ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Celebrating "Superblow" Number 12!!
Ahmet Ertegun tribute, NYC, April 17, 2007
© Kevin Mazur thanks moy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: ANY REAL FAN MUST READ THIS Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
11th April 2007 11:11 AM
messma03 Gotta see this, really opened my eyes:

http://www.blender.com/guide/articles.aspx?id=823&src=mtm69
11th April 2007 11:16 AM
jb Thanks...again, Mick Taylor's greatness shines through.
11th April 2007 11:26 AM
voodoopug Thanks for posting, that is an excellent read. This is especially good for us younger fans who did not have the privilege of growing up listening to the Taylor Era Stones as it happened.

We should all be thankful that Mr. Taylor gave us a few good years. Sadly, his decision to leave the band lead to personal destruction and virtual obscurity for the man many, myself included, consider to be the greatest guitar play of the modern era.
11th April 2007 11:29 AM
jb
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
Thanks for posting, that is an excellent read. This is especially good for us younger fans who did not have the privilege of growing up listening to the Taylor Era Stones as it happened.

We should all be thankful that Mr. Taylor gave us a few good years. Sadly, his decision to leave the band lead to personal destruction and virtual obscurity for the man many, myself included, consider to be the greatest guitar play of the modern era.

Mostly newbies who think Ronnie is better...no true fan would ever compare MT's contributions to RW. RW is a funny, decent man, but no way can we ever discuss him in the same light as the great MT.
11th April 2007 11:41 AM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

Mostly newbies who think Ronnie is better...no true fan would ever compare MT's contributions to RW. RW is a funny, decent man, but no way can we ever discuss him in the same light as the great MT.

Few can wave as well as Ronnie. When Ronnie is on, he is very good....I have not heard Mick Taylor have an off night while with the stones and that in itself puts him in a different class. The large difference in overall talent more than makes up for the stage presence provided by the Rock and Roll Rooster.

While it is perfectly acceptable to enjoy Ronnie's contribution to the band, anyone who ranks him higher than Little Mick needs to question their status as a "true fan"
11th April 2007 11:43 AM
jb Agreed...RW has been applauded for cleaning up his act and playing sober the past tour; Mick Taylor, in his early 20's. and dominated by the jealous MJ/KR, still managed to play the greatest notes in history.....
11th April 2007 11:47 AM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:
Agreed...RW has been applauded for cleaning up his act and playing sober the past tour; Mick Taylor, in his early 20's. and dominated by the jealous MJ/KR, still managed to play the greatest notes in history.....

Few will forget the time he played with Jimi Hendrix under that ridiculous wig.
11th April 2007 12:20 PM
Sir Stonesalot That article is several years old....

I will not argue that Lil' Mick Quitter was The Stones best lead guitar player.

But Ron Wood has BY FAR had the better career. The Birds, The Jeff Beck Group, THE FACES, The Stones, as well as several very good solo efforts...and a couple of GREAT solo efforts, not to mention the scores of albums that Woody has guested on. All this adds up to one of the most spectacular careers that a guitar man could ever have. Not only that...but he was pretty damn good in every band he's ever been in.

Mick Taylor had 4 good years in The Stones and that's that. Those 4 years, IMO, do NOT equal the fantastic career that Mr Woody Woodbreaker has had.

I don't care if you like it or not, if you want to face reality or not, but Ron Wood casts a shadow that even the bloated belly of Mick Taylor can't escape. If you care to be even a tiny bit objective, you will see the truth in the following statement: Ron Wood is a Rock n Roll icon. Mick Taylor is not.
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
11th April 2007 12:23 PM
jb
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
That article is several years old....

I will not argue that Lil' Mick Quitter was The Stones best lead guitar player.

But Ron Wood has BY FAR had the better career. The Birds, The Jeff Beck Group, THE FACES, The Stones, as well as several very good solo efforts...and a couple of GREAT solo efforts, not to mention the scores of albums that Woody has guested on. All this adds up to one of the most spectacular careers that a guitar man could ever have. Not only that...but he was pretty damn good in every band he's ever been in.

Mick Taylor had 4 good years in The Stones and that's that. Those 4 years, IMO, do NOT equal the fantastic career that Mr Woody Woodbreaker has had.

I don't care if you like it or not, if you want to face reality or not, but Ron Wood casts a shadow that even the bloated belly of Mick Taylor can escape. If you care to be even a tiny bit objective, you will see the truth in the following statement: Ron Wood is a Rock n Roll icon. Mick Taylor is not.

I am surprised to see a man with your musical credentials put RW ahead of MT!!! Only 4 years, but what a 4 years it was...I thank you for the very boots which helped formulate my opinion..
11th April 2007 01:30 PM
LastChild
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Ron Wood is a Rock n Roll icon. Mick Taylor is not.

that statement alone sums it all up.
11th April 2007 01:32 PM
jb
quote:
LastChild wrote:

that statement alone sums it all up.

and what is Mick Taylor? The man is a legend who played on the most influential albums in rock history!!! Ronnie certainly has had the better career, but MT was arguably the best ever at what he did for a short period of time..
11th April 2007 02:00 PM
Sir Stonesalot Mick Taylor is not a legend. He is to us...but not to the vast majority of Rock n Roll fans. JB...you are missing the forest because all the trees are blocking your view.

Mick Taylor, to everyone outside the hardcore Stones community, is nothing more than a footnote. And that is all he will ever be.

Also, please note, never once in my earlier post did I say that Ron Wood was a better guitar player than Mick Taylor. In fact, if you read my opening statement closely, you will see that I agree that Lil Mick Quitter was the Stones best lead guitar player. But that is all Taylor was...a lead guitar player. Ron Wood is more than just a lead guitar player, much more. And that was my point. Ron Wood has had, BY FAR, the better CAREER. Career/Guitar Player...two different things dude.

11th April 2007 02:03 PM
jb
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Mick Taylor is not a legend. He is to us...but not to the vast majority of Rock n Roll fans. JB...you are missing the forest because all the trees are blocking your view.

Mick Taylor, to everyone outside the hardcore Stones community, is nothing more than a footnote. And that is all he will ever be.

Also, please note, never once in my earlier post did I say that Ron Wood was a better guitar player than Mick Taylor. In fact, if you read my opening statement closely, you will see that I agree that Lil Mick Quitter was the Stones best lead guitar player. But that is all Taylor was...a lead guitar player. Ron Wood is more than just a lead guitar player, much more. And that was my point. Ron Wood has had, BY FAR, the better CAREER. Career/Guitar Player...two different things dude.

Understood....and it is certainly the worlds's loss. Mick T , in those short years, created someof the most memorable leads ever recorded.
11th April 2007 02:07 PM
pdog I am not a real fan... In fact, I don't exist at all.
11th April 2007 02:07 PM
jb
quote:
pdog wrote:
I am not a real fan... In fact, I don't exist at all.

I met you, so you do exist.
11th April 2007 02:14 PM
pdog
quote:
jb wrote:

I met you, so you do exist.

You met an aliase, created by Starbuck...
Fucking humiliating!
11th April 2007 02:14 PM
jb
quote:
pdog wrote:

You met an aliase, created by Starbuck...
Fucking humiliating!

Soy el hombre más grande vivo.
11th April 2007 02:17 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:

and what is Mick Taylor? The man is a legend who played on the most influential albums in rock history!!! Ronnie certainly has had the better career, but MT was arguably the best ever at what he did for a short period of time..

he may have played on them - and brilliantly - but Mick and Keith wrote them. THAT is where the real credit should be given.

The main reason why the Stones were so great in that period was because Mick and Keith were at their creative peak and because they had a great producer in Jimmy Miller who brought out the best in them.

Of the four universally regarded classic albums from 1968-72, Taylor is only really a constant on the last two and there was a decline from GHS onwards when Miller was burnt out and on IORR when Mick & Keith started producing by themselves. Both good enough albums and both featuring Taylor, but the standards had dipped slightly before he chose to quit. The Stones golden era started with 'Jumpin Jack Flash' - when Jones was still in the band, and which was the first record released with Miller as producer.

Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile would still have been great albums without Taylor- just a bit different.
[Edited by Gazza]
11th April 2007 02:21 PM
jb What I don't understand is the sense that Mick T is greatly undervalued by many Stones hardcore fans. Can you honestly think of a better player, at a better time, to have come along after the sad demise of BJ? Taylor made them a hard-rocking band...he played with agility and speed, and the concerts were simply unmatched as far as musicianship in Stones history.,..why no respect for Mick T???
11th April 2007 02:22 PM
winter I know I am going to take a load of shit for this comment, and I love the big 4, BUT lately I have been digging Some Girls, Emotional Rescue (yes Emotional Rescue) and Tattoo You almost as much. Completely different sound / style / groove for the Stones, but to me, another "Golden Period".

wintah
11th April 2007 02:23 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
But Ron Wood has BY FAR had the better career. The Birds, The Jeff Beck Group, THE FACES, The Stones, as well as several very good solo efforts...and a couple of GREAT solo efforts

I was record shopping last night and I finally found a Japanese import cd of Ronnie's "1-2-3-4" album.
I have the vinyl but never thought I'd find a cd copy
11th April 2007 02:24 PM
jb
quote:
winter wrote:
I know I am going to take a load of shit for this comment, and I love the big 4, BUT lately I have been digging Some Girls, Emotional Rescue (yes Emotional Rescue) and Tattoo You almost as much. Completely different sound / style / groove for the Stones, but to me, another "Golden Period".

wintah

Boston es muy frío.
11th April 2007 02:25 PM
pdog
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

I was record shopping last night and I finally found a Japanese import cd of Ronnie's "1-2-3-4" album.
I have the vinyl but never thought I'd find a cd copy

I found a promo copy of the Mooney Suzukis next album...
11th April 2007 02:28 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
pdog wrote:

I found a promo copy of the Mooney Suzukis next album...

they've got some on their myspace. Smokin!!

have you seen them live? R-A-W-K!!
11th April 2007 02:29 PM
pdog
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

they've got some on their myspace. Smokin!!

have you seen them live? R-A-W-K!!

Nope, but I'm seeing Stooges next week! Who needs to save money on car insurance?
11th April 2007 02:36 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
pdog wrote:

Nope, but I'm seeing Stooges next week! Who needs to save money on car insurance?

go see them: FUN.

11th April 2007 02:46 PM
pdog
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

go see them: FUN.

This album is really mellow, nothing like the last one... I like it... I wonder if what i've got will be the official release, or if they are reworking it... It was pushed back 6 mos.
11th April 2007 02:50 PM
Saint Sway is 99% on it? That one sounds like a hit to me.

ya know, if it was 1974
11th April 2007 02:50 PM
winter
quote:
jb wrote:

Boston es muy frío.

Yup, snow tomorrow . . .
11th April 2007 02:54 PM
gimmekeef These Taylor Wood debates will go on forever...I saw both live Taylor era 6 times...Woody over 40 and counting.If I review my top 10 Stones Show list....theres about 7 Ronnies and 3 Taylors...so very close.Taylor much teh superior technician..but Woodie is a Stone...there is a difference and thats why MT quit.....
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)