ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Art Wood tribute gig
York House, Twickenham, London - 25 March 2007
© Adrian-L; thanks a lot!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jagger's Voice Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
12th March 2007 02:20 PM
Collinstephens His voice has came along way since the beginning of his career. In his old age, it has greatly improved, it is more distinct, more Mick. Jagger's voice is so much better live then they make it out to be in the studio.
12th March 2007 02:27 PM
Saint Sway these days he sings like a poof and over annunciates everything
12th March 2007 02:29 PM
jb
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
these days he sings like a poof and over annunciates everything

Agreed...but I accept it as compared to the guitar light duo, he still puts on a great show.
[Edited by jb]
12th March 2007 02:31 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
jb wrote:

Agreed...but I accept it as compared to the guitar light duo, he still puts on a great show.
[Edited by jb]

he is far and away the greatest performer

sadly, Blondie is our best guitarist right now
12th March 2007 02:31 PM
jb
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

he is far and away the greatest performer

sadly, Blondie is our best guitarist right now

Pug?
12th March 2007 02:32 PM
Joey
quote:
jigsawpuzzle wrote:

What are your thoughts???

My thoughts are this :

I absolutley love listening to boots from the '81 Tour . Whenever I hear anything off of " Hampton '81 " I get that " The Party has just Started " feeling . Indeed , I hear barkers and see colored balloons falling down all around me ...

....and you's ?!

'kins
12th March 2007 02:35 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Joey wrote:
My thoughts are this :

I absolutley love listening to boots from the '81 Tour . Whenever I hear anything off of " Hampton '81 " I get that " The Party has just Started " feeling . Indeed , I hear barkers and see colored balloons falling down all around me ...

I like it when you go to the vaults!

12th March 2007 02:36 PM
nankerphelge 1981 the zenith???
Post '89 his best work???

WRONG!

'81 was horrible -- he didn't sing at all -- he grunted the entire tour.

'89 to present -- no Jagbonics -- you can understand every word. What the fuck is that?

Best time for Mick vocally - 1967-1978

12th March 2007 02:38 PM
Joey " I like it when you go to the vaults!"

12th March 2007 02:39 PM
Joey " I like it when you go to the vaults! "

12th March 2007 04:02 PM
glencar No Security...Best Ever!
12th March 2007 09:50 PM
texile
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:

'89 to present -- no Jagbonics -- you can understand every word. What the fuck is that?

Best time for Mick vocally - 1967-1978

lol...
i was thinking about jagger's voice last week when i was listening to think i'm going mad...
listen to his voice on that song, and then try to think of anything after that where he had that voice..(maybe no use in crying)
that was different mick...
just listen to it -
it sounds like he's really depressed in the song, but it sounds real and full of sadness...
it made ME sad that we'll never hear that voice again....
what happened?

13th March 2007 10:40 AM
Lil Brian Mickey, he sings so purdy. Live! On the BBC 1963-64 (Morph 41)
13th March 2007 02:38 PM
tumbling dice I like his coockney accent of the 60´s(Gimme Shelter-The Movie).In 72 he was on coke but was singing very well and screaming in tune.By 75/76 he was in his worst period.Street Fighting Man in knewborth was terrible,the guy was snorting a lot of snow.In 78 he was in transition,sometimes like 76 and sometimes like 81 but i like that style, he was raw.In 81/82 he got best equipament and began to communicate with the crowd like a crooner with great audience and his vocals were strong but rough.I love it anyway,that was the chemistry of the Stones.They were dirty!!
Nowadays he´s singing better than ever technically but sometimes he lacks of soul in his performance.
13th March 2007 02:47 PM
jb
quote:
tumbling dice wrote:
I like his coockney accent of the 60´s(Gimme Shelter-The Movie).In 72 he was on coke but was singing very well and screaming in tune.By 75/76 he was in his worst period.Street Fighting Man in knewborth was terrible,the guy was snorting a lot of snow.In 78 he was in transition,sometimes like 76 and sometimes like 81 but i like that style, he was raw.In 81/82 he got best equipament and began to communicate with the crowd like a crooner with great audience and his vocals were strong but rough.I love it anyway,that was the chemistry of the Stones.They were dirty!!
Nowadays he´s singing better than ever technically but sometimes he lacks of soul in his performance.

well said..and 100% correct.
13th March 2007 07:54 PM
Prodigal Son Mick was at his best in the studio at least from 1968-81. Live? Not the expert on this but he sounded pretty lame in the mid-70s whereas in the late 60s-early 70s, he was the Mick we all have come to love. After that, he was still good. But his overenunciation since 1989 has been a bit annoying to me. What has really dropped off are his lyrics. My god, starting with his solo stuff in the mid-80s he has written some dumb, dumb lyrics. Undercover and Emotional Rescue had some of those problems. With his scintillatingly sardonic and witty lyrics from Some Girls, who could tell what his around the corner?
[Edited by Prodigal Son]
14th March 2007 07:32 AM
glencar
quote:
jb wrote:

well said..and 100% correct.

