ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

Second Leg!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Pink Floyd voted greatest rock act of all time Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
January 3rd, 2006 07:15 AM
speedfreakjive it should read "the greatest prog-rock band of all time"
January 3rd, 2006 07:15 AM
Gazza
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Ahh, you are just defending your countrymen!

er, hardly.
January 3rd, 2006 11:57 AM
IanBillen [quote]Gazza wrote:

if theyre not 'rock' what the fuck are they then, Mr Bon Jovi fan? Country? Rap? Folk?

U2 are much more Pop than Rock. Maybe pop-rock. Certainly no Country or Folk.

A. They are not versatile enough to do Country or Folk.
B. Bono has not the balls to do any rap.

Gazza,

I know a few people that worked with Bonjovi, I told them the flack I was getting for admitting my thoughts that they are/were a talented group.

One of the two dudes said he has worked with 10,000 shitty bands that didn't deserve an amp or a microphone. Bonjovi defintately wasn't one of them. The other dude said the "he can sing" when someone said something about the band. Then he stated how they have a really good guitarist. He said they know what they are doing in there. (meaning studio) Alot of bands don't. Anyway Bonjovi is neither of the two's cup of tea. And are not mine really but I won't say they blow. Most people I know would work with them if given the chance and so would I.

Point being,
I am no Bonjovi fan. But I am not so hell bent that I will say they cannot play their instruments or write good songs. I know you may not appreciate this, and it is no dig to give you an idea of their talent Sambora blows the doors off the Edge as a guitar player. Everyone may make fun of me here but it is the truth. You might say Christina A. is an idiot that sucks but that girl can sing. She's got alot of talent. Oh well. What can you do.

Menudo, Now there is a band.

Ian

January 3rd, 2006 12:20 PM
Jumacfly A friend of mine opened for the Stones in paris, 1995, with Eric Lapointe(a shitty band!!).
he told me BJ's crew was the biggest amount of assholes in the universe.Same for the band, a bunch of arrogant wankers
who acted like if they were the Stones!
How can someone say they rock??? U2, even if they re not my cup of tea, got a couple of great songs,and their video where they tour in the US (don t remeber the tittle)and play the blues is also a nice one. even if Bono is a twat!!
January 3rd, 2006 01:22 PM
keefjunkie
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:

"Yes"??

nashville skyline
January 3rd, 2006 05:17 PM
IanBillen [quote]Jumacfly wrote:
A friend of mine opened for the Stones in paris, 1995, with Eric Lapointe(a shitty band!!).
he told me BJ's crew was the biggest amount of assholes in the universe.Same for the band, a bunch of arrogant wankers
who acted like if they were the Stones!
How can someone say they rock??? U2, even if they re not my cup of tea, got a couple of great songs,and their video where they tour in the US (don t remeber the tittle)and play the blues is also a nice one. even if Bono is a twat!!

I'd never go as far as saying "Bonjovi rock". I don't feel that strongly to say that about them and a statement like that would seem funny in today's day and age. And even back in the 80's you'd seem like a chic saying that.

But I won't say they suck and are worthless musicians and horrible song writers either. That is simply untrue. There is definately talent there. Sure it is cheezy. Sure they are a chics left over hair band from the eighties....but they have paid their dues and stuck it out. Where is Skid Row?(who'm I liked),
Where is Poisen? where is Slaughter....ya-da ya-da ya-da. Point is they are a good step above these bands but I get made fun of for saying that.

Hell where is Gun's and Roses if you want to talk about sticking it out.

Np Bonjovi isn't to be taken too seriously. How can you? But they are not lousy at what they do and they sure as hell beat out all the other hair bands in today's world. Fuck if you wanna make fun of someone....make fun of the Motlely Crue in today's music scene. They are much more of a joke than Bonjovi in today's market. Vince Neil is a fat ass, Tommy Lee is Mr. MTV real world and part time rapper, their new stuff stinks and nobody cares anymore. Maybe not back in the day but today they sure are behind Bonjovi in my book.

Bands like these you can say suck anymore and today are a real embarassment. I really don't think Bonjovi are an embarrasment as everyone acts like.

Ian
January 3rd, 2006 05:17 PM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
[quote]Gazza wrote:

if theyre not 'rock' what the fuck are they then, Mr Bon Jovi fan? Country? Rap? Folk?

U2 are much more Pop than Rock. Maybe pop-rock. Certainly no Country or Folk.

A. They are not versatile enough to do Country or Folk.
B. Bono has not the balls to do any rap.

Gazza,

I know a few people that worked with Bonjovi, I told them the flack I was getting for admitting my thoughts that they are/were a talented group.

One of the two dudes said he has worked with 10,000 shitty bands that didn't deserve an amp or a microphone. Bonjovi defintately wasn't one of them. The other dude said the "he can sing" when someone said something about the band. Then he stated how they have a really good guitarist. He said they know what they are doing in there. (meaning studio) Alot of bands don't. Anyway Bonjovi is neither of the two's cup of tea. And are not mine really but I won't say they blow. Most people I know would work with them if given the chance and so would I.

Point being,
I am no Bonjovi fan. But I am not so hell bent that I will say they cannot play their instruments or write good songs. I know you may not appreciate this, and it is no dig to give you an idea of their talent Sambora blows the doors off the Edge as a guitar player. Everyone may make fun of me here but it is the truth. You might say Christina A. is an idiot that sucks but that girl can sing. She's got alot of talent. Oh well. What can you do.

Menudo, Now there is a band.

Ian

well..I was teasing about asking whether they were country, rap or folk, but uh..never mind...(youre wrong on the versatility point anyway...U2's greatness or lack of it is a matter of opinion, but they've been pretty innovative over the last few years compared to most acts. How much innovation in his songwriting has Keith shown in the last decade?)

Pop...rock..rock n roll...fuck me, what is it with this necessity (which tends to be more a big deal with Americans)where every musical act has to be pigeonholed into some kind of genre or subgenre. Is it because your radio stations are so structured that some people are incapable of judging a band solely on the only criteria that matters - ie whether theyre good or bad (in my eyes, thats the only two types of music there are)

This 'pop' and 'rock' breakdown is nonsensical. What is practically everything the Stones recorded prior to 1968? What is 'Streets of love', 'Biggest mistake' and pretty much all of Jagger's solo albums? Rock? Not my your narrow definition...who fuckin cares anyway? Most of what passes for 'rock' music now is fucking hideous, anyway.

To get a few things straight on Bon Jovi. I've never said the guy cant sing, nor have I ever implied they were musically untalented. Their musical adeptness is irrelevant to me and any argument. Luciano Pavarotti is a great singer but I doubt he would sound or look too good in front of a rock n roll band. Steve Vai might be technically gifted but he just happens to make fucking awful records.

I'll give them some credit in that they keep their fanbase happy and dont appear to rip them off like some artists do.

they just happen to write songs that I find cliched and cringeworthy and make records that to me are like fingernails on a blackboard. They're soulless. Sirstonesalot made a post to you a few days ago which summed up why their music is all thats wrong about what that form of 'rawk' represents, but I'm arsed if I can be bothered looking for it. However, I'm sure you know the one I mean.
January 4th, 2006 04:06 AM
IanBillen Gazza wrote:
"How much innovation in his songwriting has Keith shown in the last decade?"

Response-
Here we are with Keith again. Well The Stones last album is, in most peoples opinions better than U2's last effort. Keith Richards wrote on it. OK it us not innovative. It isn't supposed to be. It is supposed to be a back to basics hard hitting Stones album. Even if all his innovation is dried out at this point.... so what man, Keith and Mick helped re-write the book when it comes to innovation decades ago through the sixties, and seventies. U2 don't have half of the music innovation credit Keith already churned out over the past 40 plus years. The guy is in his sixties. How much innovation can one dude or one band, for that matter produce? I mean you reach a point where it has been 4 or 5 decades of song writing, and you've helped change music entirely as we know it and Keith could possibly be a little dry by now as far as innovation goes but gee, he already did his part as far as innovation goes decades ago. But the dude can still write excellent Rock n Roll. I think A Bigger Bang is testimate to that. Not as a dig to your band but I don't know how eles to say this. If you want to talk innovation speak to the Edge. Tell him try a different lick on possibly just one of U2's songs. Every friggin song has that echoe based meloncholly friggin guitar. What is up with that? Geez talk to the dude about being innovative enough to tune his guitar differently for once.

Gazza wrote:

"Pop...rock..rock n roll...fuck me, what is it with this necessity (which tends to be more a big deal with Americans)where every musical act has to be pigeonholed into some kind of genre or subgenre. Is it because your radio stations are so structured that some people are incapable of judging a band solely on the only criteria that matters - ie whether theyre good or bad (in my eyes, thats the only two types of music there are)"

Resonse-
Good point and I cannot agree with you more. If I like a group I like them. No matter if they are Country or Hip-Hop. Who cares if it is good it is good and it appeals to me. But I think U2 are a Pop band and when folks say they are a Rock band as in the vain of The Who, The Stones, or Led Zep, or Van Halen or something it irk's me because they are not in that vain to me.

Gazza Wrote:
"This 'pop' and 'rock' breakdown is nonsensical. What is practically everything the Stones recorded prior to 1968? What is 'Streets of love', 'Biggest mistake' and pretty much all of Jagger's solo albums? Rock? Not my your narrow definition...who fuckin cares anyway? Most of what passes for 'rock' music now is fucking hideous, anyway.

To get a few things straight on Bon Jovi. I've never said the guy cant sing, nor have I ever implied they were musically untalented."

Response-
I know you didn't but everyone eles talks about it in so many words. That wasn't directed to you. At least you realize the dudes are good musicians or at least not amatuers for crying out loud. That is just being realistic.

Gazza Wrote:
"they just happen to write songs that I find cliched and cringeworthy"

Response-
I know. dido. They are not a balls to the wall raw Rock band. I know that. I am no Bonjovi fan but I am not so unrealistic to say they are completely talentless some basically say here on this board. And there are worse bands out there that do not get made fun of is why I am surprised. I mean my cousin said he like Chicago a few weeks ago in a room full of people and nobody said anything except for me. I just made a quick remark like I might like them if I was getting sedimental with my girl friend or something but ...

Anyway If he would of said he liked Bonjovi everyone would of been like WTF?

Well Chicago is no better belive me but nobody said anything.
Fuck man I like Bonjovi alot better than Chicago and I will proudly admit that to anyone.
*And I am glad you agree that most Rock out there today is hideous. I posted a topic on this recently and I have been getting slammed again for saying that over the past week or so.

Good Posting,

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
[Edited by IanBillen]
January 4th, 2006 05:05 AM
Jumacfly Every Bon Zobi lover should lie in a bed of roses...
January 4th, 2006 03:11 PM
highwire I find U2 to be a big bore however I caught the end of Rattle and Hum on TV the other day. They did some Stones songs, Sympathy and something else, maybe Ruby Tuesday. I saw the titles roll in the credits.
At least they pay tribute and acknowledge greatness in their cover selections.
January 4th, 2006 09:49 PM
gypsymofo60 Just one question; what the fuck was ever so bloody great about Pinkfuckingboringfloydd. Sid Barret and the glove puppet orchestra.
January 4th, 2006 09:55 PM
gypsymofo60 And where are The Cult? Now there is one very underated band. Even if Astbury thinks hiphoping and rapping is his noothang.
January 4th, 2006 10:39 PM
jb
quote:
gypsymofo60 wrote:
Just one question; what the fuck was ever so bloody great about Pinkfuckingboringfloydd. Sid Barret and the glove puppet orchestra.

Pink Floyd=helpful insomania aid while masterbsting.
January 4th, 2006 11:37 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
jb wrote:

Pink Floyd=helpful insomania aid while masterbsting.

Ahhhh Now I know why they appeal to so many wankers. Thanks JB
January 4th, 2006 11:44 PM
jb
quote:
gypsymofo60 wrote:
Ahhhh Now I know why they appeal to so many wankers. Thanks JB

Indeed....they are a boring band, for boring people, with boring taste. I hate them...but not as much as Beatles and U2.
January 4th, 2006 11:52 PM
gypsymofo60 Yeah I remember you hate The Moptops and U2. Bono's getting right up my nose these days with his self-righteous feed the world, reduce third world debt crap. If he's so concerned about third world debt let him pay it.
January 4th, 2006 11:53 PM
jb
quote:
gypsymofo60 wrote:
Yeah I remember you hate The Moptops and U2. Bono's getting right up my nose these days with his self-righteous feed the world, reduce third world debt crap. If he's so concerned about third world debt let him pay it.

Indeed....stop asking other ..the fat fuck seems well fed..save some liver for ther poor african babies!!!
January 5th, 2006 12:06 AM
gypsymofo60 He ceased to be a rock star after too many pints with the other tv evangelist Geldof. Where do they get off preaching to the kids who buy their bloody records about Fucking Africa. If Africans stopped running around with bloody machetes and hacking each other to death and allowing the Mugabes and amins into power they could all eat. Oh! now I'll be a racist pig again.
January 5th, 2006 10:23 AM
jb
quote:
gypsymofo60 wrote:
He ceased to be a rock star after too many pints with the other tv evangelist Geldof. Where do they get off preaching to the kids who buy their bloody records about Fucking Africa. If Africans stopped running around with bloody machetes and hacking each other to death and allowing the Mugabes and amins into power they could all eat. Oh! now I'll be a racist pig again.

YOu are a fine poster!!!!
January 5th, 2006 10:37 AM
glencar Indeed!
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)