ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

With the legendary Bill Graham aka Wolfgang Grajonca (check his Vaults before it's too late!)
Live Aid Benefit Concert - Philadelphia, PA July 13, 1985
© Unknown Author (Thanks anyway)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Modern Times named the best album of 2006 by Rolling Stone Return to archive Page: 1 2
15th December 2006 10:36 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Friday, December 15, 2006
The Rock RAdio

Bob Dylan top Rolling Stone album poll, may sue film

Bob Dylan's latest album, the Grammy-nominated Modern Times, has been named the best album of 2006 by Rolling Stone. The magazine says that the album, which Dylan released in August, "is a groove album disguised as a poetry album, leaning hard on the rhythm section." Modern Times tops Rolling Stone's list of the Top 50 albums of the year, which is just out on newsstands.

Modern Times debuted at Number One on the Billboard 200 chart in its first week of release. It's currently at Number 86 and has sold nearly 729,00 copies.

Dylan is up for three Grammy Awards: Modern Times is up for Best Contemporary Folk/Americana Album, while the track "Someday Baby," which appeared in an iPod commercial, is nominated for Best Rock Song and Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance.

He resumes touring in late March in Europe.

16th December 2006 05:54 AM
F505 I did predict that 2 months earlier on this board.
16th December 2006 09:53 AM
Coming Down Again Does anybody really care what Rolling Stone thinks these days?
Who is on the current cover? Britney? Jessica Simpson, maybe?
16th December 2006 12:15 PM
mrhipfl He deserves it, it's a great album. I'm I right in assuming that his album has sold more that ABB?
16th December 2006 12:21 PM
MikeyC613 Yeah God forbid Rolling Stone puts a real band on the cover every week instead of Borat, Snoop Dogg Santa, or whatever talentless pop twat they decide will sell issues.

Like it'd be such a sin to put Gnarls Barkley, My Morning Jacket, or any other good, new band on the cover to get people saying, "What's this?". Rolling Stone is a joke, sad to say.
16th December 2006 01:00 PM
Martha GO Bob GO!

What a year he's had! Never seen him happier. No wonder. I'd be that happy too...

....he's definitely on a Roll!

BTW, I confess, it was me that pushed the sales numbers up. I've purchased more than half of the total sales of MT! LOL

;-)
16th December 2006 01:34 PM
Sir Stonesalot I like Modern Times a whole bunch...but it won't be my #1. Top 5 somewhere for sure...but not #1.
16th December 2006 01:59 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Coming Down Again wrote:
Does anybody really care what Rolling Stone thinks these days?
Who is on the current cover? Britney? Jessica Simpson, maybe?

YES I DO CARE WHO IS ON THE RLLING STONE COVER.
I PREFER TO SEE EITHER JESSICA OR BRITNEY RATHER THAN THE LATEST....SNOOP DOG.
16th December 2006 02:02 PM
Gazza Yes its a great record, but.....

Bruce's 'Seeger Sessions' was slightly better....
16th December 2006 02:06 PM
lotsajizz yeah...not a bad album but it was his worst in fifteen years.....
16th December 2006 02:22 PM
Dan Peeping Tom self titled debut closely followed by Mudhoney Under A Billion Suns.
16th December 2006 02:52 PM
Mel Belli It would definitely make my Top 10 ... in 1948.
16th December 2006 09:36 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
It would definitely make my Top 10 ... in 1948.

17th December 2006 05:36 AM
F505
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Yes its a great record, but.....

You must be kidding!!!!
17th December 2006 09:33 AM
Martha
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Yes its a great record, but.....

Well, of course YOU would say that! ;-)

I can't compare these people to anyone else. I'd make a shitty judge.
17th December 2006 10:24 AM
Gazza
quote:
F505 wrote:

You must be kidding!!!!

Nope
17th December 2006 10:44 AM
Nasty Habits He's not kidding, he's just wrong . . .
17th December 2006 11:32 AM
Gazza
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
He's not kidding, he's just wrong . . .

Whatever. Its not like I dont like the bloody record or something. Its excellent
17th December 2006 12:05 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Whatever. Its not like I dont like the bloody record or something. Its excellent

"whatever".....Oh My...write this one in the books!!!

When ya love Bob and Bruce pretty much equally..sometimes it is hard to make that determination. Bruce's album makes me happy..... puts a smile on my face, I sing out loud(not a pleasant sound), I get up and dance , clap my hands, stomp my feet, bob my head.

Bob's album...Oh yes I might sing along to this too. The lyrics are beautiful and the songs take me to different places...yes it makes me think..

Both of them have the qualities you want in a great record..I ain't choosing..I love them both.
17th December 2006 12:06 PM
Fiji Joe I have neither and y'all are making me feel out of the loop...gonna cost me $30 bucks to get caught up
17th December 2006 12:32 PM
gimmekeef Good choice in a usually bad year.Remember when classic albums came out ...5 or 6 a year?..And you'd play em many times a week for months?....How many of you have played the new Dylan more than 5 times?.....Thought so.......The times they have a changed......
17th December 2006 02:10 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
How many of you have played the new Dylan more than 5 times?.....Thought so.......The times they have a changed......

Twice for me. Been collecting dust ever since. It's not a bad record, by any stretch. It's just that, after hearing it once, it immediately felt overly familiar -- like I'd already heard it 100 times and gotten tired of it...
17th December 2006 02:15 PM
Soldatti Rolling Stone's year end list and ridiculous, GITD ranked #3 on 2001 and ABB #2 last year. Still, the positive reviews didn't help for the albums sales, it shows the lack of credibility for the general public.
17th December 2006 03:13 PM
Nasty Habits Gazza - I was just giving you shit, mate. I don't like the Springsteen nearly as much as you, but it was WAAAAY more fun and less strident than I expected it to be. Happy to debate their relative merits til the cows come home, but no disrespect would ever be intended.

I've played Modern Times as much or more than any other music recorded this year, with the isolated exception of a few songs off the new King Khan and BBQ Show record or maybe the first five tracks off the New York Dolls album. All in all it was a pretty weak year for actual albums, although not a bad year at all for songs here and there, as befits music in this incredible punishing downloadable world. Modern Times was the most interesting album I heard, certainly the most significant on a mage labe, although that Clipse album is pretty damn funky, really.

To me, Modern Times is a genuinely peculiar and somewhat inscrutable album that works as an easy listening stroll or high-impact puzzle-solving maze.
17th December 2006 03:43 PM
Gazza
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Gazza - I was just giving you shit, mate. I don't like the Springsteen nearly as much as you, but it was WAAAAY more fun and less strident than I expected it to be. Happy to debate their relative merits til the cows come home, but no disrespect would ever be intended.

Jesus, none taken whatsoever. Its a toss-up for me, with my opinion admittedly slightly prejudiced by seeing 4 Bruce shows in 5 days last month.

had you asked me about 5 weeks ago...my answer might have been different
[Edited by Gazza]
17th December 2006 03:51 PM
F505
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Good choice in a usually bad year.Remember when classic albums came out ...5 or 6 a year?..And you'd play em many times a week for months?....How many of you have played the new Dylan more than 5 times?.....Thought so.......The times they have a changed......

I have played the new Dylan at least 25 times and it is getting better every time.

17th December 2006 03:55 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
F505 wrote:

I have played the new Dylan at least 25 times and it is getting better every time.

AMEN!!!!
17th December 2006 06:23 PM
glencar I hadn't played MT much in the past 2 months but in the alst week I've played it thrice. I like it more now than I did last September. Is it best of the year? I dunno. But I know I like it!
18th December 2006 01:30 PM
Sir Stonesalot >How many of you have played the new Dylan more than 5 times?<

Me. I've played it at least 50 times.

I like Nasty's description "high-impact puzzle-solving maze". I hear something new on that fucker every time I spin it.
18th December 2006 01:43 PM
F505 UNCUT’S DEFINITIVE ALBUMS OF 2006

The 50 albums that rocked our world and why

1. BOB DYLAN
Modern Times
COLUMBIA
“I wrote these songs in a hypnotic state. These songs are in my genes, and I couldn’t stop them comin’ out,” Dylan told Rolling Stone this year, as the buzz around his first new album in five years reached a critical mass. As Dylan implied, Modern Times sounded like an effortless masterpiece: blues, jazz, folk and primitive rock’n’roll inhaled over many decades, then exhaled in beautiful and charismatic, subtly-adjusted forms. At once playful and apocalyptic, Dylan swaggered to the top of the American charts for the first time in 30 years, Harry Smith’s anthology in one fist, the Old Testament in the other. Now we should stop claiming that Modern Times completed a trilogy of late Dylan classics, and accept that wonderful records will roll and tumble out of him for years to come.

2. SCRITTI POLITTI
White Bread Black Beer
ROUGH TRADE
The odd career of Green Gartside reached an apotheosis with this, Scritti’s long-awaited fifth album. After Marxist post-punk, academic subversions of lush mainstream pop and a shaky dalliance with hip hop, White Bread saw Gartside creating intimate, voluptuous bedroom soul and lo-fi Beatlesy guitar pop from his Hackney headquarters. The arch theorist’s first, hugely touching, love songs, too.

3. COMETS ON FIRE
SUB POP
With acid-folk being so ubiquitous, it was only a matter of time before the freaks found their amps again. The fourth album by California’s Comets On Fire was a modern psychedelic marvel, as Ethan Miller and his hairy compadres streamlined the freeform noise of their previous records into ferocious classic rock, proudly channelling Hendrix, the Dead, even The Allman Brothers in the process.

4. JOANNA NEWSOM
Ys
DRAG CITY
Perhaps the most single-minded and ambitious album of the year, Ys was an epic five-song suite performed by Newsom, a singer and harpist from just outside San Francisco. Myth, sex and nature intertwined in her compelling narrative, while Van Dyke Parks added a lavish orchestral score. A baroque pop masterpiece, that confirmed Newsom as this generation’s Kate Bush.

5. NEIL YOUNG
Living With War
REPRISE
If recent albums suggested Young was mellowing, the rough and ready protest grunge of Living With War showed how the old warhorse is at his most potent when he gets angry. Recorded on the hoof with bass, drums, wobbly trumpet and 100-strong choir, it was a crude and highly effective indictment of Bush and his disastrous policies, from the heart of a disillusioned patriot. Some of his best tunes in years, as well.

6. THE ARCTIC MONKEYS
Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not
DOMINO
Massive sales, the Mercury Music Prize, one lost bassist: at this end of 2006, it’s worth recalling what all the fuss was originally about. The Monkeys’ debut was a gimlet-eyed dissection of ordinary Sheffield lives passing from adolescence to adulthood, with a wit that aligned Alex Turner to English pop’s lineage of great social commentators and a surprisingly funky motor beneath the spindly guitars.

7. MIDLAKE
The Trials Of Van Occupanther
BELLA UNION
London’s Bella Union label have made a speciality of tapping into the Texan psych underground, and the second album by Midlake was their most valuable find yet. Van Occupanther took its cues from the Mercury Rev of Deserter’s Songs: mellow, captivating pastoral rock with a trippy subtext. But at their best, with their creamy harmonies to the fore, Midlake revealed their true peers to be Crosby, Stills & Nash.

8. HOT CHIP
The Warning
EMI
The second album by Putney’s wry tech-geeks, a winning combination of slightly fey, little-boy-lost indie, vintage synthpop and 21st Century dance music. Britain’s most potent response to New York’s DFA sound was at once surging and vulnerable – notably on the outstanding “Boy From School” - and paved the way for a clutch of indie-dance hybrids set to hit the mainstream in 2007.

9. SUFJAN STEVENS
The Avalanche
ROUGH TRADE
Slow progress on Stevens’ 50 states project, as he remained stuck on Illinois. The Avalanche was billed as a bunch of out-takes from 2005’s superb Illinois. But the fecundity and quality of Stevens’ songwriting ensured that these 21 micro-detailed, literate, funny and moving snapshots – hymning Saul Bellow and Adlai Stevenson amongst others - were very nearly the equal of their illustrious predecessors.

10. THOM YORKE
The Eraser
XL
Yorke’s solo debut was not, in truth, dramatically different from latterday Radiohead. In fact, The Eraser’s lucid and insidious blend of Warp-style electronica and singer-songwriter tumult – Uncut’s reviewer drew parallels with Roy Harper – placed it as a sort of belated follow-up to Kid A. In a year of fine and varied political engagement, Yorke’s voice was one of the most eloquent: subtle, profoundly frightened.

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)