ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones book club, anyone? Return to archive Page: 1 2
12-09-03 08:22 AM
Monkey Woman In the Commnunity section of RS.com, there's a Mick video where he talks about what he's been reading.
http://www.rollingstones.com/members/community/xchange/theywant.php

Here's the link to the video:
http://ac1.arcostream.com/ultrastar/members/video/2002lickstour/WhatBooksAreYouReading/Mick110903_high.asf

And there's a board for members of the fan club to post their favorite books. Someone suggested to start a Mick's Book Club "to counterbalance Oprah's". Seems like a neat idea, and even better if we expand it to a Stones Book Club. Keith is a book worm too! Are there others here who read a book because it was something that a Stones was interested in? I admit I read recently a book about Captain Cook that Mick had talked about in an interview last year. It was really interesting stuff! I also read Richard Harris's Enigma because of the film too.
12-09-03 10:36 AM
glencar I bought "The Murder Room" by PD James when I was in London for the Twickenham show. Very complex? Nah, just a standard "locked room" mystery. But still enjoyable. I had read "Enigma" many years before the movie & was quite pleased with the adaptation. Right now I'm reading "You Shall Know Us By Our Velocity" by Dave Eggers. An updated Kerouac, I'm told, it's quite interesting.
12-09-03 10:57 AM
SHINE A LIGHT those were mick's words...."very complex, not a beach book". yes, "Enigma" was an enjoyable read indeed!
right now, i've got three on the go at the same time (please don't take that literally!!) there's the foolish "Satisfaction" by sandford, also the mark paytress book which is very good, and "Walden and other Writings" by Henry David Thoreau.
12-09-03 11:15 AM
Nasty Habits As far as the all time Mick Jagger book reccomendation goes, who here has read Mikhail Bulgakov's The Master & Margarita?
12-09-03 11:17 AM
glencar Not me but one day I'll take it on.
12-09-03 11:18 AM
luxury1 or how about when he was with Marianne F, --they got into the writings of the Marquis de Sade. That stuff is really out there. I can only read snippets at one sitting. But oh-so-sexual!
12-09-03 11:19 AM
SHINE A LIGHT not me, but perhaps i'll take a look at it. my problem seems to be that i hate all the so-called "mick books". i really cannot explain why!!
12-09-03 11:24 AM
glencar Anyone read "Faithfull" by Marianne?
12-09-03 11:25 AM
Pattie
I've read the master &margarita, it's one of the best books I've ever read.
12-09-03 11:27 AM
glencar That sounds like a good recommendation, Pattie!
12-09-03 11:29 AM
Pattie
it's an incredible book, since then I've read almost everything by Bulgakov, but in my opinion the master&margarita is his best work!
12-09-03 11:29 AM
caro
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
As far as the all time Mick Jagger book reccomendation goes, who here has read Mikhail Bulgakov's The Master & Margarita?

aaah....
That's one of my 4 or 5 favorite books of all time.
I managed to make at least 6 people read it. Two of them will never follow any of my recommendations anymore. But I think that's an acceptable rate.
Did you read Goethe's "Faust" too, Nasty? It's really funny to see how it interacts with Bulgakov's book.
12-09-03 11:32 AM
Pattie
I love Goethe's Faust too, but it's a bit more tidious and more serious
12-09-03 11:35 AM
SHINE A LIGHT i also love goethe. "faust" is brilliant...so i'll take the recommendation and look for this new one...new to me.
12-09-03 11:44 AM
caro
quote:
Pattie wrote:

I love Goethe's Faust too, but it's a bit more tidious and more serious

Yeah, agreed. On the other hand, there's plenty of funny little quotes along the way (or bizarre enough to make it funny).
Actually, reading Master and Margarita made me rediscover Faust. Since then, I seem to find plenty of funny details that were probably absolutely not in Goethe's plans.

Marianne's autobio I liked too, although she's sometimes very inclined to making things appear far more romantic than they actually were (that's just my opinion, of course)
12-09-03 11:47 AM
Nasty Habits Me, too, Pattie & Caro -- I think it is one of the most interesting novels of the fantastic composed in the 20th Century, with great social commentary, cool speculative religious time travelling alternate universe mind games, and that unbelievable dead man's ball. . . I read it and then found out that Mick had written "Sympathy for the Devil" because of it, which deepened my appreciation for the book all the more.

I read Goethe's Faust and found many parts of it very amusing and droll, and not at all the heavy handed moralizing I was told to expect. I didn't love it as much as I did The Master and Margarita (or Marlowe's Dr. Faustus), though.

The great thing about M & M is that, even though it's 1920s Russian literature, it reads like a very modern and literate horror novel.
12-09-03 02:41 PM
SHINE A LIGHT thanks to nasty habits, you've just done a lecture prep. for me.
12-09-03 06:23 PM
Nasty Habits LOL, Shine a Light! It was either run a record store, be a librarian, or be an English Prof!

12-09-03 06:32 PM
SHINE A LIGHT something like that... more along the lines of....do nothing but LISTEN to music,BECOME a musician or get a great education (keeping my parents happy). i went for the latter and fell in love with both english and french literature.

oh yeah, and a deep love for music. and all worked very well!
12-10-03 12:27 PM
Monkey Woman Rolling Stone magazine once asked the individual Stones: "Which Book Have You Read Twice?"

Here's their answers:

Ronnie Wood: Silence of the Lambs. I like evil books.

Mick Jagger: Travels With My Aunt, by Graham Greene, comes to mind instantly. I've read quite a lot of Graham Greene twice. He's a very good prose stylist.

Charlie Watts: I've just been through all the Wodehouse books: Jeeves and Wooster. I think he's very funny.

Keith Richards: Loads of them. I never catch it all the first time. There's an excellent book I've quite often read called Hashish, by a couple of French guys. Very interesting. It's an education in chemistry and folklore. I've done the Bible and the Koran a few times. Sometimes just for the prose, sometimes for information. The Kamasutra I've been through a few times, come to think of it. [Laughs] I've done the chandelier, and the revolving table with the melon. I've done it all, mate.

Great choices! Especially Keith's ! But I enjoy very much Graham Greene, P.G.Wodehouse and Thomas Harris too.

BTW, this intw is a very good read itself. Here's the link:
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/newsarticle.asp?nid=16735
12-10-03 12:45 PM
Pattie
urgh, Keith is such a showoff!!

Ronnie likes evil books? that was cool, I never thought of him as a horror buff.
12-10-03 01:01 PM
Monkey Woman Keith is a performer through and through.
12-10-03 01:53 PM
Pattie
yeah, I wish he would've spared us his detailed kama sutra positions experience though, lol!! man, a simple "I like steinbeck" would've done nicely
12-10-03 02:11 PM
glencar The true test is: Does Ronnie like "Hannibal"? That's the "Silence" sequel. I didn't bother reading the novel but the movie was horrid.
12-10-03 03:20 PM
Pattie
let's post some more book tips!!
I'm reading D. H Lawrence, kinda boring book actually, called "the plumed serpant"
12-10-03 03:22 PM
glencar I might have posted this earlier but who cares? I'm read Dave Eggers' "You Shall Know Our Velocity" which is a real head trip. Next, I'll read either "Hell To Pay" by Barbara Olson or "Last Car To Elysian Fields" by James Lee Burke.
12-10-03 03:29 PM
Pattie
What do you think Dylan reads...?
12-10-03 03:34 PM
glencar That R. Crumb stuff. And apparently that Japanese writer that he ripped off!
12-10-03 03:36 PM
Pattie
lol!!! yeah right the japanese guy. Didn't he write mostly about gardens?
12-10-03 03:41 PM
glencar Nah, cause the last Dylan album would have been gardening tips!
Page: 1 2