ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Charlie's good tonight... and everynight!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 30 Years Of Ronnie Wood! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
26th April 2006 12:03 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
in 30 years, has Ron Wood even been able to contribute A SINGLE guitar lead that stands up to Taylors amazing work???

the answer is NO, not even one.

I'll be honest; there is NO excusing Ronnie’s pathetic solo on Tumbling Dice, Start Me Up etc. However, Saint Sway, how can you even compare him to Taylor? They immediately became a different kind of live band when Woody joined. They're style of song writing changed too. Gone were epics like Sway, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, etc. Keith now had a guy who he could weave with and truly feel comfortable playing alongside. He couldn’t do that with Taylor because he was always going off in some other direction. I LOVE some of/if not most of their work with Taylor and the live shows we have available are a testament to the fact that he was a wonderful musician, but Woody just doesn’t play like that. Under performing or not, Ronnie is a very different guitarist to Taylor.
26th April 2006 12:10 PM
jb As was BJ's.....another forgotten memeber who only created the band.
26th April 2006 12:38 PM
Jumping Jack Watch Ronnie and Keith play on the RCMH DVD and then tell me they can't play any more.

The Taylor years are a special treat to be treasured forever, but Ronnie and Keith are still great fun. Even more so with an open bar, LOL!
27th April 2006 12:16 AM
Navin
Okay, now regarding Taylor, I am tempted to quote Zappa, "He's more fluid than Jeff Beck..." That IS the problem - Mick Taylor being a musician first and a good one at that, maybe among them "clever bastards" according to Keith...not much of a team player or bandmate.

Now, Wood was a veteran of many 'super-groups' by the mid-70s before joining the one and only 'mega-group' ...He was the "catalyst" and the one who "pulled it all together" according to Wyman...The fact remains that Mr. Ronnie is not just a catalyst to the Stones rebirth but also highly professional, never missed a gig for instance. The same cannot be said of Taylor or even Brian...at the end of his days, Brian was so wasted that, once according to Oldham, he was trying to smoke a cigarette but could not locate his mouth!
27th April 2006 12:29 AM
Lethargy 30 years of Ronnie Wood:

2 years of juiced up amazing weaving
28 years of embarassing shit

Did everyone see the recent header video from earlier this week of Tumbling Dice? The solo made me literally shout in disgust and close the video in disgust without watching the rest. It's just utterly pathetic. Ronnie isn't only a pale comparison to his former self (not to mention Taylor's), he's worse than the average 16 year old semi-retarded American public school student's garage band guitarist.

But oh yeah, he's a funny guy and waves a lot and inspired Keith 30 years ago, so I guess it's ok.

RONNIE WOOD SUCKS DONKEY BALLS!
27th April 2006 12:35 AM
jtorquetti God bless you Ronnie!
27th April 2006 01:43 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Navin wrote:
Brian...at the end of his days, Brian was so wasted that, once according to Oldham, he was trying to smoke a cigarette but could not locate his mouth!

Haven't we all been like that?

Navin, honestly, I adore Woody and HE IS a Rolling Stone. He's skinny enough, he has the right hair and he's COOL. I adore Ronnie. He's being a Stone in his head since he saw them live at the Windsor Jazz and Blues festival in 1964.

Now, and this is where I strongly disagree with you. Brian Jones WAS a true Rolling Stone in every sense of the word. He was as cool as hell, his debauched behaviour and depravity are 100% rock 'n' roll and aside from Keith and Jagger, to me and many, many others. He symbolises the excesses and the highs and lows of being a rock star in the 60's. He may of been sacked a month or so before his death, but his early demise has kind of immortalised him as a Stone forever.
27th April 2006 06:14 AM
Jumacfly there s no debate about Ronnie from 75 to 83.

the guy was a perfect band member, a great slide and lead player, with his own style, more rock n roll than the brilliant MT( turning this thread into another BJ/ MT/RW debate is a big mistake IMHO)
he was the ideal partner of Keith, the weaving and their aptitude to play the blues (See place pigalle, black limo etc etc) was the key of the Stones sound, combined with the amazing rythm section and the perfect singer.

the rest??
First the decline of a band.
but let s mention , of course, the way that Ronnies pays nowadays 30 years of drinking, drugs and partying.
I agree about the horrible(s) solos etc etc...
It s very sad to see, and to listen as well.

Im also sad to see that Mj and Kr didn t involved Ronnie in most of the last records, which could have been a great way for him to give his best.
I mean his freshness and the fact that the guy is may be the most creative member could have seriously improved the quality of those records and IMHFO, would be a better alternative to a dozen of Rehab.

But may be Im too optimistic due to my love for a guy that has wroten one of my all time fav song, "I can feel the fire"
just my 2 cents of course.

cheers

JU

27th April 2006 10:51 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
Ronnie isn't only a pale comparison to his former self (not to mention Taylor's), he's worse than the average 16 year old semi-retarded American public school student's garage band guitarist.

ROTFLMAO!!! I just spit my morning coffee thru my nose!! Hilarious!

27th April 2006 10:15 PM
Navin First of all, what opinion I may have or may have created in the minds of anyone else - should matter least. The facts - they remain and speak loud and clear by themselves to anyone who wants to hear.

And Yes, indeed I am very aware of the impact of Brian Jones both upon the Stones music and lifestyle, the swinging 60s, blues, etc...its just that I am just not interested in dead rock stars, especially those who died even before I was born.

Yes, Brian is indeed the first among rock stars to die of tragic mysterious circumstances at age 27 and during 3-4 of July of the year...he set a pattern for the youthful self-destructive romantic and left behind a legacy - He will remain forever young and beautiful in the eyes of his fans and will not suffer the trials of middle/old age like the other Stones.
28th April 2006 04:05 AM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

I just spit my morning coffee thru my nose

Maybe you should try another brand
28th April 2006 10:07 AM
gustavobala
28th April 2006 10:12 AM
jb It 's not even fair to compare, b/c there is no comparison. They went from a guitar driven, blistering solo's, hard rocking machine, to more of a adult contemporary sound....
28th April 2006 10:19 AM
Saint Sway I love seeing folks here finally come to their senses and acknowledge what I've been saying here for the past 2 years...

quote:
jb wrote:
They went from a guitar driven, blistering solo's, hard rocking machine, to more of a adult contemporary sound....

28th April 2006 12:12 PM
PatrickA I think Ronnie's problem in the soloing department is lack of practice. I'm sure he "jams" a lot. He's still a capable guitarist. It's a shame really especially when you listen back to old shows and how on fire he could be. He has a spontaneous approach to performing that sometimes makes his playing seem like amateur hour. But sometimes he's spot on.
28th April 2006 12:22 PM
jb
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I love seeing folks here finally come to their senses and acknowledge what I've been saying here for the past 2 years...

I have been saying this for 10 yrs here, there, and everywhere
Ipost..............................................>Amen
28th April 2006 12:23 PM
Saint Sway amen!
28th April 2006 01:48 PM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I love seeing folks here finally come to their senses and acknowledge what I've been saying here for the past 2 years...

You mean you have become a disciple of JB
28th April 2006 03:34 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:

You mean you have become a disciple of JB

_________

Yup - he charges up front and takes it in the back...
28th April 2006 07:15 PM
tumbling dice
Ronnie is a perfect partner to Keith in all levels.They are like brothers,great mates.He´s great to put the band up and confident .He´s got some low points live between 89-2002 but when he cleans his act he became stronger than ever.I love all his solo records,especially I Got my own album to do it.

Thank you for the last 31 years.
29th April 2006 03:53 PM
Navin
The Clash could not replicate their 1976-77 sound again ever - not even in their brief 5-year career as a recording/touring act. Do you suppose that if they were around today, would they sound the same, even with the original line up.

Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)