ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Celebrating "Superblow" Number 12!!
Ahmet Ertegun tribute, NYC, April 17, 2007
© Kevin Mazur thanks moy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: ANY REAL FAN MUST READ THIS Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
12th April 2007 01:53 PM
deuce ABB...

A few decent generic rockers (Rough Justice, Oh No Not You Again), a nice soulful ballad (Laugh, I Nearly Died) and a decent blues throwback (Back Of My Hand) = Swing and a miss
12th April 2007 02:00 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

...Mick Taylor does one thing well. And he does it REALLY well....as well as anyone has ever done it, IMO. Woody does a whole bunch of different things, and he does them pretty good. I'd say the only thing he's really great at is slide. He has a very deft touch with the slide. But Woody brings variety to the table. He can do a lot of different thing pretty well. It allowed the Stones to expand their horizons, do things like Hey Nagrita and Miss yYu and Dance Pt 1 and funky things like that. Those songs would not have been viable with Taylor in the band...

Exactly. Woody's one of those guys who can pick up virtually any musical instrument and play it. Mick Taylor is a great lead player - no question about it. But Woody can play everything from lead guitar to sax and a whole bunch of things in between. I've seen him do some absolutely jaw-dropping leads. It looked like he was playing rhythm AND lead at the 2006 September-November shows. They would have been screwed if it weren't for Woody last year. I agree that Mick Taylor is technically a better lead player, but Woody does indeed bring a lot more to the table.

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
12th April 2007 02:09 PM
voodoopug
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

Exactly. Woody's one of those guys who can pick up virtually any musical instrument and play it. Mick Taylor is a great lead player - no question about it. But Woody can play everything from lead guitar to sax and a whole bunch of things in between. I've seen him do some absolutely jaw-dropping leads. It looked like he was playing rhythm AND lead at the 2006 September-November shows. They would have been screwed if it weren't for Woody last year. I agree that Mick Taylor is technically a better lead player, but Woody does indeed bring a lot more to the table.

[Edited by GotToRollMe]

Woody took far too many "nights off" and sometimes "tours off" (See: B2B and No Security and first leg of 2005 ABB)
12th April 2007 02:22 PM
jb The ironic thing is that it appears Keith is shot, and RW is actually playing fairly well again.
12th April 2007 02:34 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:
The ironic thing is that it appears Keith is shot, and RW is actually playing fairly well again.

One can only assume that Mick and Charlie sat down with him and explained that their fiscal futures depend on him.
12th April 2007 02:37 PM
jb Lord Alfred Hayes would be proud!!!
12th April 2007 02:41 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:
Lord Alfred Hayes would be proud!!!

12th April 2007 03:05 PM
speedfreakjive reckon Wood gels better with Keith and when on form is jaw-droppingly good - but overall MT is a better player
12th April 2007 03:08 PM
jb
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
reckon Wood gels better with Keith and when on form is jaw-droppingly good - but overall MT is a better player

I think many here are simply too young to remember the Stones before Wood. Remember,most here don't even know who brian Jones or Ian Stewart are!!!
12th April 2007 03:12 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
jb wrote:

I think many here are simply too young to remember the Stones before Wood. Remember,most here don't even know who brian Jones or Ian Stewart are!!!

really? surely not
12th April 2007 03:14 PM
jb
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

really? surely not

You're dealing with young people who bascially grew up in the 80's and are devoid of any historical knowledge of the band...
12th April 2007 03:15 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
jb wrote:

You're dealing with young people who bascially grew up in the 80's and are devoid of any historical knowledge of the band...

true, just in it for SMU, Brown Sugar and Satisfaction
12th April 2007 04:50 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:

what - on this board? Like who?
12th April 2007 04:53 PM
deuce Ronnie is a better guitarist than Keith
12th April 2007 04:54 PM
mrhipfl To me, the best thing about the Rolling Stones is their incredible grooves. They're the grooviest band out there. It's not the blazing solos or the perfect vibratos that make the stones great, it's the way the guitars drums bass and vocals all work together to pull the listener into a hypnotizing, feel-good, rock n' roll groove. Ronnie has always been perfect for that, especially the way he can (or could, anyways) weave around with Keith. With Taylor, the guitars were always very separate. Keith played rhythm, Taylor played lead. It took away a lot from the groove.
12th April 2007 05:14 PM
deuce Exactly. The Stones aren't known for amazing musicianship. That's not saying they can't play - it's just that they rely more on grooves. The thing about the Stones is the chemistry. They just work well together. Everything sounds like it could fall apart any moment, but somehow it all sticks together. That's part of the appeal.

And I'd like to say one more thing about Keith. Don't be fooled by the image. Obviously, Keith doesn't suck...but he's the weakest guitarist the band has ever had. I realize some of you will instantly want to flame me because of that comment, but it's true.
12th April 2007 05:50 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
deuce wrote:
And I'd like to say one more thing about Keith. Don't be fooled by the image. Obviously, Keith doesn't suck...but he's the weakest guitarist the band has ever had. I realize some of you will instantly want to flame me because of that comment, but it's true.

I completely disagree. Keith in his prime is the BEST guitarist the stones have ever had. His style stands out the most, and has written some of the most original and unique riffs in rock n roll. Insane rhythm and insane lead.
12th April 2007 06:03 PM
voodoopug
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:

I completely disagree. Keith in his prime is the BEST guitarist the stones have ever had. His style stands out the most, and has written some of the most original and unique riffs in rock n roll. Insane rhythm and insane lead.

Please remember, Songwriting and technical ability are two completely different things.
12th April 2007 06:10 PM
pdog
quote:
jb wrote:

If you can remember the 80's, you didn't sniff enough aqua velvet super hold hair spray... Man...

[Edited by pdog]
12th April 2007 06:19 PM
muncy23
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

Please remember, Songwriting and technical ability are two completely different things.

Keith is in fact he best they ever had, and still is. Many fail to understand this. From a muscian's standpoint, i can tell you that the role Keith plays in a band takes talent. It takes more talent than Mick Taylor ever had. Mick simply played along to Keiths riffs. That takes far less skill than leading the whole band, including the drummer, thru the song. So in that sense, it would qualify him as the best
12th April 2007 06:19 PM
Sir Stonesalot Dude...Aqua Velva was aftershave. Aqua NET was the hairspray.
12th April 2007 06:21 PM
pdog
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Dude...Aqua Velva was aftershave. Aqua NET was the hairspray.

I knew I was sniffing the wrong shit...

BUT!!!
No nappy headed ho am I...
[Edited by pdog]
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)