ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Wellington Westpac Stadium, 18th April 2006
© Marty Melville with special thanks to Gyspy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Neil Young Appreciation Thread **nsc** Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
14th April 2006 05:23 AM
Prodigal Son
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Hey, Prodigal Son should review this album for us.

I know it hasn't been released, and he hasn't heard it yet...but I'll bet he could tell us all about it.

So how about it man? Does it get a B+? Maybe just an A- because it's too preachy?

How will we know if we should buy it if our man Proddy doesn't clue us in about it!?!

Now don't go getting yer panties all in a twist Son....I'm just teasing.

I could sense you were and your last line just clinched it. Wow, with my psychic brain waves I'll have to absorb all this info. Political Neil="Ohio," "Campaigner," Hawks & Doves, International Harvesters, Freedom, the Weld tour (with its various snippets of war sounds and "Blowing in the Wind"), Greendale's "Be the Rain" (its best tune). I've found happy Neil usually doesn't cut it as much as Angry Neil, though Comes a Time may be the best "happy" album he ever created. Angry Neil=see above + "Southern Man," "Needle and the Damage Done," everything from 73 to 75, Eldorado EP, "Fuckin' up," and so on.

Prognosis: If this is the one he's been talking about doing with Crazy Horse, it should be his best in since Ragged Glory. If not, it stills sounds like it could be his best since Sleeps with Angels.
Then again, he did some real kick-ass rock & roll w/out Crazy Horse once, see 1989 and the live cuts with the Bluenotes ("Ain't it the Truth," "This Note's for You") from 1988. That story seems quite bizarre. He recorded it in 3 days? He must've had the songs all ready to go. When you're on a roll, you're on a roll.

This will prolly be powerful, forceful, loud, abrasive, not so tuneful and devoid of warm, fuzzy feelings. Therefore making 75% of Neil's fanbase wet their pants in excitement and a multitude of whiny acoustic fans (especially the ones that also find CSNY, James Taylor and Cat Stevens to be worthwhile music) decry it as a disgrace in the face of Prairie Wind. Heck if I bought Prairie Wind or Re-ac-tor or This Note's for You, I'm sure as hell buying this one too.
14th April 2006 06:06 AM
Gazza
quote:
nanatod wrote:
Latest news from jambase.com today:

"As Harp Magazine reports today Neil Young has announced a new album... and it's already finished!
The news that Neil Young has a complete album in the bag shocked all of us at JamBase. On the heels of his very successful 2005 release, Prairie Wind and with his award-winning documentary Neil Young: Heart of Gold in theatres now, no one saw this coming.

Filmmaker Jonathan Demme (who filmed Neil Young: Heart of Gold) recently sent an email stating; "Neil just finished writing and recording – with no warning – a new album called Life in War. It all happened in three days."

Young has long worked under the "strike while the iron is hot" mentality, often working in creative spurts and never forcing it. Well, it seems the iron must have been burning bright for him to create a complete album in three days!

Jesus Christ. 3 days. It would take the Stones a week to get the right drum sound.

On the down side, I suppose this news means that "Archives" is on the back burner...again.
14th April 2006 11:37 AM
Left Shoe Shuffle The International Harvesters = Political Neil?
Straight ahead C& W?
Rufus Thibodeaux and I had a good laugh about that one.

quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
This will prolly be powerful, forceful, loud, abrasive, not so tuneful and devoid of warm, fuzzy feelings. Therefore making 75% of Neil's fanbase wet their pants in excitement and a multitude of whiny acoustic fans (especially the ones that also find CSNY, James Taylor and Cat Stevens to be worthwhile music) decry it as a disgrace in the face of Prairie Wind.

Son, you're so verbose that you make Don King seem like Harpo Marx by comparison.
14th April 2006 11:47 AM
nanatod
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:

Is Rufus Thibodeaux still ALIVE????
14th April 2006 03:27 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
nanatod wrote:
Is Rufus Thibodeaux still ALIVE????

Sadly, no. He died last year.
Just had to name check the Harvester that got the biggest cheer every night.

Neil noted his passing in the liner notes of Prairie Wind.

14th April 2006 03:36 PM
Prodigal Son
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:
The International Harvesters = Political Neil?
Straight ahead C& W?

Son, you're so verbose that you make Don King seem like Harpo Marx by comparison.

Yeah, it is a bit like Don King. Well I brought up International Harvesters more because it was a period of time where Neil was political. And a time where he impersonated Willie Nelson, dressing up in bandanas and beards. Good thing he didn't try dyeing his hair red too. Even though Neil was a Reagan-booster in the 80s, he still leaned to the left because in this time he kept complaining about the plight of farmers and bringing light to their struggles. He was one of the key movers and shakers in getting Farm Aid started, wasn't he?
14th April 2006 04:24 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
Well I brought up International Harvesters more because it was a period of time where Neil was political. And a time where he impersonated Willie Nelson, dressing up in bandanas and beards. Good thing he didn't try dyeing his hair red too. Even though Neil was a Reagan-booster in the 80s, he still leaned to the left because in this time he kept complaining about the plight of farmers and bringing light to their struggles. He was one of the key movers and shakers in getting Farm Aid started, wasn't he?

Neil and The International Harvesters had been together for a while prior to Farm Aid. They happened to be his band du jour at the time of Farm Aid I.
Aside from a three song set at Farm Aid II, that show marked the end of the Harvesters.

BTW, Neil wasn't impersonating Willie.
He was just being Neil.
14th April 2006 06:47 PM
Sir Stonesalot >BTW, Neil wasn't impersonating Willie.
He was just being Neil.<

Amen brother.

Neil started doing the whole "country" thing just to spite his record company.

If that ain't Neil being Neil...I don't know what is.
14th April 2006 07:52 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
Prognosis: If this is the one he's been talking about doing with Crazy Horse, it should be his best in since Ragged Glory. If not, it stills sounds like it could be his best since Sleeps with Angels.

I was gonna say, better than Broken Arrow and Sleeps..? Contrary to many Neil fans (with Crazy Horse, at that), I've always liked Broken Arrow. Of his 90s albums, only Ragged Glory is stronger, imo...
14th April 2006 08:22 PM
mickmask I was an absolute honour to see him perform at Live 8...4 strong winds actually brought tears to my eyes...and the closing jam session of 'Rockin' in The Free World' was truly a moment I'll never forget.
If you haven't seen the performance, check it out..truly fantastic..if not a little amusing. (no one knew when/how to end the show and it went on and on until someone gave a cue..everyone was singing and laughing...just hilarious.)

14th April 2006 08:49 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle Neil's website has confirmed the rumors:
"I just finished a new record... a power trio with trumpet and 100 voices.....recorded earlier this month.....i think it is a metal version of Phil Ochs and Bob Dylan.....Metal folk protest?.....it's called LIVING WITH WAR.....the title song is the second of 10 songs on this record....."

Lyrics will be posted on the site's ticker.
LIVING WITH WAR is up now.

I'm living with war everyday
I'm living with war in my heart everyday
I'm living with war right now

And when the dawn breaks
I see my fellow man
And on the flat screen
We kill and we're killed again
And when the night falls
I pray for peace
Try to remember peace (visualize)

I join the multitudes
I raise my hand in Peace
I never bow to the laws of the thought police

I take a holy vow
To never kill again
To never kill again

I'm living with war in my heart
I'm living with war in my heart and my mind

Don't take no tidal wave
Don't take no mass grave
Don't take no smokin gun
To show how the west was won

But when the curtain falls
I pray for peace
Try to remember peace (visualize)

In the crowded streets
In the big Hotels
In the mosques and the doors of the old museum

I take a holy vow
To never kill again
Try to remember peace

The rocket's red glare
Bombs bursting in air
Give proof through the night
That our flag is still there

I'm living with war everyday
I'm living with war in my heart everyday
15th April 2006 05:10 PM
Chuck April 15, 2006

Young bashes Bush with new song
By Darryl Sterdan

Last month at the South by Southwest Music Conference, we watched SXSW boss Roland Swenson ask Neil Young for a favour. Recalling the way Young's song Ohio -- written in the wake of the Kent State shootings -- galvanized the nation in the '70s and helped turn the tide of public sentiment against the Vietnam War, Swenson urged the famed songwriter to put in his two cents about the current administration and its current war. "Mr. Young," Swenson said, "we need another song."

Looks like he got his wish.

According to Internet reports, Young has just recorded a song called Impeach the President as part of a new, politically charged protest album due out shortly.

Apparently, the album was recorded in just a few days with a
100-voice choir, according to a California singer named Alicia Morgan who took part in the session.

"I'm not going to give the whole thing away, but the first line of one of the songs was 'Let's impeach the president for lyin!' " Morgan wrote on her online blog. "Turns out the whole thing is a classic, beautiful protest record. The session was like being at a 12-hour peace rally. Every time new lyrics would come up on the screen, there were cheers, tears and applause. It was a spiritual experience. I can't believe my good fortune at being a part of this.

"We finished the session by singing an a cappella version of America the Beautiful and there was not a dry eye in the house. Neil said it should be out in six to eight weeks."

Harp magazine also reported on its website this week that filmmaker Jonathan Demme -- who directed Young's recent concert movie Heart of Gold -- confirmed the story in an e-mail.

"Neil just finished writing and recording -- with no warning -- a new album called Living With the War," Demme told Harp. "It all happened in three days ... It is a brilliant electric assault, accompanied by a 100-voice choir, on Bush and the war in Iraq ... Truly mind-blowing. Will be in stores soon."

After listening to Young speak at SXSW, we're not surprised. During his keynote interview, the former Winnipegger confessed he had been hearing giant, noisy guitars in his head lately, and that his next album was likely to be a rock record. And he explained that when inspiration hits, he clears the decks and drops whatever he's doing to capture the sound and the mood before it vanishes, comparing his muse to an animal he's trying to coax out of a hole.

Somewhere, we suspect Roland Swenson is smiling. And if recent rumours that Young will finally return to Winnipeg this summer on a CSNY reunion tour pan out, plenty of Winnipeggers will be smiling too.

George Bush? Not so much.

============================

Young raps on Bush and the damage done
Apr. 15, 2006.
01:00 AM
NICOLAAS VAN RIJN
TORONTO STAR STAFF REPORTER

It's safe to say one certain song on Canadian rocker Neil Young's latest album isn't going to make George W. Bush's playlist anytime soon.

In fact, the U.S. president may just blow off the entire album, which, word has it, will be called Living With War and is expected in stores soon.

So far the album and its featured track â?? "Let's Impeach the President" â?? have been shrouded in secrecy.

Except for one thing: The song includes a rap with Bush's voice set to a lush 100-voice choir, and words like "flip-flop" are heard frequently, according to Harp Magazine.

Filmmaker Jonathan Demme, who made the award-winning documentary Neil Young: Heart of Gold, told a friend in a recent email that all the work is done.

"Neil just finished writing and recording â?? with no warning â?? a new album called Living With War," Demme said in the email, quoted online by Harp."It all happened in three days."

Young, the son of the late Toronto journalist Scott Young, is no stranger to protest rock, and has long been active in Farm Aid, which seeks to publicize the plight of farmers.

Young bashes Bush on protest album

Canadian singer-songwriter Neil Young and a 100-strong choir have recorded an album of protest songs against the Iraq war, with one track calling for the impeachment of American President George Bush.

Young began work on the album after South By Southwest Festival organiser Roland Swenson called on him to return to his anti-war campaigning. Young helped to rally opinion against the Vietnam war in the 1970s with songs such as 'Ohio'.

Young and a 100-strong choir recorded the album, titled 'Living With The War', in just three days.

Singer Alicia Morgan took part in the recording sessions and wrote on her website: "I'm not going to give the whole thing away, but the first line of one of the songs was, 'Let's impeach the president for lyin!'

"Turns out the whole thing is a classic, beautiful protest record. The session was like being at a 12-hour peace rally. Every time new lyrics would come up on the screen, there were cheers, tears and applause. It was a spiritual experience."

Director Jonathan Demme, who has filmed Young in concert, confirmed that the record will be released soon.

Demme said: "Neil just finished writing and recording - with no warning - a new album called 'Living With The War'. It all happened in three days.

"It is a brilliant electric assault, accompanied by a 100-voice choir, on Bush and the war in Iraq. Truly mind-blowing. Will be in stores soon."

Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)