ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

Second Leg!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rolling Stones tops everybody!! Not suprisingly with those prizes (Source Shidoobee) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
December 29th, 2005 09:00 PM
christijanus Stones Tour Beats U2 for 2005- Pollstar
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
U2 and Stones help drive concert revenues to new record

Alex Vega
Associated Press

Powerhouse tours by U2, The Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney helped drive concert ticket revenues in North America to a record $3.1 billion in 2005 even as the number of tickets sold declined for the third year in row.
Fans purchased 36.1 million tickets to the top 100 concert tours, compared to 37.6 million in 2004 and 38.7 million in 2003, according to Pollstar, the industry trade magazine.
"You have to figure that's not a healthy sign for the industry overall," said Gary Bongiovanni, Pollstar's editor-in-chief.
Despite a slow first-half of the year and the decline in tickets sold, concert tours in 2005 amounted to a 10.7 percent increase in gross receipts over last year's total of $2.8 billion.
The record revenue was due largely to the rare confluence of superstar artists touring.
"You don't normally see three huge acts like that out touring in the same year," Bongiovanni said. "McCartney and The Stones alone really helped drive up ticket prices."
The average ticket price for the top 100 tours rose to a record $57, compared to $52.39 in 2004, Pollstar said.
The average ticket price has gone up nearly $7 since 2003.
Still, concertgoers proved this year that they remained willing to pay more to see their favorite acts and the roster of legends that filled touring arenas this year had little trouble packing them in.
Until this year, the biggest tour of all time had been The Rolling Stones' 1994 outing, which drew $121.2 million in gross receipts, Bongiovanni said.
"Both U2 and The Stones went way beyond that this year," he said.
The Rolling Stones' "A Bigger Bang" tour led all other concert tours in 2005 with $162 million in gross receipts, according to the magazine.
The average Stones ticket was $133.98. The tour sold around 1.2 million tickets.
U2 generated the second most gross receipts, $138.9 million, with an average ticket price of $96.92. The Irish rockers' "Vertigo 2005" tour sold the most tickets, around 1.4 million.
McCartney's tour earned $77.3 million in gross receipts, with the average ticket selling for $135.46. The tour sold around 570,000 tickets.
Other veteran acts who ended the year among the top 20 in sales receipts included the Eagles, Elton John, Neil Diamond, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, Motley Crue and Jimmy Buffett.
Green Day, Rascal Flatts, Dave Matthews Band, Toby Keith, Kenny Chesney, Coldplay, Gwen Stefani and the Anger Management Tour were among the contemporary acts to break into the top 20 biggest earners.
Celine Dion and Barry Manilow, who performed mostly in Las Vegas, also were top draws in 2005. The Canadian diva's shows pulled in $81.3 million in total gross receipts, the third highest. Manilow's shows drew $22.7 million in gross receipts.
"The baby boomers really continue to support and fuel the concert business," Bongiovanni said.
December 29th, 2005 09:05 PM
glencar Will Gwen Stefani tour whilst pregnant?
December 29th, 2005 09:33 PM
Soldatti $162 million?
Damn fuck!
December 29th, 2005 09:35 PM
christijanus Did Poll Star also count the many RS.com memberships? Bet they didn't, but if they did??? Numbers would be a lot higher for the Stones, don't you all think?
I'm not a shamed to be a RS.com member!! Wish I would be a good enough musician or something else to make so much money!!
December 29th, 2005 09:42 PM
christijanus How many tickets sold the Stones back in 1994?
December 29th, 2005 10:34 PM
jb I think Pug and I singule handedly called everything that would happen this tour.....we said U2 would sell more tickets, but by demanding higher prices, we would win gross(even with 200k more people seeing U2!!!) We need a drastic increase in prices next year to maintain this!!! The Mexico shows have helped!!!! They must raise prices in Europe as attendanc their is very weak at this point.... Thank you Pug!!! We simply called it while others attacked our facts............No woinder and I can buy and selll most who post!!!! I (we) are brilliant!!!
December 29th, 2005 11:06 PM
voodoopug
quote:
christijanus wrote:
Did Poll Star also count the many RS.com memberships? Bet they didn't, but if they did??? Numbers would be a lot higher for the Stones, don't you all think?
I'm not a shamed to be a RS.com member!! Wish I would be a good enough musician or something else to make so much money!!

I fully agree. You are a fine poster!!
December 29th, 2005 11:10 PM
jb
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

I fully agree. You are a fine poster!!

He is a great addition to the board and is welcomed by the 3-J's!!!
[Edited by jb]
December 29th, 2005 11:11 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

He is a great addition to the board and is welcomed by the 3-J's!!!
[Edited by jb]

Joey has fooled us all by leaving the state of Nebraska...he will be missed until he returns next week!
December 30th, 2005 12:49 AM
time is on my side
quote:
jb wrote:
We simply called it while others attacked our facts............No wonder and I can buy and sell most who post!!!! I (we) are brilliant!!!

Knowing that this post was made in jest, I will only remind those that may take it seriously of the true nature of your post. Mainly that the tour was a bust & that all the venues were wide open with many vacant seats. The word embarrassing was used many TIMES to describe ticket sales. All this information was said to coming from your "inside" sources.

Reality has set in & it's now known the STONES sold 1.2 million tickets. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't U2 have more concert dates which could at least partially account for the fact they sold more tickets???? Regardless, U2 ticket sales were impressive just as the STONES were. Them are the facts.
December 30th, 2005 01:27 AM
pdog
quote:
time is on my side wrote:

Them are the facts.

Word?

WORD!!!

December 30th, 2005 04:56 AM
Gazza "McCartney and The Stones alone really helped drive up ticket prices."

"The average ticket price for the top 100 tours rose to a record $57, compared to $52.39 in 2004..The average Stones ticket was $133.98"

Christ. And if the prices werent high enough, that doesnt even count the $100 per show fee most needed in order to get tickets that were decent
December 30th, 2005 05:24 AM
Moonisup u2 broke the record by doing more shows and selling more tickets, the stones did less shows, and a higher price, so it should be u2
December 30th, 2005 05:47 AM
Gazza its an empty statistic anyway, whatever spin anyone wants to put on it.

Whilst its great that after 40 plus years the Stones are still a big attraction, being the top grossing act solely because your ticket prices are so expensive ISNT an achievement to be proud of, IMO. (the thing is, though, that if the Stones charged the same prices as U2 did, they would still outgross them anyway - theyd just be more likely to ONLY play stadiums in order to satisfy the demand for tickets)

Unfortunately, this egofest is the height of some people's ambition regarding the Stones these days. Including the band themselves it seems. It's an achievement of sorts, but a hollow one.
[Edited by Gazza]
December 30th, 2005 10:57 AM
jb
quote:
time is on my side wrote:

Knowing that this post was made in jest, I will only remind those that may take it seriously of the true nature of your post. Mainly that the tour was a bust & that all the venues were wide open with many vacant seats. The word embarrassing was used many TIMES to describe ticket sales. All this information was said to coming from your "inside" sources.

Reality has set in & it's now known the STONES sold 1.2 million tickets. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't U2 have more concert dates which could at least partially account for the fact they sold more tickets???? Regardless, U2 ticket sales were impressive just as the STONES were. Them are the facts.

Yeh right..believe what you want...I called this exactly as it played out...ABB is a bust, the tour attendance , as predicted, was down and as I stated , higher prices would be the only way to win the tour gross..just be fucking happy we won something..and please, don't ever question or challenge my facts.
I rather my family(including Monster and my unborn child) be burnt to death then ever meet you......
[Edited by jb]
December 30th, 2005 11:01 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:
its an empty statistic anyway, whatever spin anyone wants to put on it.

Whilst its great that after 40 plus years the Stones are still a big attraction, being the top grossing act solely because your ticket prices are so expensive ISNT an achievement to be proud of, IMO. (the thing is, though, that if the Stones charged the same prices as U2 did, they would still outgross them anyway - theyd just be more likely to ONLY play stadiums in order to satisfy the demand for tickets)

Unfortunately, this egofest is the height of some people's ambition regarding the Stones these days. Including the band themselves it seems. It's an achievement of sorts, but a hollow one.
[Edited by Gazza]

WE WON!!!!!
December 30th, 2005 11:06 AM
jb Indeed Pug...we won!!! It's far from an empty stat tot he real fan....we finaly did it again!!!! We're on top for a change, and this will increase ABB sales to Gold(not great-but only 1 shy of Beatles!!!!)..............
December 30th, 2005 11:09 AM
mmdog
quote:
jb wrote:

Yeh right..believe what you want...I called this exactly as it played out...ABB is a bust, the tour attendance , as predicted, was down and as I stated , higher prices would be the only way to win the tour gross..just be fucking happy we won something..and please, don't ever question or challenge my facts.
I rather my family(including Monster and my unborn child) be burnt to death then ever meet you......
[Edited by jb]

Let's be honest. This does not even include the whole North American Tour. I think the Stones will have more tickets sold by March. You can't argue it, it's pretty impressive.
December 30th, 2005 11:16 AM
jb
quote:
mmdog wrote:

Let's be honest. This does not even include the whole North American Tour. I think the Stones will have more tickets sold by March. You can't argue it, it's pretty impressive.

WE fuckijng one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I am happy...I predicted it and I was correct. The sales have been poor(ABB 451k for a Stones album!!!), attendance down, but with higher prices we get the prestige I needed to fill good about this tour....We did it...We're #1...........

P.S.,-Fuck off to all those who questioned my( and Pugs) info....you people make me sick!!!! And we also predicted the Atlanta show and have a few more surprises ,,,,,,and I take my fucking time releasing the info to people I care about...........
December 30th, 2005 12:51 PM
Jumping Jack The average Stones ticket was $133.98. BULL SHIT!!!

That only works if half the tickets are given away for free.
December 30th, 2005 12:57 PM
Dan I take it this is U.S. only. If it were worldwide, then U2 would win just based on their $4-7 million grosses for their European stadium shows.

And even if Stones shows didnt sell out immedietly, from what I personally witnessed, there were a LOT of walk up sales, something that was not possible once upon a time.
December 30th, 2005 12:58 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
The average Stones ticket was $133.98. BULL SHIT!!!

That only works if half the tickets are given away for free.

How many times did i mention about Jake Cohl Papering the house???
December 30th, 2005 01:02 PM
Dan These grosses are only based on estimates - and I am sure in many cases venue capacity is overestimated as well as things like 10,000+ free tickets for Anaheim Stadium being counted as sold. Well, I guess some of them were sold to someone, one of the $20 tix I scored when an Ameriquest comp.
December 30th, 2005 02:23 PM
jb Jesus Christ..we won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And our US stadium shows helped nuetralize tha massive stadium shows U2 did in F-u2 friendly Europe.
December 30th, 2005 02:58 PM
Some Guy U2 are pacing themselves
December 30th, 2005 03:21 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
U2 are pacing themselves

I hate the following bands:

U2
U2 Tribute Bands
Steely Dan
Steely Dan Tribute Bands
Macca
The Eagles
ABBA
December 30th, 2005 03:50 PM
Gazza
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

WE WON!!!!!

you might consider yourself part of that 'team'. I don't. Cohl and co are not on our 'side'.

And what Jumpin' Jack says is correct. No way were Stones tickets $134 on average. Cohl's 'less than transparent' way of publishing ticket sales for Stones shows (which isnt done for other acts for various reasons) is a handy tool for manipulating statistics.

[Edited by Gazza]
December 30th, 2005 03:54 PM
Dan
quote:
jb wrote:
Jesus Christ..we won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And our US stadium shows helped nuetralize tha massive stadium shows U2 did in F-u2 friendly Europe.

I dont believe these statistics count Europe.
December 30th, 2005 03:58 PM
Gazza
quote:
Dan wrote:

I dont believe these statistics count Europe.

they dont. If they did there would be a lot of different acts near the top of that list

Plus, as U2 did about 40 stadium shows in Europe, their figures would be off the radar compared to anyone else
[Edited by Gazza]
December 30th, 2005 04:19 PM
BILL PERKS COMPARE TO 1989..2.9 MILLION IN 59 SHOWS
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)