ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

19th Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
Waldorf Astoria Hotel, NYC March 15, 2004
© Tina Fineberg / AP
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Charlie in Paris Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
March 7th, 2005 12:17 PM
Soldatti Thanks to Thru And Thru...

...Bill Wyman just finished an interview via telephone from London on my local Classic Rock station's morning show promoting his new Rythm Kings album. In the course of the conversation he mentioned that Charlie came round visiting him yesterday and told him that he was off to Paris today to start mixing the new Stones album...
March 7th, 2005 12:19 PM
kath yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
March 7th, 2005 12:41 PM
doo doo doo Dude Nice!

Well done Soldatti.
March 7th, 2005 12:47 PM
Soldatti
quote:
doo doo doo Dude wrote:
Nice!

Well done Soldatti.

Not me, thanks to Thru And Thru from shidoobee...
March 7th, 2005 02:32 PM
IanBillen
Excellent news. The recording part of this album is probably over then. Two, or maybe three more months and this album is totaly finished (6 weeks to mix, two or three weeks to master). By the end of May it will be totaly finished from top to bottum I'm Sure.

Again,
IMHO I think much of the work on this album was already completed. I think the November outings and since then were the second half of things. Now the mixing and their job is done.

Ian

March 7th, 2005 02:32 PM
thejuf wasn't Charlie boy picking his nose while Keith was singing Thru and Thru on Four Flicks....?
March 7th, 2005 02:49 PM
IanBillen
quote:
thejuf wrote:
wasn't Charlie boy picking his nose while Keith was singing Thru and Thru on Four Flicks....?

Yes. He claimes he struck gold.
March 7th, 2005 04:12 PM
MRD8 thejuf,
I saw your picture on Under The Boardtalk and you are drop dead gorgeous...! And another Dutch school teacher as well?
March 7th, 2005 04:24 PM
FOURCHETTE Charlie was seen at the airport of TOUR (Loire Valley)in route to Mick's Chateau...
Bill Wyman is right.
March 7th, 2005 05:33 PM
Gazza thats all four members of the Stones having been reported now as being in Paris either last week or this week

It doesnt take all four of them to mix an album. Technically, it doesnt really take any of them.

They still have some recording to do. Look at the quote from Chuck just a short time ago, posted elsewhere on this board via Stonesdoug, which indicates that the auxiliary musicians havent been used as yet.

As they were writing songs in November, then those songs in question could not have been recorded in band form until now.

If the recording sessions are already finished, then it'll be the shittiest most slapdash album they've ever made as they've barely spent a weekend together in the last 16 months.
March 7th, 2005 05:35 PM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Excellent news. The recording part of this album is probably over then. Two, or maybe three more months and this album is totaly finished (6 weeks to mix, two or three weeks to master).

eh? you could mix an album in about 2-3 days. Mastering even faster!
[Edited by Gazza]
March 7th, 2005 05:56 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Gazza wrote:
[Edited by Gazza]

Unless you're Axl Rose.
March 7th, 2005 06:03 PM
Mikey What entails "mastering" an album?
March 7th, 2005 06:04 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Gazza wrote:
thats all four members of the Stones having been reported now as being in Paris either last week or this week

It doesnt take all four of them to mix an album. Technically, it doesnt really take any of them.

They still have some recording to do. Look at the quote from Chuck just a short time ago, posted elsewhere on this board via Stonesdoug, which indicates that the auxiliary musicians havent been used as yet.

As they were writing songs in November, then those songs in question could not have been recorded in band form until now.

If the recording sessions are already finished, then it'll be the shittiest most slapdash album they've ever made as they've barely spent a weekend together in the last 16 months.

Yep. They still have work to do.
Just look at the timetable: recently, Mick was seen in Paris with L'wren at a museum and restaurant. I guess he was there for the Fashion Week. (One of the French fans even bumped into him in a little but exclusive men's clothes shop! )
Then L'wren is seen in Paris alone. Rumors here in France have Keith and Mick at Fourchette castle again.
Add the quote from Chuck, and what Bill said about Charlie being in Paris. Now Charlie has arrived in Touraine, where Mick's castle is sited.
I'll just add that there IS a recording studio in Fourchette -- in the former garage, remember ?
Next Sunday, Ron does his thing in London. Then maybe he's free for a little work with the Stones, why not...
So... Last November they were writing songs. Now it looks like recording. Keep your fingers crossed for a new Exile. Last time they holed up in France at one of the Stones's houses, we know what came of it!!! 8)

[Edited by Monkey Woman]
March 7th, 2005 06:06 PM
Mikey What entails "mastering" an album?
March 7th, 2005 06:27 PM
StonesChick Rolling Stones.com (the fan club) reports that Mick and Keith are in France writing songs now!!!!!!!!!!
March 7th, 2005 06:37 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
StonesChick wrote:
Rolling Stones.com (the fan club) reports that Mick and Keith are in France writing songs now!!!!!!!!!!

March 07, 2005
Mick and Keith Back At It

Mick and Keith are currently in France writing new songs for the forthcoming Rolling Stones album. Stay tuned for more details as they roll in.

http://www.rollingstones.com/news/indexdtl.php?newsID=237

March 7th, 2005 06:53 PM
Soldatti Long report!
March 7th, 2005 09:17 PM
Bob Tamp Its about time for them to get going.
Im hoping for a great album, but part of me thinks we will get another mediocre release. Lets hope Im wrong.
March 7th, 2005 09:44 PM
Soldatti From IORR:

...A french Stone Fan (Le Paul Jagger) saw Charlie at the airport in Tour today.
He talked a while with Charlie and he was told that Keith is with Mick since already two weeks! It also seems like Ronnie is not involved at the moment...
March 7th, 2005 10:26 PM
Gazza that makes perfect sense - and straight from the horses' mouth

I'd imagine once Ronnie has his solo gig over, he'll be involved.

Sounds like Mick and Keith are just working on some more songs and then bringing Charlie in 2 weeks later - exactly like what happened in November
March 7th, 2005 11:00 PM
Poplar
quote:
thejuf wrote:
wasn't Charlie boy picking his nose while Keith was singing Thru and Thru on Four Flicks....?

yes - and i take full credit for "picking that out" when 4Flicks came out.
March 7th, 2005 11:11 PM
corgi37 Writing songs in March? Mmmm.

So it seems they had stuff all tracks from the last 8 years, and had to write all new stuff.

Doth it bode well-eth, or not-eth?
March 7th, 2005 11:24 PM
IanBillen [quote]Gazza wrote:

[Edited by Gazza]

It is possible, to mix an album in two or three days sure, for smaller projects or from small bands. But for big acts the time frame is at least a few weeks to six weeks on average.

The Stones have never had their later albums mixed in 2-3 days.

Gazza,
With respect as usual,
My good friend you are as stubborne as I am.
What is it going to take to convince you the album is basically recorded? Listen to what they are saying. Charlie said "mixing", not recording or working on, he states "mixing". And you are right, technically it takes only one person to mix but I think Keith, Charlie, and Mick want in on it as it takes place. Being musically educated as you are you understand mixing the album is half of how the album runs and what groove it is. You can make a harder rock song sound kinda like a dance track with a different mix as you know. Equalization is added to change the tonal qualities, effects are added, the tempo can be adjusted etc. etc. I think all Stones will want to agree on the mix in this. Why would you think The Stones are waiting until March to start recording this thing? Are you saying that no real recording has started to take place on this until right now in March? With the album tentaively due in the summer or fall? That is like Steel Wheels revisited. They wouldn't work it like that. And don't believe Rolling Stones .com saying Mick and Keith are writing songs.... It's March, when are they going to finally record them, in October? That's not entirely true. Sure they are there in France, but I can guarantee you they are not really writing anymore. They are way past that stage.

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
March 8th, 2005 02:18 AM
IanBillen [quote]Mikey wrote:
What entails "mastering" an album?

Well this is what mastering is and here is how the common project goes from start to finish:

Mastering an album is evening out all volume levels of the songs so they all sound at an even state in terms of volume.

Not the volume levels of the instruments mind you (that's done in the mixing and recording part)but the instruments together as a whole in each song so all songs same at the same state in decibles.

Mastering also cleans up the sound and places the songs in the correct order on tape (be it digital or analog tape).

Count off's and unwanted noise is eliminated and the sound is cleaned up to sound that much more polished. The songs are also seperated with the desired amount of time in between the songs (if infact there is seperation in the songs. In some cases the songs go directly into each-other which also comes in with the mastering part of it all.)

Also the volume levels are faded out properly at the end of the songs if the song ends in this fashion.

Every professional recording gets mastered. Every song you hear on the radio was mastered. Usually at a totaly different facility that specializes just in mastering. A big name project usually involves at-least three engineers. A recording engineer, a mixing engineer, and a mastering engineer. And this is at the least. The mixing of the songs normally takes place at a different studio as well but not all the time.

After the mastering the finalized copy is transfered to CD or a glass disc (this is the true master copy). The CD's are then taken to a pressing plant which makes an exact copy of the CD which is usually glass. From this glass media the CD is pressed and the cover art is usually put on there.

From there on a distribution company delivers the album to the record stores. The distribution deal is a seperate part and a big deal in itself. In bigger projects the distribution deal is usually included in the albums budget or the record company takes care of it and springs for the distribution deal.

The making of an album usually follows these steps in this order.

1. Writing
2. Rehearsal of Chosen Songs
3. Actually Recording them
4. Mixing
5. Mastering
6. Pressing
7. Distribution

Mind you, Pressing and Distributing the album takes very little time. Mastering doesn't take too terribly long either. In a big outfit as the Stones the band usually rehearses and records the songs in the studio, or the place where they plan on recording it. Since their budget is huge nobody gets concerned about throwing away two, three, four, or six weeks of extra time in the studio to rehearse the numbers.

That is basically how it gets done.

Ian
March 8th, 2005 04:50 AM
Gazza >It is possible, to mix an album in two or three days sure, for smaller projects or from small bands. But for big acts the time frame is at least a few weeks to six weeks on average.The Stones have never had their later albums mixed in 2-3 days.

Not saying they had. I'm saying they could. The Beatles mixed the White Album in a 2 day session in 1968, for example.

>My good friend you are as stubborne as I am.
What is it going to take to convince you the album is basically recorded?

Lack of any actual evidence plus the fact the band havent been in the same country for more than 2 or 3 days over the last 18 months and that they havent used any musicians in that time apart from Mick, Keith and Charlie.

>Listen to what they are saying. Charlie said "mixing", not recording or working on, he states "mixing".

no he didnt. Bill did. Charlie said Mick and Keith have been writing songs

>And you are right, technically it takes only one person to mix but I think Keith, Charlie, and Mick want in on it as it takes place. Being musically educated as you are you understand mixing the album is half of how the album runs and what groove it is.

I'm not musically educated. The band specifically EMPLOY someone to mix their records. They (principally Mick and Keith, as co-producers) would oversee it but they employ someone like a Bob Clearmountain to do it properly. That isnt anywhere near as lengthy a process as writing the songs, demo-ing them or recording them.

>You can make a harder rock song sound kinda like a dance track with a different mix as you know. Equalization is added to change the tonal qualities, effects are added, the tempo can be adjusted etc. etc. I think all Stones will want to agree on the mix in this. Why would you think The Stones are waiting until March to start recording this thing? Are you saying that no real recording has started to take place on this until right now in March?

yep. Nothing that you'll hear on the finished album, anyway. Just demos.

>With the album tentaively due in the summer or fall? That is like Steel Wheels revisited. They wouldn't work it like that.

why not? It happened on Steel Wheels and it happened on Bridges To Babylon too. Writing and pre production done in winter. Album recorded March-April. They said after SW thats the way they intended making records from then on. If you look at the way they were recording through much of the 80's, they tended to grind songs out, taking forever in the studio while Keith worked on some groove for days on end and Mick would sing dummy lyrics, etc. The way they do it now means they spend more time preparing the songs in advance to therefore make them faster to record.

>And don't believe Rolling Stones .com saying Mick and Keith are writing songs.... It's March, when are they going to finally record them, in October?

no. For a few weeks starting this month. Having written in November and again in February, they would now be ready to record said songs and would have enough to make a new record.
They were writing songs in November. Fact, not an assumption. There hasnt been a recording session since that time as until the last few days they havent been together. I'd be interested to know how you think these songs from last November have magically evolved into a finished recorded format in the 4 months that have passed since then.

>That's not entirely true. Sure they are there in France, but I can guarantee you they are not really writing anymore. They are way past that stage.

you can guarantee me? So..you're more of an authority on this than say, Charlie Watts and Chuck Leavell? LOL. Charlie says Ronnie Wood hasnt been involved so far. We know Chuck Leavell hasnt either. What does that tell you?

[Edited by Gazza]
March 8th, 2005 05:44 AM
maumau "Charlie says Ronnie Wood hasnt been involved so far. We know Chuck Leavell hasnt either. What does that tell you?"

eh heh, what does it tell me?...
about Ronnie: he will...when they would be ready to record those songs...in other words: we have been waiting seven years for a new record, so what if it is going to be out in september instead of june? and i am not sure at all that if they start recording next week they won't be able to be out in june... my priority: a good record

about chuck: yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!!!
don't take it badly chuck but i have had enough of your honkey donkey pianola

---
hi everyone, new member )
March 8th, 2005 05:47 AM
Hannalee I've just had an evil thought (otherwise known as a brilliant idea). Seeing that Mac's over for Ronnie's gig on Sunday, and that informed opinion thinks that Woody will be joining the other Stones afterwards, should he not cart Ian off to France with him to work some mojo on the new album? After all, it would be a shame to drag Chuck away from his trees just because the Stones are recording....
March 8th, 2005 05:47 AM
Gazza I'm sure Chucky boy will be involved at some point, Maumau!

And welcome to Rocks Off, good to have you here...
March 8th, 2005 05:49 AM
Gazza
quote:
Hannalee wrote:
I've just had an evil thought (otherwise known as a brilliant idea). Seeing that Mac's over for Ronnie's gig on Sunday, and that informed opinion thinks that Woody will be joining the other Stones afterwards, should he not cart Ian off to France with him to work some mojo on the new album? After all, it would be a shame to drag Chuck away from his trees just because the Stones are recording....

in an ideal world, yes - but apparently Mac is seen as too much of a negative influence on the newly-sober Woody!
Page: 1 2 3
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood