ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Recording "I Wanna Be Your Man" - De Lane Lee Studios, London 7th October 1963
© Gus Coral
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Crowe to cover Stones in NYC!!! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
01-13-04 05:52 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
KeithRichards210 wrote:

The Crowes even did a credible job of covering CYHMK. Definitely better (and MORE) guitar than the recent Stones live versions. I'll hang for that one, but oh well...

anyone who wants to hang you for that comment just needs to hear the Crowes version and then they'll stick their own head in the noose.

Rich Robinson's intro nails the original. Sounds more Stones-like than the Stones live version. Keef's 40 Licks tour version sounds more like Train trying to cover the Stones.

(before you flame me for my comments you should listen to the Crowes live version - and please keep in mind that I idolize Keef)
01-13-04 06:07 PM
KeithRichards210 Really. The Crowes' version of CYHMK is actually closer to the Stones' original than the Stones' live version. And it's a shame really. On the Stones' live version, the nahsty and LOUD Keef guitar is glaringly absent, and don't even get me started on that solo...

The Crowes play it more true to form, with the grit and intensity the song was designed for. I'd like to have Keef give that a repeated listen.
01-13-04 06:47 PM
SHINE A LIGHT yep, you are to be hanged in the town square, 7am tomorrow!!!!!! and on your tombstone, KR210 changes to BC210.
01-13-04 06:51 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
SHINE A LIGHT wrote:
yep, you are to be hanged in the town square, 7am tomorrow!!!!!! and on your tombstone, KR210 changes to BC210.

Not hardly, dear. I'm just not afraid to call it like it is. I kinda figgered you'd be the first one to roast my ass!
01-13-04 06:54 PM
exile Is there somewhere you can download The Crowes' version of CYHMK

Im curious to hear it.....

I heard the Crowes do "Silver train" it wasnt bad
01-13-04 06:55 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
exile wrote:
Is there somewhere you can download The Crowes' version of CYHMK

Im curious to hear it.....

I heard the Crowes do "Silver train" it wasnt bad

Get it off Winmx. That's where I found it, along with Silver Train, Happy, Torn & Frayed and Honky Tonk Women. Tasty stuff.
01-13-04 07:03 PM
SHINE A LIGHT well now mr. KR210, i take that as a nice compliment.....as you know i will always stand up for THE STONES/KEITH anyday. all in good fun.
01-13-04 07:14 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
SHINE A LIGHT wrote:
well now mr. KR210, i take that as a nice compliment.....as you know i will always stand up for THE STONES/KEITH anyday. all in good fun.

No worries here!
01-13-04 07:20 PM
SHINE A LIGHT i'm worried sick about teddy nugent!!!!!!!!
[Edited by SHINE A LIGHT]
01-13-04 09:34 PM
glencar I left all that free downloading stuff when the old PC went kaputsky but it's time to reload Kazaa & seek out this Crowes crap.
01-13-04 10:44 PM
Steel Wheels Sorry, I read that wrong. Rich rocks, Chris is lame these days. I'd see Rich any day of the week and bang his sister in law twice on Sundays.
01-14-04 07:10 AM
corgi37 The Black Crows were simply photo-copies of the Stones. Man, i cant for the life of me understand why this band was popular. Even if it was modestly so, and even if it was confined to America. They so desperately wanted to be the stones, circa 72-73, that it was downright bloody embarrassing to see. Live, i cant comment, and i assume they might have been ok. But 2 comments.
1. How the fuck can Mr. Hudson EVER bag the Stones when he has spent 15 years impersonating Jagger? Right down to the bare feet of 69 (Honky Tonk women - Gimme Shelter) or 72 (His Remedy clip moves are straight out of L&G)
2. With the many years experience they have, and supposedly large U.S. fan base, tickets to see an ex-member are $15.00 and the main reason to see him is to hear Stones/Faces covers? Fucking hell! And people get excited over this?
Me thinks the Queer eye for the straight eye crew need to pay a visit!
01-14-04 07:35 AM
Jumacfly IMHO, Frank Black and the cat' have recorded the best "sounding stones" record of those last year, it's called "dog in the sand" and it s a masterpiece....i know a guy here that agree with me..
cheers
Julian el loco
01-14-04 07:43 AM
Factory Girl Chris R. played here not too long ago. Tix were $20. I understand only 200 people were there. I think any Crowes popularity has died down.

