ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

VIDEO HEADER: Jumping Jack Flask in Mexico City - February 26, 2006
Testing - this is a beta version ;)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: REVISITING THE PAST 4 RECORDS Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
28th March 2006 03:48 PM
jb The video for ME's was about as lame asit gets..a bunch off old geezers playing pool!!! My god that was humiliating...and Mick's fucking haircut!!!
28th March 2006 03:50 PM
Break The Spell Most videos are lame, so that don't bother me. Mixed Emotions is a great song though, their last really big hit in the US, it hit #5 in 1989.
28th March 2006 03:51 PM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

I've never owned a Mick Jagger solo album in my life

That's too bad, Wandering Spirit kicks Voodoo Lounge's ass.
28th March 2006 03:53 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

I've always felt this way, imagine if you take the best material off WS, combine it with the three best tracks off Keith's Main Offender, you'd have a damn fine Stones album circa 1992!!
28th March 2006 03:59 PM
Jaxx
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

I've always felt this way, imagine if you take the best material off WS, combine it with the three best tracks off Keith's Main Offender, you'd have a damn fine Stones album circa 1992!!

which just proves the point---the "parts" are never as great as "the whole"
28th March 2006 04:01 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Jaxx wrote:

which just proves the point---the "parts" are never as great as "the whole"

Exactly, when they work on new albums, I wish they could realize their each other's greatest asset.
28th March 2006 04:01 PM
jb Rarities has sold 154k USA.......................
28th March 2006 04:02 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
jb wrote:
Rarities has sold 154k USA.......................

How many copies did Metamorphisis sell?? Just curious if Rarities sold better than that.
28th March 2006 04:03 PM
Jaxx
quote:
jb wrote:
Rarities has sold 154k USA.......................

should be entitled "Rarities". LMAO. i have some boots with true rarities on them.
28th March 2006 04:08 PM
jb
quote:
Jaxx wrote:

should be entitled "Rarities". LMAO. i have some boots with true rarities on them.

Agreed...............as far as metamorphasis, I need Soldatti....but I am cetain more than Rarities.
28th March 2006 04:13 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

Agreed...............as far as metamorphasis, I need Soldatti....but I am cetain more than Rarities.

can we count 1970's vinyl sales numbers as well (I have an original copy of this album!)
28th March 2006 04:14 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

can we count 1970's vinyl sales numbers as well (I have an original copy of this album!)

Of course, I was wondering all sales 1975-present of the album. The SACD version is rather nice. Favorites include "I'm Going Down" and "Downtown Suzie".
[Edited by Break The Spell]
28th March 2006 04:22 PM
Gazza
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
THE FOUR RECORDS FOLLOWING WWIII HAVE BEEN REVISITED IN THEIR ENTIRETY BY PERKS

THEY RANK IN THE FOLLOWING ORDER
1- VOODOO LOUNGE(1994)
THIS RECORD WOULD BE AN ABSOLUTE MASTERPIECE IF NOT FOR 2 ISSUES.FIRST,BABY BREAK IT DOWN SUCKS AND SHOULD HAVE REPLACED WITH THE STORM..THE OTHER IS THE LINE "SHARKS WILL CRY"..OTHER THAN THAT IT A GREAT LISTEN AND ONE OF THEIR BEST RECORDS.

GEMS-YGMR,NEW FACES,OUT OF TEARS,MEAN DISPOSITION

agreed on "Sharks will cry". baby break it down is a decent enough track. Suck on the Jugular is an abomination, though. And I never liked Mean Disposition. A collection of 'good' songs for the most part, but few great ones. The b-sides were good but were specifically recorded towards the end of the session for THAT purpose. 'Honest Man' was worthy of inclusion on the album.
The best moment of the whole album is the bit half way into "Thru and Thru" where Keith slowly GROWLS the word 'open' ('we're OHHH-PEN 24 hours baby). And hearing LIS on the radio the first time was great. Harmonica on a Stones single again. Yes!!!

Best songs - the two Keith ones, Love is Strong, Out of tears

quote:
2-A BIGGER BANG (2006)
A LITTLE LONG,SHOULD HAVE OMITTED NEOCON,BOMH AND THE LYRICS TO LET ME DOWN SLOW AND ONNYA ARE ABYSMAL..OTHER THAN THAT IT'S GOT THE DIVERSITY OF STYLES PERKS ENJOYS SO MUCH AND ENOUGH ROCKERS TO KEEP HIM JUMPIN.ANOTHER RECORD LIKE IT WOULD BE BETTER THAN ANOTHER TOUR FOR ME.
GEMS- ROUGH JUSTICE, LAUGH, DANGEROUS BEAUTY, DRIVIN TOO FAST

Some of ONNYA's lyrics are possibly the worst on any Stones song ever. For a man in his 60's its toe-curling. However, unlike Sweet Neocon the music redeems it. SNC is horrid and infantile. The rest of the album is mostly good to very good and occasionally majestic (and lyrically quite good. Unlike you, I like the lyrics to LMDS. LIke some other songs, it shows a welcome maturity). Laugh I nearly Died is (with the exception of Continental Drift) the best song the Stones have released since Tattoo You. Dangerous Beauty is hilarious and contains the best riff on any Stones song since Start Me Up. So nasty it really DOES make you want to torture someone. A fine album, but one which shows that creatively the Stones in 2005 are the Mick Jagger Show, as Keith's writing contributions (despite what certain posters will insist to the contrary) are minimal.

best songs : Laugh I Nearly Died, Dangerous Beauty, Biggest Mistake, It Wont Take Long.

quote:
3-BRIDGES TO BABYLON (1997)
A GOOD RECORD,BUT TOO AMBITIOUS.THE DUST BROS. FUCKED UP 3 SONGS WITH GOOD POTENTIAL WHILE GUNFACE KICKS MAJOR ASS AS DOES TOO TIGHT.KEEF'S TUNES ARE ALL GOOD.
GEMS-TOO TIGHT,GUNFACE,HOW CAN I STOP,FLIP THE SWITCH

One of the most underrated albums of the Stones entire career. Dont care if Mick and Keith were on bad terms during it and it sounds like two solo albums merged. Despite the various production teams and extraneous musicians, it works. Not a weak song on it, although a couple (Already Over Me, Lowdown) are just OK. The best drum sound on any Stones album since Tattoo You and unlike any Stones album in decades it managed to produced a pair of songs (Saint of Me and especially out of Control) which were the absolute highlights of any show when performed live. Keith's two songs at the end are absolute snorters and Wachtel's coda at the end of Anybody Seen My Baby is the most beautiful piece of music on any Stones song in years.

best songs ; Flip The Switch, Anybody seen my baby (the second half of it), Out of Control, Thief In The Night.

quote:
4-STEEL WHEELS (1989)
MEDIOCRE RECORD THAT SOUNDED GREAT AT THE TIME..TOO RUSHED, ROCK AND A HARD PLACE IS REALLY LAME AS IS TERRIFYING..NOT BAD THOUGH TO ACCOMPANY THE TOUR.
GEMS-ALMOST HEAR YOU SIGH,CONTINENTAL DRIFT,HOLD ON TO YOUR HAT,SLIPPIN AWAY

weakest of the four, mostly because the sterile 80's production dates it badly. However, it contains 3 songs that would be in my top 5 of anything the band have done in the last two decades. However, it came out after a painful few years when we thought we'd never hear another Stones record again, so something to be thankful for. Magical moment : the way Keith sings the word 'soon' in the final verse of "Slipping Away". For those who think Keith cant sing, youre wrong.

best songs : Continental Drift (IMO one of the best 6-7 songs of their entire career), Almost Hear You Sigh, Slipping Away

My running order :

1. ABB
2. BTB (very very close for the top 2. Tomorrow I may feel different)
3. VL
4. SW

[Edited by Gazza]
28th March 2006 04:24 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

Not to my ears
28th March 2006 04:27 PM
Gazza
quote:
Jaxx wrote:

should be entitled "Sampler", baby!
28th March 2006 04:30 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:

should be entitled "Sampler", baby!

should be titled:

"Dreadful"
"Humiliating"
or
"Mannish Boy Live....again"
28th March 2006 06:35 PM
Saint Sway JBs U2/Aerosmith comment was spot on

there are only a few brief glimpses on these 4 albums that they were actually made by The Rolling Stones. The majority of rubbish on these piles of shit just sounds like Wandering Spirit (Parts II, III and IV)

Steel Wheels was the start of the 'Alzheimers Era" - which is when the Stones forgot who they were and what a real Stones album should sound like.
28th March 2006 06:35 PM
Mikey Gazza wrote: "Keith's two songs at the end are absolute snorters"

Gazza, is a "snorter" a good or bad thing?
28th March 2006 06:39 PM
theanchorman IMO -
Keith steals each album...

Slipping Away...Thru & Thru...Thief & Infamy.

