ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Estadio Universitario, Monterrey, NL México March 1, 2006
© Fernando Aceves
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Judge For Yourself Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
24th February 2006 11:27 AM
Jumping Jack I drove to work this morning with one of the new 81 Detroit SBs and the Rio 06 CDs in my deck.

Try it yourself and draw your own conclusions. Rio stacks up pretty damn well to these 81 SBs IMHO and is mighty nice when cranked up.

Further, stagnant as the 05-06 set lists may be, they vary much more than 81 and I prefer the 06 setlist to 81.

Just one person's opinions and we all have them.

What say you?
24th February 2006 11:29 AM
speedfreakjive i reckon they are roughly the same in performance quality
24th February 2006 11:30 AM
Break The Spell The set-lists this tour are a bit better, but the raw power of 81 I like better. Plus in 81 you had Ian Stewart who had that more authentic Stones sound and playing style than Chuckles.
24th February 2006 11:41 AM
gimmekeef 81 always seems to get divided opinions.For me it was the least interesting tour.Way too much non Bobby Keys sax ruins almost every song.Each song played in same tempo which personally I find makes them all sound too similar...Others love it though so guess its personal taste.Much prefer 2005/06....BTW..Jumpin Jack any update on the release of the Drake ATL2???..Salivatin like a Pavlov dog!.......
24th February 2006 11:46 AM
Ihavelotsajam The backing singers... no bloody backing singers in 81!!

That's the main difference.
24th February 2006 11:53 AM
voodoopug
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
81 always seems to get divided opinions.For me it was the least interesting tour.Way too much non Bobby Keys sax ruins almost every song.Each song played in same tempo which personally I find makes them all sound too similar...Others love it though so guess its personal taste.Much prefer 2005/06....BTW..Jumpin Jack any update on the release of the Drake ATL2???..Salivatin like a Pavlov dog!.......

edited as my post made no sense, i misread the original post.

[Edited by voodoopug]
24th February 2006 11:54 AM
glencar The back-up singers are a definite drag.
24th February 2006 11:56 AM
deuce
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

Bobby Keys was not on hardly any of the 1981 Tour, Ernie Watts is the Sax man there, replaced by Gene Barge in Europe. Bobby did do a few dates, but the large amount of sax you hear (see Going to a Go Go) is Ernie Watts (www.erniewatts.com)

Pug, he said way too much "NON Bobby Keys sax"
24th February 2006 11:56 AM
jb Until I received from the great Throbby the 7 disc "Jersey Devils" series, my opinion of 81 was average....However, as I was told by many, it turns out 81 , and not 78, was last great Stones....simply a pleasure to listen to Ronnie and Keith's guitars, and if you ever had doubts about what Wyman meant to the Stones rhythym section, my god he is awesome in 81!!!!
24th February 2006 11:58 AM
voodoopug
quote:
deuce wrote:

Pug, he said way too much "NON Bobby Keys sax"

my mistake, thanks!
24th February 2006 11:59 AM
glencar Jersey Devils? Thanks in advance for sending it along to me Joshy!
24th February 2006 12:08 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
Until I received from the great Throbby the 7 disc "Jersey Devils" series, my opinion of 81 was average....However, as I was told by many, it turns out 81 , and not 78, was last great Stones....simply a pleasure to listen to Ronnie and Keith's guitars, and if you ever had doubts about what Wyman meant to the Stones rhythym section, my god he is awesome in 81!!!!

I absolutely LOVE hearing boots from the 1981 Tour . Whenever I listen to " Hampton '81 " I get that " The Party Has Just Started Feeling " .... Indeed , I hear barkers and see colored balloons falling down all around me .............. and you's ?!?!?!

Snarky !
24th February 2006 12:10 PM
glencar Seeing that guy get hit with the geetar? Priceless!
24th February 2006 12:12 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Seeing that guy get hit with the geetar? Priceless!

Now that Johnny Carson has passed from this orb , there are two individuals in the entertainment industry that Nobody F##ks with ......... Keith Richards & Pete Townshend . Word .

Johnny Carson .
24th February 2006 12:19 PM
glencar Please, lil kids fuck with Petey. Word up.
24th February 2006 12:53 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
For me it was the least interesting tour.Way too much non Bobby Keys sax ruins almost every song.

Not enough Bobby Keys...it was Ernie Watts who played most of the sax that tour; he was AWFUL!!!

24th February 2006 12:56 PM
nankerphelge '81 is highly overrated

24th February 2006 12:56 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

Not enough Bobby Keys...it was Ernie Watts who played most of the sax that tour; he was AWFUL!!!

I think they realized this, which is what eventaully led to Bobby Keys being allowed back on stage with them again.
24th February 2006 01:15 PM
jb
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
'81 is highly overrated

I thought so as well..but the boots are very good. Keith and Ronnie very strong on "All Down the Line", "She's so Cold", etc....I agree, that the set-list was weak, and Ernie Watts had way too much exposure, but overall, last great Stones tour imo....
24th February 2006 01:17 PM
glencar Cranking guitars but Mick's voice was shoddy.
24th February 2006 01:19 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
glencar wrote:
Cranking guitars but Mick's voice was shoddy.

I think its because he was so damn hyper on that tour, running all over, jumping up and down, etc. He still does some of that now, but paces himself better and his vocals are better for it.
24th February 2006 01:20 PM
glencar Wrongo! It was the coke. He was doing mountains of it.
24th February 2006 01:22 PM
nankerphelge The guitars sound horrible in '81.

What good is the weave if it sounds like hell?
Wyman's bass was the best sounding guitar the whole tour.

Jagger didn't sing, he grunted.

All songs were played fast, except the fast ones which were played really fast.

The sax sucked
The stage sucked

All-in-all, '81 was a B at best.

The 26-27 song setlist was the only thing worth it!

And yeah I have Jersey Devils (thanks once again good Sir) -- and while it is good, it is still 1981

Can't make chicken soup outta chicken shit!

24th February 2006 01:25 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
glencar wrote:
Wrongo! It was the coke. He was doing mountains of it.

How long did his coke habit last?
24th February 2006 01:27 PM
Jumping Jack ADTL was rarely played in 81. When played it was tremendous though!

Jersey Devils and Kings of Drugs are 2 MUST HAVES from 81!

Rio is a must have from 06 and a rael treat after all the audience recordings!

Not sure what Drake is up to. Perhaps the Good Sister is helping him?
24th February 2006 01:28 PM
glencar
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

How long did his coke habit last?

A few years, I think.
24th February 2006 01:35 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Joey wrote:

Now that Johnny Carson has passed from this orb ,blah blah blah....

Johnny Carson .

And therein lies the connecting thread ... Ernie Watts was from the Tonight Show band.

WTF???? Was THAT the start of the "Vegas Stones"? Methinks it was!

Who the hell gets their horn players from the Tonight Show? Was Doc busy? Skitch Henderson in rehab?

I demand horn players with sunglasses and drug problems!
24th February 2006 01:43 PM
PeerQueer Jagger started coking more intensely during the late 70's Disco-era days when he really upped his jetset lifestyle - this trend continued to around the mid-80's when he began to really become devoted to better health - likely as a result of turning 40... He is now, as has often been said, an amazing physical marvel who at 62 years of age could run circles around the young man he was some 30 years ago...

And I agree with the premise that the '81 tour is average at best--Mick's singing was at times horrific. Ron and Keith were ok - Bill was quite good, even Charlie was not up to his usual level of play...I recall reading somewhere that Mick's weigh during the 81 tour was about 135 pounds...that is way too thin and his health was likely very precarious during that tour...

Mick's singing and overall health is far stronger now than then - and Charlie is consistently very good each and every night, Keith and Ron are the mixed bag of quality these days...
24th February 2006 01:50 PM
Joey
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

I demand horn players with sunglasses and drug problems!

You make Joey smile .
24th February 2006 02:04 PM
glencar Meeting run over?
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)