ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

International Ampitheatre, Chicago - June 20, 1972 1st Show
Unknown author with special thanks to Stoneslib
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAŅOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keef #4 greatest icon Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
January 20th, 2005 05:44 PM
Saint Sway this months Mojo magazine has a list of the 100 greatest Rock Icons.

Keef was #4
Mick was #17

Lennon was #1. Elvis was #2. Cobain was #5 (what a joke)

I forget the rest. I just thumbed thru it on the newstand.

nice showing for Keith. But I would of put Jagger at #1. He is without a doubt the biggest rock icon of all time
January 20th, 2005 08:58 PM
Soldatti The top 5 looks reasonable...
January 20th, 2005 09:00 PM
Gazza
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
this months Mojo magazine has a list of the 100 greatest Rock Icons.

Keef was #4
Mick was #17

Lennon was #1. Elvis was #2. Cobain was #5 (what a joke)

I forget the rest. I just thumbed thru it on the newstand.

nice showing for Keith. But I would of put Jagger at #1. He is without a doubt the biggest rock icon of all time

ahead of Elvis or Lennon? No way.
January 20th, 2005 10:10 PM
Cant Catch Me Elvis Presley has to be #1 every time, and if he's not the ranking system is flawed. I mean, "Nation's Only Atomic Powered Singer," how can you top that?
January 21st, 2005 04:53 AM
Poplar
Damn!
January 21st, 2005 07:35 AM
gustavobala who was the 3rd?
January 21st, 2005 09:33 AM
Factory Girl Cobain is way overrated. In the end, he was a
self-loathing junkie who channelled his angst into music at the right time.

Had he lived, he would have faded away -like Pearl Jam.
January 21st, 2005 09:58 AM
jb I won't say it Gazza....but I'm sure you know my sentiments...
January 21st, 2005 11:30 AM
glencar Jagger's #1 with the possible exception of Elvis. Another list to forget about.
January 21st, 2005 02:48 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
I won't say it Gazza....but I'm sure you know my sentiments...

LOL

If Mick had been shot when he was 40, and Lennon was still playing and touring in his 60's, 30 plus years past his best, then Mick would possibly have been in the top two or three - and Lennon wouldnt.

Dying young helps give anyone iconic status. Hence the popularity of Cobain. There's been no one else in the last 20 years who you could say that about. Personally, I cant see what the fuss is about but to people under a certain age, he's THE modern day music icon.

Elvis when he was alive was (with the possible exception of Muhammad Ali) the most internationally recognised face in the world. At the height of their popularity, the Beatles would have been much the same.

Like it or not, you could never make that argument about the Stones at any time in their career.

And Josh, if that poll was held in America and you are under the impression that the top two would be any different, you're deluding no one but yourself mate. I'm actually amazed that Keith polled so highly.
January 21st, 2005 02:51 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:

LOL

If Mick had been shot when he was 40, and Lennon was still playing and touring in his 60's, 30 plus years past his best, then Mick would possibly have been in the top two or three - and Lennon wouldnt.

Dying young helps give anyone iconic status. Hence the popularity of Cobain. There's been no one else in the last 20 years who you could say that about. Personally, I cant see what the fuss is about but to people under a certain age, he's THE modern day music icon.

Elvis when he was alive was (with the possible exception of Muhammad Ali) the most internationally recognised face in the world. At the height of their popularity, the Beatles would have been much the same.

Like it or not, you could never make that argument about the Stones at any time in their career.

And Josh, if that poll was held in America and you are under the impression that the top two would be any different, you're deluding no one but yourself mate. I'm actually amazed that Keith polled so highly.

i agree
January 21st, 2005 02:55 PM
Fiji Joe Indeed how, why is Lennon tops...man he ain't even close...I guess if you're going to call that bubble gum pop they were doing rock music...did any of the Monkees make the list?
January 21st, 2005 02:57 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Indeed how, why is Lennon tops...man he ain't even close...I guess if you're going to call that bubble gum pop they were doing rock music...did any of the Monkees make the list?

see gazzas post
January 21st, 2005 03:00 PM
glencar Gee, I bet Pete Tork now wishes he had taken that bullet.
January 21st, 2005 03:01 PM
jb Lennon=Nerd.
January 21st, 2005 03:05 PM
voodoopug
quote:
glencar wrote:
Gee, I bet Pete Tork now wishes he had taken that bullet.

lol
January 21st, 2005 03:06 PM
jb Everyone knows the Beatles were overrated, but they are thrown down out throats by the pop loving media for decades..they sucked big time imo.....Macca is a dick, ringo a no talent shit, George an average guitarist and Lennon , a scared house husband controlled by Yoko....
January 21st, 2005 03:08 PM
glencar Scared? He dumped her for 1 1/2 years to be with a hot young thang.
January 21st, 2005 03:15 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
Scared? He dumped her for 1 1/2 years to be with a hot young thang.

The Beatles were a media creation....they had no realla bility to rock, and were lucky enough to attract bubble-gum chewing teems who ate up their sappy ballads...I hate the Beatles....
January 21st, 2005 03:17 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:
Everyone knows the Beatles were overrated, but they are thrown down out throats by the pop loving media for decades..they sucked big time imo.....Macca is a dick, ringo a no talent shit, George an average guitarist and Lennon , a scared house husband controlled by Yoko....

are you a stu sutcliffe fan?
January 21st, 2005 03:21 PM
jb no..but i liked rick sutcliff....
January 21st, 2005 03:22 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:
no..but i liked rick sutcliff....

The Red Baron may be one of the only cub players i ever liked. He does fantastic work with ESPN now, and he hardly mentions his Cub background as they would never pay him what he was worth.
January 21st, 2005 03:24 PM
jb 3 more to 500!!!
January 21st, 2005 03:25 PM
Fiji Joe "Everyone knows the Beatles were overrated, but they are thrown down out throats by the pop loving media for decades.."

You know JB...I see some very distinct parallels between your above statement and the Jewish, Hitler led holocaust vs the Russian, Stalin led holocaust...I mean in one instance you're talking 20 million lives and in the other 6 million lives...but I'll be damned if I know why the lesser instance is contanstly thown down our throats to the exclusion of the larger instance...

I would think the answer to both those inconsistencies is the same...which has the most potential for profit?...Jews and the Beatles...sorta like ebony and ivory

January 21st, 2005 03:26 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:
3 more to 500!!!

I have a long way to go, but your "acknowledge and head nod" with regards to my increased participation means alot.
January 21st, 2005 03:45 PM
jb
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
"Everyone knows the Beatles were overrated, but they are thrown down out throats by the pop loving media for decades.."

You know JB...I see some very distinct parallels between your above statement and the Jewish, Hitler led holocaust vs the Russian, Stalin led holocaust...I mean in one instance you're talking 20 million lives and in the other 6 million lives...but I'll be damned if I know why the lesser instance is contanstly thown down our throats to the exclusion of the larger instance...

I would think the answer to both those inconsistencies is the same...which has the most potential for profit?...Jews and the Beatles...sorta like ebony and ivory

Do you resent one more than the other? Is 6 million too little? Would it have been better if he wiped us all out? I trust in Russia, were they have also wiped out the Jewish population, the 20 million is a constant theme ....
January 21st, 2005 03:53 PM
Fiji Joe Yes JB...but my russian descended friends do not have a habit of reminding me, on a daily basis, of the trials of their people...and they, do not have a large presence in the American media...it's all about the money and positional gain that can be made from illicting feelings of guilt regarding the fate of the european jews in WWII...it's sickening...it's the Jesse Jackson shakedown principle taken to a much more sophisticated level...and I think you know that

So, as I said, the Beatles, Lennon, the illogical pimping of what really is no more significant than any other, there are parallels
January 21st, 2005 03:54 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Yes JB...but my russian descended friends do not have a habit of reminding me, on a daily basis, of the trials of their people...and they, do not have a large presence in the American media...it's all about the money and positional gain that can be made from illicting feelings of guilt regarding the fate of the european jews in WWII...it's sickening...it's the Jesse Jackson shakedown principle taken to a much more sophisticated level...and I think you know that

So, as I said, the Beatles, Lennon, the illogical pimping of what really is no more significant than any other, there are parallels

what an interesting insight!
January 21st, 2005 04:08 PM
jb I think the last time I looked, Rupert Murdock controlled the media, Mel Gibson controlled the box office, and the Arabs controlled the Oil..so much for Jewish influence..
January 21st, 2005 04:13 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
I think the last time I looked, Rupert Murdock controlled the media, Mel Gibson controlled the box office, and the Arabs controlled the Oil..so much for Jewish influence..

Page: 1 2 3
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood