ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Art Wood tribute gig
York House, Twickenham, London - 25 March 2007
© Adrian-L; thanks a lot!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jagger's Voice Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
10th March 2007 01:43 PM
jigsawpuzzle Alright....I'm gonna ask when do you think that Jagger's voice became more authentic? More distinctive...More clear....more Mick......?

I believe it was during the '81 tour. Yes He and the Stones set the stage for R'Roll during the 70's, but his voice really changed during this tour. More clearer, more high notes, more breath.

What are your thoughts???
10th March 2007 01:48 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
jigsawpuzzle wrote:
Alright....I'm gonna ask when do you think that Jagger's voice became more authentic? More distinctive...More clear....more Mick......?

I believe it was during the '81 tour. Yes He and the Stones set the stage for R'Roll during the 70's, but his voice really changed during this tour. More clearer, more high notes, more breath.

What are your thoughts???

My thoughts? You could not be more wrong. "He and the Stones set the stage for R'Roll during the 70's"?!?!?!? Ever hear of the 60's?!?
1981 was Jagger's worst tour, abysmal shouting 'cuz he was he was running around too much instead of dancing and he was coked to the gills--which might sound 'cool' to newbies, but left his voice sounding like shit....1989 was a vast improvement vocally....Mick was Mick in a vocal sense from at least 1963
10th March 2007 01:50 PM
CraigP I like '81 as well. It was a very deep, flat voice but very loud.

However, by '89 he started to get that lackluster, whiney, nasaly sound which I somewhat dislike.

"When you're olllldddd, when you're olllddd... Nobody will knoowww"
10th March 2007 01:54 PM
glencar It's hard to think that the 1969 tour wasn't graced by a distinctive voice.
10th March 2007 02:53 PM
oldkr 89 before this he was just shouting/speaking he didnt start to sing until then. Pre 89 he had a 'studio voice' and a live voice' post 94 they became one.

OLDKR
10th March 2007 03:00 PM
GotToRollMe Yeah, I think starting in the late '80s - early '90s he started taking better care of his voice, taking lessons, controlling his breathing, etc. It seemed like by the time they toured behind Bridges To Babylon he was really hitting his stride, and sounding very nice indeed on the ballads.
10th March 2007 03:16 PM
Bitch MICK's voice was always distinctive, you can hear him stand out on any back up vocals or on any of the music he's done with other musicians besides the STONES. His voice has always been unique.

But
MICK's voice changed after he quit smoking cigarettes and snorting coke and started taking voice lessons. From what I can recall that was around 1980. Uses the same vocal coach as Bono.
10th March 2007 03:27 PM
CraigP I'm sure he quit smoking in the 60's/early 70's.
There is no way he could have done what he did on stage then, having been a smoker a the time.
10th March 2007 03:35 PM
fireontheplatter i think the stones still snap out before a show.
out of the 15-20 times i have seen them i have only heard micks voice crack once and that was in hartfor conn during the no security tour. i believe it was during start me up. other than that he has always sounded awesome to me.
10th March 2007 04:01 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
CraigP wrote:
I like '81 as well. It was a very deep, flat voice but very loud.

However, by '89 he started to get that lackluster, whiney, nasaly sound which I somewhat dislike.

"When you're olllldddd, when you're olllddd... Nobody will knoowww"

RUDE,RUDE,RUDE...I WISH I WERE NUDE!!
10th March 2007 04:14 PM
Joey
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

RUDE,RUDE,RUDE...I WISH I WERE NUDE!!

Perks .............................

I do not particularly care for youe avatar .

" He has a nasty hangover again Ronnie ! "

Jacky Cakes ! ™
10th March 2007 04:38 PM
CraigP Ha! I thought he said: "rude, rude, rude, I wish a wasn't used."

10th March 2007 05:52 PM
jigsawpuzzle Thanks for all the reply's but throw in Tattoo You and listen to Black Lino......

Big Change!!
10th March 2007 05:53 PM
Highwire Rob Of course, don't overlook the (**conscious) accent change as well. I mean, at some point his lyrical expression/sound became more, well "Americanized"? -- Beyond the days of Mutha's littul 'elper.

I saw a local Pennsylvania Stones cover band a few months back called "Jumpin' Jack Flash" [bet you weren't gonn'a guess the name?]. Anyway, they did an historical set progression and by set two I was really getting in to it. But what made me at first cringe (being half English) was the singer's inability to go beyond a parody English accent throughout the Stone's early years. It was a shame because IMO his cover band's guitar/instrument playing remained so faithful. By the time they hit the early 70s, "Keith" even did a rip-roaring version of Star Fucker by request.
--------------------

**The real Mick is a master of vocal expression and he can transition when he wants to (as Emotional Rescue well demonstrates).

What do you guys think? What is you experience with non-Anglo cover bands trying to approximate Mick's early/late vocals? Are you perhaps in a cover band that can do it?
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
10th March 2007 06:08 PM
CraigP I am a Bostonian.
I can pull off the accent very well. Whether it be in speaking or singing... "where the boys go" for example.
10th March 2007 06:22 PM
Prodigal Son I think that despite its crappiness, Dirty Work holds a few songs where Mick's singing is damn good. He is just screaming and trying to tear his larynx or something on "One Hit," "Fight," "Harlem Shuffle," "Had it with You" and "Dirty Work." Mick is technically a better singer in the past 25 years than he was before, but I guess I prefer the untamed studio Mick. Since the vocal coach thing began, he's written sappier ballads more than ever. "Angie" looks like death metal next to "Streets of Love." Although in concert in the 70s, he could really be shit if he wanted (witness Love You Live, blabbering bout "Ah know, s'oly rock a row buh ah lye it!" "Brow shoogah! Ow caw oo tase so goo!")
10th March 2007 07:18 PM
glencar The difference between his first 2 solo albums is telling...
10th March 2007 07:19 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
I think that despite its crappiness, Dirty Work holds a few songs where Mick's singing is damn good. He is just screaming and trying to tear his larynx or something on "One Hit," "Fight," "Harlem Shuffle," "Had it with You" and "Dirty Work."

Mick sings the shit out of those cited tunes!!
10th March 2007 07:22 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
Since the vocal coach thing began, he's written sappier ballads more than ever. "Angie" looks like death metal next to "Streets of Love." Although in concert in the 70s, he could really be shit if he wanted (witness Love You Live, blabbering bout "Ah know, s'oly rock a row buh ah lye it!" "Brow shoogah! Ow caw oo tase so goo!")

Classic! And I so agree.
10th March 2007 07:34 PM
CraigP Bernard Fowler is an asshole.
He wouldn't even let me take a picture with him on Landsdowne Street in Boston. So I told him straight up.
10th March 2007 07:39 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
CraigP wrote:
Bernard Fowler is an asshole.
He wouldn't even let me take a picture with him on Landsdowne Street in Boston. So I told him straight up.

it was probably because you are a dude
10th March 2007 07:50 PM
CraigP I know, but still... what the hell?

I have countless pictures with Buckcherry, for example. They are dudes.
11th March 2007 03:48 AM
yellerstang He was at his best in 1981. He was inspired, hit all his notes, but still was raw, sexual, and provacative.

From 1989 on, he sounds like he was neutered. Technically better, but totally gay sounding and boring as sh*t!
11th March 2007 07:42 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
yellerstang wrote:
He was at his best in 1981. He was inspired, hit all his notes,

!!!!!! he was never more flat!!!!!

11th March 2007 02:37 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
CraigP wrote:
Bernard Fowler is an asshole.

I had no problem getting him next to me for the pic. He had almost stepped into the van, because they were leaving for the Amsterdam stadium for that night's show. But he turned around when I approached him and asked for a picture. He said: 'Sure'. That was it, nothing more to it (well, he grabbed my ass of course, but other than that...).
11th March 2007 02:57 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

I had no problem getting him next to me for the pic. He had almost stepped into the van, because they were leaving for the Amsterdam stadium for that night's show. But he turned around when I approached him and asked for a picture. He said: 'Sure'. That was it, nothing more to it (well, he grabbed my ass of course, but other than that...).

nah...you lie. he didn't grab your butt. i can see his fingers inbetween your breasts and waist line.

everybody say ow
11th March 2007 03:12 PM
Angiegirl Oh ok, sorry, yeah, it was my breast. He's a grabber alright
11th March 2007 04:06 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
glencar wrote:
It's hard to think that the 1969 tour wasn't graced by a distinctive voice.

Nuff' said!
12th March 2007 02:16 PM
texile
quote:
Bitch wrote:

But
MICK's voice changed after he quit smoking cigarettes and snorting coke and started taking voice lessons. From what I can recall that was around 1980. Uses the same vocal coach as Bono.

agree, and it changed for the worst...
some of the passion and grit was lost when his voice became more 'polished'
he lost that growl...
now, there are few moments that remind me of mick's lod voice.
12th March 2007 02:20 PM
jb Has not sounded stonsey since 81.....he destroys Sway and CYHMK with the very weak lyrical effort...
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)