ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Merry Christmas everyone!
Thanks Irina!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: It's Official...Great News. Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
December 9th, 2004 05:25 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

You just gotta believe I guess. We ain't getting younger ya know. Things don't really change much over the years and centuries though. You know that worn out old qoute "as it was in the beginning...." So here we are! Never under-estimate the Rolling Stones.

This is great news, ain't it TTM?
December 9th, 2004 05:27 PM
glencar Any guesses on the title? Blessed Poison?
December 9th, 2004 05:29 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
glencar wrote:
Any guesses on the title? Blessed Poison?

"Stank Ass"?

December 9th, 2004 05:31 PM
Mel Belli I'm just excited that Was (Not Was) is getting back together!
December 9th, 2004 06:04 PM
Madafaka Excellent news!
December 9th, 2004 06:43 PM
Gazza Great stuff - thanks for posting, Justin

I'll defer unbridled excitement on the "greatest stuff theyve done in decades"-style hype until I hear it, because they DO say this about every album ("Dirty Work" was described in advance by some people in the know as "the best album they've ever done") and its far too early to indicate how its going to actually turn out

But, in the meantime :

December 9th, 2004 07:49 PM
Bob Tamp So true Gazza.
Initially I got a Woody reading the post, but then reality sunk in. Every release is supposed to be "great" according to the hype. The bottom line is that we will not know until it comes out.
BUT IT IS GOOD NEWS, AND I THINK THE BOYS STILL HAVE IT IN THEM TO DO IT IF THEY REALLY WANT TO.
December 9th, 2004 08:13 PM
Gimme Shelter I'm hyped!!!!
December 9th, 2004 08:19 PM
Riffhard The three lines that stick out to me are,"Was describes the Stones' new music as considerably different from their recent releases","Mick and Keith are writing songs together in a collaborative fashion that probably hasn't been seen since the late '60s",and "I would say that long time fans of the Rolling Stones will be thrilled with these results."

I'm just reading between the lines here,but that sounds like we're looking at a throwback album with a classic Stones' feel. That can only be looked upon as a great thing. You are right Gazza that every Stones release is fawned upon in the months leading up to it's release. Often time the hype dosen't live up to the end results,but this time Mick and Keith are seemingly once again locked in the kitchen with each other. That can only be a good thing. In other words there won't be any Saint of Me type tracks where Keith will bow out because he refuses to work with the "Shit Brothers".

I'm hopeful,but more importantly I'm stoked to finally hear something official from the producer.

Patience is a bitch!

Riffhard
December 9th, 2004 08:22 PM
CraigP Fuck yeah people! I'm being optimistic. This COULD be the best Stones album since Some Girls. I'm being optimistic here like you all should be!
Maybe the Stones have put the towel in in trying to master the "pop" sound and have gone back to their roots and found what us fans and themselves really dig! No bullshit, "Balls to the wall" dirty rock.
December 9th, 2004 08:25 PM
parmeda YIPPEEYAMUTHAFUCKINHOO!!!
It's about time, dammit...

There, I feel much better now
December 9th, 2004 08:35 PM
Some Guy Giddy as a schoolgirl!
December 9th, 2004 08:45 PM
Soldatti The album will be very strong IMO, I can see many fast numbers on this album. They wrote 40 songs so the album can be double or a single disk with 15-16 tunes plus many b-sides singles.
The best news of the year.
December 9th, 2004 08:58 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
"Mick and Keith are writing songs together in a collaborative fashion that probably hasn't been seen since the late '60s"...

Mick, to Kurt Loder, 1989, speaking of the process of writing "Steel Wheels": "We hadn't done it that way probably since the '60s."

Keith, 1997: "'Voodoo Lounge' was 10 times better than 'Steel Wheels,' but we were just marking time. With['Bridges to Babylon'] we're pushing boundaries again."

Keith 2002: "...the best Stones yet."
December 9th, 2004 09:18 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Mick, to Kurt Loder, 1989, speaking of the process of writing "Steel Wheels": "We hadn't done it that way probably since the '60s."

Keith, 1997: "'Voodoo Lounge' was 10 times better than 'Steel Wheels,' but we were just marking time. With['Bridges to Babylon'] we're pushing boundaries again."

Keith 2005: this is our best album ever, Exile is as Dirty Work in comparison...
December 9th, 2004 09:32 PM
Mel Belli Ah, don't forget, Soldatti. Keith told Penthouse that "Dirty Work," though "fragmented," was one of his favorite Stones albums.
December 9th, 2004 10:28 PM
West 8 This news makes me feel good. I feel better than James Brown.
December 9th, 2004 10:35 PM
Bloozehound so are they really jammin' in the garage, or what's the deal?
December 10th, 2004 12:28 AM
Poplar
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Ah, don't forget, Soldatti. Keith told Penthouse that "Dirty Work," though "fragmented," was one of his favorite Stones albums.

yikes.

J'ai besoin d'un amour pour me garder heureux.
[Edited by Poplar]
December 10th, 2004 01:54 AM
IanBillen
Wow Great news indeed. I think a few of us were concerned about the work ethics going on. Don Was says they are collaborating much more on this than before. That is what they need. Gazza commented that they would reunite after the new year and it seems like a go. Was mentions there is stuff that is different material than what you might expect from them but it is still in the great Stones tradition. Sounds interesting.
Ian
December 10th, 2004 02:43 AM
FotiniD This IS good news guys. Remember, just one day ago we were all wondering and wondering and waiting for some sort of confirmation or official news. So put on a great smile and stop being the whizz-kid that doesn't believe in Santa Claus

We won't know whether Don's statements are overrated or not until we get to hear the album - and he even admitted it himself they might mess around with the final result! But let's just wait and see!

As Riffhard said, to me the best news is that Keith and Mick are actually working TOGETHER and of course the fact that our Charlie is top form again.

Let's party It's great news!
(And it kind of reminds me of a Jacko tune... "I always feel like somebody's watching me..." They have eyes and ears everywhere... They read what we write... Oh wait, perhaps this is a persecution mania... Oh whatever )
December 10th, 2004 02:51 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

No wonder. They are all his babies. Each and every one of them are his favorite!
December 10th, 2004 02:56 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
so are they really jammin' in the garage, or what's the deal?

Say rather, in the home studio that Mick had installed in an outside building that once was a garage at his french mansion. But the important part of course is that they are working together at last!
December 10th, 2004 07:20 AM
LadyJane I recall a thread in the Summer with pics of Mick's place and a map...anyone remember???

Hey...I may win the Lottery and well, ya know, charter a flight to check this out for myself and the RO Chick Clique.

LJ.
December 10th, 2004 07:23 AM
Gazza yeah but that was at La Fourchette - in the Loire valley.

Its not near Paris, which is where Don Was says they were recording
December 10th, 2004 07:29 AM
LadyJane Guess you can't have too many mansions in France.

LJ.
December 10th, 2004 09:53 AM
rocker The key to this album, is that it not get "slicked up" in the final production.; you know that time when the music's been recorded and Jagger is sitting behind the board screwing with the song, or when he goes back in to resing his vocals. in the infiancy stages i dont think theres ever been a bad stones record (for example, listen to mixed emotions before it got "slicked up," it really rocked hard.

Heres hoping that doesnt happen. another key is not putting too many songs on it; pick the 8-10 songs and go with that. also dont fall inot the variety trap, put what the boys do best on it- rock n roll
December 10th, 2004 10:03 AM
FotiniD
quote:
rocker wrote:
The key to this album, is that it not get "slicked up" in the final production.; you know that time when the music's been recorded and Jagger is sitting behind the board screwing with the song, or when he goes back in to resing his vocals. in the infiancy stages i dont think theres ever been a bad stones record (for example, listen to mixed emotions before it got "slicked up," it really rocked hard.

Heres hoping that doesnt happen. another key is not putting too many songs on it; pick the 8-10 songs and go with that. also dont fall inot the variety trap, put what the boys do best on it- rock n roll

I wish we could send them a list of suggestions
December 10th, 2004 01:41 PM
Jair I'd love to see Mick playing drums. Well, they could really use some thing...
December 10th, 2004 01:48 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Snappy McJack wrote:
This is great news, ain't it TTM?

Yes it is. Rock till ya drop boys.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood