ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Recording "I Wanna Be Your Man" - De Lane Lee Studios, London 7th October 1963
© Gus Coral
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Crowe to cover Stones in NYC!!! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
01-12-04 06:47 PM
Saint Sway Rich Robinson of the Black Crowes is playing the Knitting Factory in NY THIS FRIDAY (1/16 9pm)

he's been rehearsing some REALLY COOL STONES SONGS and plans to throw a few into the set list (and a few other classic rock treats too). Trust me, if your a Stones freak like me your gonna want to hear what he pulls out - one of the songs has NEVER been covered by the Stones and the other is an all-time fav of mine that has only been played by the Stones maybe a handful of times

check it out if your in the NYC area - tix are $15
www.knittingfactory.com

the mini-tour kicks off in Trenton NJ this Thursday and also includes Boston and a couple of California dates

check out www.richrobinson.net for more info and dates

hope to see some Stones die hards at the show!

01-12-04 09:14 PM
Steel Wheels I had the unfortunate circumstance to attend a show he did roughly a year and a half ago. After bad mouthing the Stones for high ticket prices, I yelled, "Write a hit!" His solo songs are forgettable - a blanket of background banter.
01-12-04 10:16 PM
glencar Another one to skip...
01-13-04 10:23 AM
SHINE A LIGHT i just love something keith said a few years ago..."too many goddamn crows/crowes around here". he said that while listening to a tape of "some goddamn crow" when being driven to a gig. he only knows the opening acts by listening to some of their stuff on his way to play.
01-13-04 12:33 PM
Saint Sway Steel,

I've never heard him bad mouth the Stones. Perhaps your confusing Rich with his loud mouthed brother Chris?

Rich is the guitarist from the Crowes and a HUGE Stones fan.

and he rocks hard! His new songs are great. And his choice of covers is pretty cool - especially the Stones & Faces numbers

but check him out for yourself
01-13-04 12:47 PM
Sir Stonesalot Indeed, that was Mr. Kate Hudson that made those remarks, not his more talented brother Rich.

To my mind, Rich and Marc Ford were the guys that made the Black Crowes a decent rock outfit.

Chris turned into a mega-dickhead.
01-13-04 01:06 PM
Factory Girl Well, I think Chris is a good singer. I heard he's working with the brothers from STP. Any truth to that?
01-13-04 01:20 PM
alex_taper I have a few recent recordings of Chris Robinson and it's excellent, he is a great singer and he has great musicians too!!
01-13-04 01:23 PM
Saint Sway yes, supposedly Chris is going to do something with STP. The Deleo bros co-wrote a song on Chris's solo album (which sucks)

and yes, Chris has turned into quite the ass

but Rich still rocks. You can really hear the influences of the Stones, Neil Young and The Band in his playing and songwriting
01-13-04 01:30 PM
Factory Girl I had a chance to check out Marc Ford several times, and regret not doing so.

I understand now he's (MF) working with Ben Harper, and I have no interest in BH.

In retrospect, marrying Kate H. was not a good career move for Chris R.
01-13-04 01:47 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
I had a chance to check out Marc Ford several times, and regret not doing so.

I understand now he's (MF) working with Ben Harper, and I have no interest in BH.

I'm sure Marc will continue to play some solo gigs from time to time. His album is wonderful. One of the rare good records to come out in recent years, IMO

dont do yourself the same injustice by missing Rich. Just not any other guitar players out there with that Stonesy sound. I cant imagine any Stones fans being dissapointed. The Stones covers alone will be worth the $10 - $15

he's doing shows in NJ, NY, Boston, LA, Sacremento and San Jose over the next week
01-13-04 01:48 PM
steel driving hammer Marc Ford was the Mick Taylor of the band.

Those boys should of stuck together, but Hollywood, glammer and fame got the best of Chris.

But no other band (besides the Stones) have put together a better Stones sounding album than the Crowes Southern Harmony and Musical Companion to this date.

Hotel Illness is what the Stones are all about and they nailed it on that song.
01-13-04 01:57 PM
Factory Girl we got back steelie, but lost jb.

The Ying & Yang of message boards is wicked and surreal...
01-13-04 02:06 PM
Saint Sway Steel Driving Hammer,

very well said!! IMO, the old Crowes were the only band thats EVER done the Stones sound justice

btw, where do you get the booze pics you always use? They're great shots
01-13-04 02:13 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
The Ying & Yang of message boards is wicked and surreal...

So is the planet Mars my dear, LOL!

Nasa thinks they found moist mud on Mars and "New Earth Mud" was Chris Robinson's latest album.

Thats just too deep for me baby.....................
01-13-04 02:16 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
btw, where do you get the booze pics you always use? They're great shots

www.picsearch.com

Cheers.
01-13-04 02:20 PM
Saint Sway thanks for the link. I'm an Art Director for a wine mag and am always looking for good wine photography
01-13-04 02:21 PM
Joey

Who is Kate Hudson ?

01-13-04 02:22 PM
Factory Girl I don't like New Earth Mud either. I don't believe Chris or Rich have a recording contract at the moment.
01-13-04 02:33 PM
FPM C10 Steelie?

STEEL DRIVING HAMMER???

C10?????????

Is it REALLY you?

You were always minty fresh, and MAN could you pee out a hotel window!

The Crowes were Humble Pie wanna-bes, and why such a thing should matter to ANYONE is beyond me. I hate Chris Robinson soooo much - hate his Steve Marriott-esque voice, hate his bell bottoms, hate his hairdo, hate hate hate. And if I hated Mick Jagger I would not like the Stones no matter howe good the guitarists or rhythm section was. Fortunately for me, I think Mick is a good singer, sometimes a great songwriter, and the greatest front man on earth. So I care about the ups and downs of the Stones, but could not possibly care less about what the Crowes do.

Is this gig at the Knitting Factory just Rich, or does he have a band? A solo gig by a second-fiddle player sounds mighty tedious.
01-13-04 02:47 PM
glencar Steelie often nails it. That mud on Mars is significant. I'm sure Joey can tell us why.

Kate Hudson played the rock slut groupie in "Almost Famous" which was "almost" good.
01-13-04 02:52 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

Is this gig at the Knitting Factory just Rich, or does he have a band?

Rich has put together a 4-piece band for this mini-tour that features the bassist from Patti Smith's band and the keyboard player from Fab Faux

the Knitting Factory gig will also have a string quartet on some songs - including one from Sticky Fingers.

the Knitting Factory show is being recorded for a live album.
There will be some special guests sitting in too like Rogers Stevens, the guitarist from Blind Melon, and Royston Langston from Spacehog.
01-13-04 02:53 PM
Factory Girl Angelina Jolie should have played a rock groupie.

"Almost Famous" and Singles were luke-warm.
01-13-04 02:56 PM
glencar I liked Singles a bit more. I loved Blow although the ending was kind of quiet.
01-13-04 03:06 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
The Crowes were Humble Pie wanna-bes,

IYO, maybe true my brother, but that is our type of music, that loose (yet heavy) rock and roll w/ a great solid beat/riff to it, nothing too fancy, like those drummers w/ a 20 piece drum set like Van Halen type of rubbish.

At least they tried to sound like Humble Pie and the Stones is what matters. I say the more you try, the better.

Hey gotta joke for ya Jon,

3 top CEO's from Bud, Miller and Guinness meet and decide to go to a bar and have a drink. The CEO from Bud orders a Bud, the CEO from Miller orders a Miller, the CEO of Guinness orders Sprite. The CEO's ask him why aren't you having a beer? The CEO says, "Well I figure if you guys aren't having a beer, neither am I."
01-13-04 03:12 PM
Joey " Three top CEO's from Bud, Miller and Guinness meet and decide to go to a bar and have a drink. The CEO from Bud orders a Bud, the CEO from Miller orders a Miller, the CEO of Guinness orders Sprite. The CEO's ask him why aren't you having a beer? The CEO says, "Well I figure if you guys aren't having a beer, neither am I."

01-13-04 03:14 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:

Well well, Steelie is back!
01-13-04 04:46 PM
Joey

No ! Baby Steelie has made the transition .................and you ?!?!

Developing ............................
01-13-04 05:03 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
Joey wrote:
" Three top CEO's from Bud, Miller and Guinness meet and decide to go to a bar and have a drink. The CEO from Bud orders a Bud, the CEO from Miller orders a Miller, the CEO of Guinness orders Sprite. The CEO's ask him why aren't you having a beer? The CEO says, "Well I figure if you guys aren't having a beer, neither am I."

You make KR210 laugh!
01-13-04 05:04 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Steel Driving Hammer,

very well said!! IMO, the old Crowes were the only band thats EVER done the Stones sound justice

The Crowes even did a credible job of covering CYHMK. Definitely better (and MORE) guitar than the recent Stones live versions. I'll hang for that one, but oh well...
Page: 1 2 3

BEST VIEWED HIGH