ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

City Hall, Salisbury , UK - 17th January 1964
© 1964 The Associated Newspapers Archuves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: School Of Rock (NSC/SSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
03-05-04 09:05 PM
Soul Survivor I saw this movie when it came out, and yesterday I bought the DVD. Overall, not a bad movie. Good to see a rock and roll based movie. I was slightly upset that there was no mention of the Stones. However, I did notice on the scene where Jack Black writes all the rock genres with band names underneath, for the 'British Invasion' section you can see 'Rolling Stones'. So, if you saw this movie, what did you think?
03-07-04 04:44 AM
Bloozehound I was personally appalled at the fact that a manic wanna be rocker never ever mentioned the Stones once in all of his musings about rock music.
How he could overlook such an important influence and musical power house is beyond me.
He should have been ranting and raving about Keef & the boys until he foamed at the mouth.
So unrealistic...bah Hollywood.
03-07-04 12:53 PM
Nasty Habits The movie is called SCHOOL OF ROCK, not SCHOOL OF ROCK AND ROLL.

BIG difference.

03-07-04 02:50 PM
Bloozehound So the Stones aren't considered rock artists now, huh?

cough, cough bs
03-07-04 02:54 PM
Nasty Habits Bloozehound, they're the world's greatest rock and roll band.

Rock and roll trumps rock every day of the week.

03-07-04 03:13 PM
Bloozehound Have u even seen the flick yet?
i think wer splittin' hairs here
the Stones are rock n' rollers
BUT they can definately be refered to as rockers too.
hell i can think of maybe 4 or 5 other music titles you could classify them by.
Now if the movie was called "School of Metal"
i think we'd both agree that the Stones aren't metal.
They should've gotten an honorable mention in "School of Rock"
this is the stupidest arguement i've ever seen lol
03-07-04 03:25 PM
Nasty Habits I find it hilarious that you are declaring a movie that has a substitute teacher with no credentials leading a band of, what, third graders, to some kind of "spiritual" victory at a Battle of the Bands unrealistic Hollywood whatever because it does not mention the Rolling Stones.

Did YOU watch the movie? The band's song forms were not metal, but they are pretty much based in 1970s AOR "rock". Not rock and roll. He gives the kids Yes and Rush CDs to study. His only references to the 60s are such "rockist" (as opposed to rock and roll) bullshit as the Doors and Sunshine of Your Love. This kind of nonsense has nothing to do with the Rolling Stones. Obviously Jack Black's character is coming from a post-Stones touchstone. The "ideal" for him is Led Zeppelin!

My initial response was a joke, but since you have no sense of humor I see why you didn't appreciate it. Or School of Rock.

Chuck Berry is never mentioned once in the movie either!
Does this offend your "blooze" sensibilities, too?
And where's Dylan?

OH THE SHAME!
03-07-04 05:25 PM
Bloozehound "His only references to the 60s are such "rockist" (as opposed to rock and roll) bullshit as the Doors and Sunshine of Your Love. This kind of nonsense has nothing to do with the Rolling Stones....The "ideal" for him is Led Zeppelin!"

WTF are you talking about The Doors & Cream “rockist” & bullshit!?!
& this has nothing to do with the Rolling Stones?
Holy Shit
Those 3 were some of the archetype leaders of a heavier sound of blues-drenched, psychedelic inspired, rock-n-roll commonly referred to as rock music, the Stones were a seriously critical part of this archetypical rock sound. Seventies era rockers like RUSH, Black Sabbath & Led Zeppelin ect...were only continuing on the same path set forth by these leaders the previous decade. You honestly have no real comprehension or appreciation of music history before the 70’s.
The term rock isn’t something coined in the 70’s for bands like led zeppelin, it had been around since the 60’s and used to describe groups who had taken the fundamentals of basic 50’s era, rock-n-roll set forth by people like Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, Fats Domino Jerry Lee Lewis to name a few and take this music onto the next level. Groups like “the kinks” “the who” “jimi Hendrix” and the Rolling Stones could all be classified as rock music.
I get the feeling you are confusing 70’s metal with hard rock.
But the Stones could definitely be considered hard rock, or rock or whatever pronoun you want to use along with the word “rock”.

