ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1981 David McCough
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dearly Beloved..... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
April 22nd, 2004 06:07 PM
Martha
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Check this shit out and tell me it ain't cool.

The free CD that Prince gave away to each person as they entered the arena...you know what it was??? It was his new album!

The crazy fucker was giving away his new album to everyone who bought a ticket to his show! Tell me that ain't cool! I don't know how smart it is...but it sure as hell is cool.

And you know what is even cooler SS? When we saw the opening tour show, which was satellite simulcast into theaters across the country, in Columbus they gave EVERYONE that same FREE CD for buying a theater seat. CHris and I each got one! YES!

And seeing the show there was extra cool too. Great sound and perfect visuals throughout. The audience ROCKED and whooped and hollared throughout! We need more of this kinda thing to happen! It was affordable for craps' sake!

1-800 WHO that Ronnie!
April 23rd, 2004 12:18 AM
Taptrick "shows how much his new album is worth"

No - it shows Prince has understood what The Stones already have grasped - the big money is in the tour and the big CD selling lip-sync bands aren't in the same universe when it comes to generating tour revenue. Although Prince is selling the album through traditional venues he is also offereing it via his web site and free at the shows. He is even ahead of the Stones when it comes to offering download via his website. Why would you care where Billboard ranks you if you are raking in hundreds of thousands every month for individual downloads?
April 23rd, 2004 01:06 AM
Cant Catch Me I think it's very cool he's giving away the CD at shows. But I'll bet each one counts as a unit sold and, if that's the case, actually increases his sales figures. Typically, not every person who saw a show this tour would buy the new CD at the store, don't you think? This way, everybody "buys" a copy.

Practically nothing's really "free" anyway, so the way to look at it is that the price of the CD is built into the price of a ticket. If a ticket's $75, then the show counts for $60 and the CD counts for $15 (just an estimate).

Noww here's cool, though: I read a review of a band, I wish I could remember their damn name, that played at the Birchmere in Alexandria, Va., recently. They played two sets, all old songs and covers, and as the audience left each person received a CD of that night's first set. Damn, I wish I remember who the band was.
April 23rd, 2004 11:57 AM
Joey

April 23rd, 2004 11:59 AM
steel driving hammer I saw Prince here in Champaign just last week, and even though he sucks, it wasn't that bad.

I think it was because of the good seats.
April 23rd, 2004 12:03 PM
Joey
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
I saw Prince here in Champaign just last week, and even though he sucks, it wasn't that bad.

I think it was because of the good seats.

THAT'S IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You see " Prince " but NOT " THE WHO " !!!!!!!!!!

You are no longer my Baby Steelie

Word !

J.
April 23rd, 2004 04:28 PM
gypsy Joey, don't lie to yourself...he'll always be your baby steelie...always.
April 23rd, 2004 04:32 PM
Joey
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Joey, don't lie to yourself...he'll always be your baby steelie...always.

Gypsy ..............................................

I showed up late one night with a neon light for a visa ,
But knowing I'm so eager to fight can't make letting me in any easier ;
I know that I've been wearing crazy clothes and I look pretty Crappy Sometimes .............................
But my body feels so good and your Joey still sings a razor line ................ everytime.

And when it comes .........to all night living ,
I know what I'm giving ;
I've got it all down to a tee....................
And it's free......................and it's Joooooeeey !

April 23rd, 2004 06:48 PM
Sir Stonesalot CCM...it's not just the band that's doing it...it's the venue.

There are some clubs in Chicago that have signed on to the same company. You sign up when you go into the show, and then pick up your copy of the show when you leave. Pretty cool idea. Not all artists will participate though, and I haven't heard of one big name that has participated yet.

Funny enough, money isn't the issue....it's quality control. Artists are afraid of a shitty show getting out in an "official" manner. I guess what they fail to realize is...the show is gonna get out "unofficial" anyway.
Page: 1 2 3