ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Merry Christmas everyone!
Thanks Irina!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: It's Official...Great News. Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
December 9th, 2004 03:28 PM
justinkurian

The Rolling Stones recently concluded recording sessions for a new album in Paris with producer Don Was. The band will reconvene in the New Year for additional sessions for an album tentatively due in summer 2005, Was tells Billboard.com.

Was describes the Stones' new music as considerably different from their recent releases. "Mick [Jagger] and Keith [Richards] are writing songs together in a collaborative fashion that probably hasn't been seen since the late '60s," he says. "I would say that longtime fans of the Rolling Stones will be thrilled with these results, and new fans will understand why they're the greatest rock'n'roll band in the world."

Was recalls sessions in which Jagger and Richards composed spontaneously, sometimes with Richards playing bass and Jagger on drums. "He's a great drummer," Was confides. "He's also playing a lot of guitar, and he's a really good guitar player. He's been playing bass on some things, [and] Keith is playing bass on some things. They're just great -- there's a reason that they've been the Rolling Stones for so long.

"And they can do it four times a day, every day," Was says of the pair's writing sessions, "and they're really good songs. I've never seen anything like it."

Drummer Charlie Watts, who was recently treated for throat cancer, also attended the Paris sessions and is in excellent health, Was says. "And he's playing like a lion," he adds.

In 2002, the Stones recorded at Studios Guillaume Tell, also in Paris, with Was and engineer Ed Cherney. Four of the songs recorded there are featured on the 2-disc "40 Licks" compilation released in 2002. Additional material recorded at those sessions may appear on the Stones' next album, says Was, "but this all seems to be of a piece so far, and is substantially different than anything I've worked on with them. It's really collaborative.

"It's not done," Was adds. "We can still f*** it up a thousand different ways, you know? But what I'm hearing now is very much in the great Stones tradition."

Was has been active throughout 2004, producing the Stones' two-disc "Live Licks" set released last month, as well as upcoming albums by Solomon Burke, Jessie Coulter and Kris Kristofferson, the latter recorded specifically for release in a surround-sound format.

Meanwhile Don has regrouped with David Was to lead their R&B project Was (Not Was) through a 12-city tour launching Dec. 27 at House of Blues in Anaheim, Calif. The tour will mark the first performance of the group in 13 years.
December 9th, 2004 03:29 PM
glencar I'd like to have some Paree 2002 songs & some new stuff on the CD so we can see what the difference is.
[Edited by glencar]
December 9th, 2004 03:33 PM
justinkurian I think everyone is too interested in Sir Stonesalot's polls...
December 9th, 2004 03:35 PM
glencar Just another gig. Enjoy it for what it is. You don't want to end up like one of those dullards who critique other posters' writings. Life's just a cocktail party...
December 9th, 2004 03:36 PM
Phog Well, this certainly sounds encouraging. Great news.
December 9th, 2004 03:39 PM
J.J.Flash Where did you find this news Justin?!? Sounds exciting......
December 9th, 2004 03:41 PM
glencar billboard.com
December 9th, 2004 03:43 PM
nankerphelge I have officially sported wood!
December 9th, 2004 03:46 PM
Joey
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
I have officially sported wood!

I am so excited that I am typing this with my nipples .

December 9th, 2004 03:46 PM
glencar Me so horny!

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000735012
December 9th, 2004 03:51 PM
Joey

" The Rolling Stones recently concluded recording sessions for a new album in Paris with producer Don Was. The band will reconvene in the New Year for additional sessions for an album tentatively due in summer 2005, Was tells Billboard.com.

Was describes the Stones' new music as considerably different from their recent releases. "Mick [Jagger] and Keith [Richards] are writing songs together in a collaborative fashion that probably hasn't been seen since the late '60s," he says. "I would say that longtime fans of the Rolling Stones will be thrilled with these results, and new fans will understand why they're the greatest rock'n'roll band in the world."

YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am literally beyond thrilled ...............Hell , I'm :

*************** END TRANSMISSION ****************
December 9th, 2004 03:53 PM
glencar For once, I know EXACTLY what you mean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
December 9th, 2004 03:54 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Ho Hum. This isn't telling me anything that I didn't already know....apart from a few particulars that nobody could know. So the Rolling Stones prove themselves ONCE AGAIN to be the best band ever...JUST ANOTHER DAY AT THE FUCKING OFFICE.
December 9th, 2004 04:00 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
justinkurian wrote:

The Rolling Stones recently concluded recording sessions for a new album in Paris with producer Don Was. The band will reconvene in the New Year for additional sessions for an album tentatively due in summer 2005, Was tells Billboard.com.

Yeeeeeeeeaaaaah! It's official! I like the sound of this!

quote:

"And they can do it four times a day, every day," Was says of the pair's writing sessions, "and they're really good songs. I've never seen anything like it."

Maybe he's just being loyal, justifying what the Stones pay him, but Was does sound enthusiastic. Of course it must be an awesome experience just being there. Imagine you're in a room with Mick and Keith, fly-on-the-wall, and new Stones' music emerging from their fingers like a fountain...

But the best part is:
quote:
Drummer Charlie Watts, who was recently treated for throat cancer, also attended the Paris sessions and is in excellent health, Was says. "And he's playing like a lion," he adds.

[Edited by Monkey Woman]
December 9th, 2004 04:08 PM
Riffhard That is great f'ing news! It sounds like the Stones have taken a tip from Dylan and really started to consentrate on the writing of some great tunes. Judging by the hard on that Don Was seems to have about the sessions it sounds like we could be in for another Some Girls. In as much as the critics had written the Stones off prior to that album landing and shuting them all up. That is what the boys need desperatly. Can you imagine the Stones touring behind a #1 album after all these years?!

Keeping my fingers crossed that this isn't just hype and we get a classic Stones album again!!

Riffhard
December 9th, 2004 04:17 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Keeping my fingers crossed that this isn't just hype and we get a classic Stones album again!!

Hype? How could the Stones create a "bad" studio album? That's a theoretical impossibility.

December 9th, 2004 04:18 PM
LadyJane Call me naive, but I've had a feeling for a long time that they had it in them to put out something great....I still believe Charlie's illness was a wake up call to the Glimmer Twins.

Charlie is "playing like a lion." Bless ya, Mr. Watts.

LJ.
December 9th, 2004 04:20 PM
gimmekeef Merry Christmas and Happy Hannaka to us all!!!!!!!!!!!!
December 9th, 2004 04:25 PM
nankerphelge "How could the Stones create a "bad" studio album? That's a theoretical impossibility."

Dirty Work
December 9th, 2004 04:27 PM
gypsy
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
"How could the Stones create a "bad" studio album? That's a theoretical impossibility."

Dirty Work

nanky, get off this thread and vote in SS's polls, or P Diddy will send 50 Cent over to bust a cap in yo' ass!
December 9th, 2004 04:31 PM
gimmekeef So one can only wonder when these new tunes might show up on the web....Perhaps the glimmers will have tighter security than U2 and others lately...
December 9th, 2004 04:36 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Hype? How could the Stones create a "bad" studio album? That's a theoretical impossibility.

Don't get me wrong here TTM. I don't think that the Stones have ever put a "bad" album,with the possible exception of Thier Santanic Majesties Request and Dirty Work. However,even those two had flashes of brilliance,but I mean I hope we get another album that is classic, ala Some Girls,or,dare to dream Exile!

Hey it could happen! Look at Dylan's Time Out of Mind. Nobody thought he had it in him to write such a great peice of work. Then he followed it up with an equaly strong disk Love and Theft.

All I know is that Don Was said something that I thought I'd never hear again. He said that Mick and Keith are writing together again! Shit when was the last time that happened?! That's right! 1978 Some Girls!

I'm likeing what I'm hearing Ronnie!

Riffhard
December 9th, 2004 04:45 PM
gypsy
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Call me naive, but I've had a feeling for a long time that they had it in them to put out something great....I still believe Charlie's illness was a wake up call to the Glimmer Twins.

Charlie is "playing like a lion." Bless ya, Mr. Watts.

LJ.

The RO GATHERING is ON!! And we shall all play like lions!
December 9th, 2004 04:46 PM
Snappy McJack Great news, bitch!
December 9th, 2004 04:48 PM
LadyJane
quote:
gypsy wrote:

The RO GATHERING is ON!! And we shall all play like lions!

Why are visions of Sodom and Gommorah filling my head?

LJ.
December 9th, 2004 04:53 PM
gypsy
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

LJ.

Why is this vision of joey and josh running toward each other in slow motion to embrace, with the song "At Last" playing softly in the background, filling MY head?
December 9th, 2004 04:59 PM
Joey
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

LJ.

Is that a famous play ?!?!
December 9th, 2004 05:01 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

LJ.

You tell me. I dunno. Sodomy isn't my cup of cum but if that's what turns ya on.... go for it!
December 9th, 2004 05:01 PM
gypsy
quote:
Joey wrote:

Is that a famous play ?!?!

Yes, joey. Take "Cafe Hostess Jill" to see it. Thank me later.
December 9th, 2004 05:24 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

Don't get me wrong here TTM. I don't think that the Stones have ever put a "bad" album,with the possible exception of Thier Satanic Majesties Request and Dirty Work. However,even those two had flashes of brilliance,but I mean I hope we get another album that is classic, ala Some Girls,or,dare to dream Exile!

Hey it could happen! Look at Dylan's Time Out of Mind. Nobody thought he had it in him to write such a great peice of work. Then he followed it up with an equaly strong disk Love and Theft.

You just gotta believe I guess. We ain't getting younger ya know. Things don't really change much over the years and centuries though. You know that worn out old qoute "as it was in the beginning...." So here we are! Never under-estimate the Rolling Stones.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood