ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

19th Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
Waldorf Astoria Hotel, NYC March 15, 2004
© Tina Fineberg / AP
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Charlie in Paris Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
March 8th, 2005 05:57 AM
maumau thank you gazza

and well, i beg your pardon, but i would linger for a while in the ideal world shaped by hannalee....

it takes 7 chucks to make a Mac
March 8th, 2005 07:33 AM
Hannalee Mac's pretty sober himself these days; more so than Keith, as I'm sure Mick's aware.
March 8th, 2005 07:40 AM
Gazza

Rowley Birkin QC, from "The Fast Show" is probably sober more often than Keith is these days too!
March 8th, 2005 09:36 AM
LE PAUL JAGGER yeah.............

It's a friend of mine but not me.
He saw Charlie at the airport yesterday and he looks great.

It' the first time i submit i love this forum and i proud to be pART of it.
sorry my english is not perfect.;

One love....
March 8th, 2005 09:41 AM
Gazza Bienvenue a Rocks Off!

thanks for making your first post...it's always encouraged and it's great to get up to date information from our members like this.

Your English is fine. Please dont apologise for it. Most of us who have English as our first language have trouble with it sometimes too!

[Edited by Gazza]
March 8th, 2005 10:00 AM
Snappy McJack Anybody else giddy?
March 8th, 2005 10:23 AM
nankerphelge Yep -- damn fine news.

Bout time them boys got t'work
March 8th, 2005 11:38 AM
Monkey Woman Hello, Paul! And welcome to the fun house!
March 8th, 2005 12:59 PM
Jacques Hi all
3 good news
Charlie is at Fourchette,
MW is back
and Le Paul is now with us on this great messageboard.

Don't worry about your English, your French is not so good LOL !!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations for your first post.
March 8th, 2005 01:13 PM
Nellcote Le Paul;
Welcome Aboard! Your English is fine. I am from Bahston, and I'm frequently told that I am misunderstood.
Just the other day, I told a guy I was looking to pahk my cah near to Havud, as I'm from Mefuhd, and he told me to staht to tahk betta. Keep up the good work digging out these tidbits of info. It keeps us juiced up & sloppy, if ya know what I mean...
March 8th, 2005 01:17 PM
L&A ... the French invasion... take care, those guys are dangerous. Nice, but dangerous ;D

Salut, Le Paul, and congrats !
March 8th, 2005 01:36 PM
Jacques Hi L&A
you say that because you're from Belgium and jealous.
Stones invasion in France and French invasion on RO.
As L&A said we are dangerous guys LOL but we have a lot of very good friends for years on this board. IMO a VERY GREAT FAMILY, thanks again to Unholy Trinity.
March 8th, 2005 01:37 PM
Jacques L&A you're not quite right, because JU is not here at the moment ....
March 8th, 2005 03:55 PM
IanBillen
Gazza wrote to me:

"The band specifically EMPLOY someone to mix their records. They (principally Mick and Keith, as co-producers) would oversee it but they employ someone like a Bob Clearmountain to do it properly."

I realize that much (Geez). I mean they want to have an input on what type of mix whoever they hire to come up with.

Gazza we don't know if the Stones have been together or when per-say. Remember, we didn't even know they were at Micks in November till well after the fact. That is just one example we know of.

Well all we can do is wait. It will not matter but when it is all said and done I think we may find this album began well before November of last year. Both in terms of recording and songwriting. I think we will find from November till now was just the second half of things.

Ian
March 8th, 2005 04:56 PM
Gazza Ian

You even posted in a thread only a couple of days ago acknowledging that the additional musicians hadnt been involved in this record.

Now youre back to saying the album is recorded. You're contradicting yourself.

We DID know back around November that Mick and Keith were in Paris. NOT some considerable time afterwards. Check the archives.

The Stones have NOT been recording as a band between November and now. The individual band members movements and locations since then have made that quite obvious. Especially Mick and Ronnie whose activities and whereabouts have been very high profile throughout that time. Keith spent most of the early weeks of the year in the Caribbean on holiday.

I cant see how you can possibly imagine that these guys have been working hard on a record at some time in the last few months when such activity has been mentioned by NO ONE and for most of the time, no more than about two of them have even been in the same country as each other.

Even in the last couple of days, people have reported several sightings of the individual band members in France and/or at airports. These guys arent exactly invisible. That kind of stuff goes on all the time when the Stones are working. For them to have all disappeared as a unit into some black hole for a few weeks where theyve recorded this mythical album is somewhat unlikely.

Mick and Keith were, I dont doubt working on songs in their own studios before they met up in November. However, I doubt they were doing any writing together until then. They barely see each other between tours and dont generally get together to write songs. Thats the way its been since the early 70's.
March 8th, 2005 06:55 PM
maumau i think gazza is right and would be very surprised to hear that the record is complete now and they're gathering in paris just to give it to the press happily together

but

there is another chance. just before putting out 40 licks they told everyone that they have recorded an enormous amount of material. and we know that there is a lot of raw and unpublished material from the 90's to say the least.

so what if mick and keith ad then charlie in november were basically picking up songs from the basket and loosely recording overdubs or stuff like that. those songs, expecially those from 40 licks sessions were recorded with other musicians (yes even chuck was ther sic )and the work to be done in november and now would be giving the final touches and cuts

i don't think it is likely but it's a possibility

thoughts?

March 8th, 2005 10:06 PM
BILL PERKS GAZZA-WHY BOTHER ?
March 8th, 2005 11:08 PM
IanBillen I understand. I think when this album comes out you WILL see the time frame of recording sessions before November of 04, and well before March and April of 05. If that is the case then there will be no doubt that infact they had been recording this material well before this month.

Gazza:
When did Charlie say they were "writing" songs at the moment?
As I understood he told Bill Wyman that he was going to France to "mix" the album.

Supposeably he did tell a fellow at the airport that Ronnie hasn't been involved very much yet. But he never stated that Mick and Keith were still writing songs. He simply stated that Ronnie wasn't involved much. My thought is Mick, Keith, and Charlie already laid down what they need.

Ronnie could lay his overdubs in not much time at all.

The time frame suggested here makes no sense. Again Don Was will be involved in the mixing and he will be unavailable in mid to late April. His band starts a small tour in May. Remember once these songs have been written they must be rehearsed in order just to record them. Then mixed. Don Was also delivers the masters to look closely over that. When will he have time to do all this. To suggest that the Stones intend to rehearse, record, mix, and master this album in five weeks flat is very unrealistic. A rolling Stones album, let alone any credible album that gets released in the past 20 years never gets mixed in two or three days. Check how long it took to mix any major artists entire album today. It is weeks, some-time a few months. These songs are listened to over-and over- with new mixes tried and everything eles.

This time frame of six weeks to complete all this is very unrealistic. And to say they are not even finished writing the songs??? I just cannot see it. Bands of this scale simply do not work at this rate these days. Neither does the recording process. No major band today writes, rehearses, records, mixes, and masters an album with cover-art and everything in six weeks. Recording alone, usually takes a months by itself. Sometimes up to six months or more.

How long Bridges to Babylon took to record and mix...in reference to the supposed new albums progress to date:

Take for instance B2B. Songe were all written before Febuary of 1997. Pre-Production (writing and working on demo's)started on this album in October of 1996, in Dangerous Music Studios in New York City. Pre-production ran through into December of 1996.

The band reconviened to record in Febuary of 1997 to start the recording process:
Recording actually started in Febuary at Ocean Way Studio's in LA. Recording and Mixing ran through July. Mastering took place in August of 1997. The Stones recorded and mixed through late July. So that is over five, almost six months just to record and mix the record.

In August the album was mastered.

It was released September 30th in 97.

In this scenario, Their very last album, it took the Rolling Stones six months just to record and mix the album. (That is AFTER pre-production which is what they are supposeably still doing. But I am not buying it for a second). And that was doing things fast in there. In fact, they actually had to run seperate rooms because they were running out of time.

Now tell me,
How on earth is this album going to be recorded, and mixed in six weeks with The Rolling Stones still doing the writing process which is pre-production?

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
[Edited by IanBillen]
March 8th, 2005 11:56 PM
BILL PERKS IAN -YOU'RE NUCKING FUTS
March 9th, 2005 02:14 AM
maumau oh well time is on my side
excuse me if i did not quote you but you know, i have not read each and every post on this board, so...
if only you could have posted your contribution to this particular thread a little earlier and repeat your argument to us so that now i won't have to pay the royalties...
March 9th, 2005 03:24 AM
LE PAUL JAGGER Thank yo l&a ant Jacques.

My english is better than my french?
I don't think so but maybe ...
I speak so much in French so in english....

tHANKS FOR YOU WELCOMING;

Im'in Rocks off guys.

Yeah yeah yeah ooooooooooooh
March 9th, 2005 03:34 AM
Poplar
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
This time frame of six weeks to complete all this is very unrealistic. And to say they are not even finished writing the songs??? I just cannot see it. Bands of this scale simply do not work at this rate these days. Neither does the recording process. No major band today writes, rehearses, records, mixes, and masters an album with cover-art and everything in six weeks. Recording alone, usually takes a months by itself. Sometimes up to six months or more.

six months is too long. six weeks sounds about right.
March 9th, 2005 04:03 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
LE PAUL JAGGER wrote:
Thank yo l&a ant Jacques.

My english is better than my french?
I don't think so but maybe ...
I speak so much in French so in english....

tHANKS FOR YOU WELCOMING;

Im'in Rocks off guys.

Yeah yeah yeah ooooooooooooh

bienvenue chez les fous maumau!!
one more frenchie!!
cheers
JU (de montpell'yeah )
March 9th, 2005 04:18 AM
LE PAUL JAGGER Why do you never come to the french forum "the world is stones" men?
March 9th, 2005 04:39 AM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
Supposeably he did tell a fellow at the airport that Ronnie hasn't been involved very much yet. But he never stated that Mick and Keith were still writing songs. He simply stated that Ronnie wasn't involved much. My thought is Mick, Keith, and Charlie already laid down what they need.

Ronnie could lay his overdubs in not much time at all.

(blah blah blah)

ok..so its going to be a Rolling Stones album with only four people (three so far) involved in playing all the instruments

see here :

http://www.novogate.com/board/968/209354-1.html

Bill Perks is right. I dont know why I bother!

[Edited by Gazza]
March 9th, 2005 10:30 AM
Gazza >This time frame of six weeks to complete all this is very unrealistic. And to say they are not even finished writing the songs??? I just cannot see it. Bands of this scale simply do not work at this rate these days.

balls

> Neither does the recording process. No major band today writes,

the writing is as good as done. They've had at least two separate lengthy sessions to work on basic tracks

>rehearses,

what is there to rehearse once the songs are finished. very little. They rehearse the songs in the studio and then try and record them.

>records,

6 weeks is all that SW and BTB took

> mixes,

not the Stones' job. Can be done in a week or two

> and masters an album

not the Stones' job. Can be done in days.

>with cover-art

not the Stones' job.

>and everything in six weeks.

never said the whole process would take 6 weeks. Just that the recording could easily be done in that time. The band's involvement in any aspects of making a record apart from recording the songs is minimal.

> Recording alone, usually takes a months by itself. Sometimes up to six months or more.

utter balls. when was the last time the Stones spent 6 months in studios RECORDING tracks for an album?

so now you're saying the Stones would need to record for six months to have an album ready, yet you've stated ad nauseam the recordings are effectively done. Where and when did these six months or so of invisible sessions take place over the last few years?

The Stones have barely spent six days together in the last 18 months, let alone six months.

[Edited by Gazza]
March 9th, 2005 11:16 AM
keith_tif Hello for all french stone's fan on this board!

I'm french too and it's a good news if some Stones' members are in France! I hope that next album should be great!
March 9th, 2005 11:23 AM
Snappy McJack Is it possible to be more analytical than Ian? I think not!
March 9th, 2005 12:12 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:

ok..so its going to be a Rolling Stones album with only four people (three so far) involved in playing all the instruments

see here :

http://www.novogate.com/board/968/209354-1.html

[Edited by Gazza]

I see that. And I'm glad you brought it up. Gazza, I know what you base your opinions on and that is all good. I never believe this stuff unless it sounds somewhat plausable. Why? Because the Stones camp are almost always 1. evasive
2. Bullshitting for the most part. Unless, one of them comes right out and says it in black and white.

For instance: Here it is, the second week of March and according to Daryl Jones, their lead bass player mind you, he hasn't even been contacted as to when he is supposed to rehearse and record with them? Does that sound legit to you?

That's Bullocks and we both know that.
So is the statement on their web-site acting as if they just got together again to write some more songs and it's March...

Ian
March 9th, 2005 12:40 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Gazza wrote:

'Cause you're a good bloke, Gazza.

[Edited by Monkey Woman]
Page: 1 2 3
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood