ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Copacabana Palace, Rio de Janeiro
Đ 1968 Jornal O Globo
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Joe Perry Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
February 10th, 2006 04:40 PM
nanatod Joe Perry is just ok. As far as guitarists younger than Keith Richards, though, I'd personally take Joey Santiago, Slash, or J Mascis.

Some people think Anton Newcombe may be the most inventive guitarist to come along in a long time.

And if anyone who is reading this thread is in Chicago on Sunday, James "Blood" Ulmer is playing for free downtown!!!!
February 10th, 2006 04:43 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
nanatod wrote:
As far as guitarists younger than Keith Richards...

you'd be hard pressed to find one older

:crashboombah:

"thank you. I'll be performing here at the lovely Days Inn Lounge all weekend."
February 10th, 2006 04:46 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

you'd be hard pressed to find one older

:crashboombah:

"thank you. I'll be performing here at the lovely Days Inn Lounge all weekend."

with wit like that, you really should be writing for the Jay Leno show!
February 10th, 2006 04:54 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

with wit like that, you really should be writing for the Jay Leno show!

:in my best whiny jay leno voice:

"The Rolling Stones are so old.... The new tour will be sponsored by Denture Cream."
February 10th, 2006 04:54 PM
nanatod "you'd be hard pressed to find one older"

Sonny Curtis
Hayden Thompson
David "Honeyboy" Edwards
Robert Jr. Lockwood
Ray Price
Hank Thompson

February 10th, 2006 05:00 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
nanatod wrote:
"you'd be hard pressed to find one older"

Sonny Curtis
Hayden Thompson
David "Honeyboy" Edwards
Robert Jr. Lockwood
Ray Price
Hank Thompson

Congratulations!!!!!

please remember to pick up your prize at the door on your way out
February 10th, 2006 05:19 PM
deuce Joe Perry rules

Keith does too, but you gotta make room for some other cat's too...
February 10th, 2006 05:35 PM
Dan Nice guy too. When he signed an autograph for me he scribbled out the A wings logo too.
February 10th, 2006 06:34 PM
Soldatti He's a nice guy, very sincere.
February 10th, 2006 08:27 PM
ebmp "Congrats on your 9th post!

Welcome to the board!

Joe Perry would be humbled and humiliated next to any stones guitarist! He only knows one tone/sound, he does do that well, but no versatility when compared to Ronnie Wood or any other STones guitarist"

Oh thanks you man.. So, can you tell me how many post must I have to finally have a discussion with you? Then Iīll comeback here

Well, anyway, I wont argue with you, because Stones fans are the most blind fans of any band ever... Aparrently you cant enjoy anything but Stones music. I seriously doubt you have ever listened to Aerosmithīs catalog to say that he would be humiliated before Ronnie Wood. As for your "He only knows one tone/sound" sound comment, Iīm sorry, but as much as I LOVE Keith Richards, his riffs are all the fucking same style... Iīm not saying thatīs bad, itīs his style and I absolutely love it, but donīt talk about versatility here
February 10th, 2006 09:57 PM
voodoopug
quote:
ebmp wrote:
"Congrats on your 9th post!

Welcome to the board!

Joe Perry would be humbled and humiliated next to any stones guitarist! He only knows one tone/sound, he does do that well, but no versatility when compared to Ronnie Wood or any other STones guitarist"

Oh thanks you man.. So, can you tell me how many post must I have to finally have a discussion with you? Then Iīll comeback here

Well, anyway, I wont argue with you, because Stones fans are the most blind fans of any band ever... Aparrently you cant enjoy anything but Stones music. I seriously doubt you have ever listened to Aerosmithīs catalog to say that he would be humiliated before Ronnie Wood. As for your "He only knows one tone/sound" sound comment, Iīm sorry, but as much as I LOVE Keith Richards, his riffs are all the fucking same style... Iīm not saying thatīs bad, itīs his style and I absolutely love it, but donīt talk about versatility here

you must establish some sort of credibility before you come to a stones message board and sing the praises of a band that is no where near the level of the stones.