Let’s see you could classify the Rolling Stones as…..
Blues Rock
Classic Rock
Pop Rock
British Invasion
British Invasion Rock
British Invasion Blues-Rock
Rock n Roll
Hard Rock
Album Rock
Rock
Interesting, sure is a lot of “rock” associated with The Stones.
Hmmm…
Even the name Rolling Stones
isn’t a “stone” a “rock”?
u might want to double check your dictionary on that….

“My initial response was a joke, but since you have no sense of humor I see why you didn't appreciate it. Or School of Rock.”

Pffft you're obviously a serious Jack Black fan with no sense of humor. My original post was meant to be humorous & it’s obvious some thin skinned jack black fan can’t take a little ribbing as far as his boy’s crummy movie is concerned. If jack doesn’t want to give credit where credit is due then he’s obviously no better off than his #1 fans are. You guys should have named your movie “School of 70’s Rock” or “School Of Heavy Metal” then...maybe you wouldn’t have to face up to the Stones, but then again weren’t they still “rocking on” well into the 70’s hmmm….

“Chuck Berry is never mentioned once in the movie either!
Does this offend your "blooze" sensibilities, too?
And where's Dylan?”

Don’t speak for me. All I said was Stones should’ve been mentioned and I’m right. Chuck Berry is definitely a “rock n roll” artist, not a rock artist.

“THE SHAME!”

The only shame I see is a jack black fan on a rolling stones board that can’t get his facts straight and seems obviously clueless about musical history. I mean u referred to The Doors and Cream as “bullshit” and “rockist”
Phewwwww wtf-ever

BTW
Don’t go edit ur post, but in the Decembers Children thread did I read your post to say “I was rockin' "Talkin' Bout You" just 'tother day”
Is that a typo?
Shouldn’t you’ve a been “...rockin & rolling "Talkin' Bout You" just 'tother day”
You’re splitting hairs in a ridiculous way.
And The Stones should’ve had an honorable mention in School of Rock
No more said.

[Edited by Bloozehound]
03-07-04 07:26 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

You honestly have no real comprehension or appreciation of music history before the 70’s.

The only shame I see is a jack black fan on a rolling stones board that can’t get his facts straight and seems obviously clueless about musical history. I mean u referred to The Doors and Cream as “bullshit” and “rockist”

well bloozehound - not that nasty needs me to speak for him - but your suggestion that Mr.Habits is "obviously clueless about musical history" is so wide of the mark it's laughable - if there is one person on this board who really knows what he's talking about (and also knows how to say it) it's nasty

maybe all that means is that his preferences and prejudices are the same as mine but there you go

Nasty is right - (IMHO) the Doors are the most overated bunch of crap i've ever heard

as he said the Stones are "Rock and Roll" and are defineitely not what i'd call "rock" and definitely not 'hard rock" - shit, that's why i'm such a big fan - most of it comes down to the fact that they have a jazz drummer who knows how to swing - cf. the "rock" of Led Zepplin and bonham's leaden beats

i haven't seen the movie but i can just about anticipate most of it just going by what i've read and heard already and nasty's comment that led zepplin represent the "ideal" comes as no surprise

03-07-04 07:58 PM
Bloozehound just out of curiosity could either of u possibly define your concept of what "rock music" is and maybe list some examples?
Cuz i don't think i've ever heard this "rock" music u 2 "experts" speak of...
03-07-04 10:51 PM
stonedinaustralia well i don't profess to be an expert just an enthusiast

as to defining "rock" music - well that is a big can of worms but i'll attempt a definition, if possible:

"music predominantly featuring drums and bass and electric guitars which developed from the original "rock and roll" music of the '50's (Berry, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis)but which has developded to the point where any connection with the African/American contribution to "rock and roll" (which i define as a hybrid of Negroe blues and Country music)has either been lost or ignored or obliterated (i.e. the "roll" is gone): some examples:

the aforesaid Doors

Emerson Lake and Palmer (prog rock anyone??)

Meatloaf

Deep Purple

Queen

How's that??

03-08-04 05:55 AM
Zack Gee, I just thought it was a cute little movie. I took no offense at the lack of a Stones mention, although the thought did occur as I watched. It appeared to me the guy was trying to channel AC/DC more than any other group. The British school-kit getup at the end gave that one away.

03-08-04 11:15 AM
Nasty Habits Bloozehound, you're cute.

I don't need some Hollywood movie to validate my sense of rock and roll history to the point where I'd blow a gasket over whether or not the Rolling Stones get mentioned in a film about rock or not.

SIA did a fine job of guessing or grasping my quick and dirty distinction between rock and roll music and rock music, as the terms have naturally worked themselves out over the years, pretty right on. Rock and roll is a hybrid of blues, rhythm and blues, country music, New Orleans piano rhythms and all the other good stuff that makes life worth living.

Rock sucks. Rock and Roll Rules!

And as far as rockin' to Chuck Berry, who put out an album called "rockin' at the hops" back in the 50s, he said, "just let me hear some of that rock and roll music". And Zeppelin, they admit that it's been a long time since they rock and rolled. Which they never did. Which is why they SUCK.

You can be rockin' but it's awful hard to be rockin' to rock. You can rock to the rock, but you can't be rockin' to it. I'm sure you love to raise a fist in the air at a concert, but do you ever dance?

And don't put down the Kinks by calling them a rock band. That's just lame.

And as far as all those genres you took the trouble to list, baby, --- "It's Only Rock and Roll".

And as far as the "Stones" part of the Rolling Stones goes, gee, what's that word in FRONT of the word stones? What does that mean? Is Rolling, perhaps, another word for . . . ROLL?

Hey, what's that Keith quote? "I'm sick to death of rock? I want some more of the roll?"

Oh, I know you want it, but you ain't gonna get it. I ain't gonna give you none.

PS --

I'm with you, Zack!

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
03-08-04 05:12 PM
Bloozehound Look Jack Black Fan #1...
FACT:
The only thing I said was you guys should have given an honorable mention to The Rolling Stones in "School of Rock" since they're just as much of a "rock" band as any others you mentioned AC/DC, Led Zepplin, Doors, Cream ect...No one said Jack Black was trying to BE THE STONES.

OPINION:
I know Jack Black fans are extremely touchy and opinionated. Everything in life has to be so nicely catagorized & pigionholed. It's obvious their own personal feelings obscure the facts, not to mention if they don't enjoy something then they find the need to demonize it, assume it's wrong for anyone else to enjoy or even recognize.

FACT:
Opinions is opinions and u know what they say about them.
Whether Jack Black Fans # 1 & 2 want to accept it or not the Stones are "rockers" & a "rock band" just a well as a "rock n roll band" and should have been mentioned in the movie.

03-08-04 05:16 PM
Joey
" I know Jack Black fans are extremely touchy and opinionated. Everything in life has to be so nicely catagorized & pigionholed. It's obvious their own personal feelings obscure the facts, not to mention if they don't enjoy something then they find the need to demonize it, assume it's wrong for anyone else to enjoy or even recognize. "

Unbelievable

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

S- S- S- S- S- Sleeping Joe Sea Scroll !

03-08-04 05:25 PM
LadyJane
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

OPINION:
I know Jack Black fans are extremely touchy and opinionated. Everything in life has to be so nicely catagorized & pigionholed. It's obvious their own personal feelings obscure the facts, not to mention if they don't enjoy something then they find the need to demonize it, assume it's wrong for anyone else to enjoy or even recognize.

Hey Bloozehound....when you attack two of RO finest...Nasty Habits and SIA....you attack all of us!!

LJ.

03-08-04 05:27 PM
Nasty Habits Why you want to be hatin' on the Stones by callin' 'em something stupid as a "Rock Band"?

