ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

Second Leg!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rolling Stones tops everybody!! Not suprisingly with those prizes (Source Shidoobee) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
December 30th, 2005 04:30 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:

you might consider yourself part of that 'team'. I don't. Cohl and co are not on our 'side'.

And what Jumpin' Jack says is correct. No way were Stones tickets $134 on average. Cohl's 'less than transparent' way of publishing ticket sales for Stones shows (which isnt done for other acts for various reasons) is a handy tool for manipulating statistics.

[Edited by Gazza]

I really think that number incorporates the free tickets that were given out (thousands in Vegas alone!) Cohl was going to make sure that somehow he manipulated the numbers to make sure the stones won. I am very proud right now!
December 30th, 2005 06:17 PM
jb
quote:
Dan wrote:

I dont believe these statistics count Europe.

Who the fuck cares..we won in US....do you like F-U2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
December 30th, 2005 06:37 PM
highwire Here's a link to CNN article

cnnarticle

Excerpts from article
quote:
The Rolling Stones' "A Bigger Bang" tour led all other concert tours in 2005 with $162 million in gross receipts, according to the magazine.

The average Stones ticket was $133.98. The tour sold around 1.2 million tickets.

U2 generated the second most gross receipts, $138.9 million, with an average ticket price of $96.92. The Irish rockers' "Vertigo 2005" tour sold the most tickets, around 1.4 million.

According to these numbers, Stones win the gross money but U2 sold more tickets.
Macca lags far behind with 570k tickets sold.
1.4 million to 1.2 million. Stones and U2 are pretty close, although wouldn't it be more relevant to compare the whole Stones tour 05-06 with the whole U2 tour

[Edited by highwire]
December 30th, 2005 06:38 PM
glencar These stats are virtually meaningless.
December 30th, 2005 06:42 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
These stats are virtually meaningless.

WE are even better as we played less dates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the hell is wrong with you people,,you say I am negative, and we finally have something to be happy about, and these stats are "meaningless""WTF??? At least we won the US Tour gross!!! I, for one, am fucking thrilled!!!!
December 30th, 2005 06:45 PM
glencar Chill, Joshy! I meant that the stats are stretched to show whatever one wants, i.e. the Stones made more money but U2 sold more tix...
December 30th, 2005 06:46 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
Chill, Joshy! I meant that the stats are stretched to show whatever one wants, i.e. the Stones made more money but U2 sold more tix...

WE can visdit the Clinton library together..I am really seriously going to go to Ark if preg allows me to....you in?
December 30th, 2005 06:49 PM
glencar Sec 205 is the best available. I'm in but I need to amke palns by early Feb at the latest. I can't do Ft. Lauderdale as I wished so this will ahve to do.
December 30th, 2005 06:50 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
Sec 205 is the best available. I'm in but I need to amke palns by early Feb at the latest. I can't do Ft. Lauderdale as I wished so this will ahve to do.

Bad move missing Lauderdale~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I shall not know until mid-feb. 205 is great!!! This show is wide open!!!!
December 30th, 2005 06:51 PM
glencar It's the timimg of it that kills FLL for me.
December 30th, 2005 07:37 PM
Gazza
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

I really think that number incorporates the free tickets that were given out (thousands in Vegas alone!) Cohl was going to make sure that somehow he manipulated the numbers to make sure the stones won. I am very proud right now!

Bjornulf's post on IORR a few hours ago would back up the belief by many of us that the quote of $134 for an average Stones ticket price is a lot lower than reality

The Pollstar number - average ticket price - is
> conservative. I have confirmed numbers from a few
> shows and it is higher. The following numbers are
> not estimates - they are actual average values
> based on numbers I do have:
>
> philly $190 (arena x 2)
> portland $159 (arena)
> sf $145 (stadium x 2)

>

You would imagine that Portland would be one of the less 'in-demand' cities (by that I mean its a secondary market compared to LA, NY etc) yet its still considerably higher than the pollstar average - even the two SF shows, which are in stadiums (where you'd expect to see a higher proportion of 'cheap' tickets for sale) exceed the $134 figure.

If Philly's ticket average was $190, I shudder to think what the average prices were for the upcoming MSG shows. My personal take is that at least 3/4 of the tickets sold to the public for these shows were in the $454 category.

There are many other factors which make that $134 figure unlikely and meaningless. Add on the tickets that are held back and then sold as "tickets for charity" for example. If you're buying a $160 ticket but paying about $250 for it, including a donation for charity, then the figure that pollstar are going to use is the $160 one, even though the tickets were never offered for sale to the public at that price. This was effectively legalised and endorsed scalping, but for a "good cause".

Similarly, thousands of tickets for each show were held back for fan club pre-sales, and you had to pay $100 per show to get them. That $100 figure (a minimum of $25 per ticket, $50 if youre only buying two) wont be counted in the published stats when theyre calculating average ticket prices as its actually going to the Stones fan club and not Ticketmaster.

Cohl's statement at the press conference that 95% of the tickets would be sold at an average of $110 is shown up for the blatant lie that it is. I'd bet my Stones collection that the real average of tickets sold publicly (once you add on the fan club presales, charity gimmicks and VIP packages) is closer to double that figure than it is to $110.
December 30th, 2005 08:35 PM
glencar How many tix were given out for free in Vegas? And why does it always happen when I'm not around? Puggy, is this just some shtick or did it really happen?
December 30th, 2005 09:05 PM
Soldatti I bet that the US tour will end with 230 m. gross and the whole tour with over 500 m.
December 30th, 2005 09:25 PM
glencar A new record?
December 30th, 2005 10:01 PM
Soldatti
quote:
glencar wrote:
A new record?

...and one very hard to reach in the future, including the Stones themselves.
December 30th, 2005 11:56 PM
jb
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

...and one very hard to reach in the future, including the Stones themselves.

WE called it!!!! When , IYO, will AB hit 800k?
December 31st, 2005 12:00 AM
glencar June 2009.
December 31st, 2005 12:01 AM
glencar BTW On Charlie Rose, the music critic from the New Yorker called ABB the best since Dirty Work!
December 31st, 2005 12:02 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
BTW On Charlie Rose, the music critic from the New Yorker called ABB the best since Dirty Work!

Yet it ain't selling, despite great reviews,,,,no single, no hit, and very mediocre imo........
December 31st, 2005 12:03 AM
Poison Dart U2 played 30 something more shows than the Stones did in 2005 and the Stones are only 200k back as far as attendance. The fact of the matter is that the Stones Bigger Bang is a bigger hit than U2'S tour.
December 31st, 2005 12:06 AM
glencar
quote:
jb wrote:

Yet it ain't selling, despite great reviews,,,,no single, no hit, and very mediocre imo........

I think it's great but the promotion didn't work. I think the Stones org. thought it would sell based on a 5 star review in Rolling Stone. This ain't the 70's, Mick.
December 31st, 2005 12:07 AM
glencar
quote:
Poison Dart wrote:
U2 played 30 something more shows than the Stones did in 2005 and the Stones are only 200k back as far as attendance. The fact of the matter is that the Stones Bigger Bang is a bigger hit than U2'S tour.

The Stones tours still generate enough buzz to help sell seats. U2 is almost ready to replace the Stones.
December 31st, 2005 12:09 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:

The Stones tours still generate enough buzz to help sell seats. U2 is almost ready to replace the Stones.

Almost, but not as long as Cohl represents both..MIck woild habe his head if they finisherd behind U2....but yes, this is the last hurrah..Sadly, F-U2 is loved by too many so-caslled stones fans......and the rest of the third world.
December 31st, 2005 12:16 AM
highwire What I'm wondering is who goes to these U2 shows.It must be like another species of rock n roll fan. You couldn't pay me to watch them. I don't hate them like I might some real wimpy band but I honestly and truly have no interest in them. I turn their music off when I hear it on the radio. I've never listend to a full album. I certainly don't own one.
I just don't get them. I'd rather watch a wanna be Stones garage band trying to learn their instruments.
U2 are simply lame with a capital L.
December 31st, 2005 12:19 AM
jb
quote:
highwire wrote:
What I'm wondering is who goes to these U2 shows.It must be like another species of rock n roll fan. You couldn't pay me to watch them. I don't hate them like I might some real wimpy band but I honestly and truly have no interest in them. I turn their music off when I hear it on the radio. I've never listend to a full album. I certainly don't own one.
I just don't get them. I'd rather watch a wanna be Stones garage band trying to learn their instruments.
U2 are simply lame with a capital L.

18-30 strong fan basis...and almost all so-called Stones fan....they truly suck.
December 31st, 2005 12:52 AM
glencar Ouch!
December 31st, 2005 09:29 AM
corgi37 Boy, U2 must be slashing their wrists. Or, demanding money back from starving African nations. They tour ALL YEAR, yet still cant match the receipts!

Of course Stones tickets are dearer.

They are the fucking Stones!!!! Not U2! bwah-hahaha-ha-ha-cough-ha.
December 31st, 2005 09:42 AM
ThatsWhatISay When the Stones complete their US leg in 2006 they will have more than 1.4 mio. attendance and certainly more than $200 mio. gross. So they will pretty likely outdo U2 in terms of attedance and gross :-)

Btw, the Stones will do a minimum of 35 stadium shows only in Europe not counting the shows in Japan/South America etc. Pretty likely they will add a couple more stadium shows as the tour approaches or as it is already on its way.
So I don't see any reason why U2 should outgross the Stones with their 40 stadium shows. Not a huge difference.
And then considering that ticket prices for the Stones are a lot higher than those for U2 I see no problem for the Stones to outgross U2 with their Europe leg as well.
And don't forget that our boys only did 42 shows in the US compared to 75 U2 shows and nevertheless they grossed significantly more.
The same will happen in Europe.

As Soldatti said I see this tour reaching the $500 mio. mark. Incredible figures!
December 31st, 2005 10:37 AM
gimmekeef Its nice to beat U2 but....The numbers are bs so any conjecture is meaningless.Price per ticket is lower than actual and Cohl plays with the books so...we really dont know what the real figures are...
December 31st, 2005 12:31 PM
glencar Take the money & run tour...
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)