ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Estadio Universitario, Monterrey, NL México March 1, 2006
© Fernando Aceves
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Judge For Yourself Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
24th February 2006 03:36 PM
FPM C10 toilet run over?

24th February 2006 03:38 PM
Joey
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
toilet run over?

******* END TRANSMISSION **********
24th February 2006 04:57 PM
mrhipfl Is Ernie Watts related to Charlie? In what way?
24th February 2006 05:08 PM
Throwaway no relation...Ernie was decent at times, but sometimes ruined songs like "imagination" with his wank-y playing
24th February 2006 05:16 PM
nanatod Ernie's official website doesn't even mention the Stones at all. That's "wank-y."
24th February 2006 06:17 PM
Bob Tamp Although Jagger was doing some coke I dont think he was as fucked up as some think. He was pretty much a health nut on the 1981 tour too. Back in 1981, a rock star at 38 years old was a very old man indeed. LIFE magazine showed him working out which was really the first time the media focused on how hard he works to get in shape for a tour. I think he probably got more drunk than coked during that tour. Too me, the coke years were 72 through 78. 1981 was the first tour that Jagger really started the ALL OUT PROFESSIONALISM
25th February 2006 07:46 AM
Jumping Jack Take a good look at Hampton 81. Coke was delivered by dump truck!
25th February 2006 08:49 AM
theanchorman Hi everyone -
I've been viewing this board for 4 or so years now and love everyone's enthusiasm for this ledgendary band...

Finally decided to register so I can kick my 2 cents in.

IMO - both tours come out to a tie for me...
In 81 Keith could still play. In 81 Mich wasn't singing...
Wyman kicked mucho butt on the 81 tour...And Ronnie couldn't play EITHER tour.

I'd pick 81...
Although I haven't worshipped the Stones live since Taylor was in the band. Ron was the worst thing that ever happened to the Stones...

Peace.
25th February 2006 11:33 AM
Throwaway Anchorman: listen to Black Limousine, Shattered, or Imagination from Hampton...and you'll see that Ronnie could play!
25th February 2006 11:34 AM
jb 100% correct sir................
25th February 2006 11:47 AM
theanchorman
quote:
Throwaway wrote:
Anchorman: listen to Black Limousine, Shattered, or Imagination from Hampton...and you'll see that Ronnie could play!

Wood was always a total wanker on the guitar...

All due respect - but the guy is a hack...he was brought into the band as a playmate for keith and as a go-between for mick and keith...

just stating the facts...
25th February 2006 11:49 AM
glencar Whilst I don't totally disagree with you, those aren't facts; they're your opinions. Yes, Ronnie is a buffer between the Glimmer Twins & yes, he's no MT. But he still can play & it's been a nice surprise on this tour.
25th February 2006 12:00 PM
theanchorman
quote:
glencar wrote:
Whilst I don't totally disagree with you, those aren't facts; they're your opinions. Yes, Ronnie is a buffer between the Glimmer Twins & yes, he's no MT. But he still can play & it's been a nice surprise on this tour.

It's pretty damn close to fact...

Listen - for a band the stature of the Stones...they should have someone exceptional on lead guitar...Ronnie just didn't belong in the band. At his peak - 75-78...his playing was iffy - I won't even comment on his post 80's playing. Listen to any tour after 81 and he's actually assaulting on the ears. What he does on a solo like start me up my cat can duplicate...
It's embarrassing...

I couldn't stand the tours they did in 75, 78, 81, 89...they were horrible...

I must admit that Mick and Keith impressed me on the VL & B2B tours...it always sounded like they were missing a real lead guitar player...

Christ, check out what they did live in 72 & 73 and it stands up to any other bands' live show...but after that the band suffered...

You're right though - not fact, just my opinion (and anyone else who has any taste =)
25th February 2006 12:02 PM
glencar Almost everyone here has good taste.
25th February 2006 12:22 PM
Throwaway May I suggest listening to the following to change your mind:
75: Happy, Brown Sugar, Hot Stuff, YCAGWYW, etc from LYL
78: any Respectable, All Down The Line, etc
81: the entire LSTNT movie
89: Start Me Up from Flashpoint, Undercover (Atlantic City)
94: Out of tears
97: Out of t..i mean Control
02: Cant You Hear Me Knocking
05: Back of my Hand
25th February 2006 12:45 PM
theanchorman
quote:
Throwaway wrote:
May I suggest listening to the following to change your mind:

Been there, heard that...
Woods a wanker on guitar.
Please watch ladies and gentlemen and come back to me.

He couldn't carry Taylor's jock strap.
25th February 2006 12:54 PM
jb i'M THER BIGEST tAYLORITE ON THE BOARD...THE MAN WAS/IS A GOD AND ELEVATED THE BAND TO HEIGHTS NEVER SENN PRIOR TO OR AFTER HIS DEPARTURE...WE WEREW SIMPLY THE GREATEST MACHINE ON EARTH. NONETHELESS, RONNIE DID A ADEQUATE JOB FROM 75-81. SINCE THEN HE , LIKE KEITH, HAS DECLINED DRAMATICALLY...HOWEVER, I HAVE BEEN PLEASENTLY SURPRISED BY HOW NICELY BOTH ARE PLAYING MOST F THE TIME THIS TOUR.
25th February 2006 03:16 PM
Throwaway I'm not saying Wood could play a better solo on Sympathy than MT did on Ya Ya's, Ronnie aint no MT but hes far from wankery, suckiness, etc. No doubt L&G, Ya Ya's, and Sticky Fingers are untouchable, but thats not to say the Stones are nothing live without MT. If you dont like post-MT stuff like Handsome Girls, Hampton 81, or Tokyo '90, I'm sorry you dont enjoy what many consider to be great live Stones.
25th February 2006 03:25 PM
jb Agreed
25th February 2006 04:04 PM
glencar Double agreed. Ronnie slacked off in the mid-90's but he's working hard now. Most nights anyway.
25th February 2006 04:14 PM
Joey " What he does on a solo like start me up my cat can duplicate...
It's embarrassing... "

Pretty Friggin Funny ........................

Please don't tell anyone ............. Please ..... Let's just keep this between ourselves ..................... but you are RAPIDLY becoming one of me favorite posters around here .

I have got my eye on you this week .

Joeykins !
25th February 2006 06:01 PM
theanchorman
quote:
Throwaway wrote:
I'm not saying Wood could play a better solo on Sympathy than MT did on Ya Ya's, Ronnie aint no MT but hes far from wankery, suckiness, etc. No doubt L&G, Ya Ya's, and Sticky Fingers are untouchable, but thats not to say the Stones are nothing live without MT. If you dont like post-MT stuff like Handsome Girls, Hampton 81, or Tokyo '90, I'm sorry you dont enjoy what many consider to be great live Stones.

Ok.....I can listen to the shows you just named and enjoy them. But I also yearn to hear those shows with someone that can actually play a good guitar solo....I'll listen to shows with Wood there and get off on them - but it's always in the back of my mind that it could be ten times better if they had someone capable playing....

Not sure if there are any guitarists on this board (there must be) - but I could play circles around Ronnie with a broken finger on my fretting hand. The guy was never a legitmate, fluid guitar player.
25th February 2006 09:13 PM
WhenTheWhipComesDown If Ronnie was not with the Stones, who would you guys pick
instead? Oh Ronnie's wife Jo is supposed to have a natural
beauty regimen out from what I have read.
26th February 2006 09:24 AM
theanchorman
quote:
WhenTheWhipComesDown wrote:
If Ronnie was not with the Stones, who would you guys pick
instead? Oh Ronnie's wife Jo is supposed to have a natural
beauty regimen out from what I have read.

Any 1/2 ways decent player that plays a les paul...
26th February 2006 11:27 AM
gimmekeef I agree the Taylor years far and away the best.Ronnie is fair at best mots nights these days.But here in Atlanta 3 weeks ago he played by far the best I have ver heard him in 30 yrs.Stunning actually.Wait for the boot...and see what I mean....bUt it was just one night....rare but magic anyway!...
27th February 2006 01:24 AM
Zack
quote:
theanchorman wrote:

but it's always in the back of my mind that it could be ten times better if they had someone capable playing....

Unfortunately, I have to agree I think the same thing sometimes.

The guy was never a legitmate, fluid guitar player.

There are some damn fine moments on the Faces box. "I'd Rather Go Blind" jumps to mind.
27th February 2006 04:32 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
theanchorman wrote:

It's pretty damn close to fact...

I couldn't stand the tours they did in 75, 78, 81, 89...they were horrible...

81 seriously kicks ass.You should try the great sdb like Seattle or Hampton.
Or may be stick out the bananas you got in your ears!
27th February 2006 03:16 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Throwaway wrote:
May I suggest listening to the following to change your mind:

I hate to be devils advocate, but the majority of the songs you mention have been remixed and overdubbed several times (particularly Love You Live and FLashpoint), and even I can play a pretty decent guitar part if I am giving hundreds of takes at it. It is only fair to compare pure live recordings with no overdubbing/editing to get the true facts.
27th February 2006 04:25 PM
Jumping Jack The earlier shows like Seattle had better setlists including ADTL and Star Star than later setlists like Hampton, IMHO.
27th February 2006 09:26 PM
theanchorman
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

81 seriously kicks ass.You should try the great sdb like Seattle or Hampton.
Or may be stick out the bananas you got in your ears!

Whatever. The difference between the 72/73 tours to that of the 81 tour is beyond night and day. It's like comparing Led Zeppelin to Duran Duran.

The 72/73 tours kicked ass...81 was barely passable. Jagger wasn't even singing...

Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)