ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1981 David McCough
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dearly Beloved..... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
April 19th, 2004 12:09 AM
Sir Stonesalot ....we are gathered here today to celebrate this thing called...life.

MY PEOPLE MY PEOPLE MY PEOPLE, I GOT TO TESTIFY!!!!

I got the funk all ON me.

My pal Deebo calls me this morning and says he got me a ticket to see Prince tonight. Pick me up at six...don't be late.

Now $75.00 is a lot of money to see a concert. I wasn't gonna go. Deebo just decided that I was gonna go with him and bought the ticket. That's just Deebo, he knows me. I am here to tell you, with the ringing still in my ears, that it was worth EVERY FUCKIN' PENNY!!!

The first thing Prince says is..."Penn State University...school is in session." And for the next 2 hours and 25 minutes...it definately was.

I think I had like 3 heart attacks during the show. What a fuckin' BAND!!! Blew my head CLEAN OFF!

That fucker had heels so high, I don't know how he stayed upright, let alone dance like a fuckin' banshee!

Lemme tell you all somethin'...that skinny muthafucker with the HIGH voice.....he is....I don't know if a word exists to describe him. Other worldly. Stunning. Holy FUCK...the guy plays guitar like...JESUS. I mean, I knew the guy could play...but I honestly was not expecting what I got. He is, like, 100 times better than I thought he was. I'm not kidding, he may possibly be the best lead guitar player that I have ever seen play live. I am not saying that lightly....and I have seen some pretty great guitar players in my day.

He did this thing in the middle of the show where it was just him and an acoustic guitar. A purple acoustic, of course. Couldn't tell what it was...looked like it was a custom job...it sounded sweet. That was the deal that cinched it for me. He played an acoustic version of "Cream" that was just...magnificent. Then he did some funny little blues thing about telemarketers(Who do you want? Mr. Prince? No, I'm sorry, he went to needlepoint class.)...it was hilarious...till he started playing these incredible licks that just stopped you dead in your tracks.

He had 2 of the coolest mics that I've ever seen....one looked like it was gold plated...and it probably was...the other had a .357 welded on it. He was fuckin twirlin' it around like a quickdraw cowboy.

Besides the aforementioned purple acoustic, he played a blonde Tele with black pickguard...looked a lot like Keef's...and a sky blue Strat. His Strat had a humbucker at the bridge and a single coil at the neck. Both SCREAMED. He didn't play the purple "Artist Formerly Known As Sign" guitar till he did "Purple Rain" for the encore. That solo at the end was just...it was...it...aw fuck it. I can't descibe it. I can honestly say that I will remember that solo for a very very long time. I don't know if I'll ever see another solo that exceeds it. Mind alteringly good. I felt like I had just done a bong hit and I didn't smoke nuthin' all night!

Look people, the show I went to wasn't sold out. Deebo got us GREAT seats the day of the show. If Prince is anywhere even close to you, you gotta GO. Seriously. I figured the guy would be pretty good live...but I had no clue as to just HOW GOOD, or HOW GOOD his band is.

In the space of a month, I saw Neil Young & Crazy Horse, David Bowie, Bob Dylan, and now Prince. Believe it or not...I think Prince was the best of the bunch.

Oh, and they give you a free CD when you walk in the door.

Excuse me now, I have to go fuck the wife....very very slowly.

[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
April 19th, 2004 12:20 AM
beer
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

In the space of a month, I saw Neil Young & Crazy Horse, David Bowie, Bob Dylan, and now Prince. Believe it or not...I think Prince was the best of the bunch.

Oh, and they give you a free CD when you walk in the door.

Wow. that is an incredible month, to say the least. i really like the idea that they gave you a free cd upon entrance. the stones did that too, unfortunaely, it was just a At&T phone scam.
You really dug Prince more than Dylan, AND Young?? i know you know yer stuff SS, so i'll respect yer opinion, but that blows my mind!
April 19th, 2004 12:25 AM
parmeda Shit! I can't wait for the end of June, SS!!!!

