ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

City Hall, Salisbury , UK - 17th January 1964
© 1964 The Associated Newspapers Archuves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Pure, Unaduterated Rock n Roll Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
03-12-04 04:51 PM
Factory Girl The Strokes are Rock & Roll, even if they don't meet Stonesy's exacting definition.

jb, I might be back in Fla this summer.
03-12-04 04:54 PM
Joey " JOEY, YOU OUT DID YOURSELF!!! "

03-12-04 04:55 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
To me, Rock & Roll has always transcended genre. Sure, there is straight up Rock & Roll(The Stones, Chuck). But Blues can be Rock & Roll(Muddy & The Wolf). Soul can be Rock & Roll(James Brown & Marvin Gaye). Reggae can be Rock & Roll(Toots, Bob, & Peter). Country can be Rock & Roll(Hank & Johnny). Rock can be Rock & Roll(The Who and Motorhead).... But Rock can also be just Rock(Van Halen & Led Zepplin ), and Blues just Blues(Robert Cray & Keb Mo'), and Country just Country(Most all of that new country crap). Rock & Roll can be many things, but many thing can't be Rock & Roll. This is why Rock & Roll always trumps a mere genre type of music. Rock music can suck, like say...The Doors or Rush. But anything that is Rock & Roll can't suck. If it sucks then you know it IS NOT Rock & Roll.

In fact, things that are not even musical can be Rock & Roll. Like, Salvador Dali or Pablo Picasso or Johnny Depp or Bela Legosi or Frank Lloyd Wright or Corvettes or Lester Bangs or Jack Keroac or Lenny Bruce or Monty Python. All are Rock & Roll.

Like Hypno-Monkey, I'm not sure that mere words can define EXACTLY what Rock & Roll is. It's a very intuitive thing. You either know it, or you don't. I'll bet if they do enough reasearch, they'd find that there is a Rock & Roll gene, or a Rock & Roll strand in a person's DNA. You either got it or you don't.

The Dirtbombs are Rock & Roll. The Strokes are not. The Clash are Rock & Roll. Blink 182 are not. Bob Dylan is Rock & Roll. Dave Matthews is not. The Red Hot Chili Peppers were Rock & Roll at one time(True Men Don't Kill Coyotes), but now they are not.

That's another thing about Rock & Roll...you can lose it real easy. Just because you have it at one time doesn't mean that you'll ALWAYS have it. Even the Stones have lost it(witness Emotional Rescue)...and they are the epitome of Rock & Roll. Fortunately they got it back...and after seeing the Roseland show...they still got it.
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]

What? I think I missed the point. Can you say what you just said in 2 or 3 sentences. They call that "articulate" where I come from.

03-12-04 05:03 PM
Factory Girl Rock & roll is being cool set to music. You either got it or you don't.

You can't fake it.
03-12-04 05:09 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Rock & roll is being cool set to music. You either got it or you don't.
You can't fake it.

Don't kid youself sister, faking it may be the easiest part.

03-12-04 05:11 PM
Factory Girl Not true, Motels. Coolness (i.e., aloof disregard of the society's norm) must be real.

PS. Jet Monday night!!
03-12-04 05:20 PM
Sir Stonesalot No Mr. Motels I can't boil that down into two sentences. Rock & Roll is far to complex for that. That was kinda the whole point of that post.

Why do I even bother.

If you don't know, you ain't never gonna know. So I guess there is no point in tryin' to explain it.
03-12-04 05:27 PM
Bloozehound This whole Rock VS. Rock n’ Roll debate started over a movie.

Some of us mentioned we thought the Stones should've been mentioned in it.

Some puritans took offense to this & tried to cure our wicked souls and cleanse us of our blasphemous thoughts.

Honestly I don't give a fat shit anymore.

Only thing I’ve learned from it is that it’s a true case of “for each their own”

We all pretty much like the same thing, but some wanna name it differently.

But on a positive note I'm going to a true blues concert tonite...

ta ta
03-12-04 05:29 PM
Factory Girl Stonesy, do you like Johnny Winter? He was ROCK& ROLL.

Brilliant & bluesy guitar player from Texas.
03-12-04 06:20 PM
polksalad69
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Stonesy, do you like Johnny Winter? He was ROCK& ROLL.

Brilliant & bluesy guitar player from Texas.

Yes JW is an albeeno bluesman that can also play rock. I dig it.
03-12-04 06:55 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
polksalad69 wrote:
Yes JW is an albeeno bluesman that can also play rock. I dig it.

Johnny Winter is a Living Legend. Johnny Winter is God. Johnny Winter is Eternal. Johnny Winter is probably the best slide guitar player this side of Hell. Sadly he's going down slow.
03-12-04 07:04 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
jb wrote:
jOEY, YOU OUT DID YOURSELF!!!

he did didn't he

joey , it's now official, you are a genius but now that's been acknowledged i trust you will not become too serious

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
03-13-04 12:56 AM
polksalad69
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Johnny Winter is a Living Legend. Johnny Winter is God. Johnny Winter is Eternal. Johnny Winter is probably the best slide guitar player this side of Hell. Sadly he's going down slow.

He has health problems. Wow greatest slide player. Never thought of him that way, will have to listen to some, I've got a boot of him and Muddy here somewhere.
Page: 1 2 3

BEST VIEWED HIGH