ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Storm Thorgerson
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dylan Live During the Infidels Years (ssc) Return to archive Page: 1 2
12-06-03 01:43 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I just found a few tunes online from '83-84, when Bob's band included the always-incredible Mick Taylor, although Ronnie chipped in on his albums every now and again. I never quite understood the allure of the Infidels album (too eighties-sounding for me - the booming drums and echoey vocals wreck a lot of it), but hearing some of the stuff the band's done (and having bought Real Live... I know! I know! Bad idea!), I can't help but wonder - what's the best live stuff from this period? I've gotten some MP3s from his Letterman appearance in '84, and it's fucking incredible. Even "Jokerman", a song that I hate on the album, sounds as rough and rocking as blues-punk band I went to see last night.

I can't believe he went to Empire Burlesque after having a band this good behind him.

-tSYX --- Whaoooaaahh Jokerman!
12-06-03 01:59 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:
I can't believe he went to Empire Burlesque after having a band this good behind him.

LOL. I don't think Bob really cares who's "behind" him. Maybe he doesn't even remember from one day to the next.
Cash is gone now. Bob is THE MAN. For now. Enjoy!!!
12-06-03 02:04 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

LOL. I don't think Bob really cares who's "behind" him. Maybe he doesn't even remember from one day to the next.
Cash is gone now. Bob is THE MAN. For now. Enjoy!!!

I know, and he knows, and fact is, that's what makes him so good. I think the fact that he's willing to ditch what he knows is a good thing to try something different, even if it winds up being less successful (Empire begat Knocked Out Loaded which begat Down In The Groove...).

But man, the Letterman performances are like a kick to the balls to anyone who thought he couldn't rock anymore, that he was just some Christian Rock softie.

-tSYX --- Take away this license to kill...
12-06-03 02:17 PM
glencar I don't remember much about BD from that time so I checked out those albums. I always liked "Sweetheart Like You" but not much else.
12-06-03 04:52 PM
Nasty Habits The Letterman performances sound like garage punk because the band he had for those performances were three punk rock kids from LA (Justin Jesting, Tony Marisco, and Charlie Quintana). They didn't even rehearse the first song they played at that show, Don't Start Me Talking. They knew it from a New York Dolls record, Bob knew it from a Sonny Boy Williamson record, and there you have common ground and rapport. Those three songs from the Letterman show are three of the best performances Bob Dylan ever gave, and I will stick them up there with anything with the Hawks, the Rolling Thunderers, or whohaveyou. But they sound nothing like the big fat turkey band with Taylor he took on the road with him in '84.

I DO think that Dylan cares about who's backing him up as when he has a band who can and will be spontaneous he does much better live work than if his band is a bit dull and predictable, but sometimes he just wants to coast while other times he wants to strive. Tom Petty shows I find utterly boring, but I find the Christian era stuff scintillating and sanctified.

Anyway, zizz, see if you can find video of Letterman, because it's as genius as the audio, and forget about anything else live in '84 -- Taylor's presence just isn't worth it.

As far as Infidels goes, there is a two CD set of outtakes called "Outfidels" that should tell you a nice thing or two about those songs. Before too much echo was added to Sly and Robbie's rhythm parts they sounded really good. There is a version of Jokerman with much better lyrics, and Sweetheart Like You is also vastly improved. But most importantly you need to hear the electric version of Blind Willie McTell (Taylor's finest moment on the Infidels sessions) and the unbelievably weird and rockin' Foot of Pride, which you can also find on the Bootleg Series vols 1-3. Infidels is an album best explored by finding the stuff that was left off, as it's pretty trashed in its final version. And listen to I & I until you think it is genius, because it is.
12-06-03 05:39 PM
Factory Girl Thank you Nasty.
12-06-03 07:18 PM
Gazza He didnt actually tour with the band that played on "Infidels", with the exception of Mick taylor of course.

The only tour was a 27 date European tour of mostly stadiums (Bob's only stadium tour although he has played them sporadically at other times) where he had Santana sharing the bill. the tour opened in Verona,Italy on 28th May and ended at Slane castle,near Dublin on 8th July.

The tour was preceded with that 3-song tour de force on the Letterman show on 22nd March, where Dylan was backed by The Plugz, a LA-based punk trio. The sound was very raw and different from the European shows. As said above, its an amazing performance, opening with Sonny boy williamson's "Dont start me talkin" which the band hadnt even REHEARSED before going on live network TV!! They then do a great "License to kill" and a speeded up "Jokerman" which has to be heard to believed. One of the best two or three TV performances of Dylan's career, up there with "Hard Rain" in '76 and "The Great Music Experience" from Japan in 1994.

The tour started out with a few ragged performances - especially on the opening night - but theres a lot of very good performances. The best show of the tour and a contender for Bob's best show in the 80's is the one from Barcelona on 28th June. Bob ends it with the best version of "Blowin' In the Wind" of all time. Theres a 5-song video recording of thiss how from Spanish TV which includes this song, worth looking for.
12-06-03 07:20 PM
glencar It's too bad Bravo or another NBC-owned cable net doesn't show the old Lettermans. They were classics & much more interesting than what's on now.
12-06-03 10:04 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Damnit! I'm downloading a video of them rehearsing, with Bob singing "I Once Knew A Man"... these guys are incredible!

If only my fucking download wouldn't cop out on me...

Bob should find them now and make an album with them!

If they're still alive...

-tSYX --- Ahhohhhh, I once knew a man...
12-07-03 01:42 AM
Prodigal Son Infidels kicks ass mired in his mostly mediocre slump from 1980-88. Too short on songs, but I think "Sweetheart Like You," "Union Sundown," "License to Kill," "Neighbourhood Bully" and "Don't Fall Apart on Me Tonight" are all awesome songs that sound curiously like Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits music thanks to his guitar work and production. Dylan sings surprisingly well on it too. My grade: B+.
Fortunately, his Christian period was done, but he slipped back into mediocrity with Empire Burlesque, Real Live, Knocked Out Loaded, Down in the Groove and Dylan & the Dead. Oh Mercy was great, but he had a couple good ones, a couple weak ones until he got onto his current roll in 1997. Hmmm, wonder when the next Bob album. Since 1993, he's done an album every 4 years, so get ready for it in 2006.
Ah, Dylan's career is a magnificent, and at times suddenly frustrating, portfolio.
12-07-03 08:45 PM
jpenn11 The one most people seem to have from 1984 is Live at Palaeur. Bob's voice is very upfront, but you can easily make out MT's sound. A number of the songs are Bob with only his acoustic. In any case, it is fun to hear MT do his Hendrix best on Watchtower. More info at bobsboots.com.

Both the Barcelona BITW and Letterman shows are on a CD called TV Guide, but I haven't heard them. (No burner, so the collection grows s---l---o---w--l---y. But now I am curious to hear whether Dylan outdid the Dolls on that Sonny Boy Williamson tune.)

12-07-03 09:07 PM
glencar The Stones(well, J&R anyway) did "Don't Start Me Talking" on a tribute album a few years back.
12-07-03 10:50 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
glencar wrote:
The Stones(well, J&R anyway) did "Don't Start Me Talking" on a tribute album a few years back.

To Bob or Sonny Boy Williamson?

DON'T START ME TALKING:

http://www.angelfire.com/blues/hellbent/01dsmt.mp3
http://www.angelfire.com/blues/redsky/01dsmt.mp3
http://www.geocities.com/facingthehell/01dsmt.mp3

LICENSE TO KILL:

http://www.angelfire.com/blues/saved/02ltk.mp3
http://www.angelfire.com/blues/loven/02ltk.mp3
http://members.tripod.com/infidels666/02ltk.mp3

JOKERMAN (infriggincredible):

http://www.angelfire.com/clone/gommorah/03jokerm.mp3
http://www.angelfire.com/blues/mrzimmy/03jokerm.mp3
http://www.angelfire.com/blues/infidels/03jokerm.mp3

-tSYX --- Doncha tell Henry...
12-08-03 02:47 AM
UGot2Rollme I saw Dylan on the Infidels tour at Wembley Stadium, with Santana and UB40 warming up. It was a very special show, with Van Morrison coming out to sing It's all over now, baby blue, and Clapton and Chrissie Hynde came onstage as well (does anyone remember what they played?). Special night, for sure, and Infidels is my favorite Dylan "rock" album.
12-08-03 10:13 AM
T&A The only really good soundboard from the '84 tour, unfortunately, is almost completely devoid of MT's guitar - the Rome show. Gazza's right - the one to get if you get just one from the tour is Barcelona...with Paris #2....
[Edited by T&A]
12-08-03 10:17 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
UGot2Rollme wrote:
I saw Dylan on the Infidels tour at Wembley Stadium, with Santana and UB40 warming up. It was a very special show, with Van Morrison coming out to sing It's all over now, baby blue, and Clapton and Chrissie Hynde came onstage as well (does anyone remember what they played?). Special night, for sure, and Infidels is my favorite Dylan "rock" album.

7 July 1984
Wembley Stadium

Highway 61 Revisited
Jokerman
All Along The Watchtower
Just Like A Woman
Maggie's Farm
I And I
License To Kill
Just My Imagination
Hard Rain (solo acoustic)
Tangled Up In Blue (solo acoustic)
It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding) (solo acoustic)
Simple Twist Of Fate
Masters Of War
Ballad Of A Thin Man
Enough Is Enough
Every Grain Of Sand
Like A Rolling Stone
Mr. Tambourine Man (solo acoustic)
Girl Of The North Country (solo acoustic)
It Ain't Me Babe (solo acoustic)
Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat
It's All Over Now Baby Blue
Tombstone Blues
Se�or
The Times
Blowin' In The Wind
Knockin' On Heaven's Door
12-08-03 11:16 AM
T&A By the way - for those who may not know it - the song Imagination (it's not Just My Imagination, but (Got to Use My) Imagination)) - is the ol' Gladys Knight song and it wasn't sung by Bob on the tour - it was sung by his bassist, Greg Sutton...
12-08-03 11:33 AM
UGot2Rollme thanks Lazy, it's all coming back to me now...
Knocking on Heaven's door with EC soloing...
12-08-03 12:26 PM
jpenn11 Thanks Xyzzy. Fine version by Dylan, but I'll stick with the Dolls. It may not be blues, but it does help me stick to the ceiling.
12-08-03 12:39 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Gazza wrote:
He didnt actually tour with the band that played on "Infidels", with the exception of Mick taylor of course.

The only tour was a 27 date European tour of mostly stadiums (Bob's only stadium tour although he has played them sporadically at other times) where he had Santana sharing the bill. the tour opened in Verona,Italy on 28th May and ended at Slane castle,near Dublin on 8th July.

The tour was preceded with that 3-song tour de force on the Letterman show on 22nd March, where Dylan was backed by The Plugz, a LA-based punk trio. The sound was very raw and different from the European shows. As said above, its an amazing performance, opening with Sonny boy williamson's "Dont start me talkin" which the band hadnt even REHEARSED before going on live network TV!! They then do a great "License to kill" and a speeded up "Jokerman" which has to be heard to believed. One of the best two or three TV performances of Dylan's career, up there with "Hard Rain" in '76 and "The Great Music Experience" from Japan in 1994.

The tour started out with a few ragged performances - especially on the opening night - but theres a lot of very good performances. The best show of the tour and a contender for Bob's best show in the 80's is the one from Barcelona on 28th June. Bob ends it with the best version of "Blowin' In the Wind" of all time. Theres a 5-song video recording of thiss how from Spanish TV which includes this song, worth looking for.

Actually, the only member of the Plugz that was in the Letterman band was Charlie Quintana, the drummer. The Plugz' first album, Electrify Me, is a great roots/punk records with south of the border twist - kind of like a rougher Los Lobos. They do a killer Spanish version of "Secret Agent Man" on the Repo Man soundtrack.

I don't guess I've heard Barcelona, Gazza -- it doesn't seem to be in my files. Wasn't aware of the video either. And I never considered the fact that there has to be circulating video of the Japanese "Great Music Experience" show either. What does that look like? Does Bob even play guitar? I don't know why, but I've always just pictured him standing there singing in a tux. "Ring Them Bells" is spectacular.

Any mention of Dylan's great television appearances has to include is performance of "Restless Farewell" for Frank Sinatra (even though the video is criminally edited, it is as good as the Letterman performances although very different in tone.). Also his version of "Hard Times" that he performed on that Willie Nelson TV Special from the mid 90s, and Train of Love, from the recent Johnny Cash tribute.
12-08-03 12:42 PM
T&A Nasty:

Good call on the Restless Farewell on Sinatra's 80th. One of the most moving, riveting and chilling performances by Dylan - ever! That one came completely out of left field and left me speechless. The look of awe on Frank's face was absolutely priceless.
12-08-03 12:54 PM
Nasty Habits Dylan's song was the only number performed at that show that wasn't a Sinatra identified tune. As I understand it, he performed "Restless Farewell" at Sinatra's request.
12-08-03 01:12 PM
T&A That's the story I heard, as well. Very interesting - the song is, thematically, very close to My Way, one of Frank's signature songs...
12-08-03 08:00 PM
Gazza You're right about "restless farewell" being played specifically at Sinatra's request. it was also the first time Dylan had performed it in 31 years! Gorgeous version, too!

