ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

VIDEO HEADER: Jumping Jack Flask in Mexico City - February 26, 2006
Testing - this is a beta version ;)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: REVISITING THE PAST 4 RECORDS Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
28th March 2006 02:12 PM
BILL PERKS THE FOUR RECORDS FOLLOWING WWIII HAVE BEEN REVISITED IN THEIR ENTIRETY BY PERKS

THEY RANK IN THE FOLLOWING ORDER
1- VOODOO LOUNGE(1994)
THIS RECORD WOULD BE AN ABSOLUTE MASTERPIECE IF NOT FOR 2 ISSUES.FIRST,BABY BREAK IT DOWN SUCKS AND SHOULD HAVE REPLACED WITH THE STORM..THE OTHER IS THE LINE "SHARKS WILL CRY"..OTHER THAN THAT IT A GREAT LISTEN AND ONE OF THEIR BEST RECORDS.
GEMS-YGMR,NEW FACES,OUT OF TEARS,MEAN DISPOSITION
2-A BIGGER BANG (2006)
A LITTLE LONG,SHOULD HAVE OMITTED NEOCON,BOMH AND THE LYRICS TO LET ME DOWN SLOW AND ONNYA ARE ABYSMAL..OTHER THAN THAT IT'S GOT THE DIVERSITY OF STYLES PERKS ENJOYS SO MUCH AND ENOUGH ROCKERS TO KEEP HIM JUMPIN.ANOTHER RECORD LIKE IT WOULD BE BETTER THAN ANOTHER TOUR FOR ME.
GEMS- ROUGH JUSTICE, LAUGH, DANGEROUS BEAUTY, DRIVIN TOO FAST
3-BRIDGES TO BABYLON (1997)
A GOOD RECORD,BUT TOO AMBITIOUS.THE DUST BROS. FUCKED UP 3 SONGS WITH GOOD POTENTIAL WHILE GUNFACE KICKS MAJOR ASS AS DOES TOO TIGHT.KEEF'S TUNES ARE ALL GOOD.
GEMS-TOO TIGHT,GUNFACE,HOW CAN I STOP,FLIP THE SWITCH
4-STEEL WHEELS (1989)
MEDIOCRE RECORD THAT SOUNDED GREAT AT THE TIME..TOO RUSHED, ROCK AND A HARD PLACE IS REALLY LAME AS IS TERRIFYING..NOT BAD THOUGH TO ACCOMPANY THE TOUR.
GEMS-ALMOST HEAR YOU SIGH,CONTINENTAL DRIFT,HOLD ON TO YOUR HAT,SLIPPIN AWAY

DISCUSS
28th March 2006 02:13 PM
jb All 4 dreadful ..............VL only one worth tossing on ...
28th March 2006 02:18 PM
Bloozehound Voodoo Lounge is the best thing this band has done in almost 20 years

ABB is just too fuckin long and most of it sucks dick

They should have just released their 3-4 best songs as an EP sorta like they did with 40 Licks, so we'd all still think they still "have it"

28th March 2006 02:19 PM
Break The Spell 1. Steel Wheels (Especially the second half!!)
2. A Bigger Bang (I only dislike SOL and BM)
3. Bridges to Babylon (Good but uneven at times, OOC & SOM are amazing)
4. Voodoo Lounge (Some good songs, the best ones were b-sides and out-takes)
28th March 2006 02:24 PM
jb I thought AFTER SW's(a total old mans album) we would get a few more classics..VL was promising, but things went into the shitter after that............................>
28th March 2006 02:25 PM
pdog
28th March 2006 02:26 PM
nankerphelge 1- VOODOO LOUNGE(1994)
THIS RECORD WOULD BE AN ABSOLUTE MASTERPIECE IF NOT FOR 2 ISSUES.FIRST,BABY BREAK IT DOWN SUCKS AND SHOULD HAVE REPLACED WITH THE STORM..THE OTHER IS THE LINE "SHARKS WILL CRY"..OTHER THAN THAT IT A GREAT LISTEN AND ONE OF THEIR BEST RECORDS.
GEMS-YGMR,NEW FACES,OUT OF TEARS,MEAN DISPOSITION

Pretty much agree on all counts.

2-A BIGGER BANG (2006)
A LITTLE LONG,SHOULD HAVE OMITTED NEOCON,BOMH AND THE LYRICS TO LET ME DOWN SLOW AND ONNYA ARE ABYSMAL..OTHER THAN THAT IT'S GOT THE DIVERSITY OF STYLES PERKS ENJOYS SO MUCH AND ENOUGH ROCKERS TO KEEP HIM JUMPIN.ANOTHER RECORD LIKE IT WOULD BE BETTER THAN ANOTHER TOUR FOR ME.
GEMS- ROUGH JUSTICE, LAUGH, DANGEROUS BEAUTY, DRIVIN TOO FAST

