ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Wellington Westpac Stadium, 18th April 2006
© Marty Melville with special thanks to Gyspy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: ABB goes Platinum in Europe Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
8th April 2006 03:43 PM
Soldatti James Blunt album sales pass 5m

James Blunt and Robbie Williams' albums have gone five-times platinum, say the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI).

Blunt's debut album Back to Bedlam passed the five million mark across Europe and continues to sell well.

Williams also gained a fifth platinum level for European sales for his latest album Intensive Care.

The Rolling Stones, Katie Melua, Zucchero and Radiohead were the other artists to win Platinum Europe Awards.

Back to Bedlam propelled Blunt to stardom and earned him two Brit awards this year - best pop act and best male solo artist.

The former soldier released the album in October 2004 and it has gone nine-times platinum in the UK alone, where it was the best selling album of 2005.

Intensive Care is Williams' eighth studio album and was the biggest selling title in Europe last year, despite only being released in October.

It has sold in 19 countries, and mirrors the success of his 2004 Greatest Hits album which also passed the five million copy mark last month.

Radiohead's critically acclaimed third album OK Computer has now sold more than three million copies in Europe.

The album won a Grammy for best alternative album after its 1997 release, and often tops best ever album opinion polls.

Katie Melua's second album Piece By Piece equalled the European success of her debut Call Off The Search by selling more than two million copies.

The 21-year-old singer-songwriter, has enjoyed widespread success since being spotted as a student in a Brits School showcase.

Zucchero's Zu & Co achieved its first million sales in Europe as a whole, even though it has gone four-times platinum in his native Italy.

The album features duets with Miles Davis, Sheryl Crow, Paul Young, Brian May, Sting and The Cranberries' Delores O'Riordan.

The Rolling Stones album A Bigger Bang also sold its first one million copies in Europe.

The September 2005 release accompanies the world tour of the same name, and is the long awaited follow-up to 1997's studio album Bridges to Babylon.

8th April 2006 04:04 PM
Poison Dart Is that a good # in Europe?
8th April 2006 04:48 PM
Gazza Its not bad for the Stones in 2005-2006 and considering the tour hasnt reached here yet.

Its certainly performed better than it did in North America, especially considering how many shows they played there.
8th April 2006 05:40 PM
SweetVirginia
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Its not bad for the Stones in 2005-2006 and considering the tour hasnt reached here yet.

Its certainly performed better than it did in North America, especially considering how many shows they played there.

I'm afraid the North American tour
just sold more copies of "Jump Back".

SV

8th April 2006 06:07 PM
Gazza I'm not surprised. The setlists would suggest that was the album they were touring behind!
8th April 2006 06:16 PM
charlotte nothing like a rip-off short (made for TV) set list to inspire gazza to do some prime time postin!!
8th April 2006 08:23 PM
Poison Dart Is still don't understand why it didn't do better in the US. People were dropping $2,000 a ticket in Boston opening night. But the album has only sold around 500k thus far.

They have to get on the radio and Vh-1 next time around.

PS: ABB is cerified platinum in the US from Billboard.
8th April 2006 08:29 PM
glencar In the USA, the plat certification concerns how many copies were shipped to stores. It is amazing how few copies were sold here. Frankly, I'm embarrassed for this country.
8th April 2006 09:05 PM
GimmeExile
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I'm not surprised. The setlists would suggest that was the album they were touring behind!

That's a funny, witty line...and it works! But are Sway, Worried About You, Far Away Eyes and She's So Cold on JUMP BACK?
8th April 2006 09:09 PM
glencar Check out some Licks Tour setlists. Boy, those are memorable!
8th April 2006 10:41 PM
Egbert
quote:
GimmeExile wrote:

That's a funny, witty line...and it works! But are Sway, Worried About You, Far Away Eyes and She's So Cold on JUMP BACK?

No, but SSC (and Doo x 5) should be.
8th April 2006 11:53 PM
voodoopug
quote:
glencar wrote:
In the USA, the plat certification concerns how many copies were shipped to stores. It is amazing how few copies were sold here. Frankly, I'm embarrassed for this country.

we told people this months ago and were mocked and attacked. The line for apologies forms to the left!

The folks spending thousands to see the show in Fenway were paying the top dollar for the status to see a historic band in a historic venue. Lets not kid ourselves here, Oh No Not You Again has not sold any tickets this tour!
9th April 2006 09:34 AM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

we told people this months ago and were mocked and attacked. The line for apologies forms to the left!

The folks spending thousands to see the show in Fenway were paying the top dollar for the status to see a historic band in a historic venue. Lets not kid ourselves here, Oh No Not You Again has not sold any tickets this tour!

It's a humiliation for the Stones so few copies of ABB were sold in the States! The proof the USA don't like them anymore.
9th April 2006 09:33 PM
Soldatti
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:

It's a humiliation for the Stones so few copies of ABB were sold in the States! The proof the USA don't like them anymore.

The people like them, but not their new albums. Still, +500k without airplay on radio or TV is not so bad.
9th April 2006 10:33 PM
Poison Dart The Stones are still popular in the US. Their tickets were very tough to get w/out paying twice the face value.

The problem is they are now seen as a corporate entity rather than a creative force.
10th April 2006 03:39 AM
UGot2Rollme It's great news, but could be that alot of those ABB CD's are still in inventory - they had a pile of them in the local record store (Basel) here last week, on sale for equivalent of $8.
10th April 2006 04:54 AM
Prodigal Son Hmm, I'm surprised jb hasn't chimed in yet complaining that this is not sufficient due to the length of time it took to go platinum. Don't forget chewing out the American record buyer and turning this "defeat" into a rant against U2/Bono, Macca and the Beatles. It's become a ritual!
10th April 2006 06:57 AM
Break The Spell Yes, ABB is certified platinum, but may be another year or more till it actually sells 1,000,000 in the US. Last I saw it was around 510k in actual sales. Maybe this fall will inject more sales into it with a tour.
10th April 2006 09:55 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Poison Dart wrote:
The Stones are still popular in the US. Their tickets were very tough to get w/out paying twice the face value.

The problem is they are now seen as a corporate entity rather than a creative force.

Completely false. With the exeption of the Phoenix Club show and to a certain extent Fenway Park, tickets were very easy to get for face value at all pricing levels through TM or the box office. This was by far the easiest tour to get tickets for that they have ever done. I was in the first 10 rows several times and only used a broker a couple of times and that was to pay under face value!
10th April 2006 11:26 AM
jb This was caused , in large part, by the failure to release a meaningful single, and letting SOL "introduce" their first studio album in 8yrs. The reality is that the record has sold astonishingly poor here considering the amazing publicity it received..a tour, fantastic reviews, super-bowl apperence, Rio, China etc...the buying public abadoned the Stones after VL and things have gone south ever since,..(see GITDW, LIve Licks, Rarities, 4 Flicks DVD(faje certification based on 4 discs!!!).
Also, the Stones are not very popular here anymore as Pug pointed out...the "thrill " of a Stones show ceased after 89, and all who have wanted to see Jagger et al have done so. It is the hardcore fan base(478k-571K) that support the band...most venues were completely wide open, and corporate sponsors gobbled up thousands of seats which were given away. The only thing that saved us is the higher prices, which as we(Pug and I) have correctly pointed out, will and must continue to climb to we reach $500 for a upper deck ticket and 10k for "special fan package" event(i.e. first row, laminate , t-shirt, buffet/bar, drumstick/pick, signed 8x10 of band).
Off coursed U2(media darlings) hurt us, as they sold out over 158 show, in multiple venues...many close in time to Stones shows...Cohl saved his ass by making sure to still allow us to retain "highest grsssing" record, despite his U2 conflict of interest....
Also, we must blame our European/Asian /Dutch friends as we(US of A fans) are forced again to subsidize their horrific sales, despite the lower prices. We have and continue to pay more to allow the band to play these less profitable venues.
Sadly, the Stones will never see another #1(even though Barry Manilow hit #1 here with 50's remakes!!!), as our last shot was 40 Licks, which sold a very solid 350k units it's first week, but we fucked up by releasing it at the same time as Elvis' #1's..one more week , wither prior or after, and we could have done it!!! But a huge fuck up!!!
There will be no new albums as Jagger is smart and sees the demand is so diminimus, that he , already not wanting to be with Keith in a room, will point to the sales as say, "why the fuck bother", lets just tour again and make the big $$$$.

Pug and I arer owed many apologies as we have accurately called all asoects of this tour since the inception, and I, personallym, have been calli9ng it correct for the almost 10 years of posting...thank you.
10th April 2006 11:46 AM
voodoopug 100% accurate!
10th April 2006 11:50 AM
Break The Spell I may be in the minority, but I'm sad that there may never be a new Stones studio album ever again. If they took the best ideas from ABB and worked with them with a great producer like Rick Rubin, I think the results would be great. But with the sales of ABB taken into account, who knows if they will ever make an effort. If they tour again with no new album, I wonder if it will be a Licks style set-list??
10th April 2006 11:54 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
I may be in the minority, but I'm sad that there may never be a new Stones studio album ever again. If they took the best ideas from ABB and worked with them with a great producer like Rick Rubin, I think the results would be great. But with the sales of ABB taken into account, who knows if they will ever make an effort. If they tour again with no new album, I wonder if it will be a Licks style set-list??

see the recent setlists...they are already doing a greatest hits type show. I also would like to see them continue to release new material, but it is getting difficult to swallow the sales numbers. The decision of which songs to release as singles is just dreadful and has cost the band thousands of sales. The decision to not perform much of it live is a reflection on the direction they are taking. Folks wont spend 1-10K per ticket to see the new songs, they know they must continue to play the "Hot ROcks"
10th April 2006 12:01 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

see the recent setlists...they are already doing a greatest hits type show. I also would like to see them continue to release new material, but it is getting difficult to swallow the sales numbers. The decision of which songs to release as singles is just dreadful and has cost the band thousands of sales. The decision to not perform much of it live is a reflection on the direction they are taking. Folks wont spend 1-10K per ticket to see the new songs, they know they must continue to play the "Hot ROcks"

Very sad, but very true Pug. There's Richie Sambora tribute bands too?? How scary...
10th April 2006 12:07 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

Facts are facts unfortunately: they won't vary the setlists. If you wanted that, Licks is when you shoulda seen em. The thing is, I'm not really gonna be bothered if they play that setlist come August, cos live is live if you get my drift. Of course I would like Sway, WAY and Rambler, but complaining is really only relevant if you are wathching things happen on a message board, with detached involvement. Of course, it makes perfect sense in this context!!!!!!!!!
10th April 2006 01:03 PM
Saint Sway the true humiliation is in the product - not the sales.

the crap that they were allowed to be put on this album under the title of "Rolling Stones" is disgraceful

people didnt buy ABB simply because it sucks
10th April 2006 01:03 PM
jb Even in their prime, they never changed set lists..this is not fucking aPearl Jam/Dead/Phish...you get a consitent product that provides 2hrs 1 minute of entertainment. I laugh when we say howe they mix it up, when they change 1-2 songs ...that's, imo, not a major shake-up. They can't ad lib as these are well choreographed shows...from Mick's throwing ofd the hat, to Keith's 'it's good to be here"...it's all in the script!!!
10th April 2006 01:16 PM
Stones They should have sold the new CD at each show, right next to the shirts....
10th April 2006 01:19 PM
jb
quote:
Stones wrote:
They should have sold the new CD at each show, right next to the shirts....

For some reason, I sense the retailers would have been unhappy and the faux million shipment certifiction would not have happened....
10th April 2006 01:28 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
people didnt buy ABB simply because it sucks

90% of the music in the Billboard charts sucks, but it sell millions.

ABB sold over 1 million in Europe, the problem is the current music taste of the US buying public. I bet my ass that they can release a new Some Girls and it will sell the same of ABB. Time Waits For No One...
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)