ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Storm Thorgerson
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jagger arrives at Palace!! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
12-12-03 06:53 AM
Zeeta Stones singer to become Sir Mick

Jagger wore a leather jacket and black suit to the palace
Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger has arrived at Buckingham Palace to receive his knighthood from Prince Charles.
The prince is standing in for the Queen, who is having surgery to remove a torn cartilage removed from her knee.

Sir Mick, 60, a rock legend for the last 40 years, arrived at the palace in a black suit and leather jacket, rather than the more formal top hat and tails.

His bandmate Keith Richards recently criticised his "ludicrous" decision to accept a "paltry honour".

The guitarist said he did not want to go on stage with someone wearing a "coronet and sporting the old ermine", adding: "It's not what the Stones is about, is it?"

Keith Richards (right) told Jagger it was a "paltry" honour
Prime Minister Tony Blair - who played Stones covers in his university band - insisted the singer accept the honour, according to Richards.

Sir Mick was accompanied by his father Joe, 92, and daughters Elizabeth, 19, and Karis, 32.

The singer's brother Christopher asked him if he would now have to call him Sir. "Only occasionally," was the reply.

Sir Mick was once regarded as an anti-establishment figure, convicted on drugs charges in 1967 - later overturned on appeal - and releasing an album called Their Satanic Majesties Request in the same year.

And that year, he told the BBC: "I don't really want to be part of the now establishment, but unfortunately you can't but help create your own establishment, and that's what we're doing."

Merseybeat star Gerry Marsden is also being honoured
The Stones have gone on to be one of the world's most successful and enduring rock bands, recently finishing a 14-month world tour to celebrate their 40th anniversary.

The date of Jagger's investiture was moved from Wednesday, the day when "man of the moment" England rugby hero Jonny Wilkinson was made an MBE.

Jagger will join a host of other names from the arts and entertainment world at the palace on Friday.

Arts honours

Fellow rock veterans Gerry Marsden, of Gerry and the Pacemakers, and Procul Harum's Gary Brooker, will be made MBEs for their charity work.

Artist Dame Elizabeth Blackadder will be invested as a Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire.

Head of London's Barbican Centre and former broadcaster Sir John Tusa will be made a Knight Bachelor for services to the arts.

And former president of the British Board of Film Classification, Andreas Whittam Smith, will be made a CBE for services to the film industry.

www.bbc.co.uk/news

[Edited by Zeeta]
12-12-03 07:30 AM
SHINE A LIGHT i really did not believe it would happen....wishful thinking perhaps. now, i'm speachless.
12-12-03 07:30 AM
egon still don't understand why only mick.

then again, there are a lot of things i don't understand...
12-12-03 08:15 AM
Zeeta HE RECIEVES HONOUR THEN HITS BACK AT KEITH!!!

Rolling Stones singer Mick Jagger has been knighted by Prince Charles - and played the honour down by saying he did not take it "too seriously".
Sir Mick, a rock legend after 40 years at the top, was honoured at Buckingham Palace for services to music.

Wearing a black suit and leather jacket, he said: "You should wear [honours] lightly and not get carried away with your own self-importance."

The prince conducted the ceremony because the Queen has had knee surgery.

Sir Mick, 60, said he was "very relaxed" with the prince because "I've met him quite a few times and we've had some nice chats".

I think he would probably like to get the same honour himself

Sir Mick Jagger on Keith Richards
"I don't get nervous, it's more exhilaration.

"It's very nice to have honours given to you as long as you don't take it all too seriously."

He also hit back at to bandmate Keith Richards' criticism of the "ludicrous" decision to accept a "paltry honour".

"I think he would probably like to get the same honour himself," Sir Mick said.

"It's like being given an ice cream - one gets one and they all want one. It's nothing new. Keith likes to make a fuss."

Richards had said he did not want to go on stage with someone wearing a "coronet and sporting the old ermine", adding: "It's not what the Stones is about, is it?"

Merseybeat star Gerry Marsden was also honoured
Tony Blair - who played Stones covers in his university band - insisted the singer accept the honour, according to Richards.

Sir Mick was accompanied to the palace by his father Joe, 92, and daughters Elizabeth, 19, and Karis, 32.

The singer's brother Christopher asked him if he would now have to call him Sir. "Only occasionally," was the reply.

Once regarded as an anti-establishment figure, Sir Mick was convicted on drugs charges in 1967 - later overturned on appeal - and released an album called Their Satanic Majesties Request in the same year.

Also that year, he told the BBC: "I don't really want to be part of the now establishment, but unfortunately you can't but help create your own establishment, and that's what we're doing."
12-12-03 08:34 AM
nankerphelge Made the CBS radio news last hour -- Mick was quoted as saying keith is a bit like "a balling child who wants an ice cream"

He he!
12-12-03 08:43 AM
SHINE A LIGHT THIS JUST CAME ACROSS MY NEWS...the queen is out of surgery,is doing well...but she also had some lesions removed from the facial area. i don't wish her any harm.
12-12-03 09:07 AM
Monkey Woman He looks pensive, but the outfit is quite sharp. Not bad!

Thanks for pointing us to the BBC News story, Zeeta. There's a few more Mick quotes on this page, including a video interview:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3312639.stm

The video:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/video/39628000/rm/_39628311_jagger12_statement_vi.ram
12-12-03 09:11 AM
Monkey Woman Jagger's biog from BBC online:

Jagger: It's only rock 'n' roll
Rolling Stone Mick Jagger was knighted at Buckingham Palace on Friday.
Back in the 1960s, parents from the same ilk as Jagger's - his father was a physical education lecturer, his mother a member of the Conservative Association - might have been scandalised by the behaviour of the pouting Stones singer.

While the Beatles were cheeky, when Jagger strutted his stuff on stage, every move seemed to signal a challenge to "respectable" standards.

But away from the gaze of the cameras, Jagger was discovered by many an interviewer to be a young man who still believed in the common courtesies.

For Mick Jagger, it seems, rebellion was never a passion, but more an indulgence.

As a grammar-school boy at Dartford in Kent, he won a scholarship to that hotbed of revolutionary thinking, the London School of Economics. But, as he confessed later, he found economics boring.

He was a keener student of Chuck Berry's rhythm and blues, and soon an early version of the Stones, featuring Jagger, guitarists Brian Jones and Keith Richards, and drummer Charlie Watts, was making its debut at the Marquee club in London in July, 1962.

Joined by bass guitarist Bill Wyman, they won a deal with Decca, and their first single, a cover of Chuck Berry's Come On, reached Number 21 in the charts.

By May, 1964, with the Jagger-Richards song-writing team now into its stride, the Stones' debut album had knocked The Beatles off the top of the charts.

The band then made its presence felt in the singles charts, with It's All Over Now, Paint it Black, 19th Nervous Breakdown and Hey You, Get Off of My Cloud.

The Stones conquered America, too, but their behaviour became a byword for excess. Jagger, Wyman and Jones were fined for urinating against a garage wall in 1965.

And two years later, Jagger and Richards maintained the outrage factor. They were given three-month prison terms for possessing drugs, although the sentences were later quashed, with Jagger being given a conditional discharge.

When Mick Jagger launched his acting career by portraying Ned Kelly in a film, the headlines were about his girlfriend, Marianne Faithfull, and her drugs overdose.

And while some critics acclaimed his acting in Performance, and he has since branched out into film production, it is Jagger's roles as lover and father which have preoccupied media attention for the past decade.

Divorce from Bianca Moreno de Macias was followed by marriage and estrangement from Jerry Hall, who gave birth to four of his reported seven children, but finally tired of his flings with a succession of women.

The final straw was when the Stones frontman fathered a son with the model Luciana Morad.

Critics of his knighthood point out that Mick Jagger lives in France and has not distinguished himself by his philanthropy.

But his honour is for services to music. As the Stones retain their power to pack 'em in on their world tours, that is altogether a less controversial subject.

As the band celebrated their 40th anniversary with the release of the compilation album 40 Licks, they embarked on another world tour - one which took them to new territories, including India.

Though the Sars outbreak affected their plans to play China, they did play Hong Kong later in 2003.

In July Jagger celebrated his 60th birthday with a scandal-free party in Prague. Perhaps, as his senior years beckon, he is leaving his rock bad boy days behind.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/entertainment/2045813.stm
12-12-03 09:30 AM
Monkey Woman And here's a very interesting audio interview:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/audio/39627000/rm/_39627289_jagger_wt_pollard.ram
12-12-03 09:30 AM
LadyJane Congratulations, Sir Michael!!

Hmmmm...Sir Mick and Lady Jane.....nice ring to it!

LJ.
12-12-03 09:36 AM
swapwoodfortaylor Nanker's comment (above) is the accurate report. I heard it Live on Sky and it was quite cutting.....unfortunately. I'm with Keef. Why accept an award normally reserved for greedy useless civil servants?! Why waste the time? Better to sit down with Keef at Redlands and write another JJF!
12-12-03 09:54 AM
LadyJane From Yahoo news:

LJ.
12-12-03 09:55 AM
SHINE A LIGHT the palace never gave anything to george harrison et.al either....just the so-called "front man" sir paul?? maybe those at the palace have a penchant for front men!!!
12-12-03 09:55 AM
moy

Rolling Stone Sir Mick Jagger, 60, poses for photographers with his proud 92-year-old father, Joe, and daughters Elizabeth, and Karis, right, after he received his Knighthood for services to popular music, during a ceremony held at Buckingham Palace by the Prince of Wales Friday Dec. 12, 2003. (AP Photo/Matthew Fearn, Pool)
12-12-03 09:56 AM
SHINE A LIGHT GREAT PIC....just look at mick's dear dad.
12-12-03 09:59 AM
moy

12-12-03 10:02 AM
moy
12-12-03 10:02 AM
UGot2Rollme more press
LONDON (Reuters) - Rolling Stones lead singer Mick Jagger, once a scourge of the British establishment, received its ultimate accolade on Friday when he was knighted by heir to the throne Prince Charles in a ceremony at Buckingham Palace.

"It was all rather wonderfully formal," the 60-year-old rock n'roll lothario told reporters after the ceremony in which Charles tapped him lightly on each shoulder with a sword.

Asked if he believed that he deserved the top British establishment accolade, the grinning Jagger replied: "Yeah."

The man who has fronted the legendary rock group for the past four decades, rejected suggestions that he had sold out to the establishment against which he had railed for so long.

"I don't really think the establishment as we knew it exists any more," he said with a slight toss of the head.

But showing at least a residue of rebellion, Jagger shunned the traditional top hat and tails, opting for a long black leather coat, purple scarf and sports shoes.

He took along his 92-year-old father Joe and two of his daughters to share the occasion.

Jagger hit out at fellow Stone Keith Richards who claimed he was betraying the band's principles by accepting the honor.

"It is a bit like a bawling child who hasn't got an ice cream," he said, declining further comment.

The craggy-faced Richards, whose drug and drink fueled lifestyle is the stuff of legend, told Uncut music magazine he did not want to share a stage with a knight.

"I don't want to step out on stage with someone wearing a coronet and sporting the old ermine," he complained.

The award puts Jagger on a ceremonial par with pop knights Sir Elton John and Sir Paul McCartney.

Jagger delayed his ceremony from earlier this week to avoid a clash with England's newest hero, Jonny Wilkinson, who secured the rugby world cup for England last month in Australia with a drop kick in the final's closing seconds.

Wilkinson picked up the lesser award of an MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire) on Wednesday.

12-12-03 10:03 AM
Pattie
Mick looks sexy! but I don't like the tie

and if this honour makes him happy then he should accept it. Lord knows, if anyone is worth getting prices and honours it's Mick and the stones
12-12-03 10:03 AM
moy
12-12-03 10:04 AM
Pattie
mmmmmm nice
12-12-03 10:07 AM
Monkey Woman Love the family photos!
Apparently, he could take only 3 guests to the palace. So he choosed "by order of seniority and availability".
12-12-03 10:31 AM
Monkey Woman And another video -- where you see the doorman opening the car's right door and Mick getting out on the ohter side. Ever the comedian, Mick!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/video/39627000/rm/_39627833_jagger11_lister_vi.ram
12-12-03 10:37 AM
Monkey Woman More pics:

[Edited by Monkey Woman]
12-12-03 11:03 AM
jb Isn't Keith going to be even more livid regarding MJ's remark? Mick must be really pissed at Keith as he almost never publicly takes a shot at him. I don't think this is a good omen for any upcoming tours/albums.
12-12-03 11:08 AM
nankerphelge Man he looks a bit chiba-faced in those last couple!

You don't suppose Mick put a buzz on beforehand??

And I agree that Mick's comment is gonna piss off Keith -- Keith can dish it out, but I don't think he can take it very well.
12-12-03 11:08 AM
Monkey Woman More on Mick's attire... A considerate paparazzo got a close shot of his shoes. Looks like the ones he wears for concerts. Cute, isn't it?

12-12-03 11:09 AM
Moonisup Micks father looks like Prince Charles, at least the ears do
12-12-03 11:11 AM
nankerphelge I thought he looked like the old guy Benny Hill used to pat on the head!
12-12-03 11:12 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Man he looks a bit chiba-faced in those last couple!

You don't suppose Mick put a buzz on beforehand??

LOL! It wouldn't be the first time Mick had turned to chemical support before a big event.
Page: 1 2 3