ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

Christmas Greetings from Kaliningrad, Russia!
© Irina
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Aussie news Return to archive Page: 1 2
December 5th, 2005 04:58 AM
Daethgod nothing new really, but Christie Eliezer said this in his online column :

STONES FOR AUTUMN?

Talks apparently continue between the Stones and the Dainty Corporation for an April visit. A hitch is that their current 65 m. stage set is too big for indoor venues, and the timing has them at odds with outdoor sports events. Quite a change from their 1972 visit when they drove out to Kooyong for an afternoon show, returned to their hotel Rydges and then did an evening set.

http://www.themusic.com.au/im_m/eliezer.php

December 5th, 2005 06:24 AM
corgi37 Fuck football.
Fuck the Commonwealth Games.
Fuck U2 (which sold out in no time at all - approx 40,000).
Fuck the AFL for tearing down Waverley.

Again, i say, what about Olympic Park?

So, it looks like New Zealand for me!
[Edited by corgi37]
December 7th, 2005 08:51 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Fuck football.
Fuck the Commonwealth Games.
Fuck U2 (which sold out in no time at all - approx 40,000).
Fuck the AFL for tearing down Waverley.

Again, i say, what about Olympic Park?

So, it looks like New Zealand for me!
[Edited by corgi37]

Agreed! fuck Aussie rules football.
double fuck the common arsed games. I'm leaving the country to escape that load of parochial hype.
U2've lost the plot. Bono's preachy rhetoric get's up my nose. Why doesn't he donate all his squillions to clearing third world debt? And Waverley was a dump anyway.
December 7th, 2005 08:56 PM
glencar What does all that mean? Will they play there at all or just NZ?
December 7th, 2005 09:15 PM
corgi37 Doesnt look good. Our stadiums look likely to be unavailable. The 2nd rate ones, like Olympic Park in Vic and SCG in Sydney might be available. I simply cant see them coming here without doing at least 3 states. There would be no point in just playing Sydney.

However, i doubt very much if they play N.Z. that they would skip us. It's just that the preferred stadiums will be booked by football. Both codes (Rugby & Aussie Rules).

Daeth!!! Melbourne might be lucky though. The MCG is used less and less these days. Early April might be fine as many games either at Telstra, or are interstate. A mid-week concert might be ok. But, for God sake, i wish they would announce something soon.
December 7th, 2005 11:15 PM
gypsymofo60 Let's face it, the only decent Aussie venues are The Sydney Stadium, The MCG and The Melbourne Tennis Centre. COLONIAL is rubbish. As Mr. Daltrey said, "It might be alright for sport, but as a music venue it sucks."

Truer words were never spoken, but even as a sporting venue it's bollocks.
December 7th, 2005 11:26 PM
voodoopug
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Doesnt look good. Our stadiums look likely to be unavailable. The 2nd rate ones, like Olympic Park in Vic and SCG in Sydney might be available. I simply cant see them coming here without doing at least 3 states. There would be no point in just playing Sydney.

However, i doubt very much if they play N.Z. that they would skip us. It's just that the preferred stadiums will be booked by football. Both codes (Rugby & Aussie Rules).

Daeth!!! Melbourne might be lucky though. The MCG is used less and less these days. Early April might be fine as many games either at Telstra, or are interstate. A mid-week concert might be ok. But, for God sake, i wish they would announce something soon.

Sadly, this, along with 30 Odd Foot of Grunt, has humiliated Austrailia, New Zealand, and the eastern half of the great barrier reef and all of its creatures. i am very sorry Corgi, you are a good man and do not deserve this!
December 7th, 2005 11:34 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

Sadly, this, along with 30 Odd Foot of Grunt, has humiliated Austrailia, New Zealand, and the eastern half of the great barrier reef and all of its creatures. i am very sorry Corgi, you are a good man and do not deserve this!

....Australia's a global laughing stock full stop. Just look at the recent commotion concerning this drug traffiker. Trying to use The International Court of Appeals to have a known traffiker's sentence overturned. If he'd commited the crime in OZ he'd be banged up no questions asked. It costs groups like The Stones a small fortune to haul their gear down here, and what do they get? The shittiest venues on God's green earth.
December 8th, 2005 03:41 AM
RSRTG Does anyone have any idea when shows might be announced for Oz??
I'm getting 'itchy feet' about the whole thing and am considering buying tickets for the Wembley#2 show next August and travelling to the U.K. The thing is, that if I do that I need to purchase soon to get good seats unlike my attempt in '99 which saw me miles from the stage.(it was still farking great tho!)
I really hope they announce something soon so that I can get my shit sorted so that I can rest easy.
December 8th, 2005 08:29 PM
corgi37 Well, this band has stuffed me up really good. I wanted to go to Queensland to check on the bikini girl situation, and now i cant even think of booking until i get a tour date. Plus, i probably cant afford to see the Stones AND go to Qld. Anyway, i am going up to Qld in Aug/Sept, so i aint too fussed.

I'm going to ring Paul Dainty Corp now.
December 9th, 2005 12:03 AM
RSRTG I dont understand why they (the stones) dont bring their 'arena' shows back to Australia this time around.
They were certainly a success for them with the Licks Tour.
As each day passes and I log in to check out any news for the tour to Oz, I get more and more depressed.
I need to know either way very soon whether they will tour or not so plans can be made.
I have 3 passions in my life, one is The Rolling Stones, the other is my footy club and the other is breathing.

I love this band, their music changed my life.
December 9th, 2005 01:41 AM
Daethgod yer i want 3 arena shows again at Rod Laver Arena

cmon Mick !

lets see :
1 Tattoo You show
1 Exile/Some Girls show
1 Bigger Bang Night

do it baby !!

December 9th, 2005 01:42 AM
Daethgod hey corgi
any news from Dainty ?
or did u get the usual 'we know nuthink' routine ...

December 9th, 2005 06:05 AM
egon Australia is a great country!

[Edited by egon]
December 10th, 2005 08:41 AM
corgi37 Got zip from Dainty. Spoke to a chick who i am pretty sure didnt even know who the Stones were. Just gave me the usual "Nothing confirmed".

I however, must disagree over the show. I want the stadium. All the bells and whistles. Just the sheer size and spectacle. Because, i dont think they would sell anywhere near as many shows as last time if it was arena.

Reasons?
1. ABB flopped here just as badly as the U.S.
2. Ticket prices would be through the roof. And, for people who saw them nearly 3 years ago, they aint gonna pay around $450 for a minimal set. Sorry, they wont.
3. Oldies wont be able to afford it.
4. With U2 and maybe Macca coming out doing huge shows, the Stones simply have to compete. They virtually invented all this anyway! I wouldnt them being upstaged. If they are competing for the big bucks tour dollar, and do a small arena, no frills show, yet charge the same as Macca or U2 (or even more!), then they will do maybe 1 sold out show here in Melb, and maybe a 2nd not-sold-out gig. I'm telling ya, no one gives a shit about them here anymore.
5. They will be torn apart in the press if they bring a no frills show, yet the ticket prices are the same as stadium gigs by other bands. hey, they may have been able to justify it in say 81, or 95, but not now.

And that tears my soul apart.
[Edited by corgi37]
December 11th, 2005 02:59 AM
Daethgod i hear ya corgs

todays Sun Herald also mentioned that Melb aint looking good ..
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,17525955%255E27258,00.html
Stones' rocky road

By FIONA BYRNE
11dec05

COULD The Rolling Stones juggernaut roll past Melbourne?

There is an increasing likelihood that next year's proposed Australian tour by the English rockers may not include Melbourne.

Football may give the boot to the self-proclaimed greatest rock band in the world.

The band's global tour schedule has a two-week window for Australian shows in April.

The size of the Stones' show means that a stadium such as the MCG or Telstra Dome would be required to stage the act.

The enormous show needs up to a week to bump in and bump out of venues and is understood to be too big to fit into Rod Laver Arena.

With round one of the AFL season kicking off on Thursday, March 30, there is at this stage no window of that size available at the Melbourne's best maxi venues.

It is understood that the Stones' Australian promoter, Paul Dainty, had been in discussions with Telstra Dome, but talks ceased this week after it was realised that it was impossible for the venue to cope with a Rolling Stones show and fulfil its football fixture commitments.

The Stones first toured Australia in 1965.

Their last visit was in 2003 when their "40 Licks" show, essentially a greatest hits set, sold out three nights at Rod Laver Arena.

Their "Bigger Bang" world tour, which started in Boston in August, has drawn rave reviews, proving that the grandpas of rock have not slowed down as they move into their senior years.

Despite their ageing status -- Mick Jagger is 62, Keith Richards 61, Charlie Watts 64 and Ronnie Wood 58 -- the band has been lauded for its latest album, A Bigger Bang, which many critics say is their best work in years.
December 11th, 2005 06:34 PM
corgi37 I read that too Daeth. Then went to my club and got blind.

Lets have a road trip to Sydney!
December 11th, 2005 07:44 PM
voodoopug
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
I read that too Daeth. Then went to my club and got blind.

Lets have a road trip to Sydney!

Sadly, it appears that U2 is calling all the shots these days...we must keep hope that Young Jake Cohl will fix all this!
December 11th, 2005 09:30 PM
corgi37 Shit, i just had that light bulb go off in my head.

Why cant they play Optus Oval? They've had concerts there before. They had that massive "Aida" opera there a few years ago. Had the elephants and everything.
December 12th, 2005 02:05 AM
RSRTG I dont care where they play as long as they come to Oz.
Would it be too much to ask for a concert in Adelaide as well?
Oh well, I'll just sit and wait.....and wait.
December 12th, 2005 04:29 AM
Daethgod Princes Park would work or even Olympic Park..

to quote Lleyton 'Moneybags' Hewitt : "... C'MON !!!!!!!!!!!!"

December 12th, 2005 08:35 PM
corgi37 Anywhere but Calder!
December 13th, 2005 05:03 AM
RSRTG I've noticed another 'rumoured' date has been set for New Zealand. Surely there will be some sort of announcement soon regarding an Australian tour.
I'm keepin my fingers crossed for some positive news before xmas!
When something is announced, I'm either gonna party hard or drown my sorrows and put myself into major debt by purchasing tickets for an overseas concert...probably the U.K.
Any new info on a tour to Oz would be greatly appreciated.
I wanna see the Stones on my home turf for crying out loud!
December 13th, 2005 06:36 AM
egon with all the shit happening in sydney, i doubt they'll still come.

in the end you are all stil la bunch of criminals, aren't you?
December 13th, 2005 08:59 AM
Stonefarker AFL is ALOT bigger in Australia than the Stones!
And it's certainly more affordable....

And isn't it sad that it would cost the Stones a "small fortune" to get all their gear to Australia!!
Bloody hell - we wouldn't want to take a penny from Mick or Keith's pockets after charging ridiculously high ticket prices!!!!!!!

BTW - it's Telstra Dome not Colonial anymore...

Perhaps they'll play at Moorabbin...
December 13th, 2005 05:34 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
egon wrote:
with all the shit happening in sydney, i doubt they'll still come.

egon did you know the dutch are actually credited as being the first europeans to "discover" australia??

fortunately they arrived in the north west where there is nothing but sand dunes and flies and decided the palce wasn't worth the effort - otherwise we might all be wearing clogs,building windmills and cultivating tulips!!

on the positive side tho, we might now also have some of those excellent "coffee houses""
December 13th, 2005 05:35 PM
Joey

There is ALWAYS U2 !!!!!!

W- W- W- What ?!?!

www.U2Tours.com

December 13th, 2005 10:04 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
egon wrote:
with all the shit happening in sydney, i doubt they'll still come.

>>>>>> I think you will find dear Egon that the criminals in this case are those wonderful Lebonese immigrants and their hip-hop copy cat mentality. This time The Aussies are in the right in taking back the streets of south Sydney.
December 13th, 2005 10:47 PM
voodoopug
quote:
gypsymofo60 wrote:
>>>>>> I think you will find dear Egon that the criminals in this case are those wonderful Lebonese immigrants and their hip-hop copy cat mentality. This time The Aussies are in the right in taking back the streets of south Sydney.

What is this damn world coming to???
December 13th, 2005 10:54 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

What is this damn world coming to???

>>>>I have no idea! But what's your point? Are you in disagreement with my sentiments on ungrateful immigrants who felt it was necessary to beat up three surf lifesavers who were going about their business on a busy Sydney beach on a voluntary basis?
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)