ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dylan / Haggard Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
March 21st, 2005 08:20 AM
T&A Merle's set was anywhere between 45 minutes to an hour in Oakland...seems to vary by mood. Setlist is quite variant as well. One night he did 30 seconds of the Nat Cole song, Unforgettable (title track of his new standards disc) - then quite and said "if you wanna hear the rest, but the CD in the lobby."
March 21st, 2005 12:23 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
T&A wrote:
"if you wanna hear the rest, but the CD in the lobby."

Bad taste!
March 21st, 2005 07:17 PM
sparkswillfly I'm an infrequent contributer here, but figured I'd add to this thread after seeing Bob in my home town of Reno, NV the other night. This Dylan show was very different than the 5 previous times I've seen him. I don't follow Dylan around the country, as Rooster and I do for the Stones, but he makes more appearances in little old Reno than any other star of significant stature, and I can't pass up a Bob show when he rolls through town. The reviews on Bill Pagel's page from more hardcore Dylan followers than I seem to agree that the Reno show was among the best yet on this tour. Incidentally, the official setlist on Bill Pagel's page is way off, but the one given by the first reviewer with detailed commentary on each song is accurate (and his commentary is quite good, too, based on what I saw and heard). I heard fewer familiar songs than at other Dylan shows, apparently because he focused heavily on 2 recent studio albums (released in 2001 and 1999 according to the review in our local paper). However, the lack of familiar numbers for this casual follower of Dylan did not detract from the enjoyment of the show. This was my first Dylan show in which Bob never handled a guitar. He delivers his entire performance hunched over a keyboard. That would have appeared odd, but I knew it was coming after reading the reviews of his Oakland shows. His band was excellent, as was the sound in the Reno Hilton's miserable excuse for a concert venue. We were in the 9th row, dead center, so could see all the interactions on the stage very well. My wife noted several times how carefully each band member's eyes followed Bob, and commented that they didn't seem to know what he was going to do next. That could be right given that it's still early in this tour and that they have mixed up the setlist considerably from one show to the next. They opened with Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues" and I understand this was the first time Bob's done that in a long time; perhaps the "I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die" line in the song motivated this treat. When they did "Highway 61 Revisited" in the middle of the set, that alone was worth the price of admission. Everything else was icing, and there was plenty of that, like "All Along the Watchtower" as the closer. I guess my biggest complaint would be that the set was too short. They didn't have Merle Haggard to open, so I was hoping the Dylan set would be extended, but no such luck. But with an icon like Bob puting on such a great show a scant 10 minutes from my doorstep, that's a minor quibble. See a show on this tour -- you'll be glad you did!
March 21st, 2005 08:41 PM
Gazza Bob did Folsom Prison Blues a few times in '93. I dont recall it being done since.

Thanks for the great review and thanks for making your first post!
March 22nd, 2005 01:44 AM
parmeda KNOCKIN' ON HAGGARD'S DOOR
Chicago SunTimes
March 20, 2005

BY DAVE HOEKSTRA - Staff Reporter

Life has been a ragged but righteous journey for Bob Dylan and Merle Haggard. Their occasionally parallel journeys stretch back to 1969. That was the year country music really started crossing over into rock, and rock into country: Dylan released the landmark "Nashville Skyline" album, which featured Johnny Cash and delivered the hit "Lay Lady Lay." The Rolling Stones even cut a country-tinged LP, "Let It Bleed."

Haggard, meanwhile, had the biggest commercial hit of his career that year with his anti-hippie anthem "Okie From Muskogee" before moving to an edgier rock sound with "Pride in What I Am," released in early 1970.

"Everybody started swinging to the right. So I swung to the left. Or vice-versa," Haggard said recently from his home outside Lake Shasta, Calif., before embarking on a tour with Dylan, which stops April 1-3, 5 and 6 at the Auditorium Theatre. "I was looking for an opening, looking for a void. I try to be honest with my writing. I'm a guitar player. I try not to be redundant."

And also in 1969, Dylan's and Haggard's itinerant worlds first crossed when they both appeared on the Johnny Cash television show, taped at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville (the Mother Church of country music). Dylan and Cash sang "Girl From the North Country" with Cash; Haggard and Cash sang "Sing Me Back Home." (Cash's manager Lou Robin confirmed last week that Sony/Legacy is planning to roll out highlight portions of the show later this year on CD.)

"Bob and I have rubbed shoulders a lot of times since 1969," Haggard said. "But I really don't know Bob. I am in awe of him. He's the Marlon Brando of music. Nobody knows much about him. He's busy all the time. He writes all the time.