Generally agree, altho I'm not so much a fan of drivin' to fast and I like BOMH

3-BRIDGES TO BABYLON (1997)
A GOOD RECORD,BUT TOO AMBITIOUS.THE DUST BROS. FUCKED UP 3 SONGS WITH GOOD POTENTIAL WHILE GUNFACE KICKS MAJOR ASS AS DOES TOO TIGHT.KEEF'S TUNES ARE ALL GOOD.
GEMS-TOO TIGHT,GUNFACE,HOW CAN I STOP,FLIP THE SWITCH

Don't like Howe can I Stop at all and Flip the Switch is only so so

I think Thief is the better Keith song. And despite the Dust Bros, I like Juiced

What kills me on this release is Already Over Me and Always Suffering. Ugh

4-STEEL WHEELS (1989)
MEDIOCRE RECORD THAT SOUNDED GREAT AT THE TIME..TOO RUSHED, ROCK AND A HARD PLACE IS REALLY LAME AS IS TERRIFYING..NOT BAD THOUGH TO ACCOMPANY THE TOUR.
GEMS-ALMOST HEAR YOU SIGH,CONTINENTAL DRIFT,HOLD ON TO YOUR HAT,SLIPPIN AWAY

Agreed -- in retrospect, you can see it was a comeback release. Don't care for Slipping Away so much -- Keith's ballads bore me to death.

28th March 2006 02:27 PM
ListenToTheLion All mediocre albums except for A Bigger Bang without doubt the best effort of the band since Tattoo You.
28th March 2006 02:29 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
2-A BIGGER BANG (2006)
DISCUSS

Minor correction Mr. Perks, Bigger Bang came out in 2005. now on with the show...
28th March 2006 02:30 PM
jb Keith and Mick's inability to work with one another and instead, bring their own material in, has resulted in uneveness and lack of a real stones feel..lets be honest, if any other group released this shit, we would call them U2 or Aerosmith.
28th March 2006 02:32 PM
BILL PERKS [quote]jb wrote:
Keith and Mick's inability to work with one another and instead, bring their own material in, has resulted in uneveness and lack of a real stones feel..te]

THAT IS BY FAR THE MOST INTERESTING OF YOUR 17K POSTS..KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK
28th March 2006 02:33 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
lets be honest, if any other group released this shit, we would call them U2 or Aerosmith.

Funny !!!!

Christ, that's posting on loan from God right there.

That's what my little friends and myself running around the Plains of Nebraska with knickers on and stick ball bats in our hands used to call "Postin'!"

You're POSTIN' baby!

The Joey - As seen on the reality show "That's Postin'!", 10:00 PM CDT Sundays.

-- "He is relentless...a relentless GENIUS!!! Long may JB and his keyboard live!!!", Aubrey Haines - Posting World Magazine.
28th March 2006 02:34 PM
Mikey Great post PERKS.

Love VL - The Worst, I Go Wild (with the "slow" melody and crushing guitars), Baby Break it Down and Thru and Thru are great. The opening minute of LIS is epic, although it falls off quickly IMO. I agree that Storm (and Zip Mouth Angel) should have been included. The entire Voodoo Brew and Stew collection are awesome!

ABB - I've listened to the entire album repeatedly, looking for all the brilliance that many here proclaim exists and I don't find any of it. "Laugh" is okay, Rough Justice is great, but the rest sound like poor outtakes or material that would, at one time, never find their way on any Stones album.

B2B - great potential and some songs still hold up (SOM, Out of Control are great songs, period). Keith's songs, Thief and the vastly underated "How can I stop" are great as well.

SW - pretty forgetable, although i love SSS
28th March 2006 02:35 PM
jb
quote:
Mikey wrote:
Great post PERKS.

Love VL - The Worst, I Go Wild (with the "slow" melody and crushing guitars), Baby Break it Down and Thru and Thru are great. The opening minute of LIS is epic, although it falls off quickly IMO. I agree that Storm (and Zip Mouth Angel) should have been included. The entire Voodoo Brew and Stew collection are awesome!

ABB - I've listened to the entire album repeatedly, looking for all the brilliance that many here proclaim exists and I don't find any of it. "Laugh" is okay, Rough Justice is great, but the rest sound like poor outtakes or material that would, at one time, never find their way on any Stones album.

B2B - great potential and some songs still hold up (SOM, Out of Control are great songs, period). Keith's songs, Thief and the vastly underated "How can I stop" are great as well.

SW - pretty forgetable, although i love SSS

I really like SS" as well.
28th March 2006 02:53 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
but the rest sound like poor outtakes or material that would, at one time, never find their way on any Stones album.

