ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Charlie's good tonight... and everynight!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 30 Years Of Ronnie Wood! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
24th April 2006 08:12 PM
Spru
quote:
jb wrote:
God Bless him...it's taken a lkarge tollon him, but , reluctantly, I agree he has been the liason b/t the hateful Jagger/Richards r/s. He has played some nice chops this tour, and was terrific from 75-81. Hopefully, he will continue to improve. he needs, imo, to stop trying to replicate Taylor on some of the more technically challenging songs, and use his own free wheeloing style, as he, nor anyone, could ever match taylor's leads. Nonethless, a great guym said hello to me in the elevator, and proabably the nicest member in the band...Cheers Ronnie(oops!!)..I mean good luck, and continued success.

Amen.
25th April 2006 01:23 AM
jb
quote:
blackandblue wrote:
Wood did excellent jobs on Black and Blue, Love you Live, Some Girls and Tattoo You. He and Keith were the best live couple the Stones ever had (in the period 76-81). Better than Jones-Richards or even Taylor-Richards.
Nowadays Ron has sunk to a fathomless depth. Keith is not doing much better...

Lets not get carried away........Ronnie was great 76-81, but Taylor was the single ,ost dominating musical force ever in the band...I can't tell you how much pleasure it is to listen to him everyday on those boots(sadly, my Gold Brussels disc ruined!!!!!!!!!!!).
25th April 2006 01:39 AM
PeerQueer [quote]jb wrote:

Lets not get carried away........Ronnie was great 76-81, but Taylor was the single ,ost dominating musical force ever in the band...I can't tell you how much pleasure it is to listen to him everyday on those boots(sadly, my Gold Brussels disc ruined!!!!!!!!!!!).
_________

"Single most dominating musical force ever in the band"

Fuckin' hell JB - you can't be serious????????

Taylor could lay down some great licks, no doubt - but I daresay, even Bill overshadows Taylor as far as a "musical force" in the band - and don't even entertain the idea that he ranks with Charlie, Keith, and Mick.

You're such a fag!
25th April 2006 04:58 AM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:

Lets not get carried away........Ronnie was great 76-81, but Taylor was the single most dominating musical force ever in the band...

I think both a certain Mr Jagger and one Mr Richards (both of whom actually WROTE the songs and are/were the driving musical force in the band) may justifiably take issue with you on that statement.
25th April 2006 12:01 PM
jb
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:
[quote]jb wrote:

_________

"Single most dominating musical force ever in the band"

Fuckin' hell JB - you can't be serious????????

Taylor could lay down some great licks, no doubt - but I daresay, even Bill overshadows Taylor as far as a "musical force" in the band - and don't even entertain the idea that he ranks with Charlie, Keith, and Mick.

You're such a fag!

Jagger, in numerous interviews, claimed Taylor was their best player...Charlie recently said Ronnie added nothing musically to the band...Yes, J/R wrote the songs, but Taylor brought them alive..he is simply the greatest musician to ever be on the same stage with the band....and yes, I am a fag....
25th April 2006 12:05 PM
LadyJane Props to Ronnie for 30 years of service.

He'll never get the respect he deserves (see Rodney Dangerfield)

Loyal mate, great guitarist, friendly to the fans.

LJ.

Do NOT engage me a RW vs. MT vs BJ debate. Been there. Done that. All three men made tremendous contributions to this Band.
25th April 2006 12:07 PM
jb
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Props to Ronnie for 30 years of service.

LJ.

Do NOT engage me a RW vs. MT vs BJ debate. Been there. Done that. All three men made tremendous contributions to this Band.

No problem loving Woody...but don't ever compare his playing to that of MT...it's comparing a novice to a maestro.
25th April 2006 12:09 PM
LadyJane
quote:
jb wrote:

No problem loving Woody...but don't ever compare his playing to that of MT...it's comparing a novice to a maestro.

We are all aware of your deep devotion to the great MT.

Oh no...the disc that was destroyed...it wasn't the one we listened to in the Benz was it???

LJ.
25th April 2006 12:18 PM
jb
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

We are all aware of your deep devotion to the great MT.

Oh no...the disc that was destroyed...it wasn't the one we listened to in the Benz was it???

LJ.

Yes...where you couldn't believe your ears..that was MT...not Ron Wood!!!! You have lost all further driving privileges.
25th April 2006 12:26 PM
LadyJane
quote:
jb wrote:

Yes...where you couldn't believe your ears..that was MT...not Ron Wood!!!! You have lost all further driving privileges.

Excuse me...but you DID give props to Ronnie in a post in this thread.

I do NOT discredit MT's greatness.....and that ride was quite memorable. You DID open my eyes!!!! Do you have a replacment en route???

LJ.
25th April 2006 12:36 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
jb wrote:

Jagger, in numerous interviews, claimed Taylor was their best player...Charlie recently said Ronnie added nothing musically to the band...Yes, J/R wrote the songs, but Taylor brought them alive..he is simply the greatest musician to ever be on the same stage with the band....and yes, I am a fag....

_________

A "great player" is a far cry from "musical force". Do you actually play an instrument JB???

Halen, Satriani, Vai, Santanna, etc. are technically, very capable players. The music though, is void of heart and soul when compared to other guitarists of less technical ability like a KEITH FUCKIN' RICHARDS!. Much like people who slag on Dylan's voice...they just don't get it.

Taylor-era Stones was cool - maybe their best work of the entire canon, but Taylor was not the dominant musical force. He joined the band at their creative peak. Good timing. Nothing more.

Taylor w/o the Stones = obscurity.

Ron Wood has a musical legacy unto is own - one of the greatest Rock acts ever. Mr. Wood is not as technically gifted as Taylor...yeah, so what?

Case closed.
25th April 2006 12:39 PM
Dead_Flowers
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Props to Ronnie for 30 years of service.

LJ.

Very well said! I agree
25th April 2006 12:41 PM
Saint Sway Wood's playing with The Faces was amazing. Some of the most underated guitar playing ever. Kick ass stuff.

with the Stones, its been MOSTLY just 30 years of half-assed crap.

[Edited by Saint Sway]
25th April 2006 12:47 PM
PeerQueer [quote]Saint Sway wrote:
Wood's playing with The Faces was amazing. Some of the most underated guitar playing ever. Kick ass stuff.

with the Stones, its been MOSTLY just 30 years of half-assed crap.

____

Yup - Faces is incredible, gritty, fun fun music! And very influential as well.

Ron's Stones output correlates to the decline in ALL the band members creativity. Drugs, Disco, the MTV 80's, the Stones simply could not compete with the massive shift in music and culture at that time. (they still laid down some interesting and credible tracks, but just not up to par with the earlier work...)

Word is Ron and Rod will be touring together later in 07. New album is nearly completed with material worked on between the two for the last five or so years. I for one can't wait!

25th April 2006 12:52 PM
Saint Sway heres a question....

is it possible to even make a 15 song Greatest Hits type collection of Ron Woods best guitar tracks from his 30 years with the Stones that would even come remotely close to comparing with the best of Mick Taylor or Brian Jones?

I cant even think of 15 tracks where he really stands out and shines in a way that Taylor did.
25th April 2006 12:53 PM
jb Yeh, Ronnie, under the influence of ZRod, is somehow going to come alive and plays those great chords from the faces....and I got a piece of swamp land to sell you in Pahookee.
25th April 2006 01:40 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
jb wrote:
Yeh, Ronnie, under the influence of ZRod, is somehow going to come alive and plays those great chords from the faces....and I got a piece of swamp land to sell you in Pahookee.

_________

...I can afford it.
25th April 2006 03:57 PM
sammy davis jr. I can afford it too....I'm looking forward to the Stewart/Wood collaboration as well. Hope it's finished before one of 'em dies. As far as Mick T./Ronnie- at least Ronnie hasn't blown up like a fucking blimp over the past 20 years. My question is: If Mick T is so great, why is he playing roadhouses? For the record, I was also a huge Taylor fan in the 70's, liked his first solo record ok- but what the hell has he really done since?
25th April 2006 04:10 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
sammy davis jr. wrote:
If Mick T is so great, why is he playing roadhouses?

If Ronnie wasnt in the Stones where do you think he'd be stuck playing??? Not MSG!
25th April 2006 04:42 PM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

If Ronnie wasnt in the Stones where do you think he'd be stuck playing??? Not MSG!

Just answer his question. The question is why the God Taylor is playing roadhouses nowadays.
25th April 2006 04:46 PM
gimmekeef Taylor was magnificent for his short tenure.But you know if you listen to him near the end ..live.. his leads were often too extended and meddled a bit taking away from that Stones twin guitar assault..not unlike a certain pianist of late....just my opinion since 1963...
25th April 2006 04:48 PM
Ronnie Richards
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:

_________

A "great player" is a far cry from "musical force". Do you actually play an instrument JB???

Halen, Satriani, Vai, Santanna, etc. are technically, very capable players. The music though, is void of heart and soul when compared to other guitarists of less technical ability like a KEITH FUCKIN' RICHARDS!. Much like people who slag on Dylan's voice...they just don't get it.

Taylor-era Stones was cool - maybe their best work of the entire canon, but Taylor was not the dominant musical force. He joined the band at their creative peak. Good timing. Nothing more.

Taylor w/o the Stones = obscurity.

Ron Wood has a musical legacy unto is own - one of the greatest Rock acts ever. Mr. Wood is not as technically gifted as Taylor...yeah, so what?

Case closed.

Excellent post.
25th April 2006 04:55 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:

Just answer his question. The question is why the God Taylor is playing roadhouses nowadays.

cuz thats the market. Same reason Ron Wood had to play the old Ritz.

it has nothing to do with Taylor's talent. Its the market. Thats just the deal. Plenty of talented folks playing small jukes. In fact, Taylor is in better company in the places he plays than the Stones are in with the places they play (See U2, Coldplay, Cher, Macca, Madonna, Celine, Billy Joel etc)
25th April 2006 08:05 PM
gotdablouse Right, from a musician's standpoint, you probably achieve more in a roadhouse than in a stadium or even an arena, financially and egostically obvisously not. Mick and Keith know that, they got into this for the music after all, I guess they're just trapped by the hangers on who get them to do one ridiculous tour after the other, looks like Charlie is putting an end to this, great !

Back to Ronnie, dunno, the guy is pathetic as far as I'm concerned, Paris 1995 was absolutely terrible in that respect, he just wasn't playing anything. Certainly a nice guy but he's probably one of the reasons the Stones aren't taken seriously anymore and don't take themselves seriously either, and don't push themselves anymore...Hope they can still do what Macca did last year with his Chaos & Creation CD.
25th April 2006 10:54 PM
Navin
Ron Wood LOOKS and has always looked, behaved, and lived just like a 'Rolling Stones' member should...hair blacker than black, and this wild rooster is the coolest rock star wearing shades.

Taylor (like Brian) was just a blonde pretty boy, shy and insecure as hell, who on stage moved less than Bill...a wrong one from the first and not a Rolling Stone by any standards.

Ron Wood = built for speed and built to last.
Also = Only Rock n' Roll (not just the music, but does music belong in Rock n' Roll??)

26th April 2006 12:07 AM
PeerQueer Nice to see the lame-ass anti-Ron Wood posting on this thread backfire!!!

That's justice!

Peace and love to Ron Wood!

See him in 07 with Rod!
26th April 2006 04:53 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Navin wrote:

Taylor (like Brian) was just a blonde pretty boy, shy and insecure as hell, who on stage moved less than Bill...a wrong one from the first and not a Rolling Stone by any standards.

I'm sorry Navin, but I don't think I have EVER read such utter bullshit in my entire life.

Okay, I know that ultimately, you’re referring to Mick Taylor, but Brian? Jesus! He was just a blond pretty boy? Brian Jones was one of, if not THE ultimate rock 'n' roll star and sadly, later on, casualty of the 1960's. He was a Rolling Stone through and through. Oh, and didn’t he form the band?
26th April 2006 06:46 AM
Zack I once famously said that despite five years in the band, MT was never really a Rolling Stone, and Woody was a Rolling Stone long before he ever joined.

While Ronnie is no Taylor, he was an effective lead guitarist for the 75/6 and 78 tours. He played at full volume in 81, and his growing sloppiness was covered by the lightning tempos that gave everything a surreal feel.

But after the 80s hiatus, he simply lost his chops. Why he lost it so bad is not clear. One quote from the last Rolling Stone feature bugged me. Ronnie said he was relieved when he joined the Stones. "Somebody else can call the shots." What kind of musician wouldn't want to call the shots musically? Especially since his work with the Faces was so brilliant.

I love Ronnie, but he disappoints me so.
26th April 2006 11:45 AM
jb If you read above, I complimented RW, siad he is playing well this tour, and certainly is a better fit and a hell of a nice guys. But this revisionist history that Taylor was not a monumental influence on the band is utter bullshit. I guess we quickly forget about the playing on SF, Exile, GHS, IORR, etc....I also assume we forget the boots from 69-73, some of the greaqtest lead guitar work ever, imo. maybe it's taste..I like the harder edge Stones than the so-called "ancient form of weaving"(i.e. no lead guitar).
Now, the reason Taylor is playing in roadhouses is that he made a very tragic decision(helped in large part by Jagger/Richard's bullying and lack of giving him credit-see BJ as well) that caused his constructive termination. Admittedly, without J/R song writing, nothing he could do post his Stones tenure was going to be as good....unfortunately, things just got worse for him, and depression, drugs, and lack of royalties on some songs you think you contributed to, can really fuck a guy up. Nonetheless, what he has not become is irrelevant, what he was, for that short, but fruitful tenure, was simply the besrt lead guitarist in the greatest band that roomed the earth.
Now, as far as Ronnie, why don't some of his supporters respond to Charlie's quote that he"added nothing musically to the band"?
26th April 2006 11:48 AM
Saint Sway in 30 years, has Ron Wood even been able to contribute A SINGLE guitar lead that stands up to Taylors amazing work???

the answer is NO, not even one.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)