"The last time I saw him was at Willie [Nelson's 2004] 'Outlaws and Angels' television show. He was over in the wings with a guitar around his neck. I walked over and said, 'hi,' and he made a grunt. I heard him mumbling. He was writing. So, hell, I got away. You don't want to bother that guy when he's got a frown on his face and singing about something. I had this soft little spring tour planned, and then Bob Dylan's people called with a solid two-month tour. When Dylan calls, that's a big deal."

In 1969, though, the odds of Dylan and Haggard touring together would have been as likely as a Martin and Lewis reunion. In America, the lines were clearly drawn, and Dylan and Haggard's songs were embraced, interpreted and inflated by Republicans, Democrats and in-betweeners. In truth and in time, Haggard wasn't as right and Dylan wasn't as left. Their unifying thread then, as now, was an affinity for the common man stirred from the soul of Woody Guthrie.

Their songwriting approach is similar, too. Each writer deconstructs music to its core elements before carefully adding elements of blues, folk, jazz and honky-tonk. Dylan suggests he writes from a defined premise that is full of truth. Haggard also writes from a similar premise, as he did in "Where's All the Freedom?" or his timeless "Kern River." There's not much difference between "Kern River" and Dylan's "My Back Pages."

"There was a time when our country was not like it is now," Haggard said. "There was not a network of freeways, only two-lane highways connected people. There were only small local radio stations. This country was hooked together by railroad. The roads only ran out to the edge of town. Those were the boondocks. There were beer joints [one of Haggard's favorite themes] everywhere. Music was everywhere. Everybody was on Benzadrine. Even the fat women in church took bennies. Nobody thought nothin' about it. Everybody was having a great time. There was work everywhere, and people didn't mind working."

Now Haggard and Dylan don't mind working together. Haggard has asked Dylan to sing on his upcoming album, tentatively titled "Chicago Wind" and due for a late summer release on Capitol Records. Much of the record already has been cut in Los Angeles with a stripped-down band featuring veterans Reggie Young (guitar), Lee Sklar (bass), Billy Walker (rhythm guitar) and John Robinson (drums). The legendary Jimmy Bowen, who co-produced Haggard's 1979 hits "Footlights" and "My Own Kind of Hat," came out of retirement to produce the record.

This week, Haggard and Dylan are performing Monday through Saturday at the Pantages Theatre in Los Angeles. During down time in Los Angeles, Dylan may contribute vocals to Haggard's new ballad, "Where's All the Freedom?"

"It's a question of mine," Haggard said. "If we're going to die in wars somewhere every day and fight for freedom, it [freedom] shouldn't be some watered-down version like we're living in now. We've added so many different levels of security here at home, they're fighting with each other. We should adapt some of the arrogance of our president and stand straight up again. That's what the song is about."

Then Haggard sang, "...After a soldier fights / should we read him his new rights? / There's not that many to read anymore / Where's all the freedom we're fighting for?" He continued, "The reason we have these soldiers dying all over the world is so we can be free here. And we're not free! There's so many different levels of police that have been added since Sept. 11 that we can't afford. Why do we want to break the airlines? Why are we so in tune with everything happening in North Korea, but nobody knows what's happening in Phoenix? There's roads and bridges to be fixed in this country. This is a country that's worn down. This is democracy supposedly in its best form, and we're not getting that kind of reality here."

As for Haggard and Dylan singing together in concert (as Dylan and Willie Nelson did during last summer's minor league baseball park tour), Haggard said, "He invited me on this tour, so I will let him take the lead on things like that."

They haven't sung together yet, but Dylan has been encoring with a starchy version of Haggard's "Sing Me Back Home."

Haggard's return to Capitol, the scene of his 1960s glory days with hands-off producer Ken Nelson (Wanda Jackson, The Louvin Brothers), includes his current album, "Unforgettable." It's a collection of classics, such as "Pennies From Heaven" and Hoagy Carmichael's "Stardust." The 12-track project finds Haggard singing in a deeper timbre and keen phrasing.

"Freddy Powers [Hag's sometimes jazz guitarist, sidekick and songwriter who co-wrote 'Let's Chase Each Other Around the Room Tonight'], and I have what we call The Front Room Band," he explained. "Freddy's been after me to do that kind of an album. We play those songs. I've been doing seven, eight of those songs for years. I had to learn 'Unforgettable' and 'As Time Goes By.' But the production was Freddy's. We did this before Rod Stewart," he said, referring to the British rocker's recent embrace of the standards. "Ours was ready to come out, but we got our master tapes stolen. People offered them on eBay for $350,000. When we were in court getting this thing back, the whole Rod Stewart thing happened. 'Unforgettable' is at least three years old. What you're getting there is Merle Haggard before three years of dental work. That's why my voice sounds the way it does."

But Haggard isn't slowing down as long as people like Dylan keep calling. The final date of the Haggard-Dylan series at the Auditorium falls on the Hag's 68th birthday. Haggard says he began to figure out life when he turned 50.

"I got a line in a song that says, 'They say life starts at 50/We've been lied to my friend/Life does not start at 50/Life starts its decline at 50,'" he growled. "Hell, I was able to run a 50-yard dash until I was 50, 55 years old. Somewhere in that decade, you start to head towards mother earth and gravity will start to take over. No one has been able to dodge it, except for Jesus Christ, and he didn't live long enough to let gravity get him."

For a review of the Merle Haggard-Bob Dylan show performed last weekend in Portland, Ore., go to www.suntimes.com

Country stalwart Merle Haggard first crossed paths with Bob Dylan in the late '60s on Johnny Cash's TV show.

********** THE TIES THAT BIND **********

MERLE HAGGARD

BORN: April 6, 1937, in Bakersfield, Calif.

OKIE ROOTS: In 1934, Haggard's parents lost their eastern Oklahoma farm in a fire, and in 1935, they followed other Oklahoma natives to new beginnings in Southern California.

TRAIN A COMIN': One of Haggard's best albums is "My Love Affair With Trains."

ON THE LEFT: Haggard and Willie Nelson had a 1983 hit with the Townes Van Zandt classic "Pancho and Lefty."

A REALLY BIG STEW: Haggard walked off "The Ed Sullivan Show" when he was asked to play the part of Curly in a dance routine of Rodgers and Hammerstein's "Oklahoma." "Jeannie C. Riley said I was going to ruin my career, and I said, 'Maybe so, but I'd rather do that than embarrass myself in front of all the truck drivers and people I've built up for years.'" Johnny Mathis was the last-minute replacement for Haggard.

A WORD FROM OUR SPONSORS: Merle Haggard did a commercial for George Dickel whiskey.

THE SINGING BRAKEMAN: In 1968, Haggard and the Strangers recorded "Same Train, Different Time," a Jimmie Rodgers >> tribute album. This time, Haggard was around for the sessions.

IT'S A WILLY: The Wilburn Brothers sponsored Haggard's entry into the Grand Ole Opry.

COMMAND PERFORMANCE: Haggard, who served time in San Quentin for robbery, was granted a full pardon by Gov. Ronald Reagan in 1972.

BOB DYLAN

BORN: May 24, 1941, in Duluth, Minn.

OKIE ROOTS: In 1961, Dylan left Minnesota on his storied journey to visit Oklahoma native Woody Guthrie in New York City.

TRAIN A COMIN': One of Dylan's best albums is "Blood on the Tracks."

ON THE LEFT: At last spring's Bonnaroo Festival, Dylan sang the Townes Van Zandt classic "Pancho and Lefty."

A REALLY BIG STEW: Dylan walked off "The Ed Sullivan Show" when he wanted to perform "Talkin' John Birch Society Blues." Sullivan and the CBS censors wanted someone tame like the Clancy Brothers.

A WORD FROM OUR SPONSORS: Dylan did a TV commercial for Victoria's Secret.

THE SINGING BRAKEMAN: In 1997, Dylan released "The Songs of Jimmie Rodgers: A Tribute." The project included "Hobo Bill's Last Ride," recorded with the Strangers, Haggard's band, at his studio in Redding, Calif. But Haggard wasn't around. He said he was going out for a sandwich and then returned two days later.

IT'S A WILLY: Dylan was a member of the Traveling Wilburys.

COMMAND PERFORMANCE: Played for Pope John Paul II.
March 22nd, 2005 08:51 AM
mac_daddy 3/21

drifter's escape
times are a changin
tweedle dee
just like a woman
highwater
down along the cove
moonlight
hwy 61
lovesick
honest w/ me
north country fair
summer nights

sing me back home
watchtower
March 22nd, 2005 11:47 AM
Martha mac_daddy...wish I could do the Bewitched nose twitch dealio so I could show up in LA right NOW. How was the first night? :-)
March 24th, 2005 08:47 AM
mac_daddy from yesterday's paper...

Dylan, Haggard defy the years
*The old pros shine on a tour that finds them shuffling and recasting their material. The approach keeps them fresh and delights fans.

By Robert Hilburn, Times Staff Writer

Bob Dylan and Merle Haggard are such masters of their craft that they make it hard for critics not to look like pushovers, especially at a concert as warm and frequently thrilling as the freewheeling one they put on Monday at the Pantages Thea-tre.

Rather than take their audiences down a predictable memory lane of greatest hits each night, Dylan and Haggard, who are touring together for the first time, shuffle their set lists to fit their moods and muses — making each night an adventure.

On the tour, which started March 7 in Seattle, Dylan has alternated relative rarities, such as "Drifter's Escape," and signature tunes, including "Just Like a Woman," to round out a set anchored by the scintillating songs from "Love and Theft," the 2001 album that offers one of his most joyful musical excursions. Haggard, too, has reached into the outer limits of his vast repertoire for material and he promised more surprises in the engagement that ends Saturday.

Though they didn't perform together, there was a unifying spirit to the evening that opened with a brief set by Amos Lee, a young singer-songwriter whose blues-influenced folk style has the gentle, yet wise and wry tone of some of James Taylor's early work.

Dylan and Haggard have admired each other since the '60s, when many of their fans, no doubt, were on opposite ends of many social and political issues. Dylan's folk and rock music celebrated a changing social order, championed largely by young liberals. Haggard's country songs were built more around traditional values, cheered by conservatives.

On Monday, however, there was common ground in their vital artistry and their mutual respect.

Haggard must have caught lots of the Dylan fans off-guard late in his 50-minute set when he sang a few lines of a new song toasting marijuana.

Was he repudiating the sentiments of "Okie From Muskogee," the conservative anthem from the '60s that listed marijuana as one sign the country was going to pot?

While the head-scratching was still going on, Haggard playfully offered that song's famous opening line, "We don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee/ We don't take our trips on LSD."

When he cut the song short, it looked like he had revised his feeling. But then he complicated things by going into a vigorous rendition of "The Fightin' Side of Me," another conservative favorite from the '60s that, with lines such as "if you don't love it leave it," chided Americans who were running the country down during the Vietnam War.

Haggard confused things again when he played "That's the News," the 2003 song that chided the Bush administration and the media for declaring prematurely that the Iraq War was over.

Clearly, Haggard is a complex figure whose views on social issues have evolved over the years.

There's never been any doubt about Dylan's complexity.

For anyone seeing Dylan for the first time in years Monday, it was easy to think he was wearing a western suit and cowboy hat in salute to Haggard, but he has favored that country bandleader look for years.

Similarly, his band continues to play with a roots-based intensity that feels like it grew out of the same honky-tonk circuit as Haggard's group, the Strangers.

With a lineup that includes flashy Elana Fremerman on violin and Donnie Herron on banjo and pedal steel guitar, Dylan and the six-piece unit roared with the fury of a locomotive, barreling down the tracks so fast that if you missed a note or a vocal line you'd be run over.

It's fascinating to remember how many years Dylan had to fight against his own fans' taunts when he refused to just play only the hits and when he freely rearranged songs so dramatically that they were almost unrecognizable.

Yet this freedom has clearly fueled him as a performer — as has shifting from guitar to piano, where he appears more comfortable and can better interact with the band members.

By now, audiences not only expect him to shake things up on stage, but look forward to it, cheering mightily when he stretched some of the recent material, including "Summer Days" and "Honest With Me," into marathon excursions, or when he turned "The Times They Are A-Changin' " inside out to make the folk tune into a modern locomotive express.

Seeing them back to back, it was also revealing to note just how different Dylan and Haggard are as writers. Working with many of the rules laid down in the '40s by Hank Williams, Haggard writes in a straightforward, yet graceful way that stresses economy of language. When he sang "Today I Started Loving You Again" on Monday, the beauty of the song was in its simple eloquence:

Today I started loving you again
I'm right back where I've really always been
I got over you just long enough to let my heartache mend
Then today, I started loving you again.

By contrast, Dylan's songs are a mixture of folk music and epic poetry traditions, so the lines are more complex, the meaning more challenging. The reward is in the elasticity of them.

Yet the common ground of their passion and craft was underscored when Dylan generously opened his encore segment by singing "Sing Me Back Home," a Haggard tune about prisoners on death row.

Listening to it, you recall how Dylan has also dipped into country tradition and written with such economy that Haggard would have felt right at home singing one of those Dylan numbers, especially "Knockin' on Heaven's Door."

It would have been a treat to hear Haggard and Dylan perform a song together, but just having them on the same stage for a night was, ultimately, magical enough.
March 24th, 2005 11:20 AM
Martha
quote:
sparkswillfly wrote:
I'm an infrequent contributer here, but figured I'd add to this thread after seeing Bob in my home town of Reno, NV the other night. This Dylan show was very different than the 5 previous times I've seen him. I don't follow Dylan around the country, as Rooster and I do for the Stones, but he makes more appearances in little old Reno than any other star of significant stature, and I can't pass up a Bob show when he rolls through town. The reviews on Bill Pagel's page from more hardcore Dylan followers than I seem to agree that the Reno show was among the best yet on this tour. Incidentally, the official setlist on Bill Pagel's page is way off, but the one given by the first reviewer with detailed commentary on each song is accurate (and his commentary is quite good, too, based on what I saw and heard). I heard fewer familiar songs than at other Dylan shows, apparently because he focused heavily on 2 recent studio albums (released in 2001 and 1999 according to the review in our local paper). However, the lack of familiar numbers for this casual follower of Dylan did not detract from the enjoyment of the show. This was my first Dylan show in which Bob never handled a guitar. He delivers his entire performance hunched over a keyboard. That would have appeared odd, but I knew it was coming after reading the reviews of his Oakland shows. His band was excellent, as was the sound in the Reno Hilton's miserable excuse for a concert venue. We were in the 9th row, dead center, so could see all the interactions on the stage very well. My wife noted several times how carefully each band member's eyes followed Bob, and commented that they didn't seem to know what he was going to do next. That could be right given that it's still early in this tour and that they have mixed up the setlist considerably from one show to the next. They opened with Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues" and I understand this was the first time Bob's done that in a long time; perhaps the "I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die" line in the song motivated this treat. When they did "Highway 61 Revisited" in the middle of the set, that alone was worth the price of admission. Everything else was icing, and there was plenty of that, like "All Along the Watchtower" as the closer. I guess my biggest complaint would be that the set was too short. They didn't have Merle Haggard to open, so I was hoping the Dylan set would be extended, but no such luck. But with an icon like Bob puting on such a great show a scant 10 minutes from my doorstep, that's a minor quibble. See a show on this tour -- you'll be glad you did!

Wonderful review thank you for posting it and WELCOME to the board! Now I get why he sang Folsom Prison Blues...doh!?! :-)

I'm seeing Bob in Chicago for the first three shows April 1st 2nd 3rd....and now am counting those days down with glee! Can't wait!

Pammy are you psyched?

Hazy....?

:-)

Martha

I'm stranded in the city that never sleeps.....
March 24th, 2005 11:23 AM
Gazza Lucky buggers. Wish I was joining you.

For those into collecting these shows, the "missing" middle show of the 3 night opener in Seattle (8th March) is now available on EZT
March 24th, 2005 01:02 PM
parmeda
quote:
Martha wrote:
Pammy are you psyched?

Girl...you know it doesn't take me much to get riled, lol

Have you decided yet on what you'd like to do when you get here? I'll give you a call at the start of next week.

I can't wait to see you!
March 24th, 2005 11:39 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Lucky buggers. Wish I was joining you.

For those into collecting these shows, the "missing" middle show of the 3 night opener in Seattle (8th March) is now available on EZT

http://www.easytree.org/torrents-details.php?id=33859

also:

Bob Dylan "Rock Solid" scrapped official live album SBD
March 25th, 2005 10:30 AM
Martha
quote:
parmeda wrote:

Girl...you know it doesn't take me much to get riled, lol

Have you decided yet on what you'd like to do when you get here? I'll give you a call at the start of next week.

I can't wait to see you!

Do? I want to see BOB!!!! LOL And you of course my darlin'! :-) Yes, let's chat next week, that works.

Until then, I'm counting down the days hours and minutes!

xxoo,
MM
March 25th, 2005 10:36 AM
Martha I cannot download....:-(
March 25th, 2005 03:21 PM
Gazza yes you can. :-)
March 26th, 2005 03:17 AM
mac_daddy wow - tonight was smokin!

dont think twice encore...

senor

dylan playin harp and dancin' center stage at one point...

great f*cking stuff!!!
March 26th, 2005 09:52 AM
Martha
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
wow - tonight was smokin!

dont think twice encore...

senor

dylan playin harp and dancin' center stage at one point...

great f*cking stuff!!!

Oh macd...good goin'! I am gonna dance a jig myself in honor of this great night! Gosh I wish I was there!!!
March 26th, 2005 09:55 AM
Martha
quote:
Gazza wrote:
yes you can. :-)

Huh??? I have dial-up. Doesn't that prohibit downloading?

Or is there another way???

xxxxoooo,
MM
March 26th, 2005 10:50 AM
mac_daddy people do use dialup - but you have to be able to be connected for 12-24 hours per show...
March 26th, 2005 12:47 PM
Martha
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
people do use dialup - but you have to be able to be connected for 12-24 hours per show...

Egaaaaads... I might die before I can do that! LOL

It ain't happenin,....

Are you gonna go insane and show up in Chicago to see more of these hot show! :-) That would be cool!

Won't jb finance that sort of thing for members of this board?

:-)
March 26th, 2005 01:57 PM
mac_daddy what album is "down along the cove" on..?
March 26th, 2005 06:50 PM
Martha
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
what album is "down along the cove" on..?

John Wesley Harding (available as a SACD)
March 27th, 2005 05:39 AM
mac_daddy thanks for the info, martha (i have the lp, but i also just picked up the sacd box set - i hope they do a second volume like that and at least include the basement tapes, budokan, before the flood, empire burlesque; blonde on blonde and blood on the tracks are nothing short of stunning on SACD)...

tonight, the show opened with maggie's farm, and then a SCORCHING "if you see her, say hello" - probably my fave tune of the week (!!!), although senor was terrific last night, as well this was followed by it's alright ma, and i thought we were in for a show of epic proportions. but things kind of peaked early (for me, at least - my buddy said he thought the show was pretty sweet, but my wife said it was just OK; it was the first of the gigs this tour that either had seen). tonight was heavy on love and theft material, highlighted with sugar baby, and misssissippi in the encore...

didnt get a shot with the neon lights going, but i did drive by today and snap this pic...

man, i dont know what i am going to do with myself tonight, with no show to go to please keep the reports coming in from denver and beyond (jaxx, are you going to any of these..?)...

Bob Dylan 2005-03-11 Portland AUD SHN (ezt)
Bob Dylan 2005-03-12 Portland AUD SHN (ezt)

_____

edit: where the hell were my manners?? justin, thank you eversomuch for the hookup with the extra tickets. they went to good use

also, i added the pic, included the links to the portland d/l's, and edited the text :P

[Edited by mac_daddy]
March 27th, 2005 11:06 AM
Martha Geez..I think the set list is awesome! I want Sugar Baby so badly...and Mississippi! Wow!

I know all about that let-down feeling once the gigs are over for ya'.....it sucks. I'll have to be placed in a straight jacket and driven madly out of Chicago since we aren't planning to do the 5 shows just the first 3 ( I reserve the right to stay though at the last minute, lol) . Sigh. I'll need help then like you do now! :-)

Great photo of the Pantages. Thanks for posting it. I've got to get to LA sometime this year.

Travelin' Man Records will be at BOTH Denver gigs...I'll prolly chat on the phone with him at some point during them. So, eventually I'll be getting those 2 shows from him somewhere down the rock and roll highway....I hope that makes ya' feel a bit better. :-)

Jaxx did you get my e-mail and are you going to the shows?

peace and love to all,
Martha

March 27th, 2005 04:08 PM
Lazy Bones Nice pic, mac!
March 27th, 2005 06:47 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
Nice pic, mac!

thanks.

_____

hey gazza - if i sent you a dvd with flac files, would you be able to work with that..?
March 28th, 2005 09:33 PM
mac_daddy tod - you can handle a dvd of flacs, right..?

March 31st, 2005 08:22 AM
mac_daddy tuesday @ the pantages (incomplete) (ezt)
March 31st, 2005 10:41 AM
Martha Stand back Bob! Here come the ROCKS OFF gals to inspire you!!!!

Sweet home Chicago here I come!

See you Friday Hazy!~

Pammy Saturday we ROCK!

xxxxxooooo,
Martha!

March 31st, 2005 10:54 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Martha wrote:
Geez..I think the set list is awesome! I want Sugar Baby so badly...and Mississippi! Wow!

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I've seen Sugar Baby performed live once (in State College, Nov '01) and it was one of the most transcendent moments of any Dylan show I've ever attended. Everybody in the place got completely silent all at once - you can hear it on the boot too, which is cool. A palpable focus of attention and concentration - nothing existed in that moment except the song.

I've never seen him do "Mississippi". I LOVE that tune.

I can't wait for his new album. He's been touring "Love & Theft" for a good while now - not that I'm complaining!

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour