ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

Second Leg!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Pink Floyd voted greatest rock act of all time Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
December 26th, 2005 11:57 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:

Larry Bird wore 33......

Lady Bird is still alive .

December 27th, 2005 01:04 AM
keefjunkie
quote:
quackenbush wrote:

You're not using your properly, Keefjunkie.

huh?
December 27th, 2005 01:05 AM
keefjunkie oh.. sorry teacher
December 27th, 2005 05:27 AM
J.J.Flash Despite Pink Floyd being far from the truth of staying at the 1st position, it took my whole life so far to figure out how good and great they were/are. I NEVER gave a flying shit to their music, but 2005 should be know as "When R'n'R Jay meets the great Pink Floyd". I mean, they are a helluva piece of history for the Rock'n'Roll, and this year I learned some of their material, which made me feel surprised.

But this and being the 1st band..... "Total rubbish....."[In Charlie Watts voice]
[Edited by J.J.Flash]
December 27th, 2005 07:46 AM
corgi37 JB's 1st post on this thread is 100% how i feel and think about Floyd.
December 27th, 2005 10:26 AM
jb
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
JB's 1st post on this thread is 100% how i feel and think about Floyd.

And I agree with Joey that "Corgi is the King"..........
[Edited by jb]
December 27th, 2005 10:48 AM
wisertime Bon Jovi !! LOL
I wouldn't even include them in the top 500.
December 27th, 2005 11:00 AM
jb
quote:
wisertime wrote:
Bon Jovi !! LOL
I wouldn't even include them in the top 500.

They have been given the honor of opening the New Millenium Satdium in England ....they must be considered very big to be given that honor over the Stones, Robbie Williams, Elton, Macca, etc............
December 27th, 2005 12:16 PM
diegostone
quote:
Dutch Michael D. wrote:
1. The Rolling Stones

2. Led Zeppelin

3. Pink Floyd

4. The Who

5. AC/DC

6. U2

7. Guns N Roses

8. Nirvana

9. Jimi Hendrix

10. Bon Jovi

This is how this list should be...

The Stones, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.

Michael

Thats sounds better
December 27th, 2005 12:27 PM
Saint Sway I dont care about pecking order. But...

quote:

6. U2
7. Guns N Roses
8. Nirvana
9. Bon Jovi

do not belong on ANY list that includes:

quote:

1. Pink Floyd
2. Led Zeppelin
3. The Rolling Stones
4. The Who
5. AC/DC
10. Jimi Hendrix

December 27th, 2005 04:51 PM
BILL PERKS EARVIN "MAGIC" JOHNSON WORE 33 AT MICH. ST BUT ALAS,IT WAS TAKEN IN L.A. BY "CAP" AKA KAREEM ABDUL JABBAR AKA LEW ALCINDOR..HENCE THE MOVE TO #32..
December 27th, 2005 04:51 PM
Ten Thousand Motels I dont care about pecking order. But...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. U2
7. Guns N Roses
8. Nirvana
9. Bon Jovi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

do not belong on ANY list that includes:

I kind of agree with you but now the list needs four to replace them....how about.

The Kinks
early Savoy Brown
E-Steet Band and their Boss
J. Giels

December 27th, 2005 07:50 PM
keefjunkie BOB DYLAN!??
December 27th, 2005 10:27 PM
ezequiel2517 No Beatles!!! or its becouse they arenīt a rock band?

December 27th, 2005 10:52 PM
jb
quote:
ezequiel2517 wrote:
No Beatles!!! or its becouse they arenīt a rock band?

They are a pop band akin to En Sync, BSB, 98 degrees, Boys to Men, New Kids on the Block, etc. Lennon was an overrated , jealous man who hated the Stones...............We did what never could...create the most legendary mythology, music and longevity in rock...We were/are simply better. Lennon got fucked by a sick bastard, but he was no friend to the Stones as evidenced by all the recent comments coming out as of late. Mick and Keith had and still have mopre class not knocking the Beatles or U2...............
December 27th, 2005 11:27 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:

They have been given the honor of opening the New Millenium Satdium in England ....they must be considered very big to be given that honor over the Stones, Robbie Williams, Elton, Macca, etc............

1. Its called WEMBLEY stadium, as was the old one. It's the most famous stadium in the world, so it shouldnt be hard to remember the name

2. They werent "given" the honour of opening it. They simply booked it before anyone else did. Unlike a certain band who had they got the lead out of their fucking arses would have had the prestige of doing the job in their hometown. But hey, never mind, the Stones opened the new arena in Charlotte, didnt they, so thats OK? (no offence, Charlotte! ). The owners WANTED the Stones to open it, as they're the UK's biggest name act and are synonymous with the venue. The publicity the Stones would have got in being the first band to play there would have been immense. They fucked it up - again. To have THAT other 'band' get that gig is, to use one of your expressions, 'humiliating'.

3) Whether "the band whose name dare not be mentioned" get to open the venue is still uncertain as its not 100% confirmed that the stadium will be ready in time for early June.

4) I bet I hate them 100 times more than you hate the Beatles and U2 combined.
[Edited by Gazza]
December 27th, 2005 11:45 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:

1. Its called WEMBLEY stadium, as was the old one. It's the most famous stadium in the world, so it shouldnt be hard to remember the name

2. They werent "given" the honour of opening it. They simply booked it before anyone else did. Unlike a certain band who had they got the lead out of their fucking arses would have had the prestige of doing the job in their hometown. But hey, never mind, the Stones opened the new arena in Charlotte, didnt they, so thats OK? (no offence, Charlotte! ). The owners WANTED the Stones to open it, as they're the UK's biggest name act and are synonymous with the venue. The publicity the Stones would have got in being the first band to play there would have been immense. They fucked it up - again. To have THAT other 'band' get that gig is, to use one of your expressions, 'humiliating'.

3) Whether "the band whose name dare not be mentioned" get to open the venue is still uncertain as its not 100% confirmed that the stadium will be ready in time for early June.

4) I bet I hate them 100 times more than you hate the Beatles and U2 combined.
[Edited by Gazza]

You shall be greeted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There's even talk n this household of a posssible European vacation..........................developing!!!!
December 28th, 2005 06:58 AM
corgi37 JB SAID:
They are a pop band akin to En Sync, BSB, 98 degrees, Boys to Men, New Kids on the Block, etc. Lennon was an overrated , jealous man who hated the Stones...............We did what never could...create the most legendary mythology, music and longevity in rock...We were/are simply better. Lennon got fucked by a sick bastard, but he was no friend to the Stones as evidenced by all the recent comments coming out as of late. Mick and Keith had and still have mopre class not knocking the Beatles or U2...............

Again!! You did it again! You and i must have the same brain waves lately. The perfect post about the Liverpudlian ass lickers.
December 28th, 2005 11:39 AM
Gimme Shelter The Rolling Stones
The Beatles
The Who
David Bowie
Pink Floyd
Jimi Hendrix
Led Zeppelin
U2
Eric Clapton
The Doors
December 28th, 2005 01:17 PM
highwire If I may impose my top ten bands of all time. I have to toss out Bon Jovi and U2 though because I've never paid much attention to either and even the Beatles I listened to hard one summer 1976 and forgot about them after that, focusing on the 70's heavier bands.

1 Stones. Not even close
2. The Who. Hands down.Slam Dunk #2
3.Led Zep. Crank it up. Always sounds great.
Those are the big 3.Much more arbitrary after that.List could change from month to month depending on whats in cd player.

4. Bowie.The new stuff is still great.
5. Alice Cooper. New stuff Dirty Diamonds as good as the old.
6. Pat Benatar. yes cheesy but love her voice and her guitarist husband Neil Geraldo can really wail. This is personal choice.Other bands have achieved greater fame and glory.Her new stuff not so good.
7. Sex Pistols .One album wonders
8. Faces
9. Teenage Head.Local Hamilton/Toronto band. Rock n roll and punk.Maniacs. Seen them about 50 times.Great drinking band. Great guitarist Gord Lewis. Big from 79-85. Did make 7 albums. Still play shows.http://www.geocities.com/lucy_potato/
10.Guns and Roses. Slash respects his roots. (stones)
Honorable mention to Queen Loud and proud. Hom mention Pink Floyd. Crank it up. Relax sounds great.
[Edited by highwire]
December 28th, 2005 01:33 PM
jb
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
JB SAID:

Again!! You did it again! You and i must have the same brain waves lately. The perfect post about the Liverpudlian ass lickers.

That's why we are the 'Kings" of this board. We are simply more dedicated to the Stones than most. I have never seen other boards praise the Stones, yet, on all Stones boards I go to, I see other bands, shockingly, sometimes called equal to or better than the Stones,,WTF is up with that???
December 28th, 2005 01:59 PM
gimmekeef Highwire..wow I thought I was the only one who would know about Teenage Head!....still around???..Shit...Teen Age Beer Drinkin Party is still one of my all time faves!!!!...Original punks for sure...Oh and as for the list I was playing some Floyd again to see where I should rank them...but I fell asleep before I finished....
December 30th, 2005 02:25 PM
highwire Great party band Teenage Head.Anyone living in southern Ontario can't help but know them. They dominated the small concert hall and club circuit for about 5 years in the early 80's. I saw them every chance I got.They split late 80's, got back together midnineties and put out brand new album Head Disorder, released 1996. Theyve been gigging around southern Ontario regulary since Head Disorder came out. They are doing a New Years Eve shoe in Toronto and will be releasing their 9th album on Jan 10th. Album was recorded in 2003 with Marky Ramone and is finally being released. Only hardcores will buy it. Band still features 3 of 4 originals, singer, guitarist and bassist.Original drummer packed it in before release of Head Disorder.
The Head circa 1980-1983 remind me of the Stones circa 1963 playing packed concert halls to riots and screaming fans. The Head couldn't take the next step though, even though they evolved from a punk band to a full blown rock n roll band.
Funny story. I saw the Head at Horseshoe Tavern shortly after Stones had played their surprise gig there to open Bridges tour in 1997.
The Head used to play the Horseshoe and played many a show there until they out grew it. Frank Venom, lead singer, seem thrilled to be suddenly performing on a Stones stage and then joked with guitarist Gord Lewis, "you're Keith and I'm Mick. This is where they stood". Frankie was also quite drunk by this point in the show and fell off the stage twice before finally getting it together, while bitching there weren't enough chicks at the front of the stage. Rest of the band I could see was pissed as they had been looping the intro to final encore, until he got around to chiming in.
Teenage Beer Drinking Party is a classic. Their best material is on Frantic City, the second album and a lot of the fast punk/rock n roll stuff on Teenage Head debut, 1979. I particularly like, Picture My Face, their first single, Kissin The Carpet which is Frankie's defiant theme song
" If you don't like it, baby you can take a stroll, cause I can tell that you can't rock n roll"
This could have been Keef's theme back in the day.
and Little Boxes and of course their two best known songs Disgusteen ( "Nice Day for a Party") and Let's Shake both from Frantic City.
We used to go to the Head shows sporting our Gimme Some Head TShirts. Great fun. I used to worry my girlfriend was going to run off with the bassist. Actually she probably did and I wasn't any the wiser.
December 31st, 2005 11:48 AM
Paranoid_Android Conspicuous absense of The Beatles...as well as Queen and Radiohead...and as far as Pink Floyd goes...the should be at the top of the "Most Boring and Self Indulgent Bands" list.
January 1st, 2006 06:32 AM
corgi37 I'd rather have the Doors than Floyd any day.
January 1st, 2006 01:34 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
keefjunkie wrote:
BOB DYLAN!??

"Yes"??

January 1st, 2006 07:40 PM
glencar Pink Flood woulnd't even be on my Top 40 acts. Yes, I like Wish You Were Here but much of it is not really rock.
January 3rd, 2006 05:38 AM
IanBillen [quote]voodoopug wrote:

I dislike U2 and U2 Tribute Bands

U2 IMO are the most over rated band in the history of Rock (if you could even actually consider them rock).

I never seen the big fixation. I don't care for them much and never did. And besides, Bono is an idiot. The world, and even U2 fans know that one.

The world wanted to create another super-group in the early 90's so U2 were the only relative choice they figured. Ever since then some people and critics act like they are this gargantuine Rock monumental band that is right up there with The Stones or The Beatles. .....please.

U2's music has no balls, they don't rock (except for the single Vertigo), and Bono's voice is the smae exact tone ev ery friggin year, every friggin album, every friggin song.

I've always thought they were a lame band that was incredibly over rated and I still do.

Ian
January 3rd, 2006 05:59 AM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

U2 IMO are the most over rated band in the history of Rock (if you could even actually consider them rock).

if theyre not 'rock' what the fuck are they then, Mr Bon Jovi fan? Country? Rap? Folk?

quote:
IanBillen wrote:
And besides, Bono is an idiot

[Edited by Gazza]
January 3rd, 2006 06:57 AM
corgi37 Ahh, you are just defending your countrymen!

I was watching U2: Live in Chicago yesterday. It was on rotation on cable. Now, if anyone can tell me that was a concert with "balls", i'll eat my their undies. I mean, talk about fucking boring! Dullsville. They even fucked up their so-called good songs like "Bullet the blue sky". I was waiting for, you know, them to rock out a bit. But, it was boring dirge after even more boring dirge, followed by a bloody sermon, followed by more middle of the road crap. Now, i know U2. I've seen them. They were not too bad, i gotta say. But now???? Gimme a break. It's all contrived crap. And boy, aint Bono a tubby boy?

And, its such a 1 man show. The other 3 have as much personality as wet cardboard. Even though i really dont like them much at all, i was prepared to say "ok, show me the money. Show me the show. Prove to me".

And i gotta say, they didnt.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)