ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© 1981 Stand still from LSTNT
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Do you like where you live? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
29th January 2007 06:06 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Once they had a thread where everyone posted pics of their hometown, I don't necessary care about that, but some places are just better than other places. Some places are just more rock n roll than others too. Some places have lower taxes, some places have ocean front.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
29th January 2007 06:12 PM
steel driving hammer Wanna leave so bad I can't stand it.

Champaign!

29th January 2007 06:25 PM
Ten Thousand Motels I think I'd like New Zealand. Russia's too cold. The U.S. is too crowded. England's too cramped. Finland's too dark all the time. The American South is too humid. Washington D.C. is too mismanaged and it's all about money, Holland is too low, France is too hard to understand and they won't speak english to you, California is too whacked out by crazy ideas, Hawaii is too touristy,.... there's nowhere left to go.
29th January 2007 06:39 PM
mojoman i live in hell
29th January 2007 06:48 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
mojoman wrote:
i live in hell

What's her name?

29th January 2007 07:00 PM
mojoman It was like going to church, except Ozzy Osbourne was there
29th January 2007 07:13 PM
Water Dragon
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
I think I'd like New Zealand.

Let me assure you that you would like New Zealand - but will they let you stay...they are VERY particular about their little slice of paradise.

Regards, and good on you mate,

W.D.
29th January 2007 07:22 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Oh well. Home's just a state of mind anyway.
29th January 2007 07:27 PM
glencar
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
I think I'd like New Zealand. Russia's too cold. The U.S. is too crowded. England's too cramped. Finland's too dark all the time. The American South is too humid. Washington D.C. is too mismanaged and it's all about money, Holland is too low, France is too hard to understand and they won't speak english to you, California is too whacked out by crazy ideas, Hawaii is too touristy,.... there's nowhere left to go.

You should go to Scotland. Perfect for you.
29th January 2007 07:30 PM
pdog I love San Francisco...
29th January 2007 07:34 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
You should go to Scotland. Perfect for you.

I think I might like Scotland. Except the sun doesn't shine as much as I'd like. The climate and the lay of the land I think is very much like Maine. Kinda grey....and green during cetain times of the year.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
29th January 2007 08:18 PM
glencar Yes, it's a pretty landscape w/o many interesting people. My grandparents are from Glasgow...
29th January 2007 08:22 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
glencar wrote:
Yes, it's a pretty landscape w/o many interesting people. My grandparents are from Glasgow...

"w/o many interesting people"..or did you mean "with"?
29th January 2007 08:31 PM
glencar No, I meant w/o. Lotsa drug addicts on the streets & many Indians for some reason.
29th January 2007 08:32 PM
Joey
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
Wanna leave so bad I can't stand it.

Champaign!

Funny !

Baby Stud Muffin Magnolia ....................

Come To Joey

|
|
V

www.QWESTCENTER.com

29th January 2007 08:37 PM
tumbled

I don't really like where I live but I can't seem to get out of here...
29th January 2007 08:46 PM
Joey
quote:
tumbled wrote:

I don't really like where I live but I can't seem to get out of here...

Tumbled ....................................

What happened to your original avatar ?!
29th January 2007 08:47 PM
tumbled

I don't really like where I live but I can't seem to get out of here...its the politics and the people are too fucking important to mellow out and be friendly
I think so

did u see this?
http://p081.ezboard.com/fshidoobeewithstonesdougfrm15.showMessage?topicID=14529.topic
29th January 2007 09:11 PM
Brainbell Jangler Portland, Oregon. Day or night.

[Edited by Brainbell Jangler]
30th January 2007 12:48 AM
mickmask I wanna live here.

on that boat...right there.

[Edited by mickmask]
30th January 2007 06:34 AM
Water Dragon Tho a very nice place to visit...

New Zealand faces its dark secret
By Heather Sharp
in Hamilton, New Zealand

Sam Dog, a 47-year-old gang member with a history of beating up his girlfriends, sees in himself a trait that New Zealand is far from proud of.
Domestic violence is often described as the country's "dark secret".

But a series of grisly child murders and statistics described by the Social Development and Employment Minister David Benson-Pope as "appalling" have brought the issue into the spotlight.

Sam Dog - his gang name is the only one he would give - says the moment of recognition came when he saw the 1994 film Once Were Warriors, which portrayed an abusive family from New Zealand's indigenous Maori population.

"I saw what my father did to my mother, and what I'd done to my partners over the years," the father of eight said.

While domestic violence afflicts all ethnic groups, the uncomfortable truth remains that the Maori population is over-represented in the statistics.

We're in many ways still a settler society, and the view of the male as macho and physically strong is very strong
Brian Gardner

Fifty percent of those sentenced for the offence of "male assaults female" in the year 2004-2005 were Maori, although Maori make up only about 15% of the country's population.