However, despite the above, I saw the Crowes with Pagey in 1999 and It was FANTASTIC!!! One of the best shows I've ever seen!
01-14-04 02:58 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
With the many years experience they have, and supposedly large U.S. fan base, tickets to see an ex-member are $15.00 and the main reason to see him is to hear Stones/Faces covers? Fucking hell! And people get excited over this?

hey - I posted this because I figured some like-minded Stones fans like myself would want to hear this

sure its not the Stones. But Rich Robinson is a kick ass guitar player!!! He rocks!

I dont know what you'll be doing with your nite - but I'm psyched to hear him tear up "Memo From Turner" and "Moonlight Mile" etc

gonna be a fun nite - filled with good music

check it out and you just might find yourself turned onto some good new music
01-14-04 03:00 PM
glencar Besides being very serious, corgi lives Down Under so it's unlikely he'll try the Crowe remnants.
01-14-04 03:39 PM
Mr T Chris is a great singer. Rich is an excellent songwriter. they don't need any more hits than they have, as they've written more real music than anyone since the Stones, and it was a lot better than anhy hits I've heard in a long time. I'm very curious to see what Stones tunes Rich pulls out tomorrow night
01-14-04 03:47 PM
mac_daddy when's the LA show?

Rich and his band are open taping, right?
01-14-04 04:08 PM
Mr T yes, open taping. I won't be able to see him this time around unfortunately (I'm sure it'll be a great show though), so I'll definitly be looking out for recordings
01-14-04 04:14 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
when's the LA show?

Rich and his band are open taping, right?

his LA show is on Thurs, January 22nd at The Viper Room (tix are $10)

Rich always allows open taping at his shows. Certain venues can be asswipes about it. But he informs them ahead of time. If theres a problem at the door you can tell them the artist allows taping and just ask for someone from his crew to help you out and they'll straighten out any problems

if you have any questions email at [email protected]

good luck
01-14-04 06:36 PM
corgi37 Actually, i stand corrected. I forgot about that tour with Page. A mate of mine saw them and said it was fantastic. The lucky prick won a trip to the U.S. I couldnt tell you for the life of me where he actually saw them. Maybe i should lighten up, cause if a dude is doing Memo from Turner and Moonlight Mile, i gotta admire that. Wonder if its the "rocky" version of memo, or the "slide" version?
Peace be with you, my brothers.
01-14-04 06:45 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
corgi37 wrote:

Peace be with you, my brothers.

corgi, i'm confused by that quote given your "i ain't no peace freak" signature

is it a further manifestation of the "funny/serious" dichotomy that has grown around you??
01-14-04 08:49 PM
Mr T NO WAY - HE'S DOING MEMO? where'd you hear that?
01-15-04 12:01 AM
glencar Someone posted it earlier in the thread.
01-16-04 07:42 AM
corgi37 Sonny Barger says he aint no peace freak in the opening few minutes on Gimme Shelter. Took me years to work out what the guy actually said, and when i deciphered it, i loved it. A bit of ying and yang is good for the soul. Not so good for those around you. Maybe I'm schizo? Or, as i like the Who, Quadro?
01-16-04 12:05 PM
Saint Sway Rich kicked off the 1st show of his mini coast to coast tour last nite in New Jersey

he closed the show with "Memo From Turner" --- rockin hard on the slide from what I hear. Also played The Band's "Dont Do It"

no guarantee if he'll repeat it again tonite in NY - but I can say that for the NY show he is bringing in a string quartet to guest on "Moonlight Mile"

he played a solo acoustic version of "Moonlight Mile" 2 months ago at a gig in NY and it was really beautiful sounding. One of my fav Stones songs

still hopin to see some Stoners in the house tonite
01-16-04 12:07 PM
glencar Who does the singing?
01-16-04 12:12 PM
Saint Sway Rich is doing his own vocals and, of course, guitar. He sounds good.
01-16-04 12:40 PM
mac_daddy well Saint Sway, it was $15 not $10 but I got my ticket...

do I need to talk to anybody (tour manager, etc) about running tape, or can I just show up..?
01-16-04 04:19 PM
Saint Sway mac daddy

shouldnt be a prob recording

if your still worried just contact
[email protected]

if you get there and get hastled ask for Joy

good luck

their taping tonites show for internet release.... stay tuned...
Page: 1 2 3

BEST VIEWED HIGH