ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dylan / Haggard Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
April 3rd, 2005 04:39 PM
parmeda Martha & Gazza are two of the sneekiest snots to grace this earth...yes, you shocked the living hell outta me! But, as I told you last night, it was such a lovely surprise...and I thank you

I've got a ton of "stuff" to share with everyone about yesterday, but you'll have to wait until later...I have photos to download and I need to gather my thoughts (this is where I blame all of the wine from last night, lol) In any case, look for it later tonight.

I can't say enough of Martha...I am speechless and I don't know where to begin! I just spent the last 30 minutes on the phone with her and both of us regret the fact that there is NEVER enough time to spend together. I'm twisting her arm REALLY hard to head back this way for the Blues Festival in June...we'll see

Until later...
April 4th, 2005 10:33 AM
Nasty Habits # Drifter's Escape
# Señor (Tales Of Yankee Power)
# God Knows
# The Times They Are A-Changin'
# Cry A While
# Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
# Highway 61 Revisited
# Shooting Star (acoustic)
# You Ain't Goin' Nowhere
# Tryin' To Get To Heaven
# Honest With Me
# A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall

(encore)
# I Shall Be Released
# All Along The Watchtower

Looks mighty fine on a screen, anyways!

Hope all is well and you're having a great time, Martha & Parm!

It's always a pleasure when Martha comes to town, huh, Parmeda?
April 4th, 2005 12:22 PM
Martha Nasty darlin', you are too kind! I've been thinking of you all weekend...could you feel that!?! LOL I'll give you a call when I get back home and we'll pour over the details of Bob's sets..etc. :-)

Last night's show was a spiritual journey as only Bob could take us on. I liken the mood to being in church. I KNEW he'd play "God Knows", just knew it. A most gorgeous sound coming from all members of this groovin band now. They are in full swing at this stage of the tour. It's like they've been together for years. Donny is brillant on pedal steel banjo and fiddle and that little guitar he plays...what is that thing called btw? Merle's guy had one too. Elana is very astute doesn't miss a lick and watches Bob's hands (chords) like a hawk. She's a fine addition, adding a lot more than beauty to the stage. :-)

The set just kept getting better and better and by the time he started "Hard Rain" I went right over the edge. It was a very special night indeed. And I met a cool guy who sat next to me who thinks he can find Bob's Kennedy Center Honor's that took place in 1997 on video tape at his parent's home...if so that baby will be circulating from me! Stay tuned. :-)

We meet the nicest people at Bob and Stones and PEtty and Mellencamp and Neil and the Boss.....etc., shows. Music is my healing balm. Indeed.

Thank you Bob for 3 extraordinary nights that I'll never ever forget.

peace out,
Martha
April 5th, 2005 11:23 PM
mac_daddy thanks for another great review, martha...

and now you get to go see a detroit gig, too!!!

i was talking to some folks about it, and i have to say, seeing a band play alot on a single tour WHEN THEY ALTER THE SETLISTS NIGHTLY, is the absolute best. of course this true when seeing all shows of an extended run, but it is also true catching them at a couple of different gigs throughout the tour. this dylan tour is absolutely something special...

i sincerely hope that the stones are going to play longer stands at places like msg and the gibson guitar (formerly universal) ampitheater, noteably altering the setlists each night - that, too, would be something truly spectacular to witness; it would also certainly be a way for them to ride off into the sunset with the utmost of integrity, completely on top of their game. i sincerely hope...

oh yeah - this one looks promising:
quote:
NEW on EZT: Bob Dylan : 03-07-05 Seattle Schubert RemasterMon, 04 Apr @ 04:34

A new torrent has been uploaded to EZT.

Torrent: 35715

Title: Bob Dylan : 03-07-05 Seattle Schubert Remaster

Size: 635.83 MB

Category: Singer/Songwriter

Uploaded by: jefferson

Description

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob Dylan

Paramount Theater

Seattle, WA

March 7, 2005

Schubert Remaster

NOTES : This is a Schubert remaster of the "schubidoo" recording
April 7th, 2005 11:54 AM
parmeda ...something for Martha to reminisce, lol
I'm most certain that there will be more reports in tomorrow's papers. I believe they have waited for their run to come to and end here, before giving any reviews.

DYLAN AND HAGGARD HAVE SURREAL OLD TIME

By Greg Kot
Chicago Tribune music critic
Published April 4, 2005

Bob Dylan and Merle Haggard aren't exactly a couple of old softies in popular lore. But there they were Friday as they opened a five-night residency at the Auditorium Theatre, getting in touch with their inner Nat King Cole and letting the sentimentality flow.

Haggard crooned Irving Gordon's standard "Unforgettable," and Dylan dipped back to his 1970 "New Morning" album and the breezy jazz chords of "If Dogs Run Free."

"True love can make a blade of grass stand straight and tall," Dylan sang against a twinkling-star background framed by a red curtain. It could've been a scene out of a David Lynch film, a surreal lounge band dressed in black fronted by a raspy voiced song-and-dance man.

It wasn't the only head-scratching moment in a 90-minute set. Dylan inexplicably continued the pattern established in recent tours by never once lifting a guitar and remaining anchored behind an electric keyboard, an instrument he can barely play.

But his singing -- of all things -- took on new shades that seemed beyond him as the set opened. Dylan barely cracked a smile as his retooled six-piece band deftly smoothed out a few rough spots early in the set.

Fiddle and pedal steel guitar brought more of a country flavor, and the guitarists conjured the ominous roadhouse-blues undercurrents of "Cold Irons Bound" and "High Water."

Then the singer finally dug the gravel out of his throat and a newfound warmth emerged. That was never more apparent than on a lovely "Forever Young" and a transcendent version of "Mr. Tambourine Man," in which Dylan refashioned the jingle-jangle folk-rock standard as a slow, tender meditation, with brushed drums and upright bass accompanying him.

It was the latest wrinkle in the career of a 63-year-old artist who never quite gives the fans what they expect.

Haggard painted a portrait of his artistry that was equally complex, as he ranged across five decades of music. He performed songs that embraced conservative American values, pined for the comfort of simpler times and "wished I was 30 again," while doffing his hat to reveal a balding scalp.

But he undercut the anti-counterculture sentiments in his '60s hit "Okie From Muskogee" by riffing on a pro-pot-smoking ditty, and delivered his recent anti-war song "That's the News" with conviction.

The 67-year-old singer joked about the encroaching years and his white-haired accomplices ("We've got the oldest beer-joint band still alive"), even as his still-plush baritone voice belied its age. He cruised effortlessly across his favorite terrain -- blues-tinged honky-tonk, country swing and gin mill ballads -- punctuated by his deft electric guitar solos and fills.

The only thing missing was a duet with Dylan, particularly since Dylan had been performing Haggard's "Sing Me Back Home" on earlier tour stops. But far be it for these mavericks to ever do anything so obvious.

----------
[email protected]
April 10th, 2005 12:56 AM
mac_daddy thanks for the post, parmeda.
April 16th, 2005 11:54 PM
BrianJonesForever I remember reading in Marianne's autobio of how they were all at a hotel after Dylan's show in London in 64 and Macca came in and put an acetate of one the Beatles new yet to be released songs on and Dylan simply got up and walked out.

Is that a burn or what?
April 17th, 2005 10:00 AM
Martha
quote:
BrianJonesForever wrote:
I remember reading in Marianne's autobio of how they were all at a hotel after Dylan's show in London in 64 and Macca came in and put an acetate of one the Beatles new yet to be released songs on and Dylan simply got up and walked out.

Is that a burn or what?

LOL What song was it?
April 17th, 2005 08:05 PM
BrianJonesForever She didn't say what song, but it was in 64, so probably something off of Rubber soul maybe? She said the only Beatle Dylan actually talked to was Lennon.
April 17th, 2005 09:09 PM
Gazza It would have been during Dylan's 1965 tour when he was in London that spring. He was holding court at the Savoy Hotel in London (see "Dont Look Back") and playing host to pretty much all of the main British pop and folk artists of the era.

She mentioned that McCartney had brought in an acetate of a song he'd been working on that had a distorted, electronic sound to it which was quite advanced for it's time.

I guess the song never saw the light of day. The Beatles would have been between sessions for the "Help" soundtrack at the time (they were actually filming "Help!" at the time Dylan was in London) and theres nothing on that album or the other one released later that year ("Rubber Soul") that fit that description. The more experimental "Revolver" sessions were a full year in the future and the electronic sounding stuff on that album ("She said she said" and "Tomorrow never knows") were Lennon's.
April 18th, 2005 05:53 AM
wisertime It seems the current tour is beginning to be very interesting, check out the Boston set-lists :

#1 Boston, Massachusetts
Orpheum Theatre
April 15, 2005

To Be Alone With You
Hazel
It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
If Dogs Run Free
Tough Mama
Shelter From The Storm
Cold Irons Bound
Tomorrow Is A Long Time
Highway 61 Revisited
Chimes Of Freedom
Summer Days
Mr. Tambourine Man

(encore)
Mississippi
All Along The Watchtower

#2 Boston, Massachusetts
Orpheum Theatre
April 16, 2005

Maggie's Farm
Forever Young
Cry A While
Bye And Bye
Ballad Of Hollis Brown (acoustic)
If You See Her, Say Hello
Lenny Bruce
Honest With Me
The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll
High Water (For Charley Patton)
Every Grain Of Sand
Highway 61 Revisited

(encore)
Blind Willie McTell
Like A Rolling Stone

#3 Boston, Massachusetts
Orpheum Theatre
April 17, 2005

1. Drifter's Escape
2. Love Minus Zero/No Limit
3. God Knows
4. Ring Them Bells
5. Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat
6. Tryin' To Get To Heaven
7. Down Along The Cove
8. I Believe In You
9. Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum
10 . I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine
11. Ballad Of A Thin Man
12. A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall

(encore)
13. It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry
14. All Along The Watchtower

April 18th, 2005 06:47 AM
Gazza looks like Bob's been listening to the much-overlooked "Planet Waves" for a change. Usually all he ever plays off that album is "Forever young" - so getting BOTH "Tough Mama" and "Hazel" in one show must be a first of sorts.

Who knows, at this rate, maybe someday he'll finally play the brilliant "Dirge" from that album for the first time ever...

That first Boston setlist is incredible. Aside from the Planet Waves songs, "Chimes of freedom" and "Mississippi" rarely get played, and "If Dogs run free" and "Tomorrow is a long time" are pretty rare too.
[Edited by Gazza]
April 18th, 2005 06:58 AM
wisertime 90 different songs have already been played during this tour, 30 shows of 14 songs each night.
I think there will be other surprises next week for the Beacon Theater concerts in NY ..
For info, Elana Fremerman - violin, wasn't there during the Boston shows.
April 18th, 2005 07:54 AM
Gazza 90!!

Holy shit, thats an amazing total for 30 shows, considering the shows are by Bob's standards, pretty short!

When you get it into perspective, the last Stones tour had greater variety than before, mostly due to the stadium/arena/theatre arrangement in a dozen cities or so. They usually averaged about 19-20 songs a night and played 117 shows, yet the total number of different songs was 68.
[Edited by Gazza]
April 18th, 2005 09:35 AM
Lazy Bones This Boston trio has proven to be the market to see...
[Edited by Lazy Bones]
April 18th, 2005 11:56 AM
Martha
quote:
wisertime wrote:
90 different songs have already been played during this tour, 30 shows of 14 songs each night.
I think there will be other surprises next week for the Beacon Theater concerts in NY ..
For info, Elana Fremerman - violin, wasn't there during the Boston shows.

I thought Elana looked like she didn't feel well at the Detroit show.....what's the deal?
April 18th, 2005 12:04 PM
wisertime "I thought Elana looked like she didn't feel well at the Detroit show.....what's the deal?"
----------------------------------------------

I don't know, maybe she's gone. We'll see if she's back next show, tomorrow..
April 18th, 2005 01:40 PM
Martha
quote:
wisertime wrote:
"I thought Elana looked like she didn't feel well at the Detroit show.....what's the deal?"
----------------------------------------------

I don't know, maybe she's gone. We'll see if she's back next show, tomorrow..

Do I know you?
April 18th, 2005 07:19 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
This Boston trio has proven to be the market to see...
[Edited by Lazy Bones]

???

are you saying those three shows have been the best of the tour..?
April 18th, 2005 07:31 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

???

are you saying those three shows have been the best of the tour..?

Setlist-wise, imo. I wasn't at the any of them...

Hazel, Tough Mama, Shelter, Chimes of Freedom, Mr. T Man, Lenny Bruce, Hattie Carroll, Blind Willie, Love Minus Zero, I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine (!), It Take A Lot to Laugh...

I was at the Buffalo show, though, and can vouch for it's "trip". BTW, I was awaiting your equipment and your package never arrived. NOW, we'll have to wait for circulating copies. Thanks a lot!!!
April 18th, 2005 07:49 PM
mac_daddy lb - i have been so swamped with stuff it is scary...

i am terribly sorry if i let you down -that surely was not my intention...
April 18th, 2005 07:59 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
lb - i have been so swamped with stuff it is scary...

i am terribly sorry if i let you down -that surely was not my intention...

lol...
April 18th, 2005 08:22 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

lol...

so you're f*cking with me..? i just hope you arent really upset...

April 18th, 2005 09:30 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
so you're f*cking with me..? i just hope you arent really upset...

Upset? Hell no! Having a hard time figuring out what to listen to...

Folk Rogue it is.

When I said package, I meant your recording equipment - you joked sending it for Buffalo. You shouldn't have a package for me - to my knowledge.

[Edited by Lazy Bones]
April 18th, 2005 09:31 PM
mac_daddy been listening to the box set of sacds recently...

hadnt given infidels or street legal a listen in a very long time...

the sacds sound great.
April 19th, 2005 11:00 AM
Martha
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
been listening to the box set of sacds recently...

hadnt given infidels or street legal a listen in a very long time...

the sacds sound great.

I have many of Bob's stuff on SACD and they are spectacular sounding. Do you have a SACD player as well?
April 20th, 2005 10:02 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Martha wrote:

I have many of Bob's stuff on SACD and they are spectacular sounding. Do you have a SACD player as well?

yep - i love it!
April 21st, 2005 10:56 AM
Martha
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

yep - i love it!

Lucky you! We are plotting when we can buy an Onkyo brand SACD player. What brand player did you get, if you don't mind me asking?
April 21st, 2005 07:32 PM
Lazy Bones 21/04/2005
Bob Dylan's brilliant Boston Trilogy

Eagle-eyed Dylan watcher Phil Davis, from Southampton, England writes:

"Bob and his band rolled into the Boston Orpheum for three nights on April 15, 16 and 17 and, by all accounts, these shows were on a par with the brilliant London shows from 2003.

"Forty two songs were played, and there were forty different ones. When I saw the set lists I was amazed to see Chimes of Freedom, Lenny Bruce, I Dreamed I Saw St Augustine and Shelter From The Storm, some of which haven't been played live for a dozen years or more.

"The final night saw five songs new to the current tour of thirty one dates, which is now three quarters finished. New York City beckons Bob for the final five dates, and I'm sure there will be more surprises.

"I have heard two or three tremendous MP3s from the Boston run: if you're a Bobcat, look out for these three wonderful shows.

"Meet me down by the pylon."

Phil

http://www.spacemonkeylab.com/mfgu/blog/archives/00000458.html
April 21st, 2005 07:43 PM
mac_daddy i bought the sony scd-2000es

after a long and hard look, really looking at the technical side of things, i decided a few things...

sony dac's sound the best. sony makes the dsd technology, and sells it out to other manufacturers, but the ONLY sony makes the 1 bit DAC, and that makes all the difference...

i hear from folks who bench test these things that the sacd sound of the unit i have (which is a bargain price unit) sounds better than the sacd playback of units 10x its price...

now cd playback is another issue. so is dvd-a. my unit does not do dvd-a, and its redbook dac is not that great. however, i run the unit as a cd transport, plugged into an external dac, so the low fidelity cd playback is not an issue for me. when i bought it, i bought it specifically to be able to playback the stones catalog in what will likely be the finest-sounding releases we, as consumers, will ever see. eventually, i would like to be able to handle dvd-a, but i can do 24/96 audio playback via my computer media player (which is also plugged into my amp), so dvd-a is not a prioroty for me...

also, i listen to stereo and mono exclusively - 2 channel setup only. no multichannel here, so i am the wrong guy to ask aout that...

so, if you only want sacd playback, the unit i bought is the best deal/ if you want dvd-a, too - look someplace else. ditto if you want the unit to output cd audio to your amp/receiver. you will also need to consider if you want to listen to multichannel audio...

how much is the onkyo unit you are looking at..? i will ask around about the model, and let you know what i find out about quality and price...

how are you listening to the sacds now?

ciao.

[Edited by mac_daddy]
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour