ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Irina
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: BC Stadium, Vancouver, November 25...setlist, reviews, pics Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
26th November 2006 10:58 AM
Gazza Correction : The setlist originally posted had 19 songs. They finished with 'Satisfaction' making it a 20 song set. So, Mick's 'set' was of normal length
26th November 2006 12:13 PM
GotToRollMe LJ, thanks for bringing in the setlist last night! Sorry I wasn't here with you, but something came up and I couldn't make it. THREE Keith songs...including "Slipping Away!" Wow! I feel so fortunate to have seen them this tour, especially MSG, Giants, and AC.

Ah, what a beautiful buzz...
26th November 2006 01:14 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Wow a three-songs set by Keith! Now we're talking

No pictures yet?
26th November 2006 01:14 PM
tobis Just got back home. Me and my 12 YO son had a great time.

Nice review. Some comments of my own... if anyone cares..

Mick had a long talk about how this was the last show of the tour and thanks to all the 150,000 people who helped with the setup.

BC place security was super lax - we went from our 99 floor seats to the 350 floor seats without be questions at all. Almost everyone had a camera or some kind of recording device. Near the end a group of security guards were rocking in the isles themselves. Not a smoker so I wish they would clamp down on all the (cigarette and other smokers) though!
Midnight rambler they did something wicked with the video and made it look like the Gimme Shelter movie - flooded colors and close ups. Man I felt like it was 1969! Awesome.

For the center stage we went back to our "real" seats that were 3 rows and about 3 feet away from the boys. Nice closeups but couldn't hear ANYTHING coming from Mick. Charlie couldn't either (I think) because he was tilting his head and chuckling. Mick was fiddling with his 2 transceivers and probably knew something was going wonky. So he did more arm flapping and so on to make up for it.

3 Keith songs were pretty good because it was the real Keith - but he sounded like he had a few too many Bourbons (or maybe too few) on his throat.

Charlie was AWESOME - paint it black and oops I forgot one near the beginning. Way more power than in 2003.

Overall I think they wanted to go out with a huge bang on this tour and that was it. Actually the satisfaction from the left 1/2 way back section A was super loud and the fireworks and drums whoa - ear burner.

Not trying to sound selfish, but everyone there was so lucky to see such an awesome show. My 7th stones in the past 25+ years. best Pontiac Silverdome 1981 (Keith with his REAL bottle of JD!), and Mick on the cherry picker flying over my head. 2nd best (hmm tie) last night and 1997 Seattle Kingdome.

I'd post my pictures but they suck from my free camera phone.
26th November 2006 01:15 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Found this review at "The Vancouver Sun", there's some pix but not sure if they are from the same show

Going out with a bang
Peter Birnie, Vancouver Sun
Published: Sunday, November 26, 2006
The Rolling Stones
B.C. Place Nov. 25

Though the weather outside was frightful, the 51,000 of us packed into B.C. Place stadium couldn't have cared less. The Rolling Stones were playing the last gig of their latest world tour here in Vancouver on a snowy Saturday night, and A Bigger Bang was proving to be just as big and ballsy as any Stones mega-show.

The buzz in the air was not just from all the pot smoke wafting around the stadium. One thought was morbidly inescapable: This could be the last time. These days Mick Jagger finds himself humming that song by his old rivals, "When I'm 64", especially after juggling some show dates around a soar throat. Keith Richards can't keep himself from falling out of tropical trees and landing on his head. Ron Wood took another stab at rehab while on tour. Even before the Vancouver show started, the figures were in: A Bigger Bang is the biggest moneymaker of all time on the touring circuit, raking in $437 million US at 116 shows since August 2005. Surely to God the Stones, who will hit their half-century mark as a band in just a few years, can now retire, rich beyond the dreams of avarice. Right?

Not bloody likely. It's rumoured they'll be back in 2007 to add some more bang to A Bigger Bang, heading for the magical mark of half a billion in revenue. But that's not what keeps bringing the lads back, and especially The Pout That Struts. They love what they're doing. And despite the fact fresher talent has been passing their tour bus in the fast lane for decades, audiences still show up to share a noisy, raunchy love-in with these wildly entertaining stabs from the past.

How sexy is Mick Jagger? At one point mid-concert, as the band was being pulled back to the mainstage on a platform from a mini-show presented about 50 metres away for the folks in the "cheap" seats, Mick pulled up his trademark tight T-shirt and flashed us a torso in such incredible shape that few guys in the audience could match him. Nor could most of the crowd, whether young or the many weighing toward Mick's age, have kept up with his spirited dance moves and trademark gestures selling every song.

Opening acts on this tour have included Kanye West, Van Morrison and Alice Cooper. We got Bonnie Raitt, fresh off her biodiesel bus, and the lovely lady of the long red locks opened the evening with a booming blues set. Frankly, I could listen to the amazing range of her voice and seasoned guitar work without benefit of one watt of amplification. Her dad died not long ago, and Raitt recently told Sun writer Amy O'Brian that the late, great John Raitt, perhaps the best belter Broadway ever heard, is still very much with her. A moving moment came when she thanked Canadian jazz singer Shirley Eikhard "for helpin' me turn my life around" before performing Eikhard's "Something to Talk About," which won the composer a Grammy and the artist a whole lotta new fans.

The Stones opened with Mick in a sparkling silver waistcoat for "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and another oldie, "It's Only Rock 'n Roll." Then the huge video screen behind the band went to black and white for "Oh No, Not You Again" from their new Bigger Bang album. A montage of old Stones videos played through "She Was Hot" from the ''80s album Undercover, then Raitt came back for a great duet with Mick on "Shine a Light" from Exile on Main Street. Nice keyboard work on this by Chuck Leavell.

Keith's first cigarette dangled from his mangled lips as his guitar licks led us to "Streets of Love," also from Bigger Bang. Dancing what might be described as the meth-mouth shuffle, Mick then displayed his handiness with a harmonica to open "Midnight Rambler," well backed by bassist Darryl Jones. But on that old concert favourite "Tumbling Dice," also from Exile, Mr. Jagger made his own musical journey away from the melody line.

Maybe that's because he was about to let Keith loose with the great grizzleface's own unique vocal skills. After introducing the band (a sign in the crowd begged Wood: Ronnie Be Good), Jagger turned things over to Richards and the crowd went nuts. Smoking fiercely, Keith waited patiently for the roar to die down, made a quick quip about brain damage from his climbing accident, then launched into a trilogy of his classics: "You Got the Silver" from Let It Bleed, "Slipping Away" from Voodoo Lounge and "Connection" from Gimme Shelter. By classics, I of course mean Richards' trademark rambling, badly off-key renderings that are just as much fun for him as us. As Ron Wood laid out the guitar riffs on "You Got the Silver" and Richards wrapped himself around his partner in a long black coat, it looked for all the world like a panhandler assaulting a busker on Granville Street.

Mick returned in a bright red baseball jacket for "Miss You," the switch to a head mike signalling that the band was heading out on its little trolley ride to the "B" stage. They travelled to "Miss You" and performed "Get Off Of My Cloud" (again with Mick choosing a whole new key) and "Start Me Up" on their mini-tour before returning to the mainstage with "Honky Tonk Woman." The infamous inflatable lips got only a brief workout here before being deflated; no such finish for Mick's big smackers as he launched into "Sympathy For the Devil."

To this point I was only whelmed by the set and its light show, which was sufficiently gigantic without dazzling me. But they got clever as Charlie Watts led off with a new beat to open the classic and Mick (sorry, Sir Mick) ascended to an upper platform in a feathery red jacket and hat. Here were the bells and whistles of any good arena rock event: enormous images in red of a snakeskin-meets-Rorschach pattern sure to freak out anyone on the wrong drugs. Gigantic gas jets shooting up, lighting and heating us instantly. Jagger playing it all over the stage and right out to the wings, then coming back to receive solid accompaniment from backup singers Lisa Fischer and Bernard Fowler.

We were pumped. "Paint It Black" -- awright! Then "Brown Sugar," with a wall of flames across the front of the stage, Mick going "yeah yeah yeah" and all of us right on cue for "Woo!"

More! Encore! Oh — it's "You Can't Always Get What You Want."
We take the hint and head out into the slushy streets. We got what we need.

Sun Theatre Critic
[email protected]
© Sun 2006
26th November 2006 01:40 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I think these are from the show

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
26th November 2006 01:45 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl

26th November 2006 02:23 PM
PartyDoll MEG Kind of sad it is all over for awhile, even thou the guys need a well-deserved rest!!

Oh, pray tell...what will we do for entertainment here on the RO Asylum?
26th November 2006 02:36 PM
32-20 Keith was the crowd favourite last night in Vancouver. He sang three
songs (first time?). You Got the Silver was vox only for Keith with Ron
playing a very tasteful slide guitar. Keith walked over and kissed him
on the cheek during the instrumental break. Slipping Away was
wonderful, Keith broke out a new custom Telecaster (semi-hollow?) with a
large seventh key on the headstock; couldn't see what this was about but
he played it beautifully. He also used this one for Shine A Light.
Keith then sang Connection which fell kind of flat after his first two
beauties.

When Keith was introduced he received a very loud, sustained ovation and
he seemed genuinely moved. In fact I am now pretty certain that this
was no mere showmanship on his part; he covered his face repeatedly and
soaked it up. There was real warmth in the stadium while the roar went
on and on. It was a "moment".

Streets of Love went over very well. Keith was on stage and on acoustic
with taste and class. He leaned over Ron's shoulder and told him "I
love you" at one point, no doubt in mockery of Mick's lyrics. Mick
worked it into overdrive at the end to put this one over.

Shine A Light was one of the highlights of the night, maybe of the
entire tour. The sound was brilliant and clear for one of the few times
all night. Ronnie was loud and inspired.

Ronnie played a wonderful solo on YCAGWYW, I was blown away. Better
than the Love You Live edition, very original and razor sharp. It will
stay in my memory. The sound conditions inside the dome suited Ronnie's
tendency to the treble frequencies and he made the most of it on this
and Shine A Light.

Mick was forcing the tempo all night, especially on YCAWGWYW where he
was miles ahead of Keith on the tempo almost to the point of
ridiculousness; Charlie slammed his kit twice during the opening verse
to hammer down the tempo and I think he was slamming Mick, not Keith who
played a sweet intro. Interesting to hear the push-pull at such times
and kind of funny to hear Charlie lay down the law. Mick was off-key
for a few numbers toward the end but in that huge cavern one could
hardly fault him for that.

Keith favoured a big white ES for the rockers, it was growling in the
lower registers all night. Ronnie had a rarely-seen Zemaitis silver-top
and surprisingly to these eyes, not one but two Gibson SG's which really
filled out his sound on She Was Hot and especially Brown Sugar; for that
one Ronnie's fills which much heavier and chunkier than usual.

The large stadium shows generally leave one with broad impressions
rather than musical moments and there were a great many to cherish from
last night. Especially interesting how Keith was the crowd favourite
and stalked the stage with a tremendous smile all night.
26th November 2006 03:15 PM
Gazza
quote:
tobis wrote:
Just got back home. Me and my 12 YO son had a great time.

Nice review. Some comments of my own... if anyone cares..

We do! Many thanks for sharing them with us.
26th November 2006 03:16 PM
Gazza
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
Kind of sad it is all over for awhile, even thou the guys need a well-deserved rest!!

Oh, pray tell...what will we do for entertainment here on the RO Asylum?

same as we always do. Fuck and fight!
26th November 2006 03:24 PM
StarvinMarvin
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Thanks everyone for the updates

Nice to see them play with Bonnie again.

Dont know what to make of that 3-song Keith set. Maybe just a nice gesture to him because of what hes been through this year, but strange that the show wasnt any longer because of it and Mick's set ends up being a song shorter as a result.

Well, they made it to the finish line. I'm sure theyre relieved they have some time off now. Bring on 2007. We're ready.

The answer to the "3 Keef song riddle" is easy: he received a nearly 3 minute standing ovation when he stepped up to the mic, and when he tried to speak, he got drowned out by the corwd and had to stop for another minute or so. He was simply re-paying the crowd for going completely crazy. It was just one of those moments - if you were there, you would have understood why he pulled out a third song for us.
26th November 2006 03:31 PM
StarvinMarvin I'm going to work on my review for the show over the next couple of hours, and then post it. I agree with some of what the other reviewer said, but not all of it. Personally, I think he/she was reading too much into the Mick/Keith thing, and his/her assertion that the b-stage section of the show was boring is flat out wrong. I could see the sweat on Mick's brow during that part of the show, I can can assure you that Get Off My Cloud, Start Me Up, and Miss You were NOT boring. Great performances, actually, and the crowd on that side of the stadium really got into it.
[Edited by StarvinMarvin]
26th November 2006 03:37 PM
Gazza
quote:
StarvinMarvin wrote:

The answer to the "3 Keef song riddle" is easy: he received a nearly 3 minute standing ovation when he stepped up to the mic, and when he tried to speak, he got drowned out by the corwd and had to stop for another minute or so. He was simply re-paying the crowd for going completely crazy. It was just one of those moments - if you were there, you would have understood why he pulled out a third song for us.

You think? I'd find it amazing personally that the Stones would add an extra song that wasnt on the setlist. They rarely do 'audibles' like that and in this day and age with the fact that all the timings and lighting have to be all worked out in advance, it seems very unlikely theyd just throw in an additinal song off the cuff like that. Did anyone see the setlist on Charlie's plexiglass?
26th November 2006 03:39 PM
fireontheplatter great great stuff
it was a wonderful year for me
i saw 3 shows and had a blast at every one
beers food good people
the were so fun
i hope they do it again in a couple of years time.

everybody should say owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
26th November 2006 03:50 PM
32-20
quote:
Gazza wrote:

You think? I'd find it amazing personally that the Stones would add an extra song that wasnt on the setlist. They rarely do 'audibles' like that and in this day and age with the fact that all the timings and lighting have to be all worked out in advance, it seems very unlikely theyd just throw in an additinal song off the cuff like that. Did anyone see the setlist on Charlie's plexiglass?

This was not an ad lib, three Keith songs were in the works from the first. The tremendously warm ovation for Keith was serendipitous.
26th November 2006 04:08 PM
StarvinMarvin
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I don't know - maybe it was planned from the start, maybe it was off-the-cuff. Regardless, the ovation was really special though. It will undoubtedly be my #1 memory from the show. Keith's reaction to the applause was great too. He didn't even know what to so, but you could tell that he was touched by it.
26th November 2006 04:42 PM
StarvinMarvin
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

tough to rank them, as they were all special - but the forum gig would have to come out on top, and in addition to the beacon gigs, and myabe one of the msg shows, i believe the forum gig was one of the finest of the tour. the hollywood bowl gigs come in a very close second and third. then dodger stadium, then anaheim (which was mrs macdaddy's favorite of the bunch), then san diego (which while last on my list, was still a very solid show)...

Don't forget about last night's show either. End-of-the-tour shows are usually special, and most bands kick it up a notch, and the Vancouver show was no exception. I have no doubt that last night was one of the best gigs on the tour.
26th November 2006 05:07 PM
GotToRollMe Mick and Bonnie on the big screen last night, thanks to Gentle Ben from Shidoobee:

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
26th November 2006 06:50 PM
LadyJane Thanks Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie.
No Band will ever come close to The Rolling Stones. EVER.

You came back and gave us more great shows and more precious memories.

Please take some time for yourselves and your families.
Get some well deserved rest.

"Til the next time we say goodbye.............

LJ.
26th November 2006 07:26 PM
StarvinMarvin Hey everyone, I just posted my review of the Vancouver show on my website:

here's the link:

http://www.iansmusicreviews.com/index/updates.htm

Feel free to browse the rest of the site too. I've reviewed all of the Stones albums, as well as a bunch of other rock artists. I post reader comments, so you can send me any comments (positive or negative) that you have by clicking on Contact Me at the top/bottom of each page.
26th November 2006 10:10 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
32-20 wrote:
Keith was the crowd favourite last night in Vancouver. He sang three
songs (first time?). You Got the Silver was vox only for Keith with Ron
playing a very tasteful slide guitar. Keith walked over and kissed him
on the cheek during the instrumental break. Slipping Away was
wonderful, Keith broke out a new custom Telecaster (semi-hollow?) with a
large seventh key on the headstock; couldn't see what this was about but
he played it beautifully. He also used this one for Shine A Light.
Keith then sang Connection which fell kind of flat after his first two
beauties.

When Keith was introduced he received a very loud, sustained ovation and
he seemed genuinely moved. In fact I am now pretty certain that this
was no mere showmanship on his part; he covered his face repeatedly and
soaked it up. There was real warmth in the stadium while the roar went
on and on. It was a "moment".

Streets of Love went over very well. Keith was on stage and on acoustic
with taste and class. He leaned over Ron's shoulder and told him "I
love you" at one point, no doubt in mockery of Mick's lyrics. Mick
worked it into overdrive at the end to put this one over.

Shine A Light was one of the highlights of the night, maybe of the
entire tour. The sound was brilliant and clear for one of the few times
all night. Ronnie was loud and inspired.

Ronnie played a wonderful solo on YCAGWYW, I was blown away. Better
than the Love You Live edition, very original and razor sharp. It will
stay in my memory. The sound conditions inside the dome suited Ronnie's
tendency to the treble frequencies and he made the most of it on this
and Shine A Light.

Mick was forcing the tempo all night, especially on YCAWGWYW where he
was miles ahead of Keith on the tempo almost to the point of
ridiculousness; Charlie slammed his kit twice during the opening verse
to hammer down the tempo and I think he was slamming Mick, not Keith who
played a sweet intro. Interesting to hear the push-pull at such times
and kind of funny to hear Charlie lay down the law. Mick was off-key
for a few numbers toward the end but in that huge cavern one could
hardly fault him for that.

Keith favoured a big white ES for the rockers, it was growling in the
lower registers all night. Ronnie had a rarely-seen Zemaitis silver-top
and surprisingly to these eyes, not one but two Gibson SG's which really
filled out his sound on She Was Hot and especially Brown Sugar; for that
one Ronnie's fills which much heavier and chunkier than usual.

The large stadium shows generally leave one with broad impressions
rather than musical moments and there were a great many to cherish from
last night. Especially interesting how Keith was the crowd favourite
and stalked the stage with a tremendous smile all night.

Nicely done! I appreciate the insights into the guitars.

And I agree, Charlie will at times keep the pace in check - Mick is prone to rushing things at times - though so too is Keith, but Chaz don't seem to step on Keith's pace.

I was told earlier this week that Keith has been looking much better of late - glad to hear it, as there was a spell where he was looking downright feeble.

And I still am hearing news of a new album to coincide with the film - just hoping its not simply another live album as that has been played to fucking death.

Thanks again for the review - top notch!
27th November 2006 03:24 AM
prism I wish I could have been there. I had requested Shine A Light, but then I couldn't make it to the last two shows of the tour. Maybe that's why Keith did Slipping Away, which he wrote when I knew him in New York. My nickname is "Touch" as in "losing my..."
27th November 2006 03:55 AM
Jeep Photos The Province :

27th November 2006 04:33 AM
Jeep A short vidéo (poor quality) from yesterday night CTV Vancouver TV News, click the pix :

27th November 2006 04:41 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Jeep wrote:

That's Superblow material baby
27th November 2006 05:36 AM
corgi37 I just cant believe its over. What a great ride its been this past year and a half. That last pic of Keith is a beauty. I wish there was a shot of the final bow. Does anyone remember the shot of Keith from the last LICKS show? Looked like he was gonna bawl his eyes out.

I hope they now quit on a high. These long tours are stupid. Unless the next one has a minimum of 3 day breaks instead of the usual two.

Then the next damn tour will go on for 3 years!

27th November 2006 09:53 AM
glencar I'm glad they're taking an extended break. Old men need their vacation time! Let's hope they go somewhere warm but also nice.
27th November 2006 09:57 AM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Old men need their vacation time! Let's hope they go somewhere warm .

Dudes are cold?
27th November 2006 10:06 AM
glencar Baby, it's cold up here! Winter is nigh.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)