You don't get it, blooze brudda!

Lata, hata!

03-08-04 05:30 PM
Bloozehound LMFAO
circle the wagons...
Nobodies attacking anyone.
You can make your little faces all day, but your taking it the wrong way.
We're having a discussion on music.
Hell it even relates to the Rolling Stones.
Isn't that what this board is for?
I for one am not angry, or felt I have "attacked" anyone in a way that they should feel "attacked" or angry.
I've found it entertaining and challenging to make my point.

[Edited by Bloozehound]
03-08-04 05:49 PM
caro I think I'm with Bloozehound on this one. I do see a difference between rock and rock'n'roll, and I usually prefer the rock'n'roll stuff. But I don't think you can draw a clear line between the two. And some of the Stones' stuff I would definitely consider as rock. Nasty, you're always defending Hold Back : would you really say this is rock'n'roll? I mean, by your on definition, would you dance to Hold Back? I wouldn't. It doesn't have much to do with the quality of the song, simply I think some stuff on Dirty Work or Tattoo tends more towards rock. It's a little less light-footed, less intricate rythms, etc.

On a side note, I'm very happy that at least 2 people here consider the Doors as overrated!
03-08-04 06:04 PM
Joey " On a side note, I'm very happy that at least 2 people here consider the Doors as overrated! "

Make That Three !!!!!

S- S- S- S- S- Stuttering Jack !

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJACKO !
03-08-04 06:43 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Joey wrote:

Make That Three !!!!!

Joey, you are much loved in the Antipodes (esp. in Melbourne - home of the Corgi)
03-08-04 06:49 PM
Bloozehound The Doors are one of the greatest bands ever
03-09-04 10:27 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
The Doors are one of the greatest bands ever

You make Nasty say -- HUH?!?!?

The Stones -- TOO BLACK TOO STRONG TOO REAL for ROCK!

Egon -- the Rolling Stones ooze rock and roll from their pores. It is in their blood. It is in their cells. It is the language that they speak. They are the language itself. Dirty Work as a whole is so rock and roll most people can't take it!

As surely as the Memphis Jug Band are a rock and roll band, so too the Rolling Stones!

I don't care about history!
That's not where I wanna be!
I just wanna have some kicks!
I just wanna get some chicks!

03-09-04 10:30 AM
jb Ninea abs shae monkey? And you?
03-09-04 10:42 AM
Nasty Habits I dunno, JB, my monkey is apparently a big Jack Black fan!

Do you like Cream?

Me like CREEM!

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
03-09-04 04:34 PM
Sir Stonesalot First of all...there is a very definate line between the world of "Rock" and the world of "Rock and Roll". The Rolling Stones are first and foremost a "Rock and Roll" band. In fact, they are the "World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band". Rock and Roll ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS trumps mere Rock. This is why the Rolling Stones are NOT a mere Rock band. They are far far far more more more.

Quite honestly, I'm not sure that as a card carrying member of the C10, that I am allowed to associate with people who cannot see the difference.

People who spell Blues(notice the capital B) as "blooze" should be continuously smacked in der noggin mit eine halibut.

The Doors(especially Jim Morrison) blow great chunks of cretinous spew. I am personally insulted that anyone would dare include the venerable Rolling Stones in the same class as the scum kings known as the Doors.

Lastly, and most importantly....There was no mention of the Stones in "School Of Rock" because.....The Rolling Stones said NO. Jack Black is a huge Stones fan, and lists Exile as his 2nd fave album, behind his own Tenacious D album. Jack and Mike White wanted to use some Stones music, but could not afford the asking price. I think Jack was quoted as saying "We couldn't afford the 800 quadrillionzillionjillion dollars that the Stones were asking for." At least that is what he told Entertainment Magazine. In fact, rights to the music used in the movie made up over a third of the entire production cost. The brief snippet of "The Immigrant Song" used in the movie cost 1.2 million. The studio refused to cough up the dough for a Stones song.

Also, in an ironic twist, Epic would not release any Jack Black compositions for the movie. Jack could not even write a song and give it away for free. Jack has an iron-clad contract that states that all of his songs must go through Epic...and Epic told the movie studio to go pound sand. THAT is the funniest part of the movie.

So...Mr. "blooze"dawg...perhaps you should take the time to investigate these things before you shoot off your uneducated gob.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled program already in progress.
03-09-04 04:41 PM
Joey " First of all...there is a very definate line between the world of "Rock" and the world of "Rock and Roll"."

" The Rolling Stones are first and foremost a "Rock and Roll" band. In fact, they are the "World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band". Rock and Roll ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS trumps mere Rock. This is why the Rolling Stones are NOT a mere Rock band. They are far far far more more more. "

" Quite honestly, I'm not sure that as a card carrying member of the C10, that I am allowed to associate with people who cannot see the difference. "

" People who spell Blues(notice the capital B) as "blooze" should be continuously smacked in der noggin mit eine halibut. "

" The Doors(especially Jim Morrison) blow great chunks of cretinous spew. I am personally insulted that anyone would dare include the venerable Rolling Stones in the same class as the scum kings known as the Doors. "

" Lastly, and most importantly....There was no mention of the Stones in "School Of Rock" because.....The Rolling Stones said NO. Jack Black is a huge Stones fan, and lists Exile as his 2nd fave album, behind his own Tenacious D album. Jack and Mike White wanted to use some Stones music, but could not afford the asking price. I think Jack was quoted as saying "We couldn't afford the 800 quadrillionzillionjillion dollars that the Stones were asking for." At least that is what he told Entertainment Magazine. In fact, rights to the music used in the movie made up over a third of the entire production cost. The brief snippet of "The Immigrant Song" used in the movie cost 1.2 million. The studio refused to cough up the dough for a Stones song. "

Incredible

" Also, in an ironic twist, Epic would not release any Jack Black compositions for the movie. Jack could not even write a song and give it away for free. Jack has an iron-clad contract that states that all of his songs must go through Epic...and Epic told the movie studio to go pound sand. THAT is the funniest part of the movie.

So...Mr. "blooze"dawg...perhaps you should take the time to investigate these things before you shoot off your uneducated gob.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled program already in progress. "

Snoozy ( Sleepy ?!?! )

[Edited by Joey]
03-09-04 05:01 PM
Bloozehound LMFAO!!!

Thanks for the info SS.

And as any observant reader will now notice...

I WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG!!!

Even the mighty JACK BLACK himself knew they deserved to be in his movie, but alas they were TOOOO EXPENSIVE

Maybe you should take some of your own advice like getting your facts straight & think about what you post before you post it.

I mean...in the Howard Stern, FCC thread...you advise people who don't like Stern to change their TELEVISION channels in a thread thats debating Howard Sterns RADIO program getting banned.
Then you admit you don't know people listen to the radio anymore, nevertheless Sterns radio program? That's his main deal, he's nationaly syndicated!
LOL
No more from me on this topic, I'm done
peace

[Edited by Bloozehound]
03-09-04 05:14 PM
Joey

" I WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG!!! "

" Even the mighty JACK BLACK himself knew they deserved to be in his movie, but alas they were TOOOO EXPENSIVE "

Unbelievable

" Maybe you should take some of your own advice like getting your facts straight & think about what you post before you post it. "

" I mean...in the Howard Stern, FCC thread...you advise people who don't like Stern to change their TELEVISION channels in a thread thats debating Howard Sterns RADIO program getting banned. "

" Then you admit you don't know people listen to the radio anymore, nevertheless Sterns radio program? That's his main deal, he's nationaly syndicated!
LOL
No more from me on this topic, I'm done
peace "

Why ?!?! WHY ?!?!

Stuttering Joe !

03-09-04 05:40 PM
Sir Stonesalot So spaketh Joey...the Pat Boone of posting.

Joey, you can never be uncaked....why?

Because you are all shit.

If you were uncaked, you would cease to be.
Page: 1 2 3 4

BEST VIEWED HIGH