ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

City Hall, Salisbury , UK - 17th January 1964
© 1964 The Associated Newspapers Archuves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: School Of Rock (NSC/SSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
03-09-04 05:55 PM
Ben Gurion
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

If you were uncaked, you would cease to be.

shhhhh.....

Free Martha!

03-09-04 06:07 PM
Nasty Habits Way to go Sir Stones! Now Bloozehound won't play with me any more!

I wanted more stuff about looking up "Stones" in the dictionary!

Somebody wake up Joey.

03-09-04 06:16 PM
Sway I agree about the Rock vs Rock and Roll stuff. Great read.
03-09-04 10:27 PM
Bloozehound One more thing...

I saw that Simpson's episode that Mick n Keith guest star on.

They operate a Rolling Stone's Rock n' Roll Fantasy Camp.

The first night Homer and the other campers arrive Keith stands on a stage and asks them what they're there for.

"TO ROCK!" they all reply.

Keith says, "thats right we're here TO ROCK!!" and behind him this big sign lights up that says "R O C K."

yup yup

"To rock" he said...

03-09-04 11:12 PM
Sir Stonesalot First...since all I know of Howard Stern is his TV show on E!, how can I speak on anything else. And, Hr. Houndcake, TV WAS relevant to the discussion. The FCC regulates TV too., and are trying to kick the door in so they can regulate cable and satellite. So from where I sit, my comments were completely relevant. Change the channel, change the station...same thing.

However bringing that up in THIS thread is silly, and completely off topic.

I'm glad you brought up the Simpson's episode.

Have you ever heard the word PARODY? They were making fun of "rock" music cliche's. I have seen the Stones 11 times, and have around 400 shows on disc...I don't recall Mick ever saying anything as stupid as "Awlraht *insert any city here*, are you ready to ROCK!". Oooop...I take that back...I heard him sing the lyric "Sharks will cry."...that's pretty stupid.

Frontmen for by God Rock N Roll bands do not say such things as "Are you ready to ROCK!" unless they are trying to get a laugh.

Using a cartoon that was nothing more than a lampoon to validate your point is pretty lame dude. No wonder you don't wanna play with us anymore if that is all the better you can do.

How about this, straight from the horses mouth, and onto an official merch. T-shirt...."50% Rock 50% Roll". Oh look, there it is again on one of my Voodoo Lounge Tour posters..."50% Rock 50% Roll".

If you just classify the Stones as simply a "Rock" band...you are missing half of what the Stones are. The Stones are not complete without the rollllllll baby!

03-09-04 11:40 PM
Bloozehound Don't be a sore loser, the wars over.

Rocks such a loose term to try and classify.

Bigger than me and you, for sure.

I agreed that the Stones could be considered BOTH rock AND/OR rock n' roll.

The Stone's inspiration has rubbed off on alot of rockers, as well as rock n rollers.

Jack Black HIMSELF wanted the Stones in his movie cuz he felt they were RELEVANT to the topic.

You experts need to take it up with Jack Black, cuz it's over here, nothing more to discuss.

Bloozehound 1

Naysayers 0 <===ahhhh

[Edited by Bloozehound]
03-10-04 12:20 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

Bloozehound 1

Naysayers 0 <===ahhhh

well i thought it was discussion not a competetion however i will say:

bollocks mate - you're fooling yourself

"little emoticon thingy shaking it's head in bemused disbelief"

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
03-10-04 08:40 AM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah, you believe whatever you like Bloozehound. Bush Jr. still thinks he was right about WMDs in Iraq too.

03-10-04 09:37 AM
Joey " So spaketh Joey...the Pat Boone of posting. "

YOU MAKE JOEY CRY LIKE BABY !!!!!!!

Then again , at least I am not like Maxy , the " It's Hard " , " Faces Dances " and " Dirty Work " of posting !

{ CA - RACK } !!!!!

Home Run by Jo Jo !

Spaketh !
03-10-04 10:31 AM
Nasty Habits Hey Bloozehammer!

The bands I like that you don't are better than the bands that you like that I don't!

