ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Wellington Westpac Stadium, 18th April 2006
© Marty Melville with special thanks to Gyspy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Neil Young Appreciation Thread **nsc** Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
6th April 2006 05:01 PM
UGot2Rollme I just watched the Live 8 DVD, Neil with his wife singin
4 Strong Winds..about half way through this mellow cowboy tune you can hear the crowd start to clap along and the spirit just catches on. and builds. Seeing this reinvigorated my gratitude for how much this Mr. Soul has offered to us over the years..

"If the good times all are gone, then I'm bound for movin on..I'll look for you, if I'm ever back this way..."

Hey Hey My My..
[Edited by UGot2Rollme]
6th April 2006 05:16 PM
voodoopug
6th April 2006 05:20 PM
sirmoonie A true original, one of the greatest, still creating great rock and roll.
6th April 2006 07:03 PM
nanatod "Powderfinger" may be best song ever.
6th April 2006 09:56 PM
Lazy Bones This thread's for you!

6th April 2006 10:59 PM
pdog I played Neil Young tonight during our family dinner...
I used the same tracklist he used for his best of CD released last year, and burned it onto a CD for myself. It was really great... I first remeber hearing him when his double live LP came out. My sister had it, and the acoustic and elctric parts both struck me as so powerful. Been a fan since.
7th April 2006 01:12 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Really what can you say about Neil Young? He's a National Treasure....even if he is Canadian.
7th April 2006 01:14 PM
Break The Spell Neil's great, I wish they'd reissue and remaster his entire catalogue and not just certain albums the way they did a couple years back. Also, a cd release of Time Fades Away is way overdue.
7th April 2006 01:18 PM
doo doo doo Dude Neil transcends it all. a true original with the utmost integrity.
7th April 2006 01:24 PM
Egbert
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
Neil's great, I wish they'd reissue and remaster his entire catalogue and not just certain albums the way they did a couple years back. Also, a cd release of Time Fades Away is way overdue.

The Greatest Hits CD is nice but a remastered Decade would've been better.
7th April 2006 01:27 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Egbert wrote:

Yes, I'd like his whole catalogue from the 60's through the late 80's to get that same upgrade in sound quality as the tracks that made it to the greatest hits cd have. The majority of his output from those years are still the same sound quality as when they were originally released on cd in the late 80's.
7th April 2006 01:34 PM
Egbert
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
Yes, I'd like his whole catalogue from the 60's through the late 80's to get that same upgrade in sound quality as the tracks that made it to the greatest hits cd have. The majority of his output from those years are still the same sound quality as when they were originally released on cd in the late 80's.

There's been rumors of a huge career-spanning boxed set from Neil for about a decade now. I'd like to see the indivual albums (now CDs) remastered as well - particularly Everybody Knows..., After The Goldrush, Tonight's The Night, and Zuma.
7th April 2006 01:35 PM
pdog
quote:
Egbert wrote:

The GH's package contained stuff rom albums already remastered, that I owned, so I just burned a CD of that track order, kinda pointless to pay for a CD... The track order, is fantastic, however and if one doesn't own his stuff, I highly recomend buying that GH's package!
7th April 2006 01:37 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Egbert wrote:

There's been rumors of a huge career-spanning boxed set from Neil for about a decade now. I'd like to see the indivual albums (now CDs) remastered as well - particularly Everybody Knows..., After The Goldrush, Tonight's The Night, and Zuma.

I remember hearing talk of that box set around the time Silver & Gold came out 6 years ago, but nothing from it since. I'd like to see it happen still, hopefully has some great live stuff on it!!
7th April 2006 01:39 PM
Egbert
quote:
pdog wrote:
The GH's package contained stuff rom albums already remastered, that I owned, so I just burned a CD of that track order, kinda pointless to pay for a CD... The track order, is fantastic, however and if one doesn't own his stuff, I highly recomend buying that GH's package!

I love the 1-2 opening punch of Down By The River and Cowgirl.
7th April 2006 01:40 PM
Break The Spell I love the song "Mr. Soul", the main riff kinda reminds me of Satisfaction meets Jumpin' Jack flash.
7th April 2006 02:12 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
Also, a cd release of Time Fades Away is way overdue.

A-friggin-men!

petition here...

http://www.thrasherswheat.org/tnfy/tfa-petition.php
7th April 2006 02:13 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

A-friggin-men!

petition here...

http://www.thrasherswheat.org/tnfy/tfa-petition.php

THANK YOU!! I'm glad someone else agrees with me on this. How such a great album has gone all but forgotten is truly a crime.
7th April 2006 02:14 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Egbert wrote:
I'd like to see the indivual albums (now CDs) remastered as well - particularly Everybody Knows..., After The Goldrush, Tonight's The Night, and Zuma.

...and his best album - On The Beach!
7th April 2006 02:24 PM
Egbert
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
...and his best album - On The Beach!

Oh yeah - that's a good one too - I thought it was remastered when it was released on CD a couple years ago.
7th April 2006 02:28 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Egbert wrote:

Oh yeah - that's a good one too - I thought it was remastered when it was released on CD a couple years ago.

A few of his 60's/70'/early 80's albums were remastered, but the majority are just the same original cd releases from the late 80's. It would have made more sense to just do them all at once.
7th April 2006 02:29 PM
Egbert
quote:
Egbert wrote:

Although how could it be remastered when it was not previously released on CD?
7th April 2006 02:33 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Egbert wrote:

Although how could it be remastered when it was not previously released on CD?

Digitally remastered, meaning an upgrade in sound quality from the original master tapes. Even though it was not previously issued on CD, they just meant in that case the sound upgrade.
7th April 2006 02:39 PM
Egbert
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
Digitally remastered, meaning an upgrade in sound quality from the original master tapes. Even though it was not previously issued on CD, they just meant in that case the sound upgrade.

Thanks for clarifying that. OTB has been remastered in the "HDCD" format, same as the Greatest Hits CD (and also Buffalo Springfield Again, by the way).
7th April 2006 02:51 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Egbert wrote:

Thanks for clarifying that. OTB has been remastered in the "HDCD" format, same as the Greatest Hits CD (and also Buffalo Springfield Again, by the way).

Not a problem. Buffalo Springfield had some great tracks, I always liked "Broken Arrow", "Rock & Roll Woman", "Expecting To Fly" and "Bluebird".
8th April 2006 07:01 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Neil Young
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
Reprise, Released 1969

It's not the fact that this album went platinum; it's that Young and Crazy Horse put the components of folk, rock and country together so well that they established themselves as one of the most influental acts to come out of the late '60s. The opening strains of "Cinnamon Girl" alone can be heard unabashedly throughout the '90s and today from the likes of Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Sonic Youth and Pavement, thus making this album one of the sharper arrows in Young's quiver.

Deep and unpretentious lyrics pepper each song as Young emotes folky desperation, desire, and frankness. The simple and distorted chords display the rock 'n' roll aspects of the album while the harmonies ring of Nashville country. "Round & Round (It Won't Be Long)" plays like a dirge that could find itself at home in a dusty bar in Albuquerque or on the toungues of cowboys moving along the Pecos River. "The Losing End (When You're On)" is a Texas two-step that is straight out of Hank Williams' playbook. "Down by the River" is strong enough on its own to justify the recording of an entire album. Its composition is tight and the lyrics fluid making its length seem like an exquisite moment of convergent harmony.

As a whole, the album plays like a well -rchestrated jam session. While that may have been a popular gimmick at the time with the psychedelic set, with these guys, it was an excercise in breeding some familiarity in the safety of Young's home studio in Topanga, California. It's taken some time to get the balance right, but the resultant chemistry between Crazy Horse and Young is like oxygen and hydrogen mixing in a one-two ratio.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
8th April 2006 07:20 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
8th April 2006 08:27 AM
Sir Stonesalot Neil Young is the greatest living Canadian....and quite probably, the greatest Canadian EVER.

Tonight's the Night is one of the greatest albums ever recorded by man or beast.

The world, and my life, are better because of Neil Young.

I worship the ground he trods on.
8th April 2006 11:04 AM
Sir Stonesalot >I'd like to see the indivual albums (now CDs) remastered as well - particularly Everybody Knows..., After The Goldrush, Tonight's The Night, and Zuma<

Please do not touch "Tonight's The Night", "Zuma", or "On The Beach"(I know, they already did...but I won't buy it.)

It won't sound right if they clean them up. They are perfect the way that they are.
8th April 2006 04:30 PM
FPM C10 More barn!

I've never seen an actual Neil Young concert (hope to change that before one of us dies) but I have seen him play twice - in 1974 with those hippie loads Crosby Stills and Nash (he was the only memorable thing about the show - "Only Love Can Break Your Heart" was a highlight) and at the Dylan tribute in '92. Neil stomped out right after everyone had been seriously bummed out by Sinead O'Connor getting her bald head booed offstage, and made everyone IMMEDIATELY forget the recent unpleasantness. (Wish he'd make an appearance in the I Hate Paris Hilton thread) Everyone laughed when he said "Thanks for having BobFest, Bob!" in that "I just smoked two joints" voice of his, and then he broke out the most amazing version of "Tom Thumb's Blues" (thanks for the correction, Prodigal Son - at least I had the right album!). Of course, when he sang "I'm going back to New York City", the place went nuts.

Of course, the version of "All Along the Watchtower" that followed was spectacular, but I think "Tom Thumb" took the cake. One of the definite highlights in an evening comprised entirely of highlights.

[Edited by Al Zheimer]
[Edited by FPM C10]
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)