B2B was the best...it had the least amount of deadwood on it - which is what hurt VL & BB imo
28th March 2006 06:52 PM
M.O.W.A.T. Lyrically speaking, Flip the Switch is worse than Sparks Will Fly.
28th March 2006 06:54 PM
Soldatti Steel Wheels (6)

A good record, but very dated. I hate the 80's sound, but some songs are really good stuff.
Best: Mixed Emotions, Almost Hear You Sigh, Slipping Away
Worst: Blinded by Love, Rock and a Hard Place

Voodoo Lounge (7)

A killer record, but it's too long and with a lot of filler on it. A 10-11 songs CD would get a 10 on my ranking.
Best: Love Is Strong, The Worst, Out Of Tears, I Go Wild
Worst: Sparks Will Fly, Sweethearts Together, Suck on the Jugular

Bridges To Babylon (5)

I'm not a fan of this album, some good songs and some bad experimentation. It sounds like 2 solo records in 1.
Best: Flip The Switch, Saint Of Me, Too Tight
Worst: ASMB, Might As Well Get Juice, Keith's 2 ballads

A Bigger Bang (7.5)

The best album since Tattoo You, a good number of great tracks and a solid collection of songs. Some filler too.
Best: First 3 songs, TPIE, Driving Too Fast
Worst: SOL, Sweet Neocon

28th March 2006 07:00 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

How many copies did Metamorphisis sell?? Just curious if Rarities sold better than that.

Just a comparison:
Metamorphosis US peak position: #8 (3 wks on top 10)
Rarities US peak position: #76

Metamorphosis didn't get a RIAA certification still, but the album has sold way more than 500k to date.
Back on 2002, it re-entered at #50 on Billboard's catalog chart and the SACD re-issue has sold more than 30,000 copies to date.
28th March 2006 07:13 PM
Jumping Jack 1. ABB
2. VL
3. SW
4. BTB (This tour was the weakest as well)
28th March 2006 08:02 PM
Gazza
quote:
Mikey wrote:
Gazza wrote: "Keith's two songs at the end are absolute snorters"

Gazza, is a "snorter" a good or bad thing?

LOL...good...after all I did list "Thief" as one of the highlights...HCIS is a gorgeous song too,
28th March 2006 08:11 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox
quote:
Gazza wrote:

For those who think Keith cant sing, youre wrong.

That's postin'!!
28th March 2006 08:16 PM
glencar Ugh, VL is a real downer in quality. My ratings?

1) ABB Highlights: What Gazza said...

2) BTB Highlights: Already Over Me, Saint Of Me, Might As Well Get Fucked Up.

3) SW Highlights: The last 4 songs. Love 'em all!

4) VL The last 2 songs. I actually really love Thru & Thru as much as anything Keith has ever done since You Got The Silver.

I'm not sure why having the boys work together is viewed as so important. Clearly Mick is 3 times as creative as Keith at this point. His input will invariably weigh more heavily. Even Keith would admit this. The market has changed over the past twenty years but if it was still 1986 ABB would have spawned several hit videos & singles.
28th March 2006 09:41 PM
Egbert 1. ABB
Good - RJ, LMDS, IWTL, SSMCuming, ONNYA, LIND
Bad - SOL, ripping off INXS for LWTCDI

Not bad for a bunch of geezers

2. B2B
Good - ASMB, GF, OOC (YES!), SOM, TITN, HCIS, Charlie's drums
Bad - the cover and booklet, dumb lyrics marring an otherwise great FTS

Stones doing what they do best: applying their formula to current music trends

3. SW
Good - ME, AHYS, SA (I think Slipping Away was their last truly great song)
Bad - HOTYH, BBL, cheesy 80's production

4. VL
Good - LIS (AKA Wicked As It Seems, Part II), YGMR, IGW, T&T
Bad - ugliest cover ever (looks like something you'd see from a fast food chain ad - voodoo fries anyone?), overall lack of energy, running time too long

[Edited by Egbert]

[Edited by Egbert]
28th March 2006 09:47 PM
ExileInLA
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
Voodoo Lounge is the best thing this band has done in almost 20 years

ABB is just too fuckin long and most of it sucks dick

They should have just released their 3-4 best songs as an EP sorta like they did with 40 Licks, so we'd all still think they still "have it"

AMEN!!!
29th March 2006 12:07 AM
Spru My order: ABB, VL a close second, BTB, SW

I think this period has some good, overlooked songs like Almost Hear You Sigh, I Go Wild, and Too Tight. The Keith songs are decent overall IMO. Also, even though the Forty Licks songs weren't from any of these albums, I think they rank up there as some of the best from the 89-present period. I really like Don't Stop and it worked very well live, highlighted by Ronnie's guitar cam.
[Edited by Spru]
29th March 2006 12:31 AM
PeerQueer BILL PERKS HAS BROUGHT REVELANCE BACK TO ROCKS OFF!

BY THE WAY, MOST OF THE KEITH TUNES ARE AWESOME - THEY HOLD UP THE BEST OVER TIME.

THANK YOU AGAIN BILL PERKS FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTION!
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)