ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

City Hall, Salisbury , UK - 17th January 1964
© 1964 The Associated Newspapers Archuves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Pure, Unaduterated Rock n Roll Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
03-12-04 01:08 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

If I'm not mistaken both Mick and Keith are on his next record. I can't find much information about it though.

Hate to go off-topic and actually post about the subject at hand, but... JLL's new album is called "Old Glory", features Mick (vocals) and Woody (pedal steel) on Mick's tune "Evening Gown", I think Keith is on the album too, and it's supposed to be released in April. The individual Stones recorded their stuff when they were in Nashville on the last tour.

As for "just doing it for the money" - that's ALWAYS been why he did it, and why most of us do ANYTHING. Unfortunately that's the way this world works.

The differences between "rock" and "rock & roll" are almost indefinable - nearly metaphysical - but definite. Carved in Stone.

Hypno-Monkey sez: NRBQ are a rock & roll band; Van Halen are a rock band.

03-12-04 01:20 PM
nankerphelge What is Canned Heat?

Heard one of their tunes the other day -- I kinda get a kick outta them!
03-12-04 01:26 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
What is Canned Heat?

Canned Heat would have been one of the koolest bands ever had not they all went off and died so young. We were robbed on that one.
03-12-04 01:26 PM
nankerphelge Yeah they were somewhat limited by death huh?!

03-12-04 01:32 PM
FPM C10
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
What is Canned Heat?

Oh, they definitely rock & ROLL. Any band with Larry Taylor playing bass ROLLS. (Most recently seen on Tom Waits' "Mule Variations" tour - hey, d'I ever tell yuh bout meetin Keef in the pisser? I DID??? Oh.)

They were one of my first introductions to real blues. (as in "if you dig THIS then dig THAT".) Unfortunately most of them (Big Fat & Blind Owl - & Henry Vestine too?) are dead. So they ain't rolling no more.
03-12-04 01:34 PM
nankerphelge They were just a bit before my time -- but I think I might pick up some of their earlier stuff -- you know, before death set in!
03-12-04 01:35 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Yeah they were somewhat limited by death huh?!

Yeah. What a bitch. Now they leave the rest of us to sort it out. I think the original drummer is trying to keep the lagacy alive. I mean I know it's not the same but it keeps the name out there I guess. To me, both Jethro Tull and Frank Zappa and the Mothers are decendents of Canned Heat.
03-12-04 01:49 PM
Nasty Habits At least until Al Wilson died Canned Heat were rock and roll.

03-12-04 01:50 PM
nankerphelge Any recommendations on Canned Heat releases?
03-12-04 02:16 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Emerging in 1966, Canned Heat was founded by blues historians and record collectors Alan "Blind Owl" Wilson and Bob "The Bear" Hite. They gained international attention and secured their niche in the pages of rock 'n roll history with their performances at the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival (along with Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and The Who) and the headlining slot at the original Woodstock Festival. Wilson was already renowned for his distinctive harmonica work when he accompanied veteran bluesman, Son House, on his rediscovery album, "Father of the Blues." Hite took the name Canned Heat from a 1928 recording by Tommy Johnson. They were joined by Henry "The Sunflower" Vestine, another ardent record collector capable of fretboard fireworks at a moment's notice who was a former member of Frank Zappa's Mothers of Invention. Rounding out the band in 1967 were Larry "The Mole" Taylor on bass, an experienced session musician who had played with Jerry Lee Lewis and The Monkees and Adolfo "Fito" de la Parra on drums who had played in two of the biggest Latin American bands, Los Sinners and Los Hooligans and then with The Platters, The Shirelles, T-Bone Walker and Etta James.

Canned Heat's unique blend of modern electric blues, rock and boogie has earned them a loyal following and influenced many aspiring guitarists and bands during the past 35 years. Their Top-40 country-blues-rock songs, "On The Road Again," "Let's Work Together," and "Going Up The Country," became rock anthems throughout the world with the later being adopted as the unofficial theme song for the film Woodstock.

Right from the start, Canned Heat has been at the forefront of popularizing blues music. Their second album, "Boogie With Canned Heat," included the worldwide hit "On The Road Again" and a twelve minute version of "Fried Hockey Boogie" that established them with hippie ballroom audiences as the "kings of the boogie!" Their third album, "Living The Blues," included a 19-minute tour de force, "Parthenogenesis" which displayed the quintet at their most experimental along with their incarnation of Henry Thomas' "Bulldozer Blues" where singer, Wilson, retained the tune of the original song, rewrote the lyric and came up with "Goin' Up The Country," whose simple message caught the "back-to-nature" attitude of the late '60s and went to #1 in 25 countries around the world.

The band can boast of collaborations with John Mayall and Little Richard and later with blues icon, John Lee Hooker, the musician that they initially got much of their musical inspiration from in the first place. This union first produced the spirited and revered album, "Hooker 'n Heat" and then Hooker's 1990 Grammy Award-winning classic, "The Healer." The band is also credited with bringing a number of other forgotten bluesmen to the forefront of modern blues including Sunnyland Slim, who they found driving a taxi in Chicago, Skip James, who they found in a hospital in Tunica, Mississippi and took to the Newport Festival, Memphis Slim and Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown with whom they recorded in France and Albert Collins. They brought Collins to California where they had their manager negotiate a recording agreement for Albert that started him on his way to becoming a well known musician throughout the world.

