ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Estadio Universitario, Monterrey, NL México March 1, 2006
© Fernando Aceves
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Philips Arena, Atlanta, February 8, 2006 - setlist, photos and reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
9th February 2006 07:00 AM
Break The Spell "Sway", "Worried About You" and "Midnight Rambler" all in the same set, wish I could have been there, but I did get to see the debut of "Sway" last fall. They did a pretty good job on it, sadly it went over most people's heads that were there. I even heard one guy ask another guy what song it was, and his reply was that he thought it was on their new album since it was something he never heard...
9th February 2006 07:58 AM
Maxlugar Hotlanta = NOT Omaha'd!
9th February 2006 08:00 AM
atlantamoi 40-year-old here seeing them for the first time. I'm not someone set in their musical ways. Still purchasing new music and like my rock sweaty, messy and often-times bar-band alternative small (did that make sense lol?) Think The White Stripes. Very much enjoyed the show last night. It didn't matter to me that they played some less known songs since this is my only time to see them, but I'm THRILLED they played "Midnight Rambler". One thing I really sense watching them was how much they click when they get into a bluesy vibe. That song and "Night Time" were highights to me.

We were sitting smack dab in the middle, but in the 2nd level in the back. Not great, but good enough... especially when they wheeled forward the stage. I loved how the small stage had the amps cranked up and it really sounded rough. Like in a small bar. And that is my only complaint about the show. There was nothing the band really could have done any better. But at times they seem swamped by the stage and arena. I realize that a show like this can be considered "intimate" for such a popular band, but I can't imagine how much better that would have been in a theater setting. Or club. This is more of a bitch against arenas vs. clubs. For most of my 20's I only went to small club shows because of this (and price).

Anyway, it was awesome to finally see these guys after lovin' on 'em for over 25 years. Their age hardly seemed to be any factor at all. Man, I'm happy they are pressing on!
9th February 2006 08:05 AM
DoctorStones I don't wanna complain but WTF does Chuck do on the collage picture ???
Since when is he a Rolling Stone ?
I am by far not a Chuck basher, but Darryl deserves to be there as much as Chuck IMO.
Both or none
9th February 2006 08:58 AM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
atlantamoi wrote:
40-year-old here seeing them for the first time. I'm not someone set in their musical ways. Still purchasing new music and like my rock sweaty, messy and often-times bar-band alternative small (did that make sense lol?) Think The White Stripes. Very much enjoyed the show last night. It didn't matter to me that they played some less known songs since this is my only time to see them, but I'm THRILLED they played "Midnight Rambler". One thing I really sense watching them was how much they click when they get into a bluesy vibe. That song and "Night Time" were highights to me.

We were sitting smack dab in the middle, but in the 2nd level in the back. Not great, but good enough... especially when they wheeled forward the stage. I loved how the small stage had the amps cranked up and it really sounded rough. Like in a small bar. And that is my only complaint about the show. There was nothing the band really could have done any better. But at times they seem swamped by the stage and arena. I realize that a show like this can be considered "intimate" for such a popular band, but I can't imagine how much better that would have been in a theater setting. Or club. This is more of a bitch against arenas vs. clubs. For most of my 20's I only went to small club shows because of this (and price).

Anyway, it was awesome to finally see these guys after lovin' on 'em for over 25 years. Their age hardly seemed to be any factor at all. Man, I'm happy they are pressing on!

Hi, that's a great review.
9th February 2006 09:45 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
atlantamoi wrote:
40-year-old here seeing them for the first time. I'm not someone set in their musical ways. Still purchasing new music and like my rock sweaty, messy and often-times bar-band alternative small (did that make sense lol?) Think The White Stripes. Very much enjoyed the show last night. It didn't matter to me that they played some less known songs since this is my only time to see them, but I'm THRILLED they played "Midnight Rambler". One thing I really sense watching them was how much they click when they get into a bluesy vibe. That song and "Night Time" were highights to me.

Glad you had a good time!! how was Woody during "Sway"??
9th February 2006 10:02 AM
Jumping Jack Chuck was the reason for the setlist and is an Atlanta homeboy!!! Get over it!
9th February 2006 10:04 AM
Jumping Jack What a great evening, and it certainly was great seeing so many happy Shidoobeeans again!!! I won’t start listing you all so I don’t forget anyone, a simple thanks for all the “greetings”!!!

We started the afternoon visiting Ronnie’s art exhibit at the Woodruff Art Center. They had about 40 pieces. Klimart was the sponsor, the same folks that did the exhibit in Montreal. They had the last one of several pieces and the prices have once again gone up from Vegas! Bumped into IGTBA and Operations there and enjoyed the experience.

The pre-party was a gas, gas, gas. Shidoobee karma was in full force. So who won a ticket upgrade? Greg Potash, Doug’s brother!!! A ticket contest was also held for the best Jagger impression. Although there were many good efforts, Phil with his mask makes this a no contest. Phil does Mick better than Johnny Depp does Keith!!!

The official upgrades were sweet, but the unofficial upgrades were even better! Fred and Teri Hardin helped many Shidoobeans get into the 4th row with his 5/9. IGTBA had also volunteered help. Thanks again guys, you are the best! Anyway, a plan was hatched in the pre-party to help Karliemarie join us in the 4th row, Ronnie’s side. About 5 mins before show time with a little ticket swapping she was in the comfy confines of our group of 12 Shidoobs. The Madame, Jaggerfan1, Stonesissippi and his wife were behind us, and Chelsealady was in the front row in front of us. With Chelsealady standing on the rail my lovely wife Tippytoe decided to take one for the team and make a little more room in our row. Tippytoe did just that with a move that would make even Exile Mark green with envy, and tippytoed up next to Chelsealady and the front row rail.

Chipman was sitting next to me and I told him to watch this, she will charm the security guards, not only stay there, but ask for pics in the process. That’s exactly what happened. She ended up with pics and the printed set list and plenty of extended flirting with Mick and Keith, with lots of thanks and kisses thrown to Chuck for the exceptional set list!!! I will let her tell the stories from her vantage point!

The best story of the night belongs to VoodooAllie. I don’t want to steal her thunder, but the short version is as follows. Many know she was evacuated in the aftermath of Katrina and stayed in Atlanta for a while. Her friends have a son that she very much wanted to take to the October show, but it did not work out. This time was different, and she had the 2 seats next to the walkway, front row, Keef’s side, the best in the house. Anyway, near the end of the show Lord Richards hops down off the stage and walks up to the young man and hands him a pic. Unfreaking believable!!! Talk about being greeted, the young lad was greeted by the man himself in front of 20,000, a memory of a lifetime. Yes Mr. L., the house was packed and rocking big time.

ATLANTA DESERVES A THIRD SHOW, FOX THEATER FALL 2006! WORD!!!

As for the show, it was among the best shows I have ever seen going back to 1975! The sound was exceptional and the boys were too. Mick sounded great and Ronnie was playing as well as I have ever seen him play. He was absolutely on fire and just killing every song. Keef was having a great night as well until the encore with Brown Sugar. Once again he blew the intro to Brown Sugar. Blew is not the right term, perhaps butchered is better because the song just stopped and he stood there crouched over just hanging his arms and head before starting over. Humiliated!!!! I am starting to wonder if he isn’t doing this on purpose just to jack Mick around a bit? They recovered, but after a near perfect show, I guess something had to happen. I will let Wendy describe what she saw later in the song, but while Keith was having fun with our ladies up front, Mick had some “kind” words for him, LOL! I’ll bet Keef had fun with Phil’s Jagger mask after the show. Ask for some front row seats Phil.

The lack of any CDs from the October show were clearly a black mark on Atlanta and we were humiliated!!! Rest assured, amends will be made this time around. The gallant (wwwsoul’s perfect description) Drake Hatfield was in the house. If you want to hear Sway, just find out which shows Drake is going to, or better yet, buy the man a ticket!!! He was given his props in the pre-party, and greeted like a Pittsburgh Steeler, hero to all who love bootlegs! Assuming he was not seriously impaired by the whiskey sours, and assuming nothing went wrong with the recording process, we should soon have an excellent boot of the show. Thank you Drake, we all appreciate your efforts!

I am a bit tired and don’t know what else to say. Tippytoe finally got an excellent version of Rambler, and despite the security, I managed to get back to the B-stage right behind the Madame so she didn’t have to look over my tall head and enjoyed that set. Keef seemed to spend most of his time on Ronnie’s side and they were clearly loving every minute. Lots of Shidoobee thanks were given by Chuck. Someone threw a stuffed white teddy bear with a red Valentine’s Day heart up to Mick who put it on Charlie’s drums between songs. He seemed to get a real kick out of it. Speaking of Charlie, Chipman got his drumstick. I was watching the confetti coming down, when Charlie’s drumstick hit the chair in front of me. I should have been paying more attention because it would have been mine, but I am glad it went to a worthy Shidoobeans.

That’s all for now, I need another cup of coffee. Perhaps more later when I wake up.

ps, anyone that complains about the way Ronnie or Keith are playing this tour can just kiss my behind. They were absolutely on their game last night playing as well as ever. I enjoyed every minute! A++ to Mick, Keith, Charlie, Daryl, Chuck and the lovely Lisa. Thank you for another great evening. See you in Radio City if not sooner!!!
9th February 2006 10:09 AM
gimmekeef Wow..still rockin from last night.Drake was there with machine in hand so lets hope he caught this awesome show.Walkin in we passed teh soundboard and I stole a peak and said to the guy.."wow tonight we get Sway"...he grinned and grabbed the sheet..lol..Anyway sound was very good from 13th row dead middle Keithside.The killer setlist (first half anyway) was a beauty.Ronnie hit every note perfect..absolutely the best he has played in the 30 plus shows I have seen since 75.Not even close..he was that good!The interplay with Keith was excellent and drove the show forward.Highlights were Sway/Worried/Rambler/Oh No...no clunkers or misfires.(cept Keiths double start on BS last encore!...lol)Only change they could have made was drop a warhorse from the last run and put in PIB...But overall it was outstanding..crowd alive,guitars on fire..Mick and Charlie as usual on their game...preparty rocked and a fabulous time was had by all!!!!!!!!
9th February 2006 10:16 AM
luvcharlie Hi, everyone! Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

The show in ATL last night was my first time seeing the Stones. I'm only 26 so I haven't had all that many opportunities to see them, but I've been a fan for a while now. It was the most fantastic show I've ever seen!! Of course, that probably goes without saying.

I am so glad that we decided to make the trip. I am in law school at Ole Miss which is about 45 minutes from Memphis, TN. (We didn't make the Memphis show in December due to finals and low funds.) However, we do have tickets for Little Rock next month. Anyway, I'm sitting in class yesterday and my fiancee IM's me that he found awesome seats...he's from ATL and he's seen them here several times...so we decide to make the trip about 1:00. We left at 3:00 (central time). It's a 5-hour drive and we forgot that we'd lose an hour due to the time change. We drove like crazy and walked in to the arena literally five minutes before the Stones took the stage.

THEN, they played Worried About You and made my entire life. I would've made the whole trip just for that song. We discussed it on the drive and my fiancee said that they never play it...BUT THEY DID!!! It was definitely worth the stress. (And the class I'm skipping today.) Like somebody said before, when they pulled out that keyboard and set it up for Mick, I just knew it. And I lost my shit a little. Question: Does he play the piano on any other songs?

I hope to get to know everybody on here. I really like this board! Hope y'all didn't mind my little story.

-Carrie
[Edited by luvcharlie]
9th February 2006 10:17 AM
glencar BS is now an encore?
9th February 2006 10:30 AM
Maxlugar Thank God the good people of Atlanta and the surrounding areas were not Omaha'd. They didn't deserve to be.

Thanks for the great review Jumping Jack.
9th February 2006 10:32 AM
gimmekeef Glencar..yes the last song of teh show..right after YCAGWYW
9th February 2006 10:33 AM
atlantamoi Regarding Keith's flub at the start of Brown Sugar. I have to admit, I kind of like when stuff like that happens. I wouldn't want to hear some horrid four minute song, but a few bad notes here and there make the experience seem more real. It's funny. Saw Depeche Mode a few months ago and Dave started singing the wrong song, stopped and laughed, then went on. Doesn't bother me at all.

Thanks for the reviews. I'm enjoying seeing what the old timers think!
9th February 2006 10:37 AM
charlotte yep, wait to you hear the bump from Keith on BS and HTW...but only two brief misfires,Keith/Ronnie had those guns blazing, Mick was really pumping cock in front of a couple of beauties...excellent job Atlanta-Great crowd!!

Charlotte 9.7 energy par excellence
Baltimore 9.6 super small venue(let do let pass atmosphere)
Atlanta 9.6 my first Sway great crowd
Giants 9.47 birthday
Durham 9.38 very well organized, hassle free
UVA 9.2(great set-list but too many freaking hassles)

No 10's - only because the lack of ABB( I needed to hear by now 6 shows at least 8 from ABB)
9th February 2006 10:39 AM
Lazy Bones Welcome to the board, luvcharlie! Glad to hear you enjoyed the show.

Worried About You, btw, was performed 8 times on the LIKCS tour. New York (1st MSG show), St. Louis and Atlanta are the only performances that have been graced with it so far on this tour.
9th February 2006 10:53 AM
glencar I'd much rather hear WAY than Angie, Ruby Tuesday or even Wild Horses.
9th February 2006 11:08 AM
gimmekeef WAY...was played exceptionally well last night.Should be put in regular rotation....
9th February 2006 12:17 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
WAY...was played exceptionally well last night.Should be put in regular rotation....

Amen!
9th February 2006 12:25 PM
Jumping Jack Hey JB,

The highlight of the night was being "greeted" by gimmekeef, LOL!
9th February 2006 12:29 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Hey JB,

Canucks have that effect on people...
9th February 2006 12:35 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Hey JB,

Jumpin Jack likewise it was a pleasure re-acquanting with you and your lovely wife..We made it home up 85 with no incidents.And just to clear matters..I'd hardly put my greeting ahead of the outstanding show we saw!..but appreciate your kind words....Lets keep our fingers for Mr Drake!
9th February 2006 12:39 PM
Jumping Jack 400 was inded closed at Mansell. Good thing you went the other way.

Thanks for the kind word Maxlugar!
9th February 2006 02:50 PM
Martha Wish I'd have been there.

What a set-list!

Withdrawl is not a good thing......
9th February 2006 04:27 PM
erikjjf
quote:
glencar wrote:
BS is now an encore?

And it has been a few times, this tour.
See setlists from MSG 9/13, Albany, Pittsburgh, Philly 10/12, Miami, Las Vegas 11/18.
9th February 2006 04:42 PM
glencar I didn't realize it was done that often. I missed it at the 9/13 show because I had to catch a train but it's my least favorite of the warhorses.
9th February 2006 08:38 PM
mickmask Anybody know why the show was late starting?
I heard it was an hour late.

mm.
9th February 2006 08:52 PM
Honky Tonker Great review, JJ. I looked for you at JAJ. I was the 2nd place finisher in the dance contest. No way to beat the masked man! Fun party, super show!

Honky Tonker AKA high rocks AKA Elmo Lewis AKA Scotty
10th February 2006 01:18 AM
interzone
quote:
DoctorStones wrote:
I don't wanna complain but WTF does Chuck do on the collage picture ???
Since when is he a Rolling Stone ?
I am by far not a Chuck basher, but Darryl deserves to be there as much as Chuck IMO.
Both or none

Chuck deserves to be six feet under. He's practically ruined the band with his intrusive playing, and his larding up of the arrangements with countless singers and horn players, though Mick and Keith must take ultimate responsibility for abdicating their responsibilities. Plus, it's embarrassing to watch him on the B-stage, pointing and winking at everyone as if they care to see him. I actually watched him reach down and slap hands that were reaching for Ronnie in Memphis. Leavell is so oblivious, he thinks he's a stone, and not a hired hand.
10th February 2006 01:27 AM
interzone Fascinating that amongst all of these reviews, no one mentions that the band completely screwed up "Get Off My Cloud." Ronnie's guitar went out several seconds into the song and Keith, in typically oblivious fashion, failed to pick up any of the slack, choosing instead to dart in and out with the occasional chord. Yet it was Keith who walked to the back of the B-stage and yelled to the guitar techs that Ronnie's guitar wasn't in the mix. Shameful that they even had to be told. The problem was barely rectified by the end of the song. It was an embarrasment. It honestly sounded so bad that I thought they would have stopped the song. They should have.
[Edited by interzone]
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)