I was a fan of Aerosmith when I was 15 just like everyone else, fact is ABB is better than anything they have released since the late seventies, and even those "Gems" don't hold a candle to the stones classics. Aerosmith would not have been much of a factor in the eighties if it wasnt for RUN DMC....there was not a decade since the 1960s where the stones havent done something significant. Aerosmith does get big props for releasing Honkin On Bobo, I do have this cd on my ipod and while I dont care for the arrangement on some of the songs, I love the concept and wish the stones would have done it...but they didnt

To me Aerosmith is in that category that falls above The Motley Crues and Van Halens, and below the Springsteen's, The Who's, Yardbirds, of music. An admirable spot...but any comparisons putting them in the same league as the Stones is just far fetched at best.

You must do your research a little better, I enjoy a great deal of other music(Particularly Pearl Jam, a lot of country music, and a great deal of blues, particularly Tommy Castro, Buddy Guy, and Wilson Picket), as has been mentioned numerous time on this board, nothing nearly as much as the stones, and some of it is by subpar bands (Sadly, I enjoy Hall And Oates on occassion), and have played in a couple of bands in the Chicago area that ranged from Petty, Clapton, Zepelin, hendrix, Neil Young, all the way to my last band, a Stones Tribute show. My range of musical knowledge and appreciation is vast, and my opinions subjective with substance (ie, i post about hating U2, but to properly back up my thoughts, I bought my wife and I fourth row tickets to see their show, and was so dissappointed that we left early!)

If you would like an intelligent debate on music...I'd love to indulge you, if you want to attract attention by whoring out the significance of Aerosmith on this board and by calling the meat and potatoes of this board (true stones fans, sometimes referred to as "we")ignorant.....you shall not be greeted!
February 10th, 2006 10:18 PM
ebmp Well first of all, credibility is not made by the number of posts, but by the post itself... Iīm not saying my posts are of great quality, or something, but I could have 2000 posts if I wanted, just making stupid comments. Would I have credibility? I dont think so.

Second, if you read my post, I never praised Aerosmith, and I never put them in the same league as the Stones

The fact is I love Aerosmith, theyīre a great band, but to me they canīt hold a candle to the Stones. I just stated that Joe Perry is an awesome guitar player. WAY better than Ronnie Wood. But then again, Richie Sambora is one of the best players around, millions of times better than Ronnie Wood, but did I put Bon Jovi in the same league as the Stones? No.

And why do you think Iīm trying to atract attention? Just because I didnīt agree with you? Well whatever, Iīm sorry then, Iīll try to keep a low profile, ok?
February 10th, 2006 10:40 PM
voodoopug
quote:
ebmp wrote:
Well first of all, credibility is not made by the number of posts, but by the post itself... Iīm not saying my posts are of great quality, or something, but I could have 2000 posts if I wanted, just making stupid comments. Would I have credibility? I dont think so.

Second, if you read my post, I never praised Aerosmith, and I never put them in the same league as the Stones

The fact is I love Aerosmith, theyīre a great band, but to me they canīt hold a candle to the Stones. I just stated that Joe Perry is an awesome guitar player. WAY better than Ronnie Wood. But then again, Richie Sambora is one of the best players around, millions of times better than Ronnie Wood, but did I put Bon Jovi in the same league as the Stones? No.

And why do you think Iīm trying to atract attention? Just because I didnīt agree with you? Well whatever, Iīm sorry then, Iīll try to keep a low profile, ok?

to say ronnie wood was never a big gun is far fetched, forgetting which board we are on....how many musicians can stake claim to having played guitar in two of the most influential bands in the last 40 years. I have been down on Ronnie as much as anyone this tour as I beleive we are not getting his best each night, and it is not 1975 again (see YCAGWYW solo from 1975 tour)

Joe Perry is a fine guitarist, but aside from Mick Taylor, NO ONE would have fit in with the stones as well as Ronnie Wood, he has the versatility, talent (wish he would use it more now), the look, and a very "in check" ego. it takes more than technical licks to be a legendary musician. If Jeff Beck would have possesed more qualities other than top notch licks...he would be as well known to the common fan as Clapton today, but since he "doesnt play well with others"....he is rarely mentioned in the same breath by casual music fans.

Sadly, whether you want to admit it or not, coming to a Stones message board and proclaiming that the Aerosmith Guitarist is better than the stones guitarist will draw as predicable an outcome as walking around a trailor park with a sign that says "Walmart Sucks".

The media/average music fan loves Aerosmith and generally hates the stones, the few true fans left (I estimated about 512K worldwide) pale in comparison to the rest of the music listening world, are forced to continually defend the stones against outsiders. WHile the Super Bowl did some to bring back some credibility, many are still unable to get "The Salt Lake Incident" out of their mind.

After reading your post, I did jump the gun on the generalization that perry = Aerosmith, and you correctly pointed that out, but I still shall disagree with your post and proclaim Joe Perry out of the league of any stones guitarist past or present!
February 10th, 2006 11:10 PM
Scottfree
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

you must establish some sort of credibility before you come to a stones message board and sing the praises of a band that is no where near the level of the stones.

I was a fan of Aerosmith when I was 15 just like everyone else, fact is ABB is better than anything they have released since the late seventies, and even those "Gems" don't hold a candle to the stones classics. Aerosmith would not have been much of a factor in the eighties if it wasnt for RUN DMC....there was not a decade since the 1960s where the stones havent done something significant. Aerosmith does get big props for releasing Honkin On Bobo, I do have this cd on my ipod and while I dont care for the arrangement on some of the songs, I love the concept and wish the stones would have done it...but they didnt

To me Aerosmith is in that category that falls above The Motley Crues and Van Halens, and below the Springsteen's, The Who's, Yardbirds, of music. An admirable spot...but any comparisons putting them in the same league as the Stones is just far fetched at best.

You must do your research a little better, I enjoy a great deal of other music(Particularly Pearl Jam, a lot of country music, and a great deal of blues, particularly Tommy Castro, Buddy Guy, and Wilson Picket), as has been mentioned numerous time on this board, nothing nearly as much as the stones, and some of it is by subpar bands (Sadly, I enjoy Hall And Oates on occassion), and have played in a couple of bands in the Chicago area that ranged from Petty, Clapton, Zepelin, hendrix, Neil Young, all the way to my last band, a Stones Tribute show. My range of musical knowledge and appreciation is vast, and my opinions subjective with substance (ie, i post about hating U2, but to properly back up my thoughts, I bought my wife and I fourth row tickets to see their show, and was so dissappointed that we left early!)

If you would like an intelligent debate on music...I'd love to indulge you, if you want to attract attention by whoring out the significance of Aerosmith on this board and by calling the meat and potatoes of this board (true stones fans, sometimes referred to as "we")ignorant.....you shall not be greeted!

You've attained full street credentials...
[Edited by Scottfree]
February 10th, 2006 11:14 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Scottfree wrote:

You've attained full street credentials...
[Edited by Scottfree]

i have changed about 8 dirty diapers tonite on my kids....all street cred has left me!
February 11th, 2006 12:35 AM
ebmp Well, Iīm glad we cleared that up. I never meant to bash Ronnie... Its just that he is a good guitar player, and nothing more.
February 11th, 2006 03:06 AM
pdog This thread blows terrorist cock!
February 11th, 2006 06:25 AM
Altamont The future of rock and roll is in the hands of females.
[Edited by Altamont]
February 11th, 2006 07:51 AM
Nellcote Pdog wrote:

This thread blows terrorist cock!

Al Qaeda is watching us.
February 11th, 2006 09:20 AM
Navin
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

...how many musicians can stake claim to having played guitar in two of the most influential bands in the last 40 years.

Think that is 3 infulential bands, not just 2 - including the Jeff Beck Group, The Faces, and of course - The Stones.

Maybe more than just 3 - not to forget - The Ron Wood Solo Band, The (early) Rod Stewart Group, The New Barbarians, etc. etc. Think he also holds the record for jamming up there with just about every relevant musician in every other corner of the world (and studio)

Why accept Arosmith when the real thing is still around?
They are more or less a Stones tribute/look-alike band who dont even perfom the Stones songs !!
They may have the visual equivalent of Mick and Keith, but no Ronnie equal (and forget about Wyman and Watts)

Ronnie Bashing? That's the way he likes it, ha, Pretty Beat Up!!
February 11th, 2006 11:53 AM
Dan Versatility is almost as over-rated as originality.
February 11th, 2006 03:48 PM
rough-justice [quote]Saint Sway wrote:

NO ONE. And I mean NO ONE. Is better at walking around and waving to the crowd as Ron Wood.

He has made it an art form.

and he is certainly "ammusing"

personally, I prefer guitarist that actually play their guitar. Guys that stand there and wail.

As much I love getting a wave from Ronnie, for me, its all about whats coming out of the amp.

I dont want to get in a heated argument with U, BUT WOODY HAS EARNED HIS LEGACY AS A TOP GUITAR PLAYER. AND YES I KNOW MY SHIT I HAVE DONE 4 ALBUMS AND PLAYED GUITAR 21 YEARS,
YES JP can play but IMO he has nothing on Woody there cannot be a comparison.
February 11th, 2006 03:55 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

I would much prefer to see him playing with different musicians where he is the focus of the show not a sidecar to Liv's Dad.

soeth said by someone who has not seen Liv's dad perform in quite some time

if ever

they rock

February 11th, 2006 05:11 PM
Bloozehound There's no excuse for power-balladry

Aerosmith is a joke!

Joe Perry sucks
February 11th, 2006 05:35 PM
voodoopug
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

soeth said by someone who has not seen Liv's dad perform in quite some time

if ever

they rock

I last seen Aerosmith in 1994..I was young and thought they were good...thankfully, i have seen the light!
February 11th, 2006 05:36 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Navin wrote:

Think that is 3 infulential bands, not just 2 - including the Jeff Beck Group, The Faces, and of course - The Stones.

Maybe more than just 3 - not to forget - The Ron Wood Solo Band, The (early) Rod Stewart Group, The New Barbarians, etc. etc. Think he also holds the record for jamming up there with just about every relevant musician in every other corner of the world (and studio)

Why accept Arosmith when the real thing is still around?
They are more or less a Stones tribute/look-alike band who dont even perfom the Stones songs !!
They may have the visual equivalent of Mick and Keith, but no Ronnie equal (and forget about Wyman and Watts)

Ronnie Bashing? That's the way he likes it, ha, Pretty Beat Up!!

Top notch posting, I respectfully stand corrected
February 11th, 2006 08:44 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
pdog wrote:
This thread blows terrorist cock!

Terrorist cock: That's an expression that comes from the right typically -- means fucking innocent people in advance.
February 11th, 2006 09:34 PM
Nellcote Mr Pleasant wrote:

Terrorist cock: That's an expression that comes from the right typically -- means fucking innocent people in advance.

All Muslims are not terrorists, however, so far, all of the terrorists have been Muslims.....
February 12th, 2006 12:31 AM
MrPleasant
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Mr Pleasant wrote:

All Muslims are not terrorists, however, so far, all of the terrorists have been Muslims.....

Fudking [*************************** provided you by MR PLEASANT; MR PLEASANT IS ALWAYS A RIDE!, MR PLEASANT IS ALWAYS A DELIGHT!]

(PLEASE DON'T GO TO A MR. PLEASANT NEAR YOU.)
February 12th, 2006 12:38 AM
MrPleasant fuck you, spermbloodmutherfcuckinassholishtrapINTHEMOUTH

Write up your daily, turn the page down, etc.; I Love You All---
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)