On September 3rd, 1970, the band was shattered by the suicide of Alan Wilson. His death sparked reconstruction within the group and member changes continued throughout the next two decades. On April 5th, 1981, at the Palamino in Los Angeles, gargantuan vocalist, Bob Hite, collapsed and died of a heart attack and on October 20th, 1997, Henry Vestine died in Paris, France following the final gig of a European tour.

Despite these untimely deaths and assorted musical trends, Canned Heat has survived under the leadership of Fito de la Parra since the late 70's. Since 1967, the band has toured extensively all over the world, performing at numerous festivals including Monterey Pop, Newport Pop, the Sturgis Motorcycle Run U.S.A., and the original Woodstock. They have performed at world-renowned venues such as Paris' Olympia, both Fillmore Auditoriums, The Kaleidoscope, Carnegie Hall (with John Lee Hooker), Madison Square Garden and even Royal Albert Hall and have played more biker festivals than any other band in the world.

They and/or their music have been featured on television (In Concert, David Frost, Merv Griffin, Midnight Special, Playboy After Dark, etc.), and in films ("Woodstock," "Flashback," and "Forrest Gump" etc.). Their legend has recently been heard and felt in various television commercials ("On The Road Again" for Miller Beer, "Goin' Up The Country" for Pepsi, Chevrolet and McDonalds, "Let's Work Together" for Lloyd's Bank, England's Electric Company and for Target Stores along with other songs for 7-Up, Levi's and Heineken Beer).

Now, more than thirty six years later and with thirty-six albums to their credit, Canned Heat is still going strong. Anchored throughout by the steady hand of drummer/band leader Adolfo "Fito" de la Parra (a member since 1967), Canned Heat is well on track to carry the boogie-blues it made famous, well into the 21st century. With one of their strongest lineups ever, now together since the end of 1999, Fito on drums, Greg Kage on bass and vocals, Dallas Hodge on guitar and vocals, John Paulus on guitar and vocals and Stanley Behrens on harmonica, flute, saxophone and vocals. They have just completed recording their new CD entitled "Friends In The Can." This record brings together a number of Canned Heat's musical friends from the past and present to join them in this musical collaboration and celebration of 36 years of Canned Heat music.

Fito's book, "LIVING THE BLUES" is available through the band's website at www.cannedheatmusic.com and at most popular book outlets. It is the complete and outrageous Canned Heat story of "Music, Drugs, Death, Sex and Survival" along with over 100 captivating pictures from their past.

And, as The Bear would say: "Don't Forget To Boogie!"

~ Fito de la Parra, Skip Taylor - 2003

03-12-04 02:30 PM
jb Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jew Boys....
03-12-04 02:52 PM
FPM C10
quote:
jb wrote:
Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jew Boys....

"knickers...let's magnetize this motherfucker."
- Steve Earle
03-12-04 02:58 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Emerging in 1966, Canned Heat was founded by blues historians and record collectors Alan "Blind Owl" Wilson and Bob "The Bear" Hite. ..

Thanks for posting that. There was a lot of stuff I did not know. My info was off the top of my head, and since I've become Hypno-Monkey the pressures of the presidency have made my memory iffy at best.

Canned Heat was something we always listened to on 8-track when we smoked pot in 8th grade.

03-12-04 03:00 PM
jb Congrats FPMC10 on your 1000th post.
03-12-04 03:07 PM
FPM C10
quote:
jb wrote:
Congrats FPMC10 on your 1000th post.

Poop is stinky.
03-12-04 03:08 PM
Joey

Fleabit is no longer serious !

03-12-04 03:19 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Any recommendations on Canned Heat releases?

Uncanned: The Best of Canned Heat is a great out of print double CD. Very fine shit, usually available on Half.com or Ebay.

03-12-04 03:21 PM
jb
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

Uncanned: The Best of Canned Heat is a great out of print double CD. Very fine shit, usually available on Half.com or Ebay.

Nasty, you have done more for the Rolling Stones in one day than Joey has done for the Who.
03-12-04 03:24 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
jb wrote:

Nasty, you have done more for the Rolling Stones in one day than Joey has done for the Who.

That's because nothing more CAN be done for the Who!

03-12-04 03:25 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
Canned Heat was something we always listened to on 8-track when we smoked pot in 8th grade.

Yeah. Bob Hite and Alan Wilson. Whoever they were. I think they smoked a little pot too once in awhile too. What a great band!
03-12-04 04:18 PM
Factory Girl Nasty wrote: That's because nothing more CAN be done for the Who!

That is so true.
03-12-04 04:26 PM
jb When are you returning to Fla. Factory Girl? Spring Break is just about here.
03-12-04 04:26 PM
Joey " That's because nothing more CAN be done for the Who!"

Ninea Abs Shae Monkee !!!!!!!

Ninea !
03-12-04 04:28 PM
jb
quote:
Joey wrote:
" That's because nothing more CAN be done for the Who!"

Ninea Abs Shae Monkee !!!!!!!

Ninea !

Sma Yisrael adonou elohanou, adonou, echad.
03-12-04 04:28 PM
Joey " Sma Yisrael adonou elohanou, adonou, echad. "

Shalom !
03-12-04 04:32 PM
jb
quote:
Joey wrote:
" Sma Yisrael adonou elohanou, adonou, echad. "

Shalom !

Hear oh Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.
03-12-04 04:42 PM
Joey " Hear oh Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. "

Ah Beersheba ................................
03-12-04 04:44 PM
Sir Stonesalot To me, Rock & Roll has always transcended genre. Sure, there is straight up Rock & Roll(The Stones, Chuck). But Blues can be Rock & Roll(Muddy & The Wolf). Soul can be Rock & Roll(James Brown & Marvin Gaye). Reggae can be Rock & Roll(Toots, Bob, & Peter). Country can be Rock & Roll(Hank & Johnny). Rock can be Rock & Roll(The Who and Motorhead).... But Rock can also be just Rock(Van Halen & Led Zepplin ), and Blues just Blues(Robert Cray & Keb Mo'), and Country just Country(Most all of that new country crap). Rock & Roll can be many things, but many thing can't be Rock & Roll. This is why Rock & Roll always trumps a mere genre type of music. Rock music can suck, like say...The Doors or Rush. But anything that is Rock & Roll can't suck. If it sucks then you know it IS NOT Rock & Roll.

In fact, things that are not even musical can be Rock & Roll. Like, Salvador Dali or Pablo Picasso or Johnny Depp or Bela Legosi or Frank Lloyd Wright or Corvettes or Lester Bangs or Jack Keroac or Lenny Bruce or Monty Python. All are Rock & Roll.

Like Hypno-Monkey, I'm not sure that mere words can define EXACTLY what Rock & Roll is. It's a very intuitive thing. You either know it, or you don't. I'll bet if they do enough reasearch, they'd find that there is a Rock & Roll gene, or a Rock & Roll strand in a person's DNA. You either got it or you don't.

The Dirtbombs are Rock & Roll. The Strokes are not. The Clash are Rock & Roll. Blink 182 are not. Bob Dylan is Rock & Roll. Dave Matthews is not. The Red Hot Chili Peppers were Rock & Roll at one time(True Men Don't Kill Coyotes), but now they are not.

That's another thing about Rock & Roll...you can lose it real easy. Just because you have it at one time doesn't mean that you'll ALWAYS have it. Even the Stones have lost it(witness Emotional Rescue)...and they are the epitome of Rock & Roll. Fortunately they got it back...and after seeing the Roseland show...they still got it.
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
03-12-04 04:50 PM
Joey
" To me, Rock & Roll has always transcended genre. "

" Sure, there is straight up Rock & Roll(The Stones, Chuck). But Blues can be Rock & Roll(Muddy & The Wolf). Soul can be Rock & Roll(James Brown & Marvin Gaye). Reggae can be Rock & Roll(Toots, Bob, & Peter). Country can be Rock & Roll(Hank & Johnny). Rock can be Rock & Roll(The Who and Motorhead).... But Rock can also be just Rock(Van Halen & Led Zepplin ), and Blues just Blues(Robert Cray & Keb Mo'), and Country just Country(Most all of that new country crap). Rock & Roll can be many things, but many thing can't be Rock & Roll. This is why Rock & Roll always trumps a mere genre type of music. Rock music can suck, like say...The Doors or Rush. But anything that is Rock & Roll can't suck. If it sucks then you know it IS NOT Rock & Roll. "

" In fact, things that are not even musical can be Rock & Roll. Like, Salvador Dali or Pablo Picasso or Johnny Depp or Bela Legosi or Frank Lloyd Wright or Corvettes or Lester Bangs or Jack Keroac or Lenny Bruce or Monty Python. All are Rock & Roll. "

" Like Hypno-Monkey, I'm not sure that mere words can define EXACTLY what Rock & Roll is. It's a very intuitive thing. You either know it, or you don't. I'll bet if they do enough reasearch, they'd find that there is a Rock & Roll gene, or a Rock & Roll strand in a person's DNA. You either got it or you don't. "

Incredible

" The Dirtbombs are Rock & Roll. The Strokes are not. The Clash are Rock & Roll. Blink 182 are not. Bob Dylan is Rock & Roll. Dave Matthews is not. The Red Hot Chili Peppers were Rock & Roll at one time(True Men Don't Kill Coyotes), but now they are not. "

"That's another thing about Rock & Roll...you can lose it real easy. Just because you have it at one time doesn't mean that you'll ALWAYS have it. Even the Stones have lost it(witness Emotional Rescue)...and they are the epitome of Rock & Roll. Fortunately they got it back...and after seeing the Roseland show...they still got it. "

Kins !

03-12-04 04:51 PM
jb jOEY, YOU OUT DID YOURSELF!!!
Page: 1 2 3

BEST VIEWED HIGH