ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Wellington Westpac Stadium, 18th April 2006
© Marty Melville with special thanks to Gyspy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: ABB goes Platinum in Europe Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
10th April 2006 01:29 PM
Soldatti
quote:

I may be in the minority, but I'm sad that there may never be a new Stones studio album ever again. If they took the best ideas from ABB and worked with them with a great producer like Rick Rubin, I think the results would be great. But with the sales of ABB taken into account, who knows if they will ever make an effort. If they tour again with no new album, I wonder if it will be a Licks style set-list??

Let's make it simple, here is the setlist of the last arena show in Saitama, Japan:

(Jumpin' Jack Flash / It's Only Rock'n Roll / Let's Spend The Night Together / Oh No, Not You Again / Sway / Wild Horses / Rain Fall Down / Midnight Rambler / Tumbling Dice / Band Introductions / This Place Is Empty / Happy / Miss You / Rough Justice / Start Me Up / Honky Tonk Women / Sympathy For The Devil / Paint It Black / Brown Sugar / You Can't Always Get What You Want / (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction)

Let's replace the new songs with stuff of the Licks tour:
(Jumpin' Jack Flash / It's Only Rock'n Roll / Let's Spend The Night Together / Can't You Hear Me Knocking / Sway / Wild Horses / Stray Cat Blues / Midnight Rambler / Tumbling Dice / Band Introductions / Before They Make Me Run / Happy / Miss You / Street Fighting Man / Start Me Up / Honky Tonk Women / Sympathy For The Devil / Paint It Black / Brown Sugar / You Can't Always Get What You Want / (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction)

What setlist do you want?
No one cares about their new albums on the shows.
10th April 2006 01:35 PM
jb 100% correc S.datti!!! We need to understand that the Stones play a generic set list with 1-3 gems rotating every other show..since most of us here are fantics and have attended more than 10 shows, we all heard everything we wanted and some songs we wished to never hear again(see Miss You, Night Time, )
10th April 2006 01:37 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

Let's replace the new songs with stuff of the Licks tour:
(Jumpin' Jack Flash / It's Only Rock'n Roll / Let's Spend The Night Together / Can't You Hear Me Knocking / Sway / Wild Horses / Stray Cat Blues / Midnight Rambler / Tumbling Dice / Band Introductions / Before They Make Me Run / Happy / Miss You / Street Fighting Man / Start Me Up / Honky Tonk Women / Sympathy For The Devil / Paint It Black / Brown Sugar / You Can't Always Get What You Want / (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction)

I don't believe Sway was played on the Licks tour, it made its debut in Columbus 2005. I see your point though about the general public not caring about newer stuff.
10th April 2006 01:42 PM
jb Sway was played in Columbus first as I recall..it was received like a Led Zeppelin, and thankfully, in large part to Chuck, brough back in New York etc...............Ohio has and continues to humiliate the Stones(see 94 second show cancelled).
10th April 2006 01:43 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Stones wrote:
They should have sold the new CD at each show, right next to the shirts....

should have been included with all platinum fan club memberships (to boost the numbers), sold with tickets (see Pearl Jam) and sold at shows. Also should have been a part of the fantastic fan asylum packages!
10th April 2006 01:56 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
jb wrote:
Sway was played in Columbus first as I recall..it was received like a Led Zeppelin, and thankfully, in large part to Chuck, brough back in New York etc...............Ohio has and continues to humiliate the Stones(see 94 second show cancelled).

Which 94 second show was cancelled?? I saw them in Cincinnati in 89 & 94, and Columbus in 2002 & 2005. The Cincy crowds were much better than the Columbus ones.
10th April 2006 07:20 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
I don't believe Sway was played on the Licks tour, it made its debut in Columbus 2005.

I only replaced the new songs with stuff of the Licks tour.
10th April 2006 07:34 PM
Soldatti Official from IFPI's site:
http://www.ifpi.org/site-content/platinum/platinum_intro.html
10th April 2006 08:03 PM
ketvos You can ignore cuz I'm a noob to this board but, my .02 cents are that you can't use the Super Bowl as a positive advertising thing in the US.

They got screwed on a good audio mix. We all know that. The general public doesn't realize that and they just think "the stones are old and washed up" only my musician friends realize how a bad mix does not = a bad band/performance.

'puts on flame suit'
10th April 2006 08:10 PM
Poison Dart What are the total worldwide sales?
10th April 2006 08:56 PM
glencar In 1994 the second Cleveland show was canceled. Cleveland rocks! NOT!
10th April 2006 09:43 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Poison Dart wrote:
What are the total worldwide sales?

1.1/1.2m Europe
800/900k USA/Canada/Rest of America
300/400k Asia/Australia/Rest of the world

Worldwide: 2.2/2.5m
10th April 2006 10:39 PM
pdog Platinum crap!
11th April 2006 07:43 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
pdog wrote:
Platinum crap!

Is that when you eat nothing but Cheetos for 4 days straight?? Lord knows what those things do to your finger tips.
11th April 2006 10:33 AM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

90% of the music in the Billboard charts sucks, but it sell millions.

ABB sold over 1 million in Europe, the problem is the current music taste of the US buying public. I bet my ass that they can release a new Some Girls and it will sell the same of ABB. Time Waits For No One...

Well said.
11th April 2006 11:48 AM
jb Soldatti and I were 100$ correct as to US sales.....we truly are gifted people.
11th April 2006 12:53 PM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
jb wrote:
Soldatti and I were 100$ correct as to US sales.....we truly are gifted people.

Why are the Americans humiliating the Stones by not buying ABB?
11th April 2006 01:11 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:

Many die-hards like myself bought two copies, one when the album came out in September, another with the bonus DVD version. Sadly, some didn't even know there was a new album out since there was basically no promotion or radio play (the only way some know when a band has a new album out).
11th April 2006 01:23 PM
jb
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:

We seem to shoot our load as far as the concerts are concerned, but are impotent when it comes to buying the actual product..........we also elected George Bush-that should tell you something about the state of affairs over here.
11th April 2006 06:54 PM
Gazza
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

Many die-hards like myself bought two copies, one when the album came out in September, another with the bonus DVD version. Sadly, some didn't even know there was a new album out since there was basically no promotion or radio play (the only way some know when a band has a new album out).

how much more promotion do you need than a tour of almost 60 shows in front of over 2 million people and a prime time appearance at the most watched televised event in the country?

Radio play isnt that essential. I'm sure there are plenty of rap acts who dont get a lot of radio play because of the content of their material - but they can still shift millions of albums, without playing to the audiences that the Stones enjoy.

Theres NO fucking excuse for people who can think nothing of paying hundreds of dollars a ticket (and probably about another $40-50 afterwards on some tacky bit of overpriced merchandise that happens to have a tongue on it) but who cant spend, what, $15 on a CD of their 'favourite' band. None at all.

The Stones must be unique in that - going by the ticket sales versus album sales - most of the people who go to their concerts arent even fans.

Additionally, you cant even blame the problem (as some have done) with downloading. It hasnt hit other major acts too badly and Stones fans hardly fit the demographic of your average downloader.
[Edited by Gazza]
11th April 2006 07:05 PM
Gazza
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

Completely false. With the exeption of the Phoenix Club show and to a certain extent Fenway Park, tickets were very easy to get for face value at all pricing levels through TM or the box office. This was by far the easiest tour to get tickets for that they have ever done. I was in the first 10 rows several times and only used a broker a couple of times and that was to pay under face value!

Yep..very easy to get tickets for this tour if you played the game properly and had some patience

11th April 2006 07:07 PM
Gazza
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

90% of the music in the Billboard charts sucks, but it sell millions.

ABB sold over 1 million in Europe, the problem is the current music taste of the US buying public. I bet my ass that they can release a new Some Girls and it will sell the same of ABB. Time Waits For No One...

100% correct

Different era
Different band
Different audience
12th April 2006 07:51 AM
Bitch The band has played several songs live from ABB,M and I heard them all on different nights

ROUGH JUSTICE
BACK OF MY HAND
OH NO NOT YOU AGAIN
INFAMY
THIS PLACE IS EMPTY
RAIN FALL DOWN
IT WONT TAKE LONG

That's a respectable number of songs from ABB! With all the people who have attended the shows, you would think the excitement of hearing these new songs live would have inspired more sales! Causes quite a shock, all they got is some memories tucked in an old shoebox. STONES have always been a live band audience thrilling machine, sometimes the CD's dont pack a powerful punch in comparison. I did buy both the original CD and CD/DVD and like UNDER THE RADAR very much. That should be released as a single.
12th April 2006 08:54 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Bitch wrote:
The band has played several songs live from ABB,M and I heard them all on different nights

ROUGH JUSTICE
BACK OF MY HAND
OH NO NOT YOU AGAIN
INFAMY
THIS PLACE IS EMPTY
RAIN FALL DOWN
IT WONT TAKE LONG

That's a respectable number of songs from ABB!

It'd be respectable if they were playing those seven songs EVERY night, but we're getting around three A Bigger Bang performances per show. That's not good promotion.
12th April 2006 10:32 AM
heymjm
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

Many die-hards like myself bought two copies, one when the album came out in September, another with the bonus DVD version.

ABB is also available as a double vinyl LP - so you can buy it three times if you want to get the best sounding version as well as the 'convenience' digital formats.
12th April 2006 10:33 AM
jb Bottom line, we Stones fans suck!!!
12th April 2006 10:47 AM
Soldatti
quote:
heymjm wrote:

ABB is also available as a double vinyl LP - so you can buy it three times if you want to get the best sounding version as well as the 'convenience' digital formats.

I've seen the vinyl here but I will not buy a damn album 3 times in less than a year...
12th April 2006 11:34 AM
heymjm
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

I've seen the vinyl here but I will not buy a damn album 3 times in less than a year...

It does seem a tad excessive I agree - however all three put together still cost less than one of my Twickenham tickets.

So there is still no obvious answer as to why the ABB album sales are so low in comparison to concert attendance figures. I wouldn't have thought it unreasonable to buy the latest album of a band you have just seen (and presumably enjoyed)in concert

I wonder if there has been a noticable uplift in the 'classic' album sales (e.g. Sticky Fingers) or the 40 licks compilation?
12th April 2006 11:46 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
heymjm wrote:

I wonder if there has been a noticable uplift in the 'classic' album sales (e.g. Sticky Fingers) or the 40 licks compilation?

The big compilation albums like theirs are always the big sellers, the 40 Licks, Hot Rocks and Jump Back still sell well and contain the songs most people identify the Stones with. As far as their best selling studio albums, they are the "big 4" along with GHS, SG and TY.
12th April 2006 12:05 PM
Gazza
quote:
Bitch wrote:
The band has played several songs live from ABB,M and I heard them all on different nights

ROUGH JUSTICE
BACK OF MY HAND
OH NO NOT YOU AGAIN
INFAMY
THIS PLACE IS EMPTY
RAIN FALL DOWN
IT WONT TAKE LONG

That's a respectable number of songs from ABB!

it is, but in fairness youd need to have attended shows several months apart to have seen all of them. They havent done more than 4 new songs at any one show, and in some cases as little as two.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)