR, and CYHMK, just to name a few. He definitely played at least a "decent" live solo on CYHMK on the HBO special in 2003. Also, his slide on Monkey Man is far from "embarrassing".
[Edited by Spru]
22nd April 2006 11:39 PM
sammy davis jr. Ronnie is no Jeff Beck....but the Stones don't need or want a Jeff Beck. Ronnie has been a fine fit for thirty years, brought the band back from the brink once. Yeah he's old and can't cut the chops like he used to, but shit, whattareyagonna do? I did watch Paris '76 recently, and he really could play back in the day.
23rd April 2006 03:26 PM
blackandblue
quote:
sammy davis jr. wrote:
I did watch Paris '76 recently, and he really could play back in the day.

In these days Ronnie was in topshape. He and Keith ruled the world!
23rd April 2006 03:29 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
blackandblue wrote:

In these days Ronnie was in topshape. He and Keith ruled the world!

also check 81' Hampton
23rd April 2006 08:06 PM
FrankiePeppers
quote:
sammy davis jr. wrote:
Ronnie is no Jeff Beck....but the Stones don't need or want a Jeff Beck. Ronnie has been a fine fit for thirty years, brought the band back from the brink once. Yeah he's old and can't cut the chops like he used to, but shit, whattareyagonna do? I did watch Paris '76 recently, and he really could play back in the day.

Put Paris '76 on the tracker if you please! It would be great to see Ronnie in his prime.
24th April 2006 11:39 AM
jb God Bless him...it's taken a lkarge tollon him, but , reluctantly, I agree he has been the liason b/t the hateful Jagger/Richards r/s. He has played some nice chops this tour, and was terrific from 75-81. Hopefully, he will continue to improve. he needs, imo, to stop trying to replicate Taylor on some of the more technically challenging songs, and use his own free wheeloing style, as he, nor anyone, could ever match taylor's leads. Nonethless, a great guym said hello to me in the elevator, and proabably the nicest member in the band...Cheers Ronnie(oops!!)..I mean good luck, and continued success.
24th April 2006 12:26 PM
gustavobala
quote:
gustavobala wrote:
i think: 1975 he still has contract with warner (the faces and solo), then stones couldn´t not say he was a official member, only when the contract was over

i wrong, the correct is: "....then stones COULDN´T SAY he was a...."
24th April 2006 02:32 PM
Soldatti Congrats Ronnie, 30 fucking years with the Stones is a record for a non former band member.
24th April 2006 02:40 PM
Saint Sway I am a HUGE Faces fan. And an enormous fan of the guitarist that Ronnie used to be.

that said, it is really sad once you compare Ronnie's 30 yr output and body of work with the Stones to that of Taylor or Jones. What MT & BJ laid down with the Stones in a very short period is some of the finest guitar work ever.

while Ronnie has spent 25 years more than either of them in the band, he has hardly been able to contribute anything worthwhile.

whats his best track? Black Limo? Out of Tears? Hardly the stuff of Taylor or Jones.
24th April 2006 03:00 PM
jb
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I am a HUGE Faces fan. And an enormous fan of the guitarist that Ronnie used to be.

that said, it is really sad once you compare Ronnie's 30 yr output and body of work with the Stones to that of Taylor or Jones. What MT & BJ laid down with the Stones in a very short period is some of the finest guitar work ever.

while Ronnie has spent 25 years more than either of them in the band, he has hardly been able to contribute anything worthwhile.

whats his best track? Black Limo? Out of Tears? Hardly the stuff of Taylor or Jones.

Lets ne fair, Some Girls was excellent.
24th April 2006 03:06 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
jb wrote:

Lets ne fair, Some Girls was excellent.

no doubt the album is a gem. the songs are fun. But its just fast 2 chord garage rock. Which is cool. But nothing special. Theres no guitar solos on it that sing like BJ's slide on No Expectations/Jigsaw Puzzle or MT's solo on Winter or SBD.
24th April 2006 03:12 PM
jb
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

no doubt the album is a gem. the songs are fun. But its just fast 2 chord garage rock. Which is cool. But nothing special. Theres no guitar solos on it that sing like BJ's slide on No Expectations/Jigsaw Puzzle or MT's solo on Winter or SBD.

Who played lead on SFM?
24th April 2006 03:14 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
jb wrote:

Who played lead on SFM?

Keith.
24th April 2006 04:11 PM
blackandblue Wood did excellent jobs on Black and Blue, Love you Live, Some Girls and Tattoo You. He and Keith were the best live couple the Stones ever had (in the period 76-81). Better than Jones-Richards or even Taylor-Richards.
Nowadays Ron has sunk to a fathomless depth. Keith is not doing much better...
24th April 2006 06:05 PM
Honky Tonk Man Thank you Gazza for being the first here to actually AGREE with me. I had real problems over at the Tell Me board with this thread! Some just couldn’t differentiate between being hired in 1975 and being formally announced as a replacement the following year.

Congratulations on 30 wonderful years Ronnie!

Here are some of my favourite Ronnie moments...

Shattered - Still Life
Black Limousine - Tattoo You
Your wonderful performances on the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour. Terrifying, Undercover etc.
Blinded By Rainbows - Voodoo Lounge (I LOVE the sound of his solo on this one!)
Your great solos on the Stripped version of Shine A Light. Breathtaking in its sloppiness.
2005-2006 - For being sober!
24th April 2006 08:05 PM
ezequiel2517 Go, Ronnie, Go!!!
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)