03-10-04 10:59 AM
caro "When in trouble, deny all terms and definitions!!"
03-10-04 11:07 AM
jb The fact that the movie failed to in any way credit the Stones clearly evidences a deep hatred by todays youth towards them. Unlike Led Zep, The Beatles and even Aerosmith, the Stones are thought of as dinosaurs with no relevance to todays youth(whom I might add are the worst generation this country has ever produced).
03-10-04 11:12 AM
Nasty Habits EXACTLY my point, jb! If the kids don't like it it MUST be rock and roll!

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
03-10-04 12:38 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
SIA did a fine job of guessing or grasping my quick and dirty distinction between rock and roll music and rock music, as the terms have naturally worked themselves out over the years, pretty right on. Rock and roll is a hybrid of blues, rhythm and blues, country music, New Orleans piano rhythms and all the other good stuff that makes life worth living.

Rock sucks. Rock and Roll Rules!

You're the man, Nasty!!!!! I knew it, just couldn't articulate it. BTW whats all that other "good stuff"?
03-10-04 12:57 PM
Nasty Habits Jug Bands, string bands, dixieland, Ellington, southern soul, western swing, street corner doo wop, gospel music, musical saws, Sinatra swingin', Crosby crooin', appalacian old time songs, African drumming, mariachi bands, moonshine, hip shakin', girls kissing other girls, cool cars, monster movies, good comic books and an absolutely capitol "J"!

03-10-04 01:12 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Jug Bands, string bands, dixieland, Ellington, southern soul, western swing, street corner doo wop, gospel music, musical saws, Sinatra swingin', Crosby crooin', appalacian old time songs... etc

Yeah! When's the last time you heard of over-produced musical saws? LOL. I suppose we could add moonshine to that list? I always kind of got off on Portuguese folk music and Brazilian carnaval tunes myself.
03-10-04 01:44 PM
Nasty Habits Calypso, reggae, ska, rock steady, manic 50s jazz "influenced" sountrack music, voodoo, and thrift stores!
03-10-04 02:06 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
..and thrift stores!

Thrift stores!!!!!! There're definitely my necktie connection. Those people who hate wearing neckties have never been to a "thrift store". LOL. In fact I always hated to having to wear a tie until a friend of mine was dragging me around thrift stores about 10 years ago. It was like an archaeolgical expedition. But it did open my eyes (sort or) to the joys of a one of a kind necktie, if such a creature does actually exist.
03-10-04 03:33 PM
Sir Stonesalot >The fact that the movie failed to in any way credit the Stones clearly evidences a deep hatred by todays youth towards them.<

Actually, it had more to do with the producers not being able to come up with enough money to purchase the rights to the Stone's music. The movie studio simply was not willing to spend what the Stones were asking for.

It had absolutely ZERO to do with "today's youth".

Don't you find it completely bizzare that a movie starring Jack Black could not afford to purchase the rights to songs written by Jack Black even though he offered his songwriting services for free? Those long term, iron clad record deals have a way of coming back to bite you in the ass.
03-10-04 03:35 PM
jb
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>The fact that the movie failed to in any way credit the Stones clearly evidences a deep hatred by todays youth towards them.<

Actually, it had more to do with the producers not being able to come up with enough money to purchase the rights to the Stone's music. The movie studio simply was not willing to spend what the Stones were asking for.

It had absolutely ZERO to do with "today's youth".

Don't you find it completely bizzare that a movie starring Jack Black could not afford to purchase the rights to songs written by Jack Black even though he offered his songwriting services for free? Those long term, iron clad record deals have a way of coming back to bite you in the ass.

I don't know SS, but to me there is a clear lack of respect for the Stones as compared to other bands. Maybe I am being too sensitive, but it seems time and time again, they just don't get the credit they deserve as the greatest force in rock-n-roll music from the 60's until today.
[Edited by jb]
03-10-04 03:46 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

It reminds me of the time that John Fogerty got sued for writing a song that sounded too much like a John Fogerty song.
03-10-04 03:49 PM
Joey
Josh ..............................................

Man you are REALLY taking a beating over at the other board . I can't belive all of the " AntiSemtitic Flavor " that is immersed in some of those posts over there .......................

Don 't worry , your young Joey is back and to the rescue .

" Stones Rule !!! ......... You Bastards ! "

J- J- J- J- Je- Je- Jercee !

03-10-04 03:51 PM
Sir Stonesalot >I don't know SS, but to me there is a clear lack of respect for the Stones as compared to other bands. Maybe I am being too sensitive, but it seems time and time again, they just don't get the credit they deserve as the greatest force in rock-n-roll music from the 60's until today.<

By who?

Blink 182? NSync? John Mayer? Beyonce? MTV? Spin Magazine?

Why do you care? You know that the Stones are the bomb. At the end of the day...what else matters?
03-10-04 04:12 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
By who?

Blink 182? NSync? John Mayer? Beyonce? MTV? Spin Magazine?

Sir Stonesalot & Nasty Habits should be added to the list of those who don't support or acknowledge the Stones, since they don't seem to want to support the Stones on all fronts either.

In fact they steadfastly refuse to acknowledge the Stone's relevance in a movie about Rock music.

A movie that could introduce the Stones to a new generation of fans that possibly doesn't appreciate them.

It never hurts to have your band lionized in a movie that is going to be seen by millions of little rockers.

[Edited by Bloozehound]
03-10-04 04:44 PM
Nasty Habits Blooze Traveler, I do more for the Rolling Stones in a day than you've done your whole life.

You got to walk it like you talk it or you'll lose that beat!

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
03-10-04 05:42 PM
Bloozehound LOL
03-10-04 07:27 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

Sir Stonesalot & Nasty Habits should be added to the list of those who don't support or acknowledge the Stones, since they don't seem to want to support the Stones on all fronts either.

Hmmmmnnnnnnnn. I'd have to think about that one for awhile.

03-10-04 07:51 PM
Sir Stonesalot >Sir Stonesalot & Nasty Habits should be added to the list of those who don't support or acknowledge the Stones, since they don't seem to want to support the Stones on all fronts either.<

Are you retarded or did you go to a special school to get that way?

Are you trying to imply that being anything less than a drooling sycophant means that I don't "support" or "acknowledge" the Rolling Stones as one of the most important ROCK AND ROLL bands on this planet?

>In fact they steadfastly refuse to acknowledge the Stone's relevance in a movie about Rock music.<

You said it...a Rock movie, not a Rock and Roll movie.

All I did was try to explain to you that there is a significant difference between mere Rock, and Rock & Roll. If you want to keep on pretending that there is no difference, be my guest.

I also explained to you WHY the Rolling Stones were not included. YOU were the one who was spewing all the righteous indignation at the Stones being left out. Funny, turns out the Stones didn't really want to be included.

>A movie that could introduce the Stones to a new generation of fans that possibly doesn't appreciate them.<

So you think a snippet of a song in a Jack Black movie would do such a thing? I took my son to see School Of Rock. I also took him to see the Stones. Wanna make a wager on which one he's gonna remember when he's 25?

I'd say that Brittany Spears did more to introduce the Stones to the next generation with her gawdawful cover of Satisfaction, than having a sound bite in a minor Hollywood kiddie flick.

>It never hurts to have your band lionized in a movie that is going to be seen by millions of little rockers.<

It does when you trot your band out with a bunch of hacks like the Doors, Rush, and Yes. Do you really lump the Stones in with that trash??? I respect the Rolling Stones way too much to have their hard won rep tarnished by being asscociated with a bunch of hacks like that. And if you think that wasn't one of the motivating reasons behind the Stones asking for the stars and the moon for licensing rights, then you are a bigger nitwit than I already think you are!

03-10-04 08:19 PM
Bloozehound SS

Just joking guy.

Tounge-in-cheek.

I think Nasty sensed it.

Lighten up.
03-10-04 09:18 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah, sure you were.

You went into a battle of wits unarmed, got your ass handed to you on a plate, and now want to hide behind the ol' "I was only joking!" ploy?

Yeesh.

Dude, I was born at night....but it wasn't last night.
Page: 1 2 3 4

BEST VIEWED HIGH