ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Celebrating "Superblow" Number 12!!
Ahmet Ertegun tribute, NYC, April 17, 2007
© Kevin Mazur thanks moy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: ANY REAL FAN MUST READ THIS Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
11th April 2007 02:57 PM
jb
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
These Taylor Wood debates will go on forever...I saw both live Taylor era 6 times...Woody over 40 and counting.If I review my top 10 Stones Show list....theres about 7 Ronnies and 3 Taylors...so very close.Taylor much teh superior technician..but Woodie is a Stone...there is a difference and thats why MT quit.....

I prefer musicianship over image. Ronnie is by far a more compatible Stone, but if you want the best player, Taylor wins hands down...MT never had to wave at the crowd or eat a bannana between songs.
11th April 2007 03:00 PM
winter
quote:
jb wrote:

I prefer musicianship over image. Ronnie is by far a more compatible Stone, but if you want the best player, Taylor wins hands down...MT never had to wave at the crowd or eat a bannana between songs.

Taylor does not eat bananas, only Big Macs, Fries and Pizza,
11th April 2007 03:02 PM
jb
quote:
winter wrote:

Taylor does not eat bananas, only Big Macs, Fries and Pizza,

This is a cheap attack upon a great man..Yes, taylor has a weight problem, along with many other problems I imagine...but he still plays like a motherfucker, and can run circles(300lbs and all) around RW and KR!!!
11th April 2007 03:05 PM
winter
quote:
jb wrote:

This is a cheap attack upon a great man..Yes, taylor has a weight problem, along with many other problems I imagine...but he still plays like a motherfucker, and can run circles(300lbs and all) around RW and KR!!!

Poor judgment being his biggest problem . . .
11th April 2007 03:08 PM
jb
quote:
winter wrote:

Poor judgment being his biggest problem . . .

Put yourself in his shoes..it must have been a very intimidating situation, as look at what MJ/KR have done to Woody...the guy was still a kid and made a bad choice...does not negate what he contributed...the dude played at Altamont, and is every bit a part of the folklore as RW ever was..
11th April 2007 03:08 PM
gimmekeef Ronnie eats a banana instead of guzzling a Jack and coke....I for one am glad he does....
11th April 2007 03:09 PM
jb
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Ronnie eats a banana instead of guzzling a Jack and coke....I for one am glad he does....

It is ridiculous....can you imagine any of them doing that shit in their prime? A fucking bananna???
11th April 2007 03:12 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
jb wrote:

It is ridiculous....can you imagine any of them doing that shit in their prime? A fucking bananna???

jb..no more ridiculous than us debating it......lol
11th April 2007 03:12 PM
jb
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

jb..no more ridiculous than us debating it......lol

That's why we come here...
11th April 2007 03:13 PM
winter
quote:
jb wrote:

Put yourself in his shoes..it must have been a very intimidating situation, as look at what MJ/KR have done to Woody...the guy was still a kid and made a bad choice...does not negate what he contributed...the dude played at Altamont, and is every bit a part of the folklore as RW ever was..

Anyone who quits a job that has part of its description "playing guitar in a band with Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman" is a freakin' idiot IMHO.

MT makes Ricky William's decision making process appear rational.

winter
11th April 2007 03:20 PM
jb
quote:
winter wrote:

Anyone who quits a job that has part of its description "playing guitar in a band with Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman" is a freakin' idiot IMHO.

MT makes Ricky William's decision making process appear rational.

winter

dudes are old.
11th April 2007 03:26 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
jb wrote:

dudes are old.

Dolphins?...........
11th April 2007 03:45 PM
Poplar
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Mick Taylor had 4 good years in The Stones and that's that. Those 4 years, IMO, do NOT equal the fantastic career that Mr Woody Woodbreaker has had.

here here.
11th April 2007 03:48 PM
jb
quote:
Poplar wrote:

here here.

Fuck woody and his shity playing.....the man is at beast average, and has added in the words of Charlie Watts nothing musically....even MJ said MT was their best musicianship....Ronnie is a fucking ass-clown who took KR down with him as well....they have had one classic album in his tenure, "Some Girls"....I'm sick of this revisionist history that fails to recognize MT...........
11th April 2007 04:33 PM
pdog Has anyone ever put a Banana in your Big Mac?
I used this line for years to get laid...
God bless Wood and Taylor!
11th April 2007 04:47 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
What I don't understand is the sense that Mick T is greatly undervalued by many Stones hardcore fans.

No, he's not - but I DO think that if anything his contribution is actually over-valued by many fans. There's no use being a brilliant guitar player if the songs arent there to begin with. That's why people will talk about Jimi Hendrix for years instead of the likes of Steve Vai.

quote:
Can you honestly think of a better player, at a better time, to have come along after the sad demise of BJ?

No, but the fact that he's technically the most gifted guitarist the band ever had isnt the argument

quote:
Taylor made them a hard-rocking band..

They already were one. And the Stones are primarily a rhythm dominated band, not a lead guitar dominated one. And the reason for that is down to Keith, whose style defines the unique (much imitated, but never matched) sound that is the band's trademark.

quote:
.he played with agility and speed, and the concerts were simply unmatched as far as musicianship in Stones history.,..why no respect for Mick T???

There's plenty but youre being dismissive to the entire band who were ALL on top of their game at all levels at that time.
11th April 2007 07:23 PM
Sir Stonesalot >the man is at best average<

Oh bullshit. Woody was a top notch guitar player. Still is when he decides to actually play. Perhaps he doesn't have the same technical precision as Taylor, but he played with soul, and he always added something to the songs he played on. If you can listen to "A Nod's As Good As A Wink...To A Blind Horse" or "I've Got My Own Album To Do" or even fuckin' Some Girls, and say that Woody's guitar playing is "at best average"....then I gotta question if you have any clue as to what you are talking about when it comes to guitar playing.

Because the guitars on those albums....is anything but average.

Do not confuse technical ability with guitar playing. As Gazza mentioned before, Steve Vai and his ilk are technically gifted...but I think they suck. There is more to guitar playing than technical ability. You gotta have soul baby. And Woody has always had that in spades.

All that being said...since I seem to be one of the one's being singled out for not paying MT his due...why are you not giving Ron Wood HIS proper respect? There would not even BE a Rolling Stones anymore if Woody hadn't played peacemaker and held things together in the early 80's. Yeah, Taylor can ring his sustain a little better...but there is no way you can get me to believe that he could have played peacemaker and held the band together like Woody. Taylor just doesn't have that kind of personality.

Obviously YOU, JB, are not giving Woody HIS due as a guitar player. I, for one, would take Woody over Taylor every time. Not for his technical ability...but for the kind of bandmate that he has repeatedly shown himself to be. Woody would never leave a band on the eve of recording a new album. In fact, he was questioned about taking Brian's spot...but turned it down cold because he had already committed to The Faces. That is loyalty, and IMO, that is more important than playing flawless blues scales.

So quit yer pansy-assed whining about Mick Taylor. We all love what the guy did for the band. But that was 30+ years ago. Ancient history. What have ya done for me lately?

I love all of the Stones guitar players, and I love each of their respective eras. They each had their strong points, and brought something unique to the band. I don't see the need to champion any of them over any of the others. They all played lead for The Stones...so that makes them each great. What more do you need?

And just for the record...if I had to pick an "era" that is my fave...I would say the Brian Jones era.
11th April 2007 07:53 PM
fireontheplatter not exactly life altering or a religeous experience....but still a good read.
i love this song.
thank you for posting that.

everybody say ow
11th April 2007 08:14 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

Fuck woody and his shity playing.....the man is at beast average, and has added in the words of Charlie Watts nothing musically....even MJ said MT was their best musicianship....Ronnie is a fucking ass-clown who took KR down with him as well....they have had one classic album in his tenure, "Some Girls"....I'm sick of this revisionist history that fails to recognize MT...........

Many do not realize that while Woody is a fantastic Stone....he takes nights, and sometimes tours (see: B2B and/or No Security) off. Some believe he should have chosen Plantains to Banannas, but personally, I beleive Ronnie is intimidated by the legacy of Mick T and the large shoes that are impossible to fill (Mick T has a very wide foot)
11th April 2007 09:32 PM
Sir Stonesalot **blank friggin' stare**

Did you have to go to college to learn how to be that stupid?

11th April 2007 09:49 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
not exactly life altering or a religeous experience....but still a good read.
i love this song.
thank you for posting that.

everybody say ow

Yeah, quotes cribbed from several other sources, some more than 10 years old. Not a revelation, but a good excuse to crank up the song.
11th April 2007 09:52 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Yeah, quotes cribbed from several other sources, some more than 10 years old. Not a revelation, but a good excuse to crank up the song.

exactly.
11th April 2007 09:58 PM
Poplar I'd be the first to admit Ronnie's shortcomings. I'd also be the first to say MT was the "best" technical guitarist the band ever had.

that said - Ronnie is just as good a stone.
11th April 2007 10:00 PM
andrews27 If MT hadn't left, they'd have found some reason to throw him out. He was never a lad, KR was jealous, and MJ was looking at RW as Next Girlfriend material for some time, based on Woody's fierce playing with Faces. I prefer MT for the Stones - he gave them a new lyricism that they almost lost with multi-instrumental BJ. But anybody who hates Woody should live with those Faces records a while, and also Rod's solo albums while in Faces - Woody's plenty lyrical there. MT changed the Stones, but the Stones changed Woody. Living under the threat of a sudden Keith coldcock can do that, slowly, over a couple decades. (And could MT endure at least two recorded Keityh coldcocks - one onstage - like Ronnie?)
[Edited by andrews27]
[Edited by andrews27]
[Edited by andrews27]
[Edited by andrews27]
11th April 2007 10:05 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
andrews27 wrote:
If MT hadn't left, they'd have found some reason to throw him out. He was never a lad, KR was jealous, and MJ was looking at RW as Next Girlfriend material for some time, based on Woody's fierce playing with Faces. I tend to prefer MT for the Stones, but anybody who hates Woody should live with the Faces records a while. MT changed the Stones, but the Stones changed Woody. Living under the threat of a sudden Keith coldcock can do that, slowly, over a couple decades. (And could MT endure at least two recorded Keityh coldcocks - one onstage - like Ronnie?)
[Edited by andrews27]
[Edited by andrews27]
[Edited by andrews27]

how can you edit 5 lines 3 times?
11th April 2007 10:07 PM
andrews27
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

how can you edit 5 lines 3 times?

Four. Because I prize accuracy, and I'm flipping channels between this and actual work on the computer for money, so it makes infuriating people like yourself a delicate and refined art.
[Edited by andrews27]
11th April 2007 10:08 PM
Mel Belli Keith and Ronnie have a relationship that's kind of like Bruce and Van Zandt. They're pals -- and, in the latter pair's case, Bruce happily overlooks the fact that Van Zandt is not a great guitar player. (Though it doesn't hurt to have Nils Lofgren around.) That's just as important as -- maybe more important than -- technical proficiency.
11th April 2007 10:10 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Keith and Ronnie have a relationship that's kind of like Bruce and Van Zandt. They're pals -- and, in the latter pair's case, Bruce happily overlooks the fact that Van Zandt is not a great guitar player. (Though it doesn't hurt to have Nils Lofgren around.) That's just as important as -- maybe more important than -- technical proficiency.

Playing self-devil's advocate, this deal doesn't make as much sense in the event of utter incompetence.
12th April 2007 12:11 AM
andrews27 I just remembered the night in a bar when my friend asked whether Some Girls could have been made with Mick Taylor. I said, "You know, I could listen to MT play that wah-wah pedal all day and night - but maybe not in 1978." I don't know how MT would have responded to punk rock as a Stone. You can spin a theory that BJ "had to go," and you can spin a theory that MT "had to go." Both departures marked big stylistic *changes on the part of the songwriters, not on the part of the departing or entering guitarists.* Word.
[Edited by andrews27]
12th April 2007 12:20 AM
glencar
quote:
jb wrote:

No, it's the truth. I saw the guy walking down 42nd Street carries 2 overstuffed McD's bags. He was by himself & he was hungry. Game over!
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)