90% correct as I think Jagger always has soul in his performances.
14th March 2007 04:23 PM
Bitch Some of you are very critical, aren't you? MICK has always been the very best front man and lead singer in the rock world through the past 5 decades, and MICK still continues to perform amazingly well!! MICK will ALWAYS be TOPS!!! So stop saying he's a has-been, because he isn't!!! MICK JAGGER RULES the ROCK & ROLL WORLD! No one else can come close, no one can touch him, no one is worthy to kiss his ass, no one commands the stage like MICK, no one in the world!! OK, you got that straight? Good!
14th March 2007 05:01 PM
glencar Nice post, Bitch, but sadly, it won't sink in. I think some of these people are stuck in the past. See the ABB thread.
15th March 2007 11:41 AM
oldkr "Some of you are very critical, aren't you? MICK has always been the very best front man and lead singer in the rock world through the past 5 decades"

not true! look at the stuff from the 1960s - he was shit! he only really became 'mick' in the 1970s. There are far more accomplished rock singers than mick. he just happens to be your fave! However as a combination he is the best at what he does. That doesn't preclude him being as has-been tho. he is a has-been they all are. otherwise they'd be popular outside of the elitist world of high-priced touring and write some more decent music more often.

being sycophantic is as bad as being overly critical.

OLDKR
15th March 2007 11:44 AM
jb
quote:
oldkr wrote:
"Some of you are very critical, aren't you? MICK has always been the very best front man and lead singer in the rock world through the past 5 decades"

not true! look at the stuff from the 1960s - he was shit! he only really became 'mick' in the 1970s. There are far more accomplished rock singers than mick. he just happens to be your fave! However as a combination he is the best at what he does. That doesn't preclude him being as has-been tho. he is a has-been they all are. otherwise they'd be popular outside of the elitist world of high-priced touring and write some more decent music more often.

OLDKR

100% correct Oldkr(bkrront)...Mick is , imo, the best ever..but he has not wriiten a good song since BBR, and his solo efforts have sucked....his voice lost it's great Stonsey snarl it last had in 81....while he may sing actually better now, it is sterile, too clear, and fake at times.
15th March 2007 11:48 AM
the good
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

!!!!!! he was never more flat!!!!!

The only time he was flat in 81 was on satisfaction. Otherwise, I think he sounded pretty good. How on earth anyone can say he sounded great in 89 is beyond me. I think it was his worst tour ever.
15th March 2007 11:50 AM
jb
quote:
the good wrote:

The only time he was flat in 81 was on satisfaction. Otherwise, I think he sounded pretty good. How on earth anyone can say he sounded great in 89 is beyond me. I think it was his worst tour ever.

100% correct..1989 was a great set-list, but the beginning of the mordern day Vegas Stones..Jaggers vocals and hair were awful....Keith and Ronnie, did, however, play well.
15th March 2007 11:54 AM
Saint Sway those Japanese guitars they played on a lot of songs on the 89 tour sucked big time. Sounded too clean - thin and weak.

when Keith would switch back to the Tele he sounded dirty again.
15th March 2007 05:54 PM
texile
quote:
oldkr wrote:

OLDKR

true.

15th March 2007 05:57 PM
glencar
quote:
jb wrote:

100% correct Oldkr(bkrront)...Mick is , imo, the best ever..but he has not wriiten a good song since BBR, and his solo efforts have sucked....his voice lost it's great Stonsey snarl it last had in 81....while he may sing actually better now, it is sterile, too clear, and fake at times.

That yer gayest post ever! Have you lsitened to Midnight rambler from the last tour?
15th March 2007 06:04 PM
Throwaway
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
those Japanese guitars they played on a lot of songs on the 89 tour sucked big time. Sounded too clean - thin and weak.

when Keith would switch back to the Tele he sounded dirty again.

Guitar tones in 89/90 (live) were the worst ever. When I listen to IORR from that tour I get the taste of flat, warm Diet Coke in my mouth. As for Mick's vocals, today he's more predictable (not always a negative thing), for example he isn't all over the place, and while he doesn't replicate the rawness of say JMI in 78 he can still pull off a THSMLI every now and then.
15th March 2007 06:05 PM
luxury1 "spending summer days lying on the ridge, watching girls in cotton dresses diving off the bridge."

I dont know, but that lyric slays me. From Goddess CD.

I think his voice (and body) has never been stronger--could be with the way they now schedule shows --never back to back. When he wants to reach and scat, there is no front man I know of who can pull it off so effortlessly, and funkified, for a skinny white boy.
15th March 2007 08:48 PM
texile
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
"spending summer days lying on the ridge, watching girls in cotton dresses diving off the bridge."

I dont know, but that lyric slays me. From Goddess CD.

that's the thing! i love his voice on that song...it's real and full of emotion.
it sucks that song wasn't on a stones cd because more people would know it, but it kind of got overlooked and lost...
too far gone IS a great jagger vocal because it SOUNDS like the old mick from the 60s and 70s...when i first heard it, it was like,
'THAT'S the mick i love..'
this song proves he hasn't lost that edge and grittiness -
but that's only one example and they're far and few between..
onnya from abb?
out of focus from WS?
16th March 2007 01:54 PM
Stray Cat UK I don't think he could sing like in the 70's. Studio or live,at the age of 63 he would just fuck his voice after 1 song .

Think Let it loose.

On the other hand,his voice is in great shape compared to Daltrey,Dylan,Macca,just about any of his peers.

scuk
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)