>and Clapton and Chrissie Hynde came onstage as well (does anyone remember what they played?)

Clapton also played on "Senor", with Dylan teaching him the chords as the song progressed!
12-08-03 11:00 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Mmm. God bless the internet. I just found a killer version of "Changing Of The Guards" that he did in Seattle during the 1978 tour... really on fire, and he gets into it, like he's preaching. I think he'd already converted by this point, because he really sounds like he believes it.

What's the story behind the '78 tour? Whole lotta musicians, yeah, and apparently it was his most talkative. What was the deal? Someone told me he really got into Neil Diamond, or that making Street Legal while dealing with the divorce had driven him into poverty and out of his mind, or that he tried to talk out what he was thinking about onstage... what happened? And why, oh why, did it drive him to Slow Train Coming?

Say what you like about that crappy Christian Rock he put out - it gave him something new to wail about for awhile.

-tSYX --- Well, you gotta serve somebody...
12-08-03 11:15 PM
BILL PERKS MAC'S BOOK ALL THE RAGE TELLS THE STORY OF THE BAND AT THAT TIME,VERY DISORGANIZED AND POORLY REHEARSED..BUT THAT WAS DYLAN AT THE TIME.
12-09-03 01:56 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
MAC'S BOOK ALL THE RAGE TELLS THE STORY OF THE BAND AT THAT TIME,VERY DISORGANIZED AND POORLY REHEARSED..BUT THAT WAS DYLAN AT THE TIME.

'78 or '84? I know Mac was with Bob in '84, before Bob decided this year to become a piano player exclusively...

...whatever. Maybe the Stones could fire Chuck and hire Bob...

-tSYX --- Well, I do believe in miracles...
12-09-03 10:14 AM
T&A 78 was done to pay for the divorce and the Renaldo & Clara debacle. I remember hearing rumors that Bob's act was modeled on Elvis' (Bob was a big Elvis fan), who died the prior year... plausible.

Bob was highly criticized at the time (and still by some) for selling out as Vegas-style artist. Backup singers, etc. Some merit to the argument, but I also liked the arrangements and the intensity of the performances. His voice that tour was particular "nasal" in marked contrast to the two prior tours...
12-09-03 11:13 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:

Say what you like about that crappy Christian Rock he put out - it gave him something new to wail about for awhile.

-tSYX --- Well, you gotta serve somebody...

I used to feel that way about Bob's Christian phase, Xyz, but you should pay a little more attention to what is going on on Slow Train Coming and some of the live material surrounding those Christian records. Your phrase about Changing of the Guard, "He sounds like he really means it," is extremely true of some of the best live material from 79-80 is truly sanctified. And you think Bob talks a lot in '78, wait until you hear him preach! It's nuts. And a lot of the songs are really good, too, if you just give up the idea that you have to pledge allegiance to everything Bob believes. As a record, Slow Train is shot through with fear, anger and righteousness, and it's hard to beat Bob when he's angry, afraid, and righteous. Saved is a crappy album with crappy performances, although some of the songs are very good.

I suggest Massey Hall, Toronto, April 20th, 1980 for an introduction to live Dylan from the Christian period. It was recorded (and filmed) for potential release and would have proved a much better selling point for Christian Dylan than saved.

12-09-03 03:22 PM
Honky Tonk RDW#12&35 Actually, I'd recommend starting in '81 and working backwards. I am not as knowing with his Gospel era as others but do know that he played his old classics in '81. I'm not sure when he did in '80.

I was suggested to start in '81 and more backwards. I made the decision, before this comment, to listen to 11/16/1979 first. I did not take to it very well. However, when listening to some '81 stuff was floored.

Some of my favorites are Norway, "In the Summertime", Texas "You Can't Kill An Idea". I've not listened to much of the Gospel years.

Back on the note of Infidels, I know of a 4-cd set called "Surviving in an Alternate World" circulating. Lots of sessions on this puppy.
Page: 1 2