ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Radio City Music Hall, New York City, March 14, 2006
© Throbby... thanks!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Gallagher attacks Stones and U2 Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
10th March 2006 11:51 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

Yes, good observation. Its odd, what I mean is, as you say they can sell out MSG, but the album wasn't as big as Coldplay's last one in America. I think that the style of the music isn't perhaps orientated towards the current musical trends in America, i.e, rock 'n' roll is pretty much dead. The Britpop tag may also be an obstacle for them now too. However, the new album isn't really like the older stuff; Its a lot more mature and inventive than recent efforts. They are certainly not a 'middle America' band like u2 or the Stones.

You say that their music isn't as orientated towards the current musical trends in America; yet, you could say the same thing is happening to them in the UK. Rock n' roll is FAR from dead over here, but Oasis very much stand alone in their style compared to their current peers. Bands like Coldplay sell more records and in the circuit, Oasis currently fair poorly against the other "newer acts". They seem to get nominated for less and less awards and nearly always come off second best. They still sell out arenas and stadiums here, but as others will tell you, it's all based on nostalgia. People go to hear Wonferwall, Don't Look Back In Anger or Live Forever, as apposed to recent hits like The Lyla or The Importance Of Being Idle.

Actually, in comparison to today's cool and trendy set, I'd say Oasis's music is fairly mainstream and that could be the reason for their tendency to be overlooked at the NME awards. With al that in mind, though, Oasis are cited by many of today's bands as being a major influence. Unfortunately for the band though, it's for their work from a decade ago, not for their recent efforts and in 10 years time, the situation won't have changed.

10th March 2006 12:02 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

I love that you added my little quote from yesterday to your sig, now it can live on forever. Stay Strong, Stoned and Beautiful, from Kentucky to France my brotha...

Thanks a lot mate...
2 songs to wish you a good week end!!

http://s48.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2PBJFK40T7S492YAWSSAEH6IAC

A sencond one, homemade, scuse the shitty sound ans the shitty sax player that was fired just after this session

http://s42.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3AFPTXI7LKXXW0HMYALQFYVGOC

cheers to Kentuky!
JU
10th March 2006 12:46 PM
Break The Spell Thanks Ju, have a killer weekend!!
10th March 2006 12:49 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

I see your point, but respectfully disagree on most points. Use other examples as support to my theory. THe stones don't need to do anything shocking or controversial to create a buzz....but yet Sweet Neo-Con is on ABB and many interviews were given before the release of the album. If "Don't Stop" was in its place instead of Neocon, none of that publicity would have happened. NO matter how famous, or infamous musicians are, there are two aspects of them that wants to keep them in conversation: The business side, all publicity is good publicity (when was the last time a positive story was written about Paris Hilton, yet she continues to get tv deals, movie roles, and other undeserved, sorry joey, perks) and the need to feed the ego. There are very few successful people in the public limelight that don't have a very strong ego (Charlie Watts seems to be one of the few)

Arghh! You've got me!

I honestly can't really argue against ANY of your points!

Actually, to get back to the original article, it seems that Ten Thousand Motels has skipped what the original headline was REALLY about. Yeah, Liam made a comment about disliking the Stones and U2, but his gripe and the headline was about him reckoning that DAVID BECKHAM bats for the other side!! I think his other comments were more of a side-note. I guess that when he starts ranting, he feels obliged to tail of a slag off anything that enters that minuscule mind of his!

10th March 2006 01:16 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Arghh! You've got me!

I honestly can't really argue against ANY of your points!

Actually, to get back to the original article, it seems that Ten Thousand Motels has skipped what the original headline was REALLY about. Yeah, Liam made a comment about disliking the Stones and U2, but his gripe and the headline was about him reckoning that DAVID BECKHAM bats for the other side!! I think his other comments were more of a side-note. I guess that when he starts ranting, he feels obliged to tail of a slag off anything that enters that minuscule mind of his!

I also agree with your post as well!
10th March 2006 01:40 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

I also agree with your post as well!

I'm glad we agree, but just to make sure there are no disagreements in the future, please could you put me on your list of people you'd like to drink with. Others here can vouch for me!
10th March 2006 01:41 PM
pdog Were these comments made when getting high on cocaine or when coming down from cocaine?
10th March 2006 02:33 PM
pdog
quote:
Joey wrote:

Funny !!!

That is some fantastic postin' right there .....

.... you's be a P.O.S.T.I.N. !!!!!

I keep it real...Yo!!!
and You?
10th March 2006 02:41 PM
Joey
quote:
pdog wrote:

I keep it real...Yo!!!
and You?

Me ............................ ?!?!?!

Hell , my material is now drier than Phyllis Diller's powerful and mighty Cha CHE !!!!!!!!
|
|
V

10th March 2006 03:16 PM
Jumping Jack Zak will need to be decontaminated, reprogramed, and rehabilitated before I spend ticket money later this year. I only hope he is not pregnant due to this alien abduction and repeated anal raping!!!
10th March 2006 03:32 PM
Joey
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Zak will need to be decontaminated, reprogramed, and rehabilitated before I spend ticket money later this year. I only hope he is not pregnant due to this alien abduction and repeated anal raping!!!

Jumping Jack .............................

Have you seen how many gigs THE WHO are performing this summer ?!?!?! .......... Frig !!!!!!!

Every single day they put up another one over at Pollstar.com ......by the time Pete & Rog. & Zak & Pino reach the states Roger's voice will be SHOT to FRIG !!!!!

Word .

Jerscee'
10th March 2006 03:39 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Zak will need to be decontaminated, reprogramed, and rehabilitated before I spend ticket money later this year. I only hope he is not pregnant due to this alien abduction and repeated anal raping!!!

Zak Starkey is just a hired hand. Who is to say he'll be drumming with The Who on their upcoming tour? He snubbed them at Live 8 in order to perform with Oasis in Manchester and I'd guess that if Oasis were gigging next year, he’d be with them again. Roger and peado Pete may have to look elsewhere. In my opinion, he works great with both bands and Oasis like him so much, they've even stuck him in their last few videos. Unlike The Who, I think Oasis NEED a permanent member on drums, so maybe Zak is the answer.
10th March 2006 03:40 PM
Joey
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Zak Starkey is just a hired hand. Who is to say he'll be drumming with The Who on their upcoming tour? He snubbed them at Live 8 in order to perform with Oasis in Manchester and I'd guess that if Oasis were gigging next year, he’d be with them again. Roger and peado Pete may have to look elsewhere. In my opinion, he works great with both bands and Oasis like him so much, they've even stuck him in their last few videos. Unlike The Who, I think Oasis NEED a permanent member on drums, so maybe Zak is the answer.

Zak and Pino are already on board and .............

...... What ?!?!

Oh , ...... SURE ! :

10th March 2006 03:48 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Joey wrote:

Zak and Pino are already on board and .............

...... What ?!?!

Oh , ...... SURE ! :

I HAVE no problem with Zak drumming with The Who! I just the Oasis threads as an excuse for an argument!

Is that Petes girlfreind?
10th March 2006 03:53 PM
Jumping Jack Not to worry young Joeykins. This will be like days of yore, Pete cranked up to 11. You will not be able to hear Roger anyway!!!! Word.
10th March 2006 03:54 PM
Joey
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Not to worry young Joeykins. This will be like days of yore, Pete cranked up to 11. You will not be able to hear Roger anyway!!!! Word.

You calm young Joey's frazzled nerves and lower his Blood Pressure .

Bless You
10th March 2006 03:59 PM
Break The Spell Zak's the best guy they've had behind the kit since the days of Moonie. He really gets their music, he's more than just a hired hand at this point. This tour will be the best Who yet!!
10th March 2006 04:02 PM
Jumping Jack I lower the blood pressure of some, and raise the blood pressure of others, LOL! Perhaps I can croak off the hyper ones. 4:00 pm, Friday, it's the weekend and party time. I must start reading my system for Tuesday night.

WooHoo Y'all. Enjoy happy hour tonight!
10th March 2006 04:14 PM
Joey
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
This tour will be the best Who yet!!

You are much loved .
10th March 2006 04:18 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Joey wrote:

You are much loved .

The feeling is mutual. Bring on the tour :}!!
10th March 2006 04:24 PM
keefjunkie "Gallagher attacks Stones and U2"

Image hosting by Photobucket
10th March 2006 10:35 PM
Riffhard Sadly for Liam,Oasis as gone over like a turd in a punchbowl here in the States. Or a fart in church if you like.

Riffy
11th March 2006 07:06 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Sadly for Liam,Oasis as gone over like a turd in a punchbowl here in the States. Or a fart in church if you like.

Riffy

I somehow doubt he's bothered! Oasis do have fans in the States and sell well in some areas. They're huge in Europe and have sold millions of records. They are critically acclaimed and made plenty of money. So, why should Oasis really care? The UK's been littered with GREAT bands over the years that haven’t made an impact across the Atlantic. The Smiths, The Stone Roses, Suede, Manic Street Preachers, Blur and COUNTLESS others. Have you even heard of Ian Brown? Not cracking America hasn’t hurt these bands one bit. They're all very important to me and many, many others.

It seems to be FASHIONABLE for America to be dismissive of our pop groups and bands, yet, good or bad; we seem to be more open to what comes from America. Look at American Idol for instance. Kelly Clarkson is quite big over here, but have you guys heard of Will Young?
11th March 2006 07:41 AM
corgi37 Dont try to justify them. Pommy bands have been lame for ages. Look at the Darkness for fuck sake.

Oasis are so 1996. But, i dont mind them too much. Some songs are pretty good. Noel Gallagher is the funny one though. He comes out with some priceless shit.
11th March 2006 08:09 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Dont try to justify them. Pommy bands have been lame for ages. Look at the Darkness for fuck sake.

Oasis are so 1996. But, i dont mind them too much. Some songs are pretty good. Noel Gallagher is the funny one though. He comes out with some priceless shit.

Well that’s it corgi! To many, they ARE so 1996! They're just a nostalgia act for, probably 3/4 that goes to see them live. I just happen to like they're new stuff, that’s all. It still sells well and there is no harm in trying to turn people onto good things!

Yes, they're very funny. That seems to escape many here.

11th March 2006 08:17 AM
glencar Ha! I just ordered an old Stone Roses CD!
11th March 2006 08:45 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
glencar wrote:
Ha! I just ordered an old Stone Roses CD!

They only had two actual studio albums. The Stones Roses, which was released in 1989 and Second Coming, which was released in 1994. I hope you bought the first one. That’s an amazing album. The second is OKAY, but nothing in comparison. Actually, you could get The Best Of The Stones Roses, as that contains the bulk of the debut, the better moments from the Second Coming and all they're wonderful non-album tracks like Sally Cinnamon and Fools Gold. In fact, I'd purchase that AND the debut. The Stone Roses really is essential.

Good for You glencar!
11th March 2006 02:16 PM
MrPleasant Whenever I hear the name of that british group, "OASIS", this is what I think:

atrjiatrekjioat`jipTBVmi¡M5B280'yynzsñdjfsijgìwjgÌJG+02uh4¡65vn590uiveklgjretihyt54345h54j54jhg54uj64sur6sr465ADñkjxcojhdlkjflskjflsdkjaljf90UR¡M9V¡MVº13443596540896543'086

The same goes for all the politicians in México.
11th March 2006 04:26 PM
glencar
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

They only had two actual studio albums. The Stones Roses, which was released in 1989 and Second Coming, which was released in 1994. I hope you bought the first one. That’s an amazing album. The second is OKAY, but nothing in comparison. Actually, you could get The Best Of The Stones Roses, as that contains the bulk of the debut, the better moments from the Second Coming and all they're wonderful non-album tracks like Sally Cinnamon and Fools Gold. In fact, I'd purchase that AND the debut. The Stone Roses really is essential.

Good for You glencar!

Uh oh! I purchased the second one! LOL I'll put the first one on my "to buy" list.

11th March 2006 07:17 PM
IrelandCalling4 Seems like Liam's at it again...

Oasis's many and varied comments,insults and put-down's through the years,aswell as their behaviour,seem like a join-the-dots plot from a 'How to be an obnoxious RockStar' book^^

Their insults and practised 'rude' behaviour are so choreographed it's pathetic. Sure,a lot of acts go this route,but,Oasis are the worst offenders. They would sorely love to be genuine rock'n'roll outlaws,but come off like boasting shoolboys with a ridiculous streak of planned-out insults.

Musically,they began promisingly,with the very good(but perhaps not truly great) 'Definitely Maybe' & 'Morning Glory',but,ever since then,arguably,have made some of the most derivative and just plain boring albums. Lyrically woeful in most cases,and musically bland,history won't be kind to them.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)