ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Radio City Music Hall, New York City, March 14, 2006
© Throbby... thanks!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Gallagher attacks Stones and U2 Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
10th March 2006 08:51 AM
Ten Thousand Motels GALLAGHER ATTACKS STONES AND U2

OASIS frontman LIAM GALLAGHER has launched an unprovoked attack on rock legends THE ROLLING STONES and U2, slamming their songwriting and charity campaigning, respectively. THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING IDLE hitmaker has blasted The Rolling Stones' discography as "crap", while insisting U2, are "not normal". And he refuses to believe that any band comes close to matching Oasis' self-proclaimed musical mastery. He boasts, "Oasis might not be the biggest band in the world, but we're the best. "I respect the Stones but their songs are a pile of crap. "As for U2, they don't say a lot or seem like normal persons."
10/03/2006 09:51

10th March 2006 08:53 AM
Ihavelotsajam Was he going for a good soundbite? Cause that failed miserably.
10th March 2006 08:56 AM
egon that Liam is one funny dude!
10th March 2006 09:04 AM
Break The Spell When I first saw that headline, I thought it was the comedian that would smash water melons into the audience. He's way more talented than those Oasis poseurs. How can he call the Stones catalogue crap when his wimpy little band is just 3rd rate Beatles hacks?? I'm glad their last 3 albums totally bombed here.
10th March 2006 09:24 AM
Honky Tonk Man Oh for Christ’s sake!

This is LIAM GALLAGHER making these comments! How can anyone take them seriously or get offended? I'm not stating that he doesn’t necessarily mean what he’s saying, but I'd take it with a pinch of salt. This is all part of Liam’s character and is what makes him great. Actually, collectively, Oasis LIKE the Stones. They've covered Street Fighting Man and the influence for Live Forever was the Stones Shine A Light.

Egon hit it on the head. He is one FUNNY dude!
10th March 2006 09:30 AM
gorda He just wanted attention, he knew that saying this would get him quoted in the paper.
10th March 2006 09:35 AM
winter
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Oh for Christ’s sake!

This is all part of Liam’s character and is what makes him great.

HTW, replace the word "great" with "shit", and you are on to something.
10th March 2006 09:38 AM
Break The Spell At the very least, Liam is inconsistent. I remember a few years ago in an interview he said "Let It Bleed" was one of his all time favorite albums, now he says its all "crap". Perhaps this was indeed all said just to get headlines.
10th March 2006 09:39 AM
Madafaka I'm attending tonight at the Oasis concert, but I don't like too much that guy.
10th March 2006 09:39 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
winter wrote:

HTW, replace the word "great" with "shit", and you are on to something.

NO! YOU replace the "W" with "M" in my user name and maybe, just maybe, you'll be onto something!
10th March 2006 09:47 AM
winter
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

NO! YOU replace the "W" with "M" in my user name and maybe, just maybe, you'll be onto something!

Sorry, not intended, just a habit because of the song.

10th March 2006 09:49 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
winter wrote:

Sorry, not intended, just a habit because of the song.

HA! No offence taken. We'll just have to agree to disagree about Oasis though!
10th March 2006 09:55 AM
FPM C10 Liam is mellowing out. He didn't challenge anyone to a fistfight.

What an ass. I agree with the U2 comments, of course, but still....
10th March 2006 10:09 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
Liam is mellowing out. He didn't challenge anyone to a fistfight.

What an ass. I agree with the U2 comments, of course, but still....

I think that both Liam and Noel are mellowing out. They're both in their 30's now and don't live up to the rock 'n roll star image like they did in the mid 90's. They are both settled down with families and the cliché’s are now left for on stage or in Liam’s case, interviews too.

Liam is an ass, but in a funny way, I think that’s what endears him to many. He plays the clown and its just part of his make-up.
10th March 2006 10:14 AM
gimmekeef Who carrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrres
10th March 2006 10:16 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Who carrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrres

you, if you care enough to post on the subject!!
10th March 2006 10:20 AM
glencar Was Liam drinking whilst spouting this bile?
10th March 2006 10:29 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
GALLAGHER ATTACKS STONES AND U2

OASIS frontman LIAM GALLAGHER has launched an unprovoked attack on rock legends THE ROLLING STONES and U2, slamming their songwriting and charity campaigning, respectively. THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING IDLE hitmaker has blasted The Rolling Stones' discography as "crap", while insisting U2, are "not normal". And he refuses to believe that any band comes close to matching Oasis' self-proclaimed musical mastery. He boasts, "Oasis might not be the biggest band in the world, but we're the best. "I respect the Stones but their songs are a pile of crap. "As for U2, they don't say a lot or seem like normal persons."
10/03/2006 09:51

I like the U2 quote! But at this stage, the percentage of real music fans who take anything this guy says as intelligent or fact is quickly dwindling down to zero.

When people attack other people publically, it is generally to use the strength/popularity of the attackee.

if he would have insulted creed...no one would have cared.

it is the same in every public profession.

If a boxer in the late eighties gave an interview and called MIke Tyson a joke....he would gain immediate recognition and become "a name"

If a rookie in baseball called Barry Bonds a fraud...he would be in every newspaper

Hell even in wrestling if a new wrestler was scripted to call out Ric Flair or Hulk HOgan....he would get a name for himself.

Point is, it is a cheap, yet effective and long standing, publicity stunt. and it worked, because here at Rocks off, we are talking about Liam. Humiliating.
10th March 2006 10:31 AM
RSRTG I dont care too much for idle gossip. The Stones' record / longevity speaks for itself.
Oasis have had their time, lets see if they are still around in 30-40 years.... i doubt it and i doubt I'll be around too.
Long live the Rolling Stones!
10th March 2006 10:43 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
When people attack other people publically, it is generally to use the strength/popularity of the attackee.

I do agree with your comment, though, Liam’s Gallagher has been spouting this bile for about 10 years now. He just attacks anyone he feels like. He loves the Beatles, but that didn't stop him having a pop at George Harrison. Anyway, the fact that he's been at it for 10 years, suggests to me that it isn't in anyway to strengthen his popularity. Everyone has heard Oasis and everyone has formed opinions. They're not going to be breaking any new markets and everyone already knows what the guy is about. He just enjoys riling people and it works. As you stated, we’re talking about him here. He'd like that! It's what the guy wants.
10th March 2006 10:57 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

I do agree with your comment, though, Liam’s Gallagher has been spouting this bile for about 10 years now. He just attacks anyone he feels like. He loves the Beatles, but that didn't stop him having a pop at George Harrison. Anyway, the fact that he's been at it for 10 years, suggests to me that it isn't in anyway to strengthen his popularity. Everyone has heard Oasis and everyone has formed opinions. They're not going to be breaking any new markets and everyone already knows what the guy is about. He just enjoys riling people and it works. As you stated, we’re talking about him here. He'd like that! It's what the guy wants.

it keeps him in the press and fresh in peoples minds...before the super bowl, everyone knew Janet Jackson and formed an opinion about her, but she sure thrust herself back into the news and gave herself a big publicity boost. Liam seems jealous and bitter, but really seems to hate just about everyone. I say this is half personality and half strategy, he knows his comments will generate talk.
10th March 2006 11:06 AM
Poison Dart I wonder if this guy understands that nobody in the United States even know who Oasis is?

10th March 2006 11:09 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

it keeps him in the press and fresh in peoples minds...before the super bowl, everyone knew Janet Jackson and formed an opinion about her, but she sure thrust herself back into the news and gave herself a big publicity boost. Liam seems jealous and bitter, but really seems to hate just about everyone. I say this is half personality and half strategy, he knows his comments will generate talk.

If it were an American article, that'd be true. He doesn’t need to generate talk in the UK really. He tends to get in tabloids no matter what he says, but like I said in an earlier post, he seems to be moving away from the limelight. The obnoxious comments he makes are part and parcel of what the guy is about. Everyone knows he spouts rubbish and everyone accepts it. I don't know why it generates discussion on the board, but I'd say that no one over here really bothers to take note anymore. Hearing Don't Look Back In Anger or Wonderwall on the radio or a pub jukebox is what keeps them fresh in the mind over here. Not some daft comments about The Stones or U2.
10th March 2006 11:11 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

If it were an American article, that'd be true. He doesn’t need to generate talk in the UK really. He tends to get in tabloids no matter what he says, but like I said in an earlier post, he seems to be moving away from the limelight. The obnoxious comments he makes are part and parcel of what the guy is about. Everyone knows he spouts rubbish and everyone accepts it. I don't know why it generates discussion on the board, but I'd say that no one over here really bothers to take note anymore. Hearing Don't Look Back In Anger or Wonderwall on the radio or a pub jukebox is what keeps them fresh in the mind over here. Not some daft comments about The Stones or U2.

For me, Don't Believe The Truth is the best new album of the last 12 months. In America, it seems they only reach a limited demographic.
10th March 2006 11:16 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

For me, Don't Believe The Truth is the best new album of the last 12 months. In America, it seems they only reach a limited demographic.

I've just listened to it. It's a great album and their best work since What's The Story? (Morning Glory).

When you say, "Limited demographic", do you mean that they are big in some areas, but not in others? I know they sold out Madison Square Garden in 2 hours. That's not bad going for a group who some here claim mean absolutely zilch in the States.
10th March 2006 11:23 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

I've just listened to it. It's a great album and their best work since What's The Story? (Morning Glory).

When you say, "Limited demographic", do you mean that they are big in some areas, but not in others? I know they sold out Madison Square Garden in 2 hours. That's not bad going for a group who some here claim mean absolutely zilch in the States.

Yes, good observation. Its odd, what I mean is, as you say they can sell out MSG, but the album wasn't as big as Coldplay's last one in America. I think that the style of the music isn't perhaps orientated towards the current musical trends in America, i.e, rock 'n' roll is pretty much dead. The Britpop tag may also be an obstacle for them now too. However, the new album isn't really like the older stuff; Its a lot more mature and inventive than recent efforts. They are certainly not a 'middle America' band like u2 or the Stones.
10th March 2006 11:23 AM
Break The Spell The way the 2 brothers in Oasis used to aways want fist fights remind me of the Davies brothers in the kinks, except they'd usually fight eachother, sometimes on stage!!
10th March 2006 11:27 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

I see your point, but respectfully disagree on most points. Use other examples as support to my theory. THe stones don't need to do anything shocking or controversial to create a buzz....but yet Sweet Neo-Con is on ABB and many interviews were given before the release of the album. If "Don't Stop" was in its place instead of Neocon, none of that publicity would have happened. NO matter how famous, or infamous musicians are, there are two aspects of them that wants to keep them in conversation: The business side, all publicity is good publicity (when was the last time a positive story was written about Paris Hilton, yet she continues to get tv deals, movie roles, and other undeserved, sorry joey, perks) and the need to feed the ego. There are very few successful people in the public limelight that don't have a very strong ego (Charlie Watts seems to be one of the few)
10th March 2006 11:35 AM
winter Stereophonics are a much better Oasis than Oasis,

wintah
10th March 2006 11:37 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

I love that you added my little quote from yesterday to your sig, now it can live on forever. Stay Strong, Stoned and Beautiful, from Kentucky to France my brotha...
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)