I am not surprised that you thoroughly enjoyed his show. He is one tight package of TNT. It's been eons since I've seen him...always wondered why he stopped touring, but I am so pleased that he has decided to hit the stage again! (Most likely because of his induction?) Who knows! Who cares! Damn, I bet you'll be tappin' your toes all week, lol

What surprises me the most is that the show wasn't a sell-out. He's booked here for 3 shows...each one selling out faster than the last. ...go figure?

Well, I'm glad you were impressed...'cause I know it takes A LOT in order to do that for ya Oh!...and the shoes! He's got better fucking shoes than I could EVER have, lol.
[Edited by parmeda]
April 19th, 2004 12:29 AM
Sir Stonesalot beer...it blows MY mind too! The really crazy thing is that I only SORTA liked Prince before tonight.

And the CD they give ya...14 unreleased songs...only way ya get it is to buy a ticket. Well, I bet ya can find one on eBay maybe.

I brought some confetti home for my kid.

Parmybabe...you gotta understand where I live...we are talking Wonderbread eatin, Skoal chompin, piney woods, Redneckville USA. Skinny little white lookin black guys with high heels and higher voice...that shit just don't fly. The crowd was 70% female. Man, I coulda got laid there a whole buncha times tonight.

[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
April 19th, 2004 12:35 AM
T&A "In the space of a month, I saw Neil Young & Crazy Horse, David Bowie, Bob Dylan, and now Prince. Believe it or not...I think Prince was the best of the bunch."

And, this from the man who disses Clapton playing the blues....tsk, tsk, tsk...
April 19th, 2004 12:38 AM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah dude...and you'd be sayin the same fuckin thing if you'da seen what I just did.
April 19th, 2004 12:55 AM
T&A unlikely...but just different strokes. and, i'd have left the F word out of it. just yankin' yer chain!
April 19th, 2004 04:42 AM
luxury1 Damn, SS. Thanks for the review.
I have seen Prince about 8 times (first time at the Ritz Theatre in NYC in '81--when he wore leg warmers and a black thong underneath a trechcoat--and did Head, etc)and man, did he blow me away. He is a consummate musician/performer. I have been a fan since '78.("I Wanna Be Your Lover, I wanna be the only one you cook/cum for..." I love that interchangeable line) And talk about dance music......
Throbby and I have tix for MSG July 14--can anyone say RO Gathering??
[Edited by luxury1]
April 19th, 2004 06:22 AM
fmk438j

Ahh, the best parties, nights out, chicks whatever are always the ones that come out of no where, totally unplanned and unnexpected.

ALWAYS!
April 19th, 2004 07:32 AM
luxury1 SS--did he have the stage-in-the-round set-up? And if so, how did he work it??
April 19th, 2004 08:24 AM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah Luxy, it was like a big +. When he was playing guitar, he spent most of his time at the intersection. He worked each runway pretty often, making sure each side of the room got a good look at him.

During his acoustic set, he was in the middle, but he was sitting on a swivel stool. He would swivel himself in slow circles while he was playing.

Each side has a video screen, so when his back is to you, you can still see his face.

Something else he did that I thought was different was that he didn't play many complete songs. He was doing the medley thing, blending one song right into the next.

And his band is SO tight. Like JB & The Famous Flames type tight.

I figured that I'd mellow on the show overnight...and I haven't. I'm still stoked.
April 19th, 2004 12:32 PM
Nasty Habits Going to Knoxville on Thursday, SS -- you have me completely buzzing. Can't wait. Haven't seen his purpitude in over ten years and the last time was absolutely amazing. Terrific review -- I know exactly just how . . . speechless . . . you feel. I think. Only one question -- Do banshees dance?
April 19th, 2004 12:41 PM
Sir Stonesalot Oh...y'know...come to think of it, banshees wail don't they?

I don't think anyone in Suzie Souix's band ever danced either.

My bad.

4 more things about Prince.

1. He really is very very short...even with those impossibly high heels.

2. He did not wear a single purple outfit.

3. He is quite hairy.

4. He did not do any splits.

April 19th, 2004 12:58 PM
parmeda The shoes, SS...tell me about the shoes!!!

This guy has the coolest shit!
April 19th, 2004 01:11 PM
Sir Stonesalot OK OK the shoes.

Lemme think.

His first outfit was devil red. Shoes to match. Spike heels. Looked like suede or something like that.

His next outfit was a high collared white and red polka dot(very small dots)shirt worn open to the midrif, and solid white pants. White pointy shoes with high heels, but not spikes. The heels were encrusted with either rhinestones or...ahhhh, those couldn't have been real diamonds...could they?

His last outfit was a white chinese style jacket...you know the kind with the elongated buttons and high collar? Same pants and shoes from the previous outfit...I think.
April 19th, 2004 01:18 PM
Bloozehound fashion emergency!

was his hair real pretty too?

please tell

[Edited by Bloozehound]
April 19th, 2004 01:31 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Wow great review by Sir Stonesalot.
Excitable isn't he?
April 19th, 2004 01:32 PM
Some Guy He plays Atl 4-30. I may have to attend.
April 19th, 2004 01:35 PM
Sir Stonesalot Well...his hair was prettier than mine, considering that I shave my head.

I specifically paid attention to the fashion aspect because both Parmy and Luxy asked me to from an earlier thread.

Since I am such an incredibly nice guy, I figured I'd help them out.

Ohhhhh...I forgot the hootchie girls. Prince had a troope of local hootchie girls get up on stage for "Kiss" and "Take Me With You". Now, not that I have ever BEEN there, but several of them looked like dancers at a local strip club called the "End Zone". The stage was packed with T&A. Oddly there was a little girl, maybe 10, banging on a cowbell. Prince dances by her, stops whirls around, and says "A little slower baby." she slows down and he goes, "That's it, you got it, just like that."

Could that have been his kid?

Prince almost completely ignored the hootchies, didn't dance with any of them...but the guys and gals in his band didn't ignore them!
April 19th, 2004 03:17 PM
Ten Thousand Motels You know, I "knew" Prince was a great live act. Not having ever seen him, it was iffy. Some of his stuff I like...some I don't but I always had this feeling that live he might be "living legend" calibre. Now I'm still not positive but I take SS word (and others)for the quality of the act.
April 19th, 2004 03:18 PM
Joey
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Well...his hair was prettier than mine, considering that I shave my head.

I specifically paid attention to the fashion aspect because both Parmy and Luxy asked me to from an earlier thread.

Since I am such an incredibly nice guy, I figured I'd help them out.

Ohhhhh...I forgot the hootchie girls. Prince had a troope of local hootchie girls get up on stage for "Kiss" and "Take Me With You". Now, not that I have ever BEEN there, but several of them looked like dancers at a local strip club called the "End Zone". The stage was packed with T&A. Oddly there was a little girl, maybe 10, banging on a cowbell. Prince dances by her, stops whirls around, and says "A little slower baby." she slows down and he goes, "That's it, you got it, just like that."

Could that have been his kid?

Prince almost completely ignored the hootchies, didn't dance with any of them...but the guys and gals in his band didn't ignore them!

THAT WAS THEN .......................................

( A Review by The Joey : Dateline 04/19/04 )

This regaling and bated reminiscing of " The Prince Concert " by Sir Stonesalot displays all the symptoms of a " Rolling Stones Post - Tour Depression " : It is tainted with the decaying , bittersweet stench of ENFORCED SHOWBIZ SUCCESS . Indeed , for most of the time , Stoney takes on all the illusory mannerisms of " The Artist " himself whilst in torment -- aware that he has something to prove , but afraid that he may be out of Sync with himself . Therefore , against ANY underlying themes of a Downer Trip , Marc attempts to come to terms with " Prince " . However , it is not in S.S.'s nature to go on the defensive when he sees a performer live in concert , so this thread is a sign of maturing -- A Girding of the Loins . Sir Stonesalot has ALWAYS been rife with complex feelings and fraught with unadulterated adherence to verisimilitude . The Paradox here is that it is THE very element of a no " Stones-on-Tour " anguish that persistently motivates him as such a highly intense and vital creative force . This post , with its affirmation of Marc's magnificent , idiosyncratic talents , is Brilliant .

I Thank You All Very Much For Your Time this Afternoon !

The Joey , Established in 1999 and providing Quality Postings like this one on a daily basis .

" I Thank You !!!!! " ....................................

" I THANK YOU !!!!! " ...................................

April 19th, 2004 03:20 PM
jb My partner is going to see prince this weekend here in South Florida...I am embarrassed for him.
April 19th, 2004 03:21 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jb wrote:
My partner is going to see prince this weekend here in South Florida...I am embarrassed for him.

Why?
April 19th, 2004 03:24 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
My partner is going to see prince this weekend here in South Florida...I am embarrassed for him.

I would like to nibble your elbows .

" S- S- Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJAZZY JOE Jr.
April 19th, 2004 03:27 PM
jb Prince is a no talent, smaller version of Jacko...real Stones fans, like me, booed him off the stage in 81 when he opened for the band....no self-respecting fan of music would support this freak.
[Edited by jb]
April 19th, 2004 03:30 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
Joey wrote:

THAT WAS THEN .......................................

( A Review by The Joey : Dateline 04/19/04 )

This regaling and bated reminiscing of " The Prince Concert " by Sir Stonesalot displays all the symptoms of a " Rolling Stones Post - Tour Depression " : It is tainted with the decaying , bittersweet stench of ENFORCED SHOWBIZ SUCCESS . Indeed , for most of the time , Stoney takes on all the illusory mannerisms of " The Artist " himself whilst in torment -- aware that he has something to prove , but afraid that he may be out of Sync with himself . Therefore , against ANY underlying themes of a Downer Trip , Marc attempts to come to terms with " Prince " . However , it is not in S.S.'s nature to go on the defensive when he sees a performer live in concert , so this thread is a sign of maturing -- A Girding of the Loins . Sir Stonesalot has ALWAYS been rife with complex feelings and fraught with unadulterated adherence to verisimilitude . The Paradox here is that it is THE very element of a no " Stones-on-Tour " anguish that persistently motivates him as such a highly intense and vital creative force . This post , with its affirmation of Marc's magnificent , idiosyncratic talents , is Brilliant .

I Thank You All Very Much For Your Time this Afternoon !

The Joey , Established in 1999 and providing Quality Postings like this one on a daily basis .

" I Thank You !!!!! " ....................................

" I THANK YOU !!!!! " ...................................

Hip-Hip,

April 19th, 2004 03:33 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Joey wrote:

April 19th, 2004 03:40 PM
Snappy McJack

Good Stuff..

"He jump-jacked that baby, outta heeeeeeee!!"
April 19th, 2004 03:41 PM
Joey " Prince is a no talent, smaller version of Jacko...real Stones fans, like me, booed him off the stage in 81 when he opened for the band....no self-respecting fan of music would support this freak. "

Truer Words have NEVER been spoken .....................................Why , I wouldn't see Prince in concert if someone GAVE me Front Row Tix with BackStage Passes !!!!!!

Oh , and I am DONE With Michael

Jacko
April 19th, 2004 03:49 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Joey wrote:
" Prince is a no talent, smaller version of Jacko...real Stones fans, like me, booed him off the stage in 81 when he opened for the band....no self-respecting fan of music would support this freak. "

Truer Words have NEVER been spoken .....................................Why , I wouldn't see Prince in concert if someone GAVE me Front Row Tix with BackStage Passes !!!!!!

I'm really sorry you feel this way. If what Sir Stonesalot says is even remotely true than Prince may well qualify as being one of the top 10 live acts ever. I suspect thats the case. Now I don't now for sure. What I do know for sure is that the Ike & Tina Revue was a live act that will be in the top 5 live acts of all time.
Page: 1 2 3