And in the most recent national survey of victims of crime, 42% of Maori women said a partner had abused them physically, compared to only 20% of white women.

Social welfare professionals are quick to point out that a long history of European colonisation has left disproportionate numbers of Maori at the lower end of the socio-economic spectrum, despite continued efforts to redress the balance.

YanaLeah Hemi, who is Maori and survived domestic abuse herself, has worked for 12 years, mainly with Maori, at the Hamilton Abuse Intervention Project, one of many groups running programmes aiming to help violent men change their ways.

"My opinion is that abuse that is perpetuated by Maori also stems back to colonisation, and to how far we've moved as a people from where we once were," she said.

Brian Gardner, manager of National Network of Stopping Violence Services, said men in colonised cultures could "have even less power in the world and end up taking it out on the people they are closest to".

Violent cycle

But Ms Hemi stressed that while colonisation may help explain Maori abuse, it does not excuse it.

Karam Karaitiana, 26, bursting with optimism after learning to control the anger that led him to assault his wife last year, has little interest in looking back.

"People are too worried about the past - about people taking our land. I'm more worried about my future," he said.

Often, according to Ms Hemi, the men she has worked with "have known nothing but violence".

Sam Dog, for example, grew up milking cows from the age of six and watching his father hit his mother.

"I've been in and out of jail all my life," he said.

He was released two months ago after a sentence for beating up his partner "a lot of times".

For 30 years he has been a member of the Mongrel Mob, a mainly Maori gang known for drug dealing and other organised crime. Two of his sons are now members.

"Being a gangster, all you pretty much had to worry about was yourself. So you keep living that way, even when you get a partner, because you don't know how to live any other life," he said.

Need to talk

Mr Gardner is also convinced New Zealand must challenge prevailing views of masculinity - which he said were "strikingly similar" across the country's ethnic groups.

"We're in many ways still a settler society, and the view of the male as macho and physically strong is very strong. You don't talk about your emotion," he said.

Unfortunately, the person closest to you ends up bearing the brunt
Dean

"Our national sport is about physical domination and not showing pain - which is great if you're a settler cutting down bush and you break your leg miles from help, but it's a bit outdated now."

Dean, a white, 40-year-old retail manager from Wellington, sought help after finding the pressures of children, an ex-wife and a new marriage too much.

"Unfortunately, the person closest to you ends up bearing the brunt," he said.

Although he never injured his second wife, "there was lots of yelling, barging through doors, hitting walls, pushing her out of my way," he said.

He described his upbringing as "really good", but said he was "never really taught how to talk about things" and still finds communicating on difficult issues hard.

The perception that New Zealand has one of the worst rates of domestic violence in the developed world is now common.

But violence within families is by nature hard to quantify, and Mike Doolan, former Chief Social Worker and currently a researcher at Canterbury University, said the claim is "impossible to prove".

New Zealand falls into a group of developed countries with "moderate to moderately-high" child homicide rates, he said.

But international systems for recording other types of abuse vary, comparisons are unreliable and New Zealand may simply be better at monitoring the problem than other nations.

What is clear, however, is that although the battle is far from over, the country has - like Sam Dog - acknowledged it has a problem.

"That's the only way to address it, and then you start searching for the tools to take care of it," the veteran gangster said.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6309791.stm

Published: 2007/01/29 13:09:26 GMT

© BBC MMVII
30th January 2007 07:36 AM
Madafaka I love Buenos Aires, the Tango City!
30th January 2007 07:38 AM
egon Well, I already left where I lived!

And now i live here:

and here:

also a bit here:

[img]
[Edited by egon]
30th January 2007 08:00 AM
Maxlugar Cafe Hostess Jill?

30th January 2007 08:39 AM
gustavobala São Paulo, too much pollution , i don´t like it!

30th January 2007 09:14 AM
Bruno Fortaleza, Ceará, Brazil. Nice people and places but a lot of poverty too. The things I hate are the ignorant people and the fucking weather - it´s too damn hot!

30th January 2007 09:52 AM
Olivia1962 i live in a shit-hole filled with freaks
30th January 2007 11:29 AM
mickmask
quote:
Olivia1962 wrote:
i live in a shit-hole filled with freaks

Is it on a boat?

mm.
30th January 2007 11:45 AM
nankerphelge I am in the same boat as Tumbled.
DC sucks ya in and it's hard to get out.

Nice pic of DC tho.
I used to work in the red brick building just behind the White House to the right.

30th January 2007 11:58 AM
Honky Tonk Man I live in a town called Gillingham which is part of a wider area known as Medway. Medway is situated; though not technically part of, the County of Kent. It is a dump.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)