ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Copacabana Palace, Rio de Janeiro
© 1968 Jornal O Globo
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Joe Perry Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
February 10th, 2006 09:48 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Ok

Now it goes without saying that the stones will always be better than Aerosmith. And it also goes without saying that Steve Tyler is just a Mick imitator, all be it with a slightly better voice.

But you have to give it to Joe Perry, he is one fucking excellent guitarist.

Imagine if he had joined the stones instead of Ronnie.

I would have liked to seen that.
February 10th, 2006 09:53 AM
egon I wouldn't.

apples & pears.
[Edited by egon]
February 10th, 2006 09:55 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
Ok

Now it goes without saying that the stones will always be better than Aerosmith. And it also goes without saying that Steve Tyler is just a Mick imitator, all be it with a slightly better voice.

Nah, his and Keith's ego in the same band? Tough call And I'm saying that with all my love for both of them, but I just don't see them mingling together.

Not to mention I don't think anyone fits better in this shoes than Ronnie. Enough said.

I never got the hard feelings towards Aerosmith by Stones fans. They're a great band, they make good records, great music. Tyler is a great frontman, Perry is a great guitarist. Talking of imitation, it's not as the Stones invented all their moves and grooves for Christ's sakes. And if anything, Aerosmith have a great touch with their audience and they seem more grounded - that I admire.

[Edited by FotiniD]
February 10th, 2006 10:16 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I think Aerosmith are very good too.

At least they gave their fans what they wanted. The released an album called "Honkin on Bobo" a few years back and it was a back to basics blues album.

Stones fans have been crying out for one of those from the boys for years.

I dont think for a minute that Perry would get on with Keith. I was thinking more along the musical lines
February 10th, 2006 01:05 PM
voodoopug Perry would sound awful with the Stones and he is not in the same league as Wood/Taylor/Jones/Richards.
February 10th, 2006 01:07 PM
Nellcote He played at my high school in the 70's
I recall asking the janitor to move, so I could see the band better.
The janitor was my uncle, so it helped.
February 10th, 2006 01:23 PM
Dan
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
Perry would sound awful with the Stones and he is not in the same league as Wood/Taylor/Jones/Richards.

Nope, not in the same league at all. He is still alive, sober and doesn't appear to suffering from severe arthritis. At least no arthritis is apparent in his playing.

February 10th, 2006 01:45 PM
Break The Spell I think the 70's Aerosmith albums are great, especially the trilogy of Toys In The Attic / Rocks / Draw The Line.
February 10th, 2006 02:57 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Dan wrote:

Nope, not in the same league at all. He is still alive, sober and doesn't appear to suffering from severe arthritis. At least no arthritis is apparent in his playing.

I think it is more pertinent to compare Perry to THe Edge...both important/talented (although in bands I despise), but not in the same leauge as the big guns (Taylor, Clapton, Hendrix, Richards, Taylor, Wood (if not for his time with the stones, but also with the Faces), etc)
February 10th, 2006 02:59 PM
Dan
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

I think it is more pertinent to compare Perry to THe Edge...both important/talented (although in bands I despise), but not in the same leauge as the big guns (Taylor, Clapton, Hendrix, Richards, Taylor, Wood (if not for his time with the stones, but also with the Faces), etc)

I think Joe Perry would qualify as a "big gun" by now. Taylor, just big.
February 10th, 2006 02:59 PM
Nellcote I think that is giving far more credit to Edge
February 10th, 2006 03:10 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
I think that is giving far more credit to Edge

I think they both suck....arguing who sucks more gives me a headache....neither one of them could carry Mick Taylor's Herion Spoon though!!!!
February 10th, 2006 03:18 PM
Nellcote I would give props to Perry, as most of the band hail from towns quite close to my hacienda.
They are from Boston, which gives it for me.
They've beaten drugs to get to reclaim fame.
They pay homage to blues legends.
I cringe at the covers of Walking The Dog, You Gotta Move, however, as a father, to see them come back from the dead to complete sobriety, will allow a pass for them at anytime.
February 10th, 2006 03:19 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
I would give props to Perry, as most of the band hail from towns quite close to my hacienda.
They are from Boston, which gives it for me.
They've beaten drugs to get to reclaim fame.
They pay homage to blues legends.
I cringe at the covers of Walking The Dog, You Gotta Move, however, as a father, to see them come back from the dead to complete sobriety, will allow a pass for them at anytime.

I have a tough time looking past that stupid Armageddon soundtrack song, but I will give them credit for beating addiction....but will not acknowledge that he would be a fit for the stones!
February 10th, 2006 03:21 PM
ebmp Ronnie Wood will NEVER be a big gun, stop talking shit... Joe Perry is an AWESOME guitar player, although he isnt in the same league as Clapton, Hendrix and Page

The Edge is a good guitarrist and all, but I think hes a better composer.
February 10th, 2006 03:24 PM
Nellcote Pug;
Agreed, it is not a concept which would have ever flown.
Keith would've have never stood to Perry.
Although, I'm sure Tyler is a handle to deal with.
February 10th, 2006 03:26 PM
voodoopug
quote:
ebmp wrote:
Ronnie Wood will NEVER be a big gun, stop talking shit... Joe Perry is an AWESOME guitar player, although he isnt in the same league as Clapton, Hendrix and Page

The Edge is a good guitarrist and all, but I think hes a better composer.

Congrats on your 9th post!

Welcome to the board!

Joe Perry would be humbled and humiliated next to any stones guitarist! He only knows one tone/sound, he does do that well, but no versatility when compared to Ronnie Wood or any other STones guitarist
February 10th, 2006 03:27 PM
rough-justice
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote
\

HA HA HA He is the most messy player Ive ever heard! cant here a note he plays and as VoodooPug said He aint anywhere near the league of MT/RW/KR
February 10th, 2006 03:27 PM
Nellcote I looked down at Aerosmith from my loge seat at the
Orpheum in Bashton, as they relished an evening with
Keith Richards 12/18/88!
February 10th, 2006 03:39 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
I looked down at Aerosmith from my loge seat at the
Keith Richards 12/18/88!

Joe makes it no secret that the Stones are his favorite band, and that does go a long way with me...that is why i do not attack him nearly as much as I do Macca/U2 or U2 Tribute bands.
February 10th, 2006 03:40 PM
Saint Sway Joe Perry is one helluva a player.

that cat is seriously BAD ASS. One of the best.

His chops are ridiculous. Anyone here knocking Joe Perry's skills is only showing how little they know.

his slide on Draw The Line is pure evil. Everyone knows his riffs. But his slide chops are fierce.

that guy has inspired everyone. He's the man.

I caught Joe's solo show earlier this year. It was a showcase of his insane chops. The man is a beast on stage - cut from the cloth of Keef in the 70s times a thousand jolts of energy and bad ass tude. He RIPPED all night!!!!
The guy can flat out shred.

DO NOT tell me Joe Perry cant play. That is just fucking absurd.

Ck out their You Gotta Move dvd. Dudes old and he still tears it up. Fierce!!! He still has IT. Unlike the Stones guitarists he STILL cranks onstage. He flat out PLAYS HIS ASS OFF.

and that solo show I saw was amazing. He had X-Pensive Wino baddass Charely Drayton on bass and Black Crowes Audley Freed on geetar. It was awesome. They wailed. WAILED!

JOE PERRY FOR PRESIDENT!!!

Fuckers!

February 10th, 2006 03:44 PM
voodoopug you compare too many musicians to "1970's Keith Richards" Joe Perry can play, but so can a thousand other people out there, he is nothing special when compared with the top tier players, he just happened to get hooked up with a charismatic frontman and didnt have too big an ego or problem working with others (see Jeff Beck)
February 10th, 2006 03:49 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
you compare too many musicians to "1970's Keith Richards" Joe Perry can play, but so can a thousand other people out there, he is nothing special when compared with the top tier players, he just happened to get hooked up with a charismatic frontman and didnt have too big an ego or problem working with others (see Jeff Beck)

Joe Perry is DEFINATELY cut from the same cloth as Keith.

if you cant see that you're blind

if you cant hear it you're deaf

And he's admittedly a Keef disciple. He worshipped Keith. Still does. Even now he lists Voodoo Lounge & Talk Is Cheap amongst his favorite records.
February 10th, 2006 03:52 PM
Dan
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
I looked down at Aerosmith from my loge seat at the
Keith Richards 12/18/88!

I remember them talking about it interviews at the time and how inspiring they found his version of "Connection."
February 10th, 2006 04:15 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

Joe Perry is DEFINATELY cut from the same cloth as Keith.

if you cant see that you're blind

if you cant hear it you're deaf

And he's admittedly a Keef disciple. He worshipped Keith. Still does. Even now he lists Voodoo Lounge & Talk Is Cheap amongst his favorite records.

NO doubt he is a disciple...but so am I and I do not replicate Keith's sound aside from a few licks. He lacks the versatility that Keef, Taylor, or even Woody has. Sadly, this is the wrong board to argue that Aerosmith has better musicians than the Stones!
February 10th, 2006 04:20 PM
Saint Sway never said he was better.

I'm saying he is GREAT.

Joe Perry rocks.
February 10th, 2006 04:22 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
never said he was better.

I'm saying he is GREAT.

Joe Perry rocks.

I would much prefer to see him playing with different musicians where he is the focus of the show not a sidecar to Liv's Dad.
February 10th, 2006 04:22 PM
mrhipfl Joe Perry is a very skilled guitarist, but having seen both Aerosmith and the Stones less than 3 months ago, I came to the conclusion that Perry doesn't possess nearly as much energy, style, versatility, or amusement as Wood or Richards. Hell, Perry moved maybe 4 steps during the whole show. A snoozefest. He never even smiled, and looked like he wanted to be somewhere else.
[Edited by mrhipfl]
February 10th, 2006 04:25 PM
voodoopug
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
Joe Perry is a very skilled guitarist, but having seen both Aerosmith and the Stones less than 3 months ago, I came to the conclusion that Perry doesn't possess nearly as much energy, style, versatility, or amusement as Wood or Richards. Hell, Perry moved maybe 4 steps during the whole show. A snoozefest. He never even smiled, and looked like he wanted to be somewhere else.
[Edited by mrhipfl]

very similar to "The Edge"

Fantastic post with excellent evidence to back up our opinions!
February 10th, 2006 04:26 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
I came to the conclusion that Perry doesn't possess nearly as much energy, style, versatility, or amusement as Wood

NO ONE. And I mean NO ONE. Is better at walking around and waving to the crowd as Ron Wood.

He has made it an art form.

and he is certainly "ammusing"

personally, I prefer guitarist that actually play their guitar. Guys that stand there and wail.

As much I love getting a wave from Ronnie, for me, its all about whats coming out of the amp.

[Edited by Saint Sway]
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)