ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Olympiastadion, Berlin, Germany - 21st July 2006
© with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Who ' vs ' Led Zeppelin Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
11th December 2007 01:54 PM
steel driving hammer Go.

I'll start, both drummers died of too much drank.

Songwriting: Winner: The Who

Best Album: The Who "Who's Next" vs. Led Zeppelin "IV": Winner: The Who

Drummer: Keith Moon vs. John Bohnam: Winner: Draw

Guitarist: Pete Townshend vs. Jimmy Page : Winner: Led Zeppelin

Vocalist: Roger Daltrey vs. Robert Plant: Winner: Led Zeppelin

Bass: John Entwistle vs. John Paul Jones: Winner: The Who

Consistency: Winner: The Who

Originality: Winner: Draw

Lyrics: Winner: The Who
11th December 2007 02:01 PM
pdog
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
Go.

I thought this would be stupid, but it's not. although, I disagree with some of your opinion. The Who wins in orginality, Zep, stole alot of music and on 75% work you could trace stuff directly to early black blues artists. There's nothing wrong withat, they did it well, but it is not being original IMO. I think Daltrey's voice is better, and as far as better guitarists. Well The Who is unique, b/c the band played with a lead bass, not guitar... not only making them a non guitar fronted band most of the time, also making them very original. So, beeter bass, Who. Better guitar, Who, b/c the songwriter wrote great riffs, and he was the guitar player. Zep too often, tried too hard. Townsend sadly, lost it in the 70's. When he was at his best, he was untouchable.
11th December 2007 02:02 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Go.

The Who (stones fans) are significantly better than LZ (posers)
11th December 2007 02:22 PM
lotsajizz Townshend has never played better than since Zak joined the band.
11th December 2007 02:26 PM
pdog
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
Townshend has never played better than since Zak joined the band.

His playing is better, but his creativity has really been a slow trickle.

Pug, you're posting like Guilianni, enstead of saying 911, you keep saying Zeppelin, making you look like some touretes retard.
11th December 2007 02:36 PM
Nellcote Pdog, they all stole from early black blues artists, you know this. To say that Zep stole more than others, is not the deal. Look at the Yardbirds "Train Kept A Rollin", not written by them, but by Tiny Bradshaw. All of the British bands of this era stole from the black blues artists. In some cases, these artists were a larger act in Europe than in the States. Page, with this idea from his days in the Yardbirds, developed this again with Zep in '68. Using your theory, Animals, Who, Beatles, Stones, Van Morrison, et al owe a large debt to black blues artists. To single out Zep is not correct.
11th December 2007 03:18 PM
Joey
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
Townshend has never played better than since Zak joined the band.

Jizzy .............

I would like to nuzzle you .

'kins
11th December 2007 03:21 PM
voodoopug
quote:
pdog wrote:

His playing is better, but his creativity has really been a slow trickle.

Pug, you're posting like Guilianni, enstead of saying 911, you keep saying Zeppelin, making you look like some touretes retard.

11th December 2007 03:31 PM
pdog
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Pdog, they all stole from early black blues artists, you know this. To say that Zep stole more than others, is not the deal. Look at the Yardbirds "Train Kept A Rollin", not written by them, but by Tiny Bradshaw. All of the British bands of this era stole from the black blues artists. In some cases, these artists were a larger act in Europe than in the States. Page, with this idea from his days in the Yardbirds, developed this again with Zep in '68. Using your theory, Animals, Who, Beatles, Stones, Van Morrison, et al owe a large debt to black blues artists. To single out Zep is not correct.

Oh, no... I'm not singling them out. I only was talking strictly side by side with The Who, in this case, Zep "stole" a lot more. Like I said, they did it better than anyone else, like all those you listed. Even The Stones. The Stones started stealing from thier conteporaries...lol.
11th December 2007 03:36 PM
Mr Jurkka Who is better.
11th December 2007 03:39 PM
voodoopug
quote:
pdog wrote:

Oh, no... I'm not singling them out. I only was talking strictly side by side with The Who, in this case, Zep "stole" a lot more. Like I said, they did it better than anyone else, like all those you listed. Even The Stones. The Stones started stealing from thier conteporaries...lol.

The Stones came into America as blues "theives", but I will say that I think they did this better than anyone. Essentially, everyone has stolen from something in their past as musicians for years. I'd agree that Zep continued to steal over the years. Sadly, the point about Pete hitting a tremendous creative rut is true also, but I would say The Who are second only to the Stones as far as Rock Bands go in my eyes.
11th December 2007 04:06 PM
fireontheplatter i did my zep days and i did my who days back when i was younger. now that i'm 46, if i had to make a choice as if a gun were pointed to my head, i would chose the who.
i hope that answers your question.
11th December 2007 04:27 PM
lotsajizz I love 'em all...sometimes I listen to Zepp, sometimes I listen to the Who, more often to the Stones, sometimes Elvis....I feel no need to declare a fave here besides the obvious (since it IS a Stones board after all)
12th December 2007 12:36 AM
Sioux It's the Who for me. One of my top 5 favorite bands.
12th December 2007 11:08 AM
Child of the Moon This... this isn't even an issue here. The Who win this. Easily.
12th December 2007 11:14 AM
mojoman who's on first
12th December 2007 11:27 AM
Joey
quote:
mojoman wrote:
who's on first

mojo...

Perhaps the Emperor was wrong about you .

12th December 2007 12:12 PM
Gazza agree pretty much with Jizzy and pdog.

Great a guitarist as Page is, I'll take Townshend every time - especially in recent years.

As for originality, listening to the stuff Townshend's head was creating in the late 60s and early 70's, its not even close.

and Townshend basically foresaw the internet, LONG before Al Gore did!
[Edited by Gazza]
12th December 2007 12:46 PM
monkey_man Solely on the originality of Tommy, The Who wins this hands down! Based on crazy assed drummers. . .it's a draw. Hotel room destruction mythology. . . draw.

[Edited by monkey_man]
12th December 2007 01:12 PM
guitarman53 The Who for me.
12th December 2007 04:07 PM
ebmp
quote:

I don't think IV is Zep's best album... It gets a lot of praise because of Stairway to Heaven. III is a far superior album IMO

12th December 2007 04:10 PM
pdog
quote:
Joey wrote:

Concur .

Pete Townshend invented the internet in 1971 ( " Who's Next ) .

I wonder if he is happy with the way it has turned out ?!

|
|
V

It almost sent him to jail.
12th December 2007 05:12 PM
Joey
quote:
pdog wrote:

It almost sent him to jail.

Oh Hell , I forgot about that ' incident ' .

Besides , it was ONLY research !!!!

Sass N' Boots ! ™

[cc:ss]

[Edited by Joey]
12th December 2007 06:15 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
ebmp wrote:
I don't think IV is Zep's best album... It gets a lot of praise because of Stairway to Heaven. III is a far superior album IMO

I love III. But only because of the nostalgia of youth... 6 months or so worth of mescaline and psylocybin trips. That year saw the best mescaline ever to come to Maine....before or since.
12th December 2007 06:36 PM
gypsy THE FUCKING WHO!
12th December 2007 07:14 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Just for the record........The Who.
It's a goddam shame that Zep didn't at least continue to try to make records the way the Stones and the Who did.
12th December 2007 07:16 PM
lotsajizz 'Presence' is my fave Zepp album...this week
12th December 2007 10:03 PM
Glimmer Twin First let me say they are both great bands. Here's how I compare.

Best Album: The Who "Who's Next" vs. Led Zeppelin "IV": Winner: Zep IV, but The Who have several really great albums, while to me that's Zep's only true great album.

Drummer: Keith Moon vs. John Bohnam: Winner: Moon

Guitarist: Pete Townshend vs. Jimmy Page : Winner: Page by far.

Vocalist: Roger Daltrey vs. Robert Plant: Winner: Daltry, by far.

Bass: John Entwistle vs. John Paul Jones: Winner: Entwistle

Originality: Winner: The Who (who esle has a rock opera)

Overall: The Fucking Who.

[Edited by Glimmer Twin]
12th December 2007 11:19 PM
Bob Tamp Both legendary bands, but my vote easily goes to the WHO. I just get into their music more.
13th December 2007 12:04 AM
Zack My two year old son never embarrassed me in the supermarket singing Zeppelin lyrics. ("There goes Mingy Stingy, there goes Mingy Stingy.") Case closed.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)