ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones book club, anyone? Return to archive Page: 1 2
12-10-03 03:45 PM
Pattie
haha, yeah...but one of his latest song is about a "green mountain" so he's getting there
I know Dylan's first (!) wife read a lot of poetry about the goddess and esoteric stuff....
12-10-03 03:48 PM
glencar He dumped her so long ago. Is she still bitter?
12-10-03 04:19 PM
Pattie
I don't think so, she was very reclusive and a special lady. She's been seen at some of his shows, and I guess she stills sees him from time to time. I mean they had 4 kids together. I've always liked her even though I don't know her...go figure
12-10-03 04:20 PM
glencar I was just kidding. they've been busted up for 20 years+.
12-10-03 09:49 PM
stonedinaustralia I concur with the others re Master & Margarita � a great piece of work

Other books I�ve read on the recommendation of or in connection with the stones in particular keith:

Lenny Bruce�s books in particular � �How to Talk Dirty and Influence People� � as some may recall I noticed tthat the line from �Little T&A� � �the pool�s in but the patio aint dry� is a direct quote from a Lenny Bruce routine

�The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire� � one I�ve started but not finished � now I just pick it up at random �it�s so long

�Reach for the Sky� � biography of Sir Douglas Bader (Fighter pilot who lost both legs in plane accidents and kept on flying � one of Keith�s own heroes)

A.Crowley�s �Diary of a Drug Fiend� (At least I think that�s the title � it�s over 20 years since I read it)

And also this short story the name of which I can�t recall � it may be an E.A.Poe � about this guy who becomes �withdrawn� and reclusive as a result of too much �white powder� � anyway, one day the guy who lives down stairs from him notices this black stuff dripping through the ceiling into his room from the room above � they investigate to find that the �recluse� had turned into a big pool of black ooze

and I�d already read quite a deal on the history of WWII � particularly the European theatre � �The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich� is required reading in this field

Also, after I heard Keith was in a movie based on the book, I eventually located a copy of James M.Cain�s �Past All Dishonour�
12-10-03 11:08 PM
BILL PERKS FAITHFULL IS A GREAT BOOK
HERE'S SOME GOOD READS
NO IRISH,NO DOGS,NO BLACKS-JOHNNY ROTTEN
SHOT IN THE HEART-MIKAL GILMORE
MOON-TONY FLETCHER
DRINKING:A LOVE STORY-CAROLINE KNAPP
CRAZY FROM THE HEAT-DAVID LEE ROTH
ANGELAS ASHES AND TIS-FRANK MCCOURT
DISPATCHES-MICHAEL HERR
I ONLY READ NON FICTION-TRUTH IS STANGER THAN FICTION
12-11-03 06:29 AM
glencar Crazy From The Heat is non-fiction? Really??? I mean, really????
12-11-03 12:08 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

And also this short story the name of which I can�t recall � it may be an E.A.Poe � about this guy who becomes �withdrawn� and reclusive as a result of too much �white powder� � anyway, one day the guy who lives down stairs from him notices this black stuff dripping through the ceiling into his room from the room above � they investigate to find that the �recluse� had turned into a big pool of black ooze

There's a Poe story called "The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar" that has a similar denoument, SIA, but the cause is hypnotism. Perhaps you are thinking of "Cool Air" by HP Lovecraft, which was a riff on the Valdemar story0? I think that has most of the elements you describe, but it's been a while!

"The Red Death held illimitable dominion over all, Ronnie!"

12-11-03 12:39 PM
caro Did anyone here read Burrough's Naked Lunch?
Actually, it's more a Marianne-book (she mentions it all the time in her autobio), but I suppose Mick and Keith must have read it too.
It's a strange book : the chapters don't follow each other chronologically, it's more like several layers of the same kind of situation...Plenty of sex and drugs, and some funny quotes.
I didn't like it that much, but I suppose that's partly because plenty of writers or film directors have since then ripped off the most impressive scenes or quotes.
12-11-03 12:44 PM
Nasty Habits Naked Lunch is important and iconic, but the Soft Machine is a much better book.
12-11-03 04:48 PM
Joey " Naked Lunch is important and iconic "

See " Steely Dan "

" A group named after a character in a book that references a woman's sexual aid Ronnie -- Go Figure ! "

Jacky Becker !

12-11-03 04:54 PM
gypsy I liked Burroughs' "Junky." I started reading "Naked Lunch," but got bored with it...will read it again soon. I just finished both of Jan Kerouac's autobiographies. They were great. I just started on Carolyn Cassady's "Off the Road"--so far, so good.
12-11-03 05:05 PM
Joey
I recently finished Robert Caro's " Master of the Senate " , which won the Pulitizer Prize by the way .................................

What ?!?!?! Oh , sure !!!!! OK !!!!!! :

http://www.robertcaro.com/senate.htm

Jacky J.
12-14-03 01:09 PM
Pattie
Everyone's talking about "the Da Vinci code"
12-14-03 01:11 PM
glencar Not in a positive way, I'm sure. The reviews for DaVinci have been scathing.
12-14-03 01:24 PM
Pattie
I don't know if I wanna read it. It seems a bit I don't know ....fuzzy?
12-14-03 07:07 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

Perhaps you are thinking of "Cool Air" by HP Lovecraft, which was a riff on the Valdemar story0? I think that has most of the elements you describe, but it's been a while!

nasty, i checked out the i'view with keith where i read about this story - it's by Arthur Machen - entitled "The White Powder"

btw/ another book with a stones connection is Dickens "Our Mutual Friend" featuring the character of Macawber better known around here as one of keith's telecasters
12-15-03 07:39 AM
Pattie
bump
Page: 1 2