ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Olympiastadion, Berlin, Germany - 21st July 2006
© with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Who ' vs ' Led Zeppelin Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
13th December 2007 12:04 AM
Egbert
quote:
ebmp wrote:

I don't think IV is Zep's best album... It gets a lot of praise because of Stairway to Heaven. III is a far superior album IMO

I don't think they ever bettered Led Zeppelin (I).
13th December 2007 12:10 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl However much I boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooze!

I rock with both bands!
13th December 2007 12:12 AM
Egbert
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Pdog, they all stole from early black blues artists, you know this. To say that Zep stole more than others, is not the deal. Look at the Yardbirds "Train Kept A Rollin", not written by them, but by Tiny Bradshaw. All of the British bands of this era stole from the black blues artists. In some cases, these artists were a larger act in Europe than in the States. Page, with this idea from his days in the Yardbirds, developed this again with Zep in '68. Using your theory, Animals, Who, Beatles, Stones, Van Morrison, et al owe a large debt to black blues artists. To single out Zep is not correct.

Well this guy singled them (or more specifically, Pagey) out:

http://www.furious.com/perfect/jimmypage.html

13th December 2007 12:17 AM
mojoman
quote:
Zack wrote:
My two year old son never embarrassed me in the supermarket singing Zeppelin lyrics. ("There goes Mingy Stingy, there goes Mingy Stingy.") Case closed.

impressive that your son at two is familar with that tune catchy stuff. my son at around that age maybe was familiar with surf city even though i do have the who sell out disc in my car.
13th December 2007 01:26 AM
Zack
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Pdog, they all stole from early black blues artists, you know this. To say that Zep stole more than others, is not the deal. Look at the Yardbirds "Train Kept A Rollin", not written by them, but by Tiny Bradshaw. All of the British bands of this era stole from the black blues artists. In some cases, these artists were a larger act in Europe than in the States. Page, with this idea from his days in the Yardbirds, developed this again with Zep in '68. Using your theory, Animals, Who, Beatles, Stones, Van Morrison, et al owe a large debt to black blues artists. To single out Zep is not correct.

True, but we're comparing Townshend and Page in this thread. Unlike Zeppelin and many other British blues-based bands, Pete's compositions were utterly original, sometimes even nutty (see: Odorono, Pictures of Lily, and I'm a Boy, to name three) which made the Who much more charming and interesting, despite Page's technical superiority on guitar.
13th December 2007 11:09 AM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Great a guitarist as Page is, I'll take Townshend every time - especially in recent years.

As for originality, listening to the stuff Townshend's head was creating in the late 60s and early 70's, its not even close.

and Townshend basically foresaw the internet, LONG before Al Gore did!

Gazza .....................................

Upon further reflection , I have concluded that this is your finest post in your vast thirty - three year postin' career .

First TWO " Jaggerbombs " are on your young Joey this Friday Evening at The Brazen Head ( PaddyWack 8 [ .. out of Chicago ] will be performing this weekend -- see ya at 9:00 PM CDT . Sharp . )

|
|
V

www.BrazenHeadPub.com

J. " Snuggle - to - the - Joe " FLY !!!! ™

13th December 2007 12:59 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Joey wrote:

Gazza .....................................

Upon further reflection , I have concluded that this is your finest post in your vast thirty - three year postin' career .

First TWO " Jaggerbombs " are on your young Joey this Friday Evening at The Brazen Head ( PaddyWack 8 [ .. out of Chicago ] will be performing this weekend -- see ya at 9:00 PM CDT . Sharp . )

|
|
V

www.BrazenHeadPub.com

J. " Snuggle - to - the - Joe " FLY !!!! ™

Please stop in and say hello to KC for me!!!!
13th December 2007 01:05 PM
Scottfree I like the Stones....

That's D-list....
13th December 2007 05:38 PM
MikeyC613 The Who just seem like more of a rock and roll band, Zep can be a little too heavy on the crushing riffs and weird celtic imagery. plus, the guys in the who were eons cooler than zeppelin. zep hid from the media because they were nerds.
13th December 2007 05:43 PM
Joey
quote:
MikeyC613 wrote:
The Who just seem like more of a rock and roll band, Zep can be a little too heavy on the crushing riffs and weird celtic imagery. plus, the guys in the who were eons cooler than zeppelin. zep hid from the media because they were nerds.

Full frontal nuzzle coming your way my Stonesian Brother ...

Full FRONTAL ..........................
13th December 2007 08:16 PM
Honky Tonk Man Jimmy Page was considered one of, if not the best English guitarist before the majority of the public knew who he was.

Guitarist wise, Jimmy Page by a mile, though I do love Townsend's playing.

Band wise, The Who... JUST!
13th December 2007 08:48 PM
guitarman53
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Jimmy Page was considered one of, if not the best English guitarist before the majority of the public knew who he was.

Guitarist wise, Jimmy Page by a mile, though I do love Townsend's playing.

Band wise, The Who... JUST!

I totally agree, I put The Who first, but Led Zeppelin is 3rd.
13th December 2007 08:53 PM
Joey " Guitarist wise, Jimmy Page by a mile, though I do love Townsend's ( egregious sic ) playing.

Band wise, The Who... JUST! "

Even Pete Townshend considers Jimmy Page to be one of his guitar heroes .

Cassie Cakes !
13th December 2007 09:52 PM
sirmoonie Led Zep never came close anything like this live or on record. That's the band of all time playing right there.

13th December 2007 11:55 PM
CCM WHO Came First ... Plant always a wanted his hair to look as good as Roger's at Woodstock ... the WHO win hands down ... Moonie rules
14th December 2007 08:50 AM
Factory Girl Pagey is one of my all time best guitarists. LED ZEP ALL THE WAY!!

The WHO? YAWN.
14th December 2007 10:03 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Pagey is one of my all time best guitarists. LED ZEP ALL THE WAY!!

The WHO? YAWN.

Pagey is the greatest, most versitle guitarist ever imo.

Hendrix was so good, it wasn't human. So, to keep things 'real', Page all the way!
14th December 2007 10:33 AM
Joey " The WHO? YAWN. "

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14th December 2007 12:30 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Pagey is one of my all time best guitarists. LED ZEP ALL THE WAY!!

The WHO? YAWN.

Yeah I think I agree w/ you.

I like Zep more, but the Who are really great too.

Now show me your tits?
14th December 2007 01:17 PM
steel driving hammer Meanwhile, I was still thinking...

"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."

"Black Mountain Side" - uncredited version of a traditional folk tune previously recorded by Bert Jansch.

"Bring It On Home" - the first section is an uncredited cover of the Willie Dixon tune (as performed by the imposter Sonny Boy Williamson).

"Communication Breakdown" - apparently derived from Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown."

"Custard Pie" - uncredited cover of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down," with lyrics from Sleepy John Estes's "Drop Down Daddy."

"Dazed And Confused" - uncredited cover of the Jake Holmes song (see The Above Ground Sound Of Jake Holmes).

"Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" - uncredited version of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down."

"How Many More Times" - Part one is an uncredited cover of the Howlin' Wolf song (available on numerous compilations). Part two is an uncredited cover of Albert King's "The Hunter."

"In My Time Of Dying" - uncredited cover of the traditional song (as heard on Bob Dylan's debut).

"The Lemon Song" - uncredited cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" - Wolf's publisher sued Zeppelin in the early 70s and settled out of court.

"Moby Dick" - written and first recorded by Sleepy John Estes under the title "The Girl I Love," and later covered by Bobby Parker.

"Nobody's Fault But Mine" - uncredited cover of the Blind Willie Johnson blues.

"Since I've Been Lovin' You" - lyrics are the same as Moby Grape's "Never," though the music isn't similar.

"Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit.

"White Summer" - uncredited cover of Davey Graham's "She Moved Through The Fair."

"Whole Lotta Love" - lyrics are from the Willie Dixon blues "You Need Love."

Edited by a thief in the night...
[Edited by steel driving hammer]
14th December 2007 01:57 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Egbert wrote:

Well this guy singled them (or more specifically, Pagey) out:

http://www.furious.com/perfect/jimmypage.html

I read that awhile back and it's a great read. I'm glad you posted it. I wanted too, but had know idea where to find it.
14th December 2007 02:42 PM
Joey " Now show me your tits? "

14th December 2007 06:59 PM
Glimmer Twin Page is a great guitarist and better than Townsend, but I'd take Clapton over them all. All except Hendrix that is.
14th December 2007 07:47 PM
lotsajizz I hate to pick faves 'cuz it is so variable, but that said, Pagey is RIGHT THERE. Only a cretin could deny his talent....

14th December 2007 08:45 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Glimmer Twin wrote:
Page is a great guitarist and better than Townsend, but I'd take Clapton over them all. All except Hendrix that is.

One of too many too count of his best guitar performaces. (Sorry Embedded got dinged.)

I like Jimmy Page, btw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t9slqL_eSw
14th December 2007 09:39 PM
guitarman53 Townshend is a amazing rhythm guitarist, even better then Keith, his rhythm playing has got a melody to it, now Page is a lead guitarist, his playing on "Since I've Been Loving You" is blues that I love, in a minor key, so all in all, I'll stick with Townshend as the best, anybody who can leap 3' in the air, & dances all over the stage, has got my vote.
15th December 2007 02:19 PM
Joey
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
I'll stick with Townshend as the best, anybody who can leap 3' in the air, & dances all over the stage, has got my vote.

I would like to clutch you to me bosom
15th December 2007 06:13 PM
Kilroy Moon, The Best.
15th December 2007 06:25 PM
Joey
quote:
Kilroy wrote:
Moon, The Best.

I drank with Keith Moon last evening ....

15th December 2007 06:31 PM
Jaggedblues I can't say I like one more than the other because they are both amazing bands but I do listen to the Who with far greater frequency than I do Zep.

The Stones are my #1 and who I listen to probably 95% of the time and I crank up the Who about once or twice a month and that's always a pleasure and I listen to Zep maybe a couple times a year although that will increase slightly since a week ago I only had 1 Zep boot and now I have 4.

I've always loved the Stones, the Who, and Zep. The difference with Zep is though that I just don't crave listening to them nearly as much as I did in my younger days. I still think Zep is one of the mightiest bands to ever walk the earth but I don't have to listen to them that much anymore because I know if I do it's going to be great so what's the point, why waste my time. The Who I do still have to listen to though, their music is still more less part of my lifestyle and always will be near as I can tell plus they are a lot easier to listen to than Zep even though on paper Zep is probably the better band.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)