They'd find their way onto the Alfie soundtrack in 2 shakes of a lambs tail
[Edited by Bloozehound]
28th March 2006 02:56 PM
pdog
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

They'd find their way onto the Alfie soundtrack in 2 shakes of a lambs tail
[Edited by Bloozehound]

Are you admitting you own that?
28th March 2006 03:11 PM
jb
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
[quote]jb wrote:
Keith and Mick's inability to work with one another and instead, bring their own material in, has resulted in uneveness and lack of a real stones feel..te]

THAT IS BY FAR THE MOST INTERESTING OF YOUR 17K POSTS..KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

Pugs and Petey!!!!
28th March 2006 03:12 PM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
4. Voodoo Lounge (Some good songs, the best ones were b-sides and out-takes)

Pretty much. How vastly overrated this album is compared to some... It's got waaaay too many songs that are either really bad or just meh, but doesn't have Jump on top of me...
28th March 2006 03:15 PM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
What kills me on this release is Already Over Me and Always Suffering. Ugh

And these 2 are so much worse than the 3 Keith snoozers? I dislike Babylon mostly because of the three Keith bores that never seem to end. At least Always Suffering has a melody.
28th March 2006 03:15 PM
jb
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

And these 2 are so much worse than the 3 Keith snoozers? I dislike Babylon mostly because of the three Keith bores that never seem to end. At least Always Suffering has a melody.

Post 81 keith=rip van winkle set.
28th March 2006 03:17 PM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
jb wrote:

Post 81 keith=rip van winkle set.

Pretty much.
28th March 2006 03:19 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

Pretty much. How vastly overrated this album is compared to some... It's got waaaay too many songs that are either really bad or just meh, but doesn't have Jump on top of me...

Yes, thats what I was getting at, eliminate SOTJ altogether from that album, trade "New Faces" for "Jump On Top Of Me", trade "Sweethearts Together" for "The Storm" and this album will be infinately better.
28th March 2006 03:20 PM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

SOTJ

*shudder*

28th March 2006 03:34 PM
Jaxx
I like steel wheels better than voodoo lounge. it just rocks--can't be seen, rock and a hard place, and terrifying. almost hear you sigh is a real tear jerker of a love ballad. VL can be a bit "popish" at times--that said high points for me are suck on the jugular( funkTOWN) brand new car ( i love the car to female metaphor) and Love is strong (loved that live at MSG and it prompted me to play VL in my car for a couple of weeks! doesn't help my "propensity to speed", however and had to switch to mellower music.....)

B2B grew on me over time, high points being flip the switch, st. of me, out of control. this CD is fairly haunting all the way through. A Bigger Bang has alot of good guitar work through out and the lyrics on a lot of those tunes are laugh out loud funny (rough justice, neocon, look what the cat dragged in, she saw me coming---pure entertainment). i especially enjoy it won't take long, driving too fast, infamy, oh no not you again.

i have all of these albums uploaded to my ipod and especially enjoy them on "shuffle"
28th March 2006 03:36 PM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
Jaxx wrote:
and the lyrics on a lot of those tunes are laugh out loud funny (rough justice, neocon, look what the cat dragged in, she saw me coming---pure entertainment).

I'd add Let me down slow to the LOL lyrics, but do you think they are intentionally or unintentionally funny? With NeoCon, I'm afraid it's defnintely the latter...
28th March 2006 03:38 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
pdog wrote:

Are you admitting you own that?

I've never owned a Mick Jagger solo album in my life
28th March 2006 03:39 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Jaxx wrote:

I like steel wheels better than voodoo lounge. it just rocks--can't be seen, rock and a hard place, and terrifying. almost hear you sigh is a real tear jerker of a love ballad. VL can be a bit "popish" at times--that said high points for me are suck on the jugular( funkTOWN) brand new car ( i love the car to female metaphor) and Love is strong (loved that live at MSG and it prompted me to play VL in my car for a couple of weeks! doesn't help my "propensity to speed", however and had to switch to mellower music.....)

B2B grew on me over time, high points being flip the switch, st. of me, out of control. this CD is fairly haunting all the way through. A Bigger Bang has alot of good guitar work through out and the lyrics on a lot of those tunes are laugh out loud funny (rough justice, neocon, look what the cat dragged in, she saw me coming---pure entertainment). i especially enjoy it won't take long, driving too fast, infamy, oh no not you again.

i have all of these albums uploaded to my ipod and especially enjoy them on "shuffle"

I like the love you give to Steel Wheels, for me it was an honest snapshot of where the band was at the time, same with B2B and ABB. While VL did have some great songs, it seems the band was trying to hard to capture the magic of their early 70's sound, and yes, at times it was a bit too poppy.
28th March 2006 03:44 PM
Jaxx
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:
I'd add Let me down slow to the LOL lyrics, but do you think they are intentionally or unintentionally funny? With NeoCon, I'm afraid it's defnintely the latter...

i think its black humour. i don't think mick does anything unintentionally. i think in neocon he's vocalizing his political views. as for let me down slow, look what the cat dragged in, she saw me coming et al, his comment on women has the usual sardonic edge and again i would put "that genre in the black humour column. dark, but still humorous.
28th March 2006 03:46 PM
Jaxx
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
I like the love you give to Steel Wheels, for me it was an honest snapshot of where the band was at the time,

its a bit sentimental as well. isn't it bill wyman's last album as a rolling stone?
28th March 2006 03:46 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Jaxx wrote:

its a bit sentimental as well. isn't it bill wyman's last album as a rolling stone?

Yes it was, and even on that he only